Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

dvemail wrote: »
    I think what we need more than anything is more pace.
    Would love to see us go back to the days with our face paced counter attacks. We changed the way we play to accommodate Fabregas, now he's long gone and were still trying to do the same.

Agreed with this tbh if we got a world class dm and a pacey winger i wouldnt turn my nose up at Remy, pace wins games with the amount of playmakers in this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I hope they dont get rid of him, he's definitely not up to leading the line every single match but if they bought someone better he'd still be a great option when rotation is required or we're hit with injuries. Even as 2nd choice I'd expect him to hit double figures handy enough.He gets a lot of flack, and he's deserved it lately but he's an above average striker and you couldn't ask for a better back up /plan B.

Giroud's going to hit 20 for the season, that's OK given that he's had **** all service and no rest. Obviously playing nearly every game means he'll score though.

Shocking that our no.2 striker, Sanogo, has never scored for us.

That right there is the problem.

This weekend? Us vrs our potential title rivals?

Fernandinho vrs Flamini
    Toure vrs Arteta
    Silva vrs Cazorla
    Nasri vrs Rosicky
    Ageuro vrs Giroud (is Ageuro fit?)

If you compare them then it's fairly clear we were goosed once all those injuries happened. We weren't prepared for them or for the tough runs of games.

Shocking no one effective was purchased in Jan.

Those injuries killed us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Raf32 wrote: »
    Agreed with this tbh if we got a world class dm and a pacey winger i wouldnt turn my nose up at Remy, pace wins games with the amount of playmakers in this team.

We've way too much reliance on our full backs to provide crosses and the pace on the wings. It's no coincidence Sagna hasn't looked the best offensively since Walcott has been injured. Add Ozil into that list for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

gosplan wrote: »
    Giroud's going to hit 20 for the season, that's OK given that he's had **** all service and no rest. Obviously playing nearly every game means he'll score though.

Shocking that our no.2 striker, Sanogo, has never scored for us.

That right there is the problem.

This weekend? Us vrs our potential title rivals?

Fernandinho vrs Flamini
    Toure vrs Arteta
    Silva vrs Cazorla
    Nasri vrs Rosicky
    Ageuro vrs Giroud (is Ageuro fit?)

If you compare them then it's fairly clear we were goosed once all those injuries happened. We weren't prepared for them or for the tough runs of games.

Shocking no one effective was purchased in Jan.

Those injuries killed us.

I agree with you on almost everything but saying Giroud has had **** all service is hardly true. The amount of chances he squanders against lesser teams is criminal. I agree there were a few games where he could have done nothing but they're in the minority, especially in the first half of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I agree with you on almost everything but saying Giroud has had **** all service is hardly true. The amount of chances he squanders against lesser teams is criminal. I agree there were a few games where he could have done nothing but they're in the minority, especially in the first half of the season.

Ah yeah no doubt. But he's the large guy who's supposed to set up the small fast guy.

He's be an amazing foil for someone like Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

That's amazing because after we lost 5 - 1 at Liverpool we only used 1 DM at home to Man Utd.
    After we lost 6 - 3 at City we only used 1 DM at home to Chelsea.

Your argument does not hold water unless you think Swansea are better than both Utd and Chelsea.

Negative attitudes comes with poor performances. Defending the indefensible Johnny no matter what it seems.

And surely you can see that after the 3rd time it happened it was necessitated more?

Allied to the fact we had much options unlike the cases you mentioned in that area with Ramsey and Wilshere out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And surely you can see that after the 3rd time it happened it was necessitated more?

Allied to the fact we had much options unlike the cases you mentioned in that area with Ramsey and Wilshere out.

He should have reversed his picking for those 2 games and you well know that.
    2 D.M.s against Chelsea and 1 against Swansea. Stop making lame excuses it does you no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Giroud 19 (13)
    Ramsey 13 (8)
    Podolski 8 (4)
    Ozil 6 (4)
    Cazorla 6 (4)
    Walcott 6 (5)
    Wilshere 5 (3)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Arteta 3 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 3 (2)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Bendtner 2 (2)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Flamini 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

bad2dabone wrote: »
    yep.

post-11413-Wheels-Fly-Off-Racecar-gif-ECKu.gif

only saving grace is evertons tough last 4 games.
    man u - ok not tough
    southampton - tough enough
    city - very tough
    hull - who knows.

nice gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I have to say that Liverpool play with a confidence and swagger that I'd love to see at Arsenal and haven't seen since the first half of 05

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I have to say that Liverpool play with a confidence and swagger that I'd love to see at Arsenal and haven't seen since the first half of 05

But we're improving :rolleyes:

:(

But we're improving :rolleyes:

the only thing we are improving is our ability to lose in spectacular style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Liverpool have the 2 best strikers in the league.. If we had even one of those we'd play sooo much better.

He should have reversed his picking for those 2 games and you well know that.
    2 D.M.s against Chelsea and 1 against Swansea. Stop making lame excuses it does you no good.

There' no doubt he got the Chelsea tactics wrong-nobody disputes that.

Its your reactionary rubbish that I am commenting on. As i say you'd be the very one slating again had he gone with Ox or Cazorla in the middle like Saturday and they played as badly.

• Advertisement

There' no doubt he got the Chelsea tactics wrong-nobody disputes that.

Its your reactionary rubbish that I am commenting on. As i say you'd be the very one slating again had he gone with Ox or Cazorla in the middle like Saturday and they played as badly.

He got BOTH wrong as you well know but continue to try and convince yourself that he was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He got BOTH wrong as you well know but continue to try and convince yourself that he was right.

What about his decision to bring Podolski on ? That was pretty good no ?

All will you find a way to turn that into a negative too ?

greendom wrote: »
    What about his decision to bring Podolski on ? That was pretty good no ?

All will you find a way to turn that into a negative too ?

Pod played well when he came on. He plays better when coming on as a sub in my opinion. He hasn't the legs to track back and defend though. Swandea had the lead and it suited Pod's game.
    On Sat when Chelsea attacked Pod and Gibbs were exposed. That side of the field was wide open. I saw that against Spurs too but they hadn't the firepower of Chelsea. That's why we should have played 2 DM's that day.

Pod played well when he came on. He plays better when coming on as a sub in my opinion. He hasn't the legs to track back and defend though. Swandea had the lead and it suited Pod's game.
    On Sat when Chelsea attacked Pod and Gibbs were exposed. That side of the field was wide open. I saw that against Spurs too but they hadn't the firepower of Chelsea. That's why we should have played 2 DM's that day.

So he learnt from Sat and made the right choice on Tuesday ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I preferred Ray Kennedy's at Spurs in '71.

Wow - we must be close in age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Tayto with his usual doom and gloom I see.

I knew the fall was going to happen but still it saddens me when it happens :( . You can't go into a league season with Giroud as your main striker, he's not good enough to win you titles. Plus not buying a world class defensive midfielder and speedy winger has come back and bit us on the ass. We ain't far away from a title winning team but Christ Wenger makes it hard on himself. spend a large amount of money on three to four top quality players during the summer and get a fit squad, no serious sells of our best players and we will win the title. It's not rocker science.

But we could have a step up from last season by actually winning a cup (it's not as easy now as it was a few weeks ago) and getting top 4 (that's turning into a battle, you bet the press and pundits be cheering on Everton and Spures). Let's cheer our team on until the end of season and then moan about what should be done, I demand better like most but been all negative like Tayto ain't doing us good.

So he learnt from Sat and made the right choice on Tuesday ?

No he didn't learn at all. Chelsea are no Swansea.
    We should have set up defensively against Chelsea and try stifle them and hope to hit them on the break. What we did was surrender midfield entirely and play into their hands. Murinho was quoted somewhere as being delighted to see the way we were set up.
    After losing against Chelsea we were then playing catch-up against Swansea and should have played a more attacking team. No 2 DM's in this game. A point or a loss was no good against them at that stage. We very nearly got away with it but alas we all know what happened. As an old manager of mine used to say "you get what you deserve in football."

Looper007 wrote: »
    Tayto with his usual doom and gloom I see.

I knew the fall was going to happen but still it saddens me when it happens :( . You can't go into a league season with Giroud as your main striker, he's not good enough to win you titles. Plus not buying a world class defensive midfielder and speedy winger has come back and bit us on the ass. We ain't far away from a title winning team but Christ Wenger makes it hard on himself. spend a large amount of money on three to four top quality players during the summer and get a fit squad, no serious sells of our best players and we will win the title. It's not rocker science.

But we could have a step up from last season by actually winning a cup (it's not as easy now as it was a few weeks ago) and getting top 4 (that's turning into a battle, you bet the press and pundits be cheering on Everton and Spures). Let's cheer our team on until the end of season and then moan about what should be done, I demand better like most but been all negative like Tayto ain't doing us good.

Aw shucks. It's plain to me that only a few posters on here ever played at a decent level.

No he didn't learn at all. Chelsea are no Swansea.
    We should have set up defensively against Chelsea and try stifle them and hope to hit them on the break. What we did was surrender midfield entirely and play into their hands. Murinho was quoted somewhere as being delighted to see the way we were set up.
    After losing against Chelsea we were then playing catch-up against Swansea and should have played a more attacking team. No 2 DM's in this game. A point or a loss was no good against them at that stage. We very nearly got away with it but alas we all know what happened. As an old manager of mine used to say "you get what you deserve in football."

I was fearful when I saw the team sheet for the Chelsea game, but you can understand wanting to start the Swansea game with safety in mind bearing in mind what the players had gone through just 3 days before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Liverpool are benefitting hugely from having played a lot less games than the teams around them in the league. If they had European football or a cup run to contend with they would not be flying like they are right now.

Next season will tell a lot about what kind of team they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I was fearful when I saw the team sheet for the Chelsea game, but you can understand wanting to start the Swansea game with safety in mind bearing in mind what the players had gone through just 3 days before

Minute I saw that team out for the Chelsea game I knew we were in for a long day. It was tactically one of the most naive team selections I have seen in a long time. Wenger has to improve his tactical nous or we will be in for more hiding's next season.

Paleface wrote: »
    Liverpool are benefitting hugely from having played a lot less games than the teams around them in the league. If they had European football or a cup run to contend with they would not be flying like they are right now.

Yes absolutely, they've done brilliantly this season but the lack of European football makes a huge difference both at the time having longer recovery time between matches and then towards the end of the season where fewer matches makes for less tired legs. And before people start down the

'professionals should be able to play 2 bloody games a week, paid millions etc etc etc"

football is won and lost on the finest of margins and the tiniest degree of difference in mental or physical tiredness can make the difference between scoring and conceding a goal.

Posters were saying that we would be well up for the Swansea game and we should have been. Wenger said we would get a reaction too. The players should have been fired up for this game after getting a rollicking (if indeed they did at all).
    Did you actually watch the first-half? It was extremely poor.
    We got 7 corners and not one troubled their defence.
    We got several free-kicks and the balls from Arteta were diabolical. How he is still taking frees amazes me.
    Oxo gave their player the freedom of the park to pick out the scorer of their first goal. Didn';t bother his barney closing or attempting to close him down and Vermailon was static and easily beaten in the air. It was probably their first attack in the game.
    When Gibbs and Sagna did get crosses in they put it to where Giroud had made a run from i.e. over his head.
    We did not need 2 DM's against Swansea and only 1 away to Chelsea.

FFS lads start watching the actual games. AND it's no harm pointing out bad play and bad tactics. That's what this thread is all about.

Posters were saying that we would be well up for the Swansea game and we should have been. Wenger said we would get a reaction too. The players should have been fired up for this game after getting a rollicking (if indeed they did at all).
    We got several free-kicks and the balls from Arteta were diabolical. How he is still taking frees amazes me.
    Oxo gave their player the freedom of the park to pick out the scorer of their first goal. Didn';t bother his barney closing or attempting to close him down and Vermailon was static and easily beaten in the air. It was probably their first attack in the game.
    When Gibbs and Sagna did get crosses in they put it to where Giroud had made a run from i.e. over his head.

FFS lads start watching the actual games. AND it's no harm pointing out bad play and bad tactics. That's what this thread is all about.

Were not good enough its simple as that Tayto, we haven't got the quality of players Chelsea and City do. Wenger has his faults but he can only do so much with this team, its not a squad capable of winning a league (yet) in my opinion plus injuries haven't helped our cause.

No daughter's first confession yesterday evening - only caught the second half and even that was on a very ropey stream. No argument with anything you've said there and I'm wondering where the FFS comes from. All I said was that I could understand playing with both Flamini and Arteta bearing in mind the mauling we received 3 days before. We lost to Swansea at home last season too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Were not good enough its simple as that Tayto, we haven't got the quality of players Chelsea and City do. Wenger has his faults but he can only do so much with this team, its not a squad capable of winning a league (yet) in my opinion plus injuries haven't helped our cause.

I honestly think injuries are the only thing holding this team back from winning this league, despite it not being the best team in the league.

I am aware of that Gringo but the players that are still fit should at least give their all. That's all we ask.

No daughter's first confession yesterday evening - only caught the second half and even that was on a very ropey stream. No argument with anything you've said there and I'm wondering where the FFS comes from. All I said was that I could understand playing with both Flamini and Arteta bearing in mind the mauling we received 3 days before. We lost to Swansea at home last season too.

Look I apologise for the FFS.
    I am still fairly upset about the lack of effort from our team and the poor tactics employed by our manager in the big games. The statistics tell their own story there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

L'prof wrote: »
    I honestly think injuries are the only thing holding this team back from winning this league, despite it not being team in it.

100% agree.
    People need to remember we've the following all out injured..

Walcott are best winger/scorer
    Ozil are best attacking mid
    Ramsey are best centr mid
    koscielny are best defender

You mix those players who are out with the horrible schedule we've had since January its not a surprise we've dropped points.

A few more additions to this team and we'll be up and challenging next year :).

L'prof wrote: »
    I honestly think injuries are the only thing holding this team back from winning this league, despite it not being team in it.
    I still think we are a few players short, we had a full strength team out against City away iirc and still were on the end of a heavy defeat. Same with Chelsea at home we failed to score and a poor Utd team took 4 points off us.
    I am aware of that Gringo but the players that are still fit should at least give their all. That's all we ask.

True. No Premier League team should be getting beat by such heavy scorelines on a consistent basis as we have been against the big teams, its really baffling that we havent seemed to have learned from our past mistakes :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    100% agree.

You mix those players who are out with the horrible schedule we've had since January its not a surprise we've dropped points.

While injuries are a massive problem for this team, I think the mental fragility of the side is as big, if not a bigger issue. How many times are we going to see the team capitulate when it matters? I know we can only go so far with this team, but our softeness is a continuous lingering issue that needs addressing. And even on some hypothetical dreamland where all our players are fully fit, I still don't think we're good enough to win the league. I'd carry on with Wenger for now but unless some things change, this cycle will carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Too easy to say this without giving credit to Rodgers. Having no European football is not enough reason for liverpool to be 5 points ahead of arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    100% agree.

I agree to a point, re your last sentence, has that not been the same thing we've all been saying for the last 6 or 7 years?

niallo27 wrote: »
    Too easy to say this without giving credit to Rodgers. Having no European football is not enough reason for liverpool to be 5 points ahead of arsenal.

Big credit to Rodgers he is doing a fantastic job but your above statement is ridiculous of course it would have an effect on team fitness and performance levels.

• Advertisement

Big credit to Rodgers he is doing a fantastic job but your above statement is ridiculous of course it would have an effect on team fitness and performance levels.

Yes but liverpool were miles off arsenal for the last few years. Is a couple of European games the difference.

You don't think the 10 additional games would make a difference of 5 points over the course of the season ?

Yes but liverpool were miles off arsenal for the last few years. Is a couple of European games the difference.

Well not the onlly difference of course. Liverpool have brought themselves up to Arsenal's level thanks to the form of Sturridge and Suarez.

Its not a couple its 8, take into account these are high intensity games against the very very best in European football (Napoli, Dortmund, Bayern) travelling etc. and thats is just Champions league, pretty sure we have played 3 more games in cups than you's too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

You don't think the 10 additional games would make a difference of 5 points over the course of the season ?

Went out of both cups earlyish too.

Its not a couple its 8, take into account these are high intensity games against the very very best in European football (Napoli, Dortmund, Bayern) travelling etc. and thats is just Champions league, pretty sure we have played 3 more games in cups than you's too.

I agree arsenal have had more games but arsenal were 10 or 15 points ahead of liverpool last few seasons. I'm not knocking arsenal. I have a lot of time for them but to put the difference down to extra games played it incorrect and not giving credit to liverpool.

• Advertisement

I agree arsenal have had more games but arsenal were 10 or 15 points ahead of liverpool last few seasons. I'm not knocking arsenal. I have a lot of time for them but to put the difference down to extra games played it incorrect and not giving credit to liverpool.

I did give Liverpool credit they have improved vastly and fair play its good to see a club do that on there own back and not just buying there success as the likes of Man City and Chelsea have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

No one is doubting they are a better team than they were last year.

But lets not forget they put a bit of investment into their squad in the summer too as well as holding on to Suarez.

Rogers has done a great job but I just think there are other factors as to why they are where they are than just managerial brilliance.

No one is doubting they are a better team than they were last year.

But lets not forget they put a bit of investment into their squad in the summer too as well as holding on to Suarez.

Rogers has done a great job but I just think there are other factors as to why they are where they are than just managerial brilliance.

Well what are they. It's the same team as last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭kildare75

Hi all, I just want to add my two cents, im a lifelong Liverpool supporter, and we are talking well over 30 years..( and yes I was in anfield in 89) but I just feel I have to say how much I admire your club and in particular your manager.
    For me, Arsene is the best manager I have seen. The quality of your football, and the way he turned your footballing style around from Georges team was unbelievable in such a short time.
    We are lucky enough to have a manager who just might do the impossible with us and make us champions for the first time in 24 years.If he does, it will truly be a miracle ,
    The problem as I see it with arsenal is simply ye guys lack a real leader..i know ramsey is a massive loss, but ye just don't appear to have a fella who when the chips are down, can really grab a game, we have Steven...and its shear hunger that's carrying him for us this season ( understandable I hope).
    Genuinely I think we might win the league this season, but I think ye will win the FA cup and ye will finish at least 4th, if someone offered me that before the season id have taken hand and all....I know ye guys have had champions league for years and years , so did we till a few seasons ago, and you only ever miss something when its taken away,
    believe me I know...
    but who do you honestly think can do as good or even better job than Arsene?
    for me the man is a class act...don't give up on the guy... sorry I don't wish to sound patronising...genuinely I don't...
    thanks for reading anyways
    keeping playing the beautiful game , the beautiful way...:)

Yet by your logic you wanted him or Cazorla playing central midfield with defensive responsibilities??

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement