Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

niallo27 wrote: »
    Too easy to say this without giving credit to Rodgers. Having no European football is not enough reason for liverpool to be 5 points ahead of arsenal.

Liverpool deserve credit - lots of it. They have their situation and playing to their strengths.

However if you take their 2nd and 3rd top scorers and principal attacking threats out for over 3 months of the season don't tell me where you would be where you are. It's the equivalent of removing Sturridge and Gerrard out of the team. That's the reality. And the fact Arsenal have played 12 games more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Liverpool deserve credit - lots of it. They have their situation and playing to their strengths.

However if you take their 2nd and 3rd top scorers and principal attacking threats out for over 3 months of the season don't tell me where you would be where you are. It's the equivalent of removing Sturridge and Gerrard out of the team. That's the reality. And the fact Arsenal have played 12 games more.

Rodgers had to deal without his entire back 4 being out. He had to deal without Suarez first 6 games, no sturidge for 8 games around Christmas. It's hasn't been all rosy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

Well what are they. It's the same team as last year.

I've already said what I think they are.

They still have to play 4 of the top 8 teams in their remaining league fixtures. If they are top of the league at the end then no one will argue that they were the best team!

Paleface wrote: »
    I've already said what I think they are.

They still have to play 4 of the top 8 teams in their remaining league fixtures. If they are top of the league at the end then no one will argue that they were the best team!

It's not about them being the best team though. Liverpool have been between 6 and 8th for the last few years to go and win the league would be miracle stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

In fairness Sturridge was out injured for 2 months in the middle of the season. Suarez was out suspended the first month.

That's 3 months of the season when one of them hasn't been available.

Rodgers had to deal without his entire back 4 being out. He had to deal without Suarez first 6 games, no sturidge for 8 games around Christmas. It's hasn't been all rosy.

I accept that. Thing is many would argue a lot of your back 4 is of a very very similar standard. None are by any means indispensable apart from Toure being a little bit of a liability.

Crazy. Yet you'll have the few Ostriches in here saying Wenger refused to spend:rolleyes:

Retweeted by GeoffArsenal RwKRd4rE_bigger.jpegGööner Next Döör ‏@gooner_TTT 2h

Last 8 seasons Net Transfer Flow

MCFC = -€649,995,000

CFC = -€398,955,000

MUFC = -€215,550,000

LFC = -€209,841,000

AFC = +€13,765,000

In fairness Sturridge was out injured for 2 months in the middle of the season. Suarez was out suspended the first month.

Yip Rodgers deserves great credit no doubt. I can't stand the way he talks though - not his sound just the way he seems about 90 the way he refers to people like the boy, etc. Petty I know but could never even warm to him at Swansea. Ye'l hardly sack him for this though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yet by your logic you wanted him or Cazorla playing central midfield with defensive responsibilities??

I wanted 2 DM's against Chelsea. I would have put Verm at left back and Gibbs/Monrael on the left of midfield. Either has the speed to defend and break forward. Podolski is poor at tracking back and assisting Gibbs when Gibbs is LB. Ox on the right ahead of midfield ahead of Sagna.
    Two banks of 4, our back line across or near the 18 yard line and the midfield just further ahead. I would have had Gnabry and Giroud playing too. Gnabry for his speed on the break (and for also tracking back, he's good at this actually) and Giroud for his hold-up play and strength in the air.
    We would have defended better I feel and offered speed on the break on both sides. I would have had Rolsicky on the bench as he's good to bring on and freshen things up.
    I think we would have given Chelsea something to worry about and prevent some of their wingers from attacking too as they would have been scared of our speed on the break.
    I don't know, obviously, if this would have worked but what happened was that we played into Chelsea's hands and failed to trouble them. At least it would have been something different. I wouldn't have played Cazorla either strange as it seems.

There's no point in putting the same formation and personnel out for every game.

Crazy. Yet you'll have the few Ostriches in here saying Wenger refused to spend:rolleyes:

Retweeted by GeoffArsenal RwKRd4rE_bigger.jpegGööner Next Döör ‏@gooner_TTT 2h

Last 8 seasons Net Transfer Flow

MCFC = -€649,995,000

CFC = -€398,955,000

MUFC = -€215,550,000

LFC = -€209,841,000

AFC = +€13,765,000

The fact that City have lost over half a billion in transfers is staggering! :eek:

@niallo27 There is your LFC miracle at work!

• Advertisement

I wanted 2 DM's against Chelsea. I would have put Verm at left back and Gibbs/Monrael on the left of midfield. Either has the speed to defend and break forward. Podolski is poor at tracking back and assisting Gibbs when Gibbs is LB. Ox on the right ahead of midfield ahead of Sagna.
    Two banks of 4, our back line across or near the 18 yard line and the midfield just further ahead. I would have had Gnabry and Giroud playing too. Gnabry for his speed on the break (and for also tracking back, he's good at this actually) and Giroud for his hold-up play and strength in the air.
    We would have defended better I feel and offered speed on the break on both sides. I would have had Rolsicky on the bench as he's good to bring on and freshen things up.
    I think we would have given Chelsea something to worry about and prevent some of their wingers from attacking too as they would have been scared of our speed on the break.
    I don't know, obviously, if this would have worked but what happened was that we played into Chelsea's hands and failed to trouble them. At least it would have been something different.

There's no

I don't disagree with you on the Chelsea game. You are correct IMO. I don't feel much different. I think he was unduly emboldened by the Spurs game.

That to me is a mistake. Not a sackable offence. Not a reason to leave the Club. That's my issue.

If we played Swansea before Chelsea we may well have played with only 1 DM. But surely you can see that we were f**ked up of slow starts and getting caught on the break and overturned in midfield and low on confidence and our only two options for the Central Midfield options both at nightmares against Chelsea and both were directly at fault for the first two goals?? No issue with safety first given the circumstances and lack of options in the position.

Restating I agree this should have been done against Chelsea but it was a mistake not a sackable offence.

Would you be calling for Ancellotti's head in Madrid tonight by the way??

The fact that City have lost over half a billion in transfers is staggering! :eek:

@niallo27 There is your LFC miracle at work!

Who is he making money for though. Are arsenal fans all going to get together and celebrate arsene balanceing the books. Them firgures go to show what a disgrace arsene wenger is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don't disagree with you on the Chelsea game. You are correct IMO. I don't feel much different. I think he was unduly emboldened by the Spurs game.

That to me is a mistake. Not a sackable offence. Not a reason to leave the Club. That's my issue.

If we played Swansea before Chelsea we may well have played with only 1 DM. But surely you can see that we were f**ked up of slow starts and getting caught on the break and overturned in midfield and low on confidence and our only two options for the Central Midfield options both at nightmares against Chelsea and both were directly at fault for the first two goals?? No issue with safety first given the circumstances and lack of options in the position.

Restating I agree this should have been done against Chelsea but it was a mistake not a sackable offence.

Would you be calling for Ancellotti's head in Madrid tonight by the way??

I never said I wanted rid of Wenger anywhere in any of my posts.
    I want him to concentrate on the football side of the club and to change his tactics for certain games and not be so predictable. Sunderland put up a great show against a very good Pool side tonight by giving every man a chore. We have a far better team and we put up no show several times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I don't think anyone is saying the Chelsea performance was a sackable offence, it's the consistent failure to perform well against the top sides in the league over a number of years that people have a problem with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Who is he making money for though. Are arsenal fans all going to get together and celebrate arsene balanceing the books. Them firgures go to show what a disgrace arsene wenger is.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Yes. Failing to blow hundreds of millions he didn't have, and then still finish 7th twice, what a disgrace.

He made the money to pay for the stadium. Rogers will have to do the same. Or will he?!

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

You laughed at lverpool all season, now they are 5 points clear.

He made the money to pay for the stadium. Rogers will have to do the same. Or will he?!

Was it up to him to pay for the staduim. Shocking if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Guess who got to play in the Champions League? Guess who has an FA cup to look forward to?

You guys are fond of saying there's no trophy for fourth. It's true. By the same argument though, there's no trophy for second or third, where you'll most likely end up, and we'll see how you do with a full schedule of games next year.

• Advertisement

Was it up to him to pay for the staduim. Shocking if it was.

Now you are just being pedantic. The club had to pay for it hence less money for players.

Now you are just being pedantic. The club had to pay for it hence less money for players.

Less money for players is fair enough but to make a profit, to be 200 million off next in the table. Arsenal has champions leage football, based in london, wenger could have attracted so many quailty players. It must be killing you,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Can we just agree that Liverpool are the best team there ever was

And we can go back to talking about the current arsenal team

What are you talking about?? That shows the restrictions he had to work under or are you incapable of understanding that??

Typical Liverpool fan that comes in here just for a "chat"

Few posts later calling wenger a disgrace

Jog on

What are you talking about?? That shows the restrictions he had to work under or are you incapable of understanding that??

He wasnt working under such restrictions that he had to make a profit though.

• Advertisement

I never said I wanted rid of Wenger anywhere in any of my posts.
    I want him to concentrate on the football side of the club and to change his tactics for certain games and not be so predictable. Sunderland put up a great show against a very good Pool side tonight by giving every man a chore. We have a far better team and we put up no show several times this season.

Tayto you well know that bigger teams get way more up for the big games. Liverpool were vulnerable tonight in terms of complacency. You know full well its not credible to say because Sunderland only lost 2-1 that it has a bearing on our result.

For what its worth we beat Liverpool twice this season.

I agree that I want a change and improvement in tactics for the big games starting Saturday.

Typical Liverpool fan that comes in here just for a "chat"

Few posts later calling wenger a disgrace

Jog on

A disgrace was wrong. I apologise.

30m profit actually

A disgrace was wrong. I apologise.

What I don't get niallo

Ye won tonight, yer 7 games away form yer first title in 24 odd years

And your in here telling us how much better Liverpool are than arsenal and having a go at wenger

Don't make any sense to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I agree that I want a change and improvement in tactics for the big games starting Saturday.

I'd like to see us just out playing for draws, and if we can sneak one then well and good, but going out open and getting murdered continously is tough to take.

• Advertisement

What I don't get niallo

Ye won tonight, yer 7 games away form yer first title in 24 odd years

And your in here telling us how much better Liverpool are than arsenal and having a go at wenger

Don't make any sense to me

Well i orginally responded to the point that the only reason liverpool were ahead of arsenal was because liverpool had no european football and it spiralled from there. I just wanted a bit of credit for our man Rodgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Only reading this thread now and why the hell are Liverpool fans in here gloating? I'd love to have their confidence, i suppose years of having to stay quiet would do that to ya.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Sometimes I click into the Arsenal thread, and I get totally confused. I start to question myself, "Did I click the wrong thread?". Then I question Boards, "Has boards accidentally sent me into the wrong thread?".

Finally, it dawns on me that I DID click the right thread, and Boards HAS sent me to the right thread, it's just got the wrong people in it.

Sigh.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Only reading this thread now and why the hell are Liverpool fans in here gloating? I'd love to have their confidence, i suppose years of having to stay quiet would do that to ya.

Well if you bother to read the posts you might think different but no jump to what ever gets you the most thanks.

Yes he was. He had a budget to work within and its the prime reasons we lost some of our top players for large transfer fees and could not compete on wages.

I accept you withdrew your ridiculoua comment but It seems you have no concept of the restrictions Wenger has had to work under.

Furthermore you appear to belittle the achievement of finishing top 4 when it suits yet ye are like squealing school girls in yer own thread about achieving it??

Rodgers is unbelievable, etc yet Wenger a disgrace. Yet since the move to the Emirates Liverpool have spent over 200 million more than Arsenal and have mostly languished outside top 4.

The irony is ye could have nearly buily yer own new stadium with all ye spurned and wasted on crap in those few years.

Dont be so quick to get carried away. Stadium redevelopment and 55 game seasons are just ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yes he was. He had a budget to work within and its the prime reasons we lost some of our top players for large transfer fees and could not compete on wages.

I accept you withdrew your ridiculoua comment but It seems you have no concept of the restrictions Wenger has had to work under.

Furthermore you appear to belittle the achievement of finishing top 4 when it suits yet ye are like squealing school girls in yer own thread about achieving it??

Rodgers is unbelievable, etc yet Wenger a disgrace. Yet since the move to the Emirates Liverpool have spent over 200 million more than Arsenal and have mostly languished outside top 4.

The irony is ye could have nearly buily yer own new stadium with all ye spurned and wasted on crap in those few years.

Dont be so quick to get carried away. Stadium redevelopment and 55 game seasons are just ahead.

200 million well spent.

I didn't see Arsenal buy Doni.

/Checkmate

:pac:

Well if you bother to read the posts you might think different but no jump to what ever gets you the most thanks.

tbh i have had enough of liverpool fans coming in here taking the mick after every result, i just dont really understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

While that's you have always had one available. Much like us the first half the season and we were doing well.

But imagine taking Suarez Sturridge and Gerard all out off the team at the team for a sustained period like Arsenal are going through since after Christmas and I think as much as Liverpool have been playing well and credit due to that no one can deny that would not have a huge impact on how there season has panned out just as it is on ours right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Balotelli scored this today.
    At least if we signed him we'd have someone for free kicks :pac:

Raf32 wrote: »
    tbh i have had enough of liverpool fans coming in here taking the mick after every result, i just dont really understand it.

Arseanl fans were knocking the achievements of liverpool this season and i just responded.

• Advertisement

I never belittled arsenal acheivents of coming top 4, I have alwasy praised wenger. I think Arsenal are bigger than top 4, they should be challenging and i think wengers refusal to spend has cost arsenal. Its just my opinion on arsenal, im not trying to rise anyone.

I never belittled arsenal acheivents of coming top 4, I have alwasy praised wenger. I think Arsenal are bigger than top 4, they should be challenging and i think wengers refusal to spend has cost arsenal. Its just my opinion on arsenal, im not trying to rise anyone.

But see that were most fans of rival clubs fail to understand he hasn't had any money to spend?

The stadium debts meant cash flow was at a minimum last summer was the first time revenue was being freed up due to more managable stadium debts and new commercial deals and what happened we bought Ozil ;).

As I already said before Rome wasn't built in a day and Arsenal have been building there's for ten years the stadium was laying down the foundations Ozil signing for me was the first block above ground and one that signals things can begin to look up again.

Criticise Wenger for his tactics at times, the mentallity of his teams but for not spending money is a far to often used when it just not true.

But see that were most fans of rival clubs fail to understand he hasn't had any money to spend?

The stadium debts meant cash flow was at a minimum last summer was the first time revenue was being freed up due to more managable stadium debts and new commercial deals and what happened we bought Ozil ;).

As I already said before Rome wasn't built in a day and Arsenal have been building there's for ten years the stadium was laying down the foundations Ozil signing for me was the first block above ground and one that signals things can begin to look up again.

Criticise Wenger for his tactics at times, the mentallity of his teams but for not spending money is a far to often used when it just not true.

Im not knowlegable on how arsenal run their football club but drom looking in from the outside things cant have been that tight that he actaully had to make a profit.

More than all season to be fair.

andy-carroll_1815701c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I dunno what the tiff is here lads. If you ask any Liverpool fan who'd they would like to see win the league (apart from LFC obviously) 99% would say Arsenal.

In an era where it's the done thing to spunk a couple of hundred million on star players to compete, Wenger has had Arsenal competing at the top end of the toughest league in the world for a long time and consistently delivering CL football while not blowing the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

But imagine taking Suarez Sturridge and Gerard all out off the team at the team for a sustained period like Arsenal are going through since after Christmas

Will people stop using this stupid excuse!!

So what if they are injured?

Everyone get's injuries, we just get more than most because our players like Theo, Wilshere, Ramsey are injury prone.

Those 3 in particular get injured every season and will continue to get injured every season, accept it people and stop making excuses, they can't be relied upon and quality cover is needed.

Suarez is built like a tank and rarely injured, Gerrard the same.

We had Henry, Dennis and Vieria completing full seasons back in the day.

We need a way bigger than every other team because our lot are way more injurie prone, simples.

Only 10 players have played more than 70% of our games this year.

Look at the bottom 10 players, Ryo, Park, Sanogo, all useless and haven't played.

We have 22 players including 2 keepers that are any good and 8 of them have played less 50% of the games this season.

Gross mismanagement by Wenger.

2bbcys.jpg

Jesus it bad times when your own so called fans come in and take your posts out of context. The morons always come out in force when the chips are down but slink away when times are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Jesus it bad times when your own so called fans come in and take your posts out of context. The morons always come out in force when the chips are down but slink away when times are good.

Are you calling me a moron?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So given that we're so impressed with Wenger's methods in the face of Man City and Chelsea's spending, it's really hypocritical for any Arsenal fan to support anyone but Liverpool for the title.

But Jesus are their fan's quick to let you know who's higher up the table. I don't remember too many Arsenal fans going into their thread for 'chats' when we were easily dispatching them.

And it's not just boards either. They're carrying on like they're Man U fans winning 3 in a row or something. But Man U fans were always more humble.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    So given that we're so impressed with Wenger's methods in the face of Man City and Chelsea's spending, it's really hypocritical for any Arsenal fan to support anyone but Liverpool for the title.

But Jesus are their fan's quick to let you know who's higher up the table. I don't remember too many Arsenal fans going into their thread for 'chats' when we were easily dispatching them.

And it's not just boards either. They're carrying on like they're Man U fans winning 3 in a row or something. But Man U fans were always more humble.

the amount of texts i have got from liverpool fans crawling back out of the woodwork in the last few months is brutal. Along with the ones coming in here looking to annoy us, i really dont want to see them win it. Really like the club, play good football, rodgers doing a brilliant job and has to be admired but cant take the fans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement