Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

If you want to finish higher than 4th then winning a Everton is a must imo.

It would be nice to pip Chelsea to 4th, I reckon it would require maximum points for us. If we get ozil and Ramsey back and on form it's possible. Everton a decent side, think we'll draw there though.
    Good result for Liverpool today. Tonnes of momentum behind them. Ominous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it will be, they've only lost once there. i wouldn't be as confident as the others but that's their reason.
    I think a draw could even be enough but a win would do it.

after that arsenal should take 15/15, everton i think will get around 14/18 at most

I think a draw will be fine for 4th, but I think a draw will rule out the chances of 3rd with Chelsea's schedule. If I was Wenger I'd be going there with the main aim to avoid a defeat anyway. He has to make sure of 4th spot really.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    It would be nice to pip Chelsea to 4th, I reckon it would require maximum points for us. If we get ozil and Ramsey back and on form it's possible. Everton a decent side, think we'll draw there though.
    Good result for Liverpool today. Tonnes of momentum behind them. Ominous.

You to 3rd I take it? Yea excellent result. I still very much think it's City's to lose though. All they need is a draw at anfield and against Sunderland we didn't look great at breaking them down. Spurs were woeful today and the fact they needed to win was a big help(their manager being completely inept was another big help).

Spurs were rotten today but got hammered. If someone turns up against Liverpool and they're not on their game then they're going to have a very long ninety minutes. City are still in the driving seat, but it's not going to be easy for them. Not at all. The anfield game is just going to be absolutely massive. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

niallo27 wrote: »
    After the Swansea result can you really be confident about 15/15 plus with a cup semi final and final in there.

i'd forget about the swansea result, fluke equaliser after a beating, yesterdays' second half performance should stop be enough to put that behind them.

they've beaten who they should be beating for most of the season and the last 5 are them type of teams

the final is on after the league ends, lose at everton and it could be tight, GD maybe
    I think a draw will be fine for 4th, but I think a draw will rule out the chances of 3rd with Chelsea's schedule. If I was Wenger I'd be going there with the main aim to avoid a defeat anyway. He has to make sure of 4th spot really.

even if they beat everton - getting max of 82 - i don't think they'd even get 3rd with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sherwood supposedly decked one of the spurs players :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Raf32 wrote: »

Once a Gooner, always a Gooner :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Still lots to play for I will concede sadly we are out of the the running for the title :(.

But with games left Im more looking at who is above us and not who is behind us. A lot of twists and turns left.

If we can get some players back and them to hit the ground running we could have a very string end to the season.

As long as we don't have any more press conference were it is confirmed x and Y player have suffered a set back and are two weeks away from returning again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can't understand posters thinking we will steamroll the teams under us at all.
    We didn't do it to Swansea and many others before that.
    Again, there are NO easy games in the EPL as they all have the potential to be a banana skin.
    Fourth is by no means guaranteed and I hope the players don't think it is either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I can't understand posters thinking we will steamroll the teams under us at all.
    Again, there are NO easy games in the EPL as they all have the potential to be a banana skin.
    Fourth is by no means guaranteed and I hope the players don't think it is either.

More often than not we do the job against the type of team we have left to play.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    More often than not we do the job against the type of team we have left to play.

Would Swansea not have been a team like that though?

Would Swansea not have been a team like that though?

Look back over the season's results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

How many others?

Irish Aris wrote: »
    How many others?

Loads of times we have failed to beat teams below us.
    Taking teams for granted is mad and a bit arrogant.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    How many others?

Stoke, Villa, West Brom. Just dont think we should be overconfident, avoid defeat next week and we should be ok though.

• Advertisement

Sorry, but 4 times in a the whole season doesn't qualify as loads of times for me.

Teams we have lost to this season:
    Chelsea, Stoke, Liverpool, Man City, Man United and Aston Villa.

Teams we have drawn against this season:
    Man City, Swansea, Man United, Southampton, Chelsea, Everton and West Brom.

More often than not we have done the job against the teams further down the table. It's the bigger teams we have struggled against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A loss next week will make things tight but I still think we'll finish 4th looking at the respective teams fixture lists and that our midfield should be welcoming back Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil and dare I say it Diaby before too long

Raf32 wrote: »

I heard Soldado tried to punch him back.

but missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I heard Soldado tried to punch him back.

but missed.

I remember some panic and frustration last year at our transfer policy which is justified at times but what really stands out now was people saying we missed out on Soldado and Lamela!

Might come good yet but realistically you would have expected a lot more from them and the rest of the £100 million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

right lads i had one of those bets where i say that i bet if this comes true then x will come true too and it always happens!
    So i was having a nice long hot bath with the TV on in the other room and a movie came on and i tried to guess what the movie is. I guess it was Star Trek as it sounded like it! The bet is that if i am right, Liverpool will win the league this season. When i came out of the bath , The movie was not Star Trek, it was Oblivion, Now on SKY movies right now if you dont believe me

So im sorry liverpool fans, You are not winning the title!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Once a Gooner, always a Gooner :D

Agent Sharewood doing a fantastic job for the gunners in taking out one of our main 4th place rival. excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Agent Sharewood doing a fantastic job for the gunners in taking out one of our main 4th place rival. excellent

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Glad to see you've woken from your 12 month coma mate :pac:

Well as long as Tiger Tim is over Shockingham Cockspurs we'll at least make the Europa league. Unfortunately at the other side of Merseyside they have a very shrewd man at the helm in Martinez and very good attacking options in Coleman, Mirallas and Big Ross Barkley.

I remember some panic and frustration last year at our transfer policy which is justified at times but what really stands out now was people saying we missed out on Soldado and Lamela!

Might come good yet but realistically you would have expected a lot more from them and the rest of the £100 million.

Fair point but in all fairness we needed better strength in numbers and the fact is we bought one injured player in January is really really frustrating. A great chance blown. None of those teams in the hunt are world beaters. City are very vulnerable at the back and Chelsea are certainly nowhere near as good as 6-0. We made them look like Barcelona with sheer slackness.

God above....Michael Owen is one clueless insufferable clown. He's on MOTD now shíting on about Benteke and why Chelsea or Arsenal didnt go for him. Ill give you a clue you dope.....11 bloody goals this season. A classic case of second season sulk but according to Michael this 'young and hungry' striker was there for the taking.

By my maths, if we beat Everton, four wins out of our remaining five will guarantee top four regardless of what they do.

9 points will guarantee us finishing above United and 11 for spurs.

according to Michael this 'young and hungry' striker was there for the taking.

he was - for 25 million.

which would have been a huge amount of dosh on a guy with 1 good season under his belt.

now he's worth 10-15m max.

he was - for 25 million.

which would have been a huge amount of dosh on a guy with 1 good season under his belt.

now he's worth 10-15m max.

And for a measly eleven goal return that would be very expensive. Jasus we'd give out about Giroud who has hit more. Benteke had all the hallmarks of an Adebayor about him. Was never convinced he could be as good the following year.

• Advertisement

And for a measly eleven goal return that would be very expensive. Jasus we'd give out about Giroud who has hit more. Benteke had all the hallmarks of an Adebayor about him. Was never convinced he could be as good the following year.

You'd really expect Giroud to score more goals considering the quality of players he plays along side. In saying that they're isn't much difference between them in the PL which doesn't say much for Giroud really.

Giroud - 29 games, 13 goals
    Benteke - 25 games, 10 goals

You'd really expect Giroud to score more goals considering the quality of players he plays along side. In saying that they're isn't much difference between them in the PL which doesn't say much for Giroud really.

Giroud - 29 games, 13 goals
    Benteke - 25 games, 10 goals

Giroud is living off scraps in fairness. Yes his touch can be off but he'll always beat his man to a header or get a foot on the end of a cross and yet as Stan Collymore alluded to, we just dont stretch the play enough. Olly needs wide men to be putting him in more ball. Whats both their assist rate like?

I reckon when Theo and Ramsey were there Girouds stats looked very healthy because they were queing up and kept defenders on there toes. Both of their absences have been the real drawback to our season.
    Santi just isnt offering the same threat and i question his application tbh. Ozil at least is good to read the play but needs to fight better at holding off men and fighting to get the ball back within a few seconds. In terms of shielding the back four i remember Diaby doing it very effectively at Anfield last year and being effective at setting up the counterattacks ala Vieira or Yaya Toure.

Another year of 'if onlys'. Its becoming the unofficial club motto at this stage

Giroud is living off scraps in fairness. Yes his touch can be off but he'll always beat his man to a header or get a foot on the end of a cross and yet as Stan Collymore alluded to, we just dont stretch the play enough. Olly needs wide men to be putting him in more ball. Whats both their assist rate like?

I reckon when Theo and Ramsey were there Girouds stats looked very healthy because they were queing up and kept defenders on there toes. Both of their absences have been the real drawback to our season.
    Santi just isnt offering the same threat and i question his application tbh. Ozil at least is good to read the play but needs to fight better at holding off men and fighting to get the ball back within a few seconds. In terms of shielding the back four i remember Diaby doing it very effectively at Anfield last year and being effective at setting up the counterattacks ala Vieira or Yaya Toure.

Another year of 'if onlys'. Its becoming the unofficial club motto at this stage

The service Benteke gets probably isn't brilliant either. He lives off even less than Giroud would. If I was given a straight pick between them I would take Benteke, I supoose when you throw in the cost of him it's a difficult one. I do think he'd be a very good players for a better team than Villa. I think he's much more of a physical handful as well and that is something that would been very useful this season with the players you had missing. Giroud on his own up top is easy to mark, he's never going to out run you and he's never going to out muscle you. At least Benteke can the latter.

The service Benteke gets probably isn't brilliant either. He lives off even less than Giroud would. If I was given a straight pick between them I would take Benteke, I supoose when you throw in the cost of him it's a difficult one. I do think he'd be a very good players for a better team than Villa. I think he's much more of a physical handful as well and that is something that would been very useful this season with the players you had missing. Giroud on his own up top is easy to mark, he's never going to out run you and he's never going to out muscle you. At least Benteke can the latter.

I think at most they are like for like and id take Giroud on attitude alone. Benteke put in a transfer request when the last ball was barely kicked last year. I dont think he is all that and certainly not 25m worth. Anyways i think we deserve better then either. Personally while Villa have been píss poor, Benteke hasnt exactly led from the front this year.

It's sad when people think Benteke is a solution. He's a one season wonder at best. I'd take Giroud every day if it was between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It's sad when people think Benteke is a solution. He's a one season wonder at best. I'd take Giroud every day if it was between the two.

The lads only 23 ffs!
    His stats ain't far off Giroud's.. And thats in a possible relegation side team.

I'd happily take him as a backup until he hits is potential. 2 years with us and he'd be lethal.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Would probably rather Benteke myself too although I wouldn't exactly be delirious if he emerged as a target for us. Need to aim much higher.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

How much do you think AW would pay for Suarez now if he was offered him?

Hyzepher wrote: »

in before the 40,000,002

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Does it really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Big game Sunday fancy us to win 2-1 and then march on into 3rd spot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

13 years ago today David Rocastle passed away. R.I.P Rocky. (2 May 1967 – 31 March 2001)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Does it really matter.

Well it would highlight that penny pinching rarely is a good strategy.

If AW has regrets over Suarez then maybe his transfer policy might change to reflect that

If AW has regrets over Suarez then maybe his transfer policy might change to reflect that

True but guessing how much he would pay now is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

After the performance on Saturday I am a lot more confident than I was before.

I dont think we were as dominated in the first half as some have written and we played very well in the second half.
    I think we can go there and win on Sunday and hopefully finish the league strongly and win the long awaited pot in Wembly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Thought Cazorla was great on Saturday. The poor fella really is a victim of his own adaptability. His best position is clearly CAM but he is always forced out to the wing and then people start complaining when he doesn't track back or perform as well as he can.

If we were injury free we really would be stacked in nearly every position. One striker, one DM and a full back and we're sorted. Hopefully Sagna doesn't leave because we could use him for another year. I think we can challenge big time next year if things go our way.

Thought Cazorla was great on Saturday. The poor fella really is a victim of his own adaptability. His best position is clearly CAM but he is always forced out to the wing and then people start complaining when he doesn't track back or perform as well as he can.

If we were injury free we really would be stacked in nearly every position. One striker, one DM and a full back and we're sorted. Hopefully Sagna doesn't leave because we could use him for another year. I think we can challenge big time next year if things go our way.

Agreed but i really want to see the majority of our business done before the world cup this year. Give the team a whole preseason together and add a few squad players later on in august

I think it's absolutely crucial to get third and the FA Cup this year to help in the signing of the players we need.

If we get 4th, a lot of players that we want will wait to see if we get through the qualifying round (August 27th last year) which means they won't have time to bed in with the team.

Also, (as improbable as it is) Chelsea and United are still in with a shout of winning it, which would mean 4th is Europa...

True but guessing how much he would pay now is pointless.

I think it's absolutely crucial to get third and the FA Cup this year to help in the signing of the players we need.

If we get 4th, a lot of players that we want will wait to see if we get through the qualifying round (August 27th last year) which means they won't have time to bed in with the team.

Also, (as improbable as it is) Chelsea and United are still in with a shout of winning it, which would mean 4th is Europa...

Never mind Chelsea, they are in the top-4 anyway.
    I would like to see how Utd will get through Bayern. . .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement