Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If chelsea were to win the champions league and we came fourth we wouldnt need a qualifier but no way do i want that to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think it's absolutely crucial to get third and the FA Cup this year to help in the signing of the players we need.

If we get 4th, a lot of players that we want will wait to see if we get through the qualifying round (August 27th last year) which means they won't have time to bed in with the team.

Also, (as improbable as it is) Chelsea and United are still in with a shout of winning it, which would mean 4th is Europa...

4th will only get Europa if Utd win it or we win it and finish outside the top 4.

I cant see the current top 4 changing anyway, Everton will ultimately miss out but its great to see them doing well on Martinez, the allusion that Moyes had them punching above there weight is dead IMO, the fact Martinez came in and changed there style and approach and still to acheive a top 5/6 finish, shows how well Martinez has done.

Raf32 wrote: »
    If chelsea were to win the champions league and we came fourth we wouldnt need a qualifier but no way do i want that to happen

We wont win dont worry, we'll be doing well to beat PSG IMO.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    We wont win dont worry, we'll be doing well to beat PSG IMO.

Nothing against yee its just Jose i dont like. Ah i think yee could edge them out, important having the second leg at home.

Nothing against yee its just Jose i dont like. Ah i think yee could edge them out, important having the second leg at home.

Well we do play better against the bigger teams but PSG are slightly better across there starting XI, player v player but home advantage in the 2nd leg is crucial.

I'd be slightly surprised if we beat them TBH but int he semi finals it looks like it will be Bayern, Barca and Real who are favourites in there ties, Barca/Atletico is tough to call but I'd give them a slight edge even with Valdes out.

Facing that kind of Semi Final draw looks very daunting, even if Atletico get through they're no mugs and are going very well in Spain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Well we do play better against the bigger teams but PSG are slightly better across there starting XI, player v player but home advantage in the 2nd leg is crucial.

I'd be slightly surprised if we beat them TBH but int he semi finals it looks like it will be Bayern, Barca and Real who are favourites in there ties, Barca/Atletico is tough to call but I'd give them a slight edge even with Valdes out.

Facing that kind of Semi Final draw looks very daunting, even if Atletico get through they're no mugs and are going very well in Spain.

Not a bad worry to have!

Not a bad worry to have!

A potential semi final appearance would be sandwiched either side of our trip to anfield, which would make a difficult weekend even harder.

A potential semi final appearance would be sandwiched either side of our trip to anfield, which would make a difficult weekend even harder.

True but all the top teams except pool have had this dilemma. None more so than arsenal plus the horrendous injury list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Giroud 19 (13)
    Ramsey 13 (8)
    Podolski 8 (4)
    Ozil 6 (4)
    Cazorla 6 (4)
    Walcott 6 (5)
    Wilshere 5 (3)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Arteta 3 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 3 (2)
    Flamini 2 (2)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Bendtner 2 (2)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Very disappointing that Ramsey and Walcott are still our 2nd and 3rd top scorers in the league, I know few of our attackers have had an injury free season but I was expecting Podolski and Cazorla to improve on their records this season.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Giroud 19 (13)
    Ramsey 13 (8)
    Podolski 8 (4)
    Ozil 6 (4)
    Cazorla 6 (4)
    Walcott 6 (5)
    Wilshere 5 (3)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Arteta 3 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 3 (2)
    Flamini 2 (2)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Bendtner 2 (2)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

Look how high Rambo is after not playing for the last 3 months :(

Really have to look at our squad depth. You'd think we're covered, but facts don't lie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pod's goals to games ratio must be pretty good considering he's played nowhere near as much as last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Very disappointing that Ramsey and Walcott are still our 2nd and 3rd top scorers in the league, I know few of our attackers have had an injury free season but I was expecting Podolski and Cazorla to improve on their records this season.

Not too surprised at Caorla really, last season was the most goals he'd ever scored in a season over his entire career so I was only expecting about 8-9 goals out of him which I expect he will hit before season end.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Giroud 19 (13)
    Ramsey 13 (8)
    Podolski 8 (4)
    Ozil 6 (4)
    Cazorla 6 (4)
    Walcott 6 (5)
    Wilshere 5 (3)
    Rosicky 3 (2)
    Arteta 3 (2)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 3 (2)
    Flamini 2 (2)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Bendtner 2 (2)
    Koscielny 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)
    Interesting reading cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    The lads only 23 ffs!
    His stats ain't far off Giroud's.. And thats in a possible relegation side team.

I'd happily take him as a backup until he hits is potential. 2 years with us and he'd be lethal.

It's first team we need, not back up. We need to improve on Giroud, Arteta etc. not sign back up for them. We need someone who will push them into being back up players.

BkDMXuLIcAA19Pp.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

BkDMXuLIcAA19Pp.jpg

:pac:

Who managed to spell "neither" like that? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It's first team we need, not back up. We need to improve on Giroud, Arteta etc. not sign back up for them. We need someone who will push them into being back up players.

I agree.
    We won't sign him while Giroud is here anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Who managed to spell "neither" like that? :D:D

Sacha Riether....
    Maybe they followed the I before E except after c rule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

carraig2 wrote: »
    Sacha Riether....
    Maybe they followed the I before E except after c rule

Well they followed the wrong rule in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

is this the chelsea thread?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

is this the chelsea thread?

No, but GavRedKing wouldn't come in here looking to troll, so I think it's okay.

I don't mind discussing anything in here, but I hate when it starts to turn into a flame war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ended up reading some in the Liverpool thread out of sheer boredom. Now they are a sanctimonious bunch at the best of times but they are going to be nothing but insufferable if they actually win this. Please don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Liverpool fans are right to be excited and I hope there enjoying every minute of it

It's only when the come in here having a pop is what irks me

What they do in there own thread is grand, I'm sure we would be excited too if we were In there position.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Liverpool fans are right to be excited and I hope there enjoying every minute of it

What they do in there own thread is grand, I'm sure we would be excited too if we were In there position.

you're right.

damn your sensible ways!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jasus never would have seen that appointment coming Cygan's back :pac:.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/03/former-invincible-to-join-arsenal-board/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The bit at the end about cryo-homeopatic baths is interesting though hopefully a sign the club is taking the amount of injuries we suffer seriously.

http://news.arseblog.com/2014/03/former-invincible-to-join-arsenal-board/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The bit at the end about cryo-homeopatic baths is interesting though hopefully a sign the club is taking the amount of injuries we suffer seriously.

It got me until that part..

B'stard!

Yano if fourth gets wrapped up i wouldnt mind seeing Ozil up top for a few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Yano if fourth gets wrapped up i wouldnt mind seeing Ozil up top for a few games

Your joking right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I thought there was something a bit off when I realized just how big and out of place Cygan's head is in the picture.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Your joking right?

it could work. Fabregas plays up top for barca before and did well. false 9 mate

its been 50 years since they last won the league so they would be excited

Your joking right?

Yup Im actually serious, if fourth is secure why not? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Why don't we stick Gibbs in goal, Chez in centre mid, and Mert on the LW for the hell of it. :)

I never believe any news on Apr 1st, but according to Arseblog, Diaby is back in full training today.

Poor guy, hope he makes it this time, after all look at Rosicky. But I'd say he hasn't a hope in getting to the world cup like he wants to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

its been 50 years since they last won the league so they would be excited

We'd need a Messi though.

Obviously everyone needs a Messi and all but I think him breaking from deep and scoring so many goals basically made that formation at Barca work.

All in all i think this year Wenger is trying some kind of half arsed Barca tactic. keep the ball, pass it around, look for the opening and basically load the pitch with midfielders that can do this.

The problem we have is we play Giroud who is totally isolated and not in the game (just like Ibramovich at Barca), and where Barca were doing it with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi, we're currently trying it with Arteta, Cazorla and Rosicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I never believe any news on Apr 1st, but according to Arseblog, Diaby is back in full training today.

Poor guy, hope he makes it this time, after all look at Rosicky. But I'd say he hasn't a hope in getting to the world cup like he wants to.

That's genuine, he's back baby.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Your joking right?

Pay heed to the date! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I honestly cannot believe this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Oranage2 wrote: »

This one is true :) it was reported a week or two ago that him and Ramsey would be back in full training around the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's probably the most appropriate day, any other day and we wouldn't believe it :D I really hope it works out for the lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Diaby and full training in the one sentence. I think i need to sit down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Oranage2 wrote: »

When Ramsey limped off the pitch during the West Ham game, if you'd told me that Diaby would be back in training before him I would have laughed at you.

Only 2 days in it mind, but still!!

it could work. Fabregas plays up top for barca before and did well. false 9 mate
    The thing with Barca is that they have many world class play makers in there side so they can afford to play one of them up front, whereas Ozil would be our main man at creating chances for our wingers and striker.

If there was anybody I would be trying up front it would be Ox or Gnabry, somebody with pace who can make runs in behind and hurt teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

This one is true :) it was reported a week or two ago that him and Ramsey would be back in full training around the same time.

So is Rambo back in training this week too?

The thing with Barca is that they have many world class play makers in there side so they can afford to play one of them up front, whereas Ozil would be our main man at creating chances for our wingers and striker.

If there was anybody I would be trying up front it would be Ox or Gnabry, somebody with pace who can make runs in behind and hurt teams.

the purpose of a false 9 is in the name itself. Ozil wont be the main man who stays upfront all game. he will drift into the middle and let others like Ox or Ganbry cut inside as the main target.

It can work well if done right. Mind you if walcott was playing it would work magically as Walcott will be the one who interchanges with Ozil going into that false 9 position.

It will confuse the hell out of the opposition.

After eto and Ibram left, barca never had a proper out and out striker/target man in the team.

Unless you have a world class striker like drogba of old, having a striker sitting on top doesnt work.

Before you mention Suarez, Suarez doesnt play ontop on his own and would not do as good as his doing now if he played on a 451 type formation as he is not a target man but sits a bit deep, goes to the wings etc and plays a free role plys has sturridge too.

You need a big strong physical striker who can score with his eyes closed in any little tiny opprtuniy he gets for him to be our main striker in a 451 formation..

Just look at benzema for RM. not a good out and out striker and i think he has only scored 11 goals this season. much worse than girud!

Why? because Benzema is not a strong world class can score from anywhere type of guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

the purpose of a false 9 is in the name itself. Ozil wont be the main man who stays upfront all game. he will drift into the middle and let others like Ox or Ganbry cut inside as the main target.

It can work well if done right. Mind you if walcott was playing it would work magically as Walcott will be the one who interchanges with Ozil going into that false 9 position.

It will confuse the hell out of the opposition.

After eto and Ibram left, barca never had a proper out and out striker/target man in the team.

Unless you have a world class striker like drogba of old, having a striker sitting on top doesnt work.

Before you mention Suarez, Suarez doesnt play ontop on his own and would not do as good as his doing now if he played on a 451 type formation as he is not a target man but sits a bit deep, goes to the wings etc and plays a free role plys has sturridge too.

You need a big strong physical striker who can score with his eyes closed in any little tiny opprtuniy he gets for him to be our main striker in a 451 formation..

Just look at benzema for RM. not a good out and out striker and i think he has only scored 11 goals this season. much worse than girud!

Why? because Benzema is not a strong world class can score from anywhere type of guy.

Some stat checking may be in order before you post!!!! He's scored more than twice that this season. He'd be a big step-up from Giroud, much as I like Olivier

I couldn't disagree more. Look at our best sides under Wenger one thing we always had up front and on the wings is pace, Anelka, Henry, Wiltord, Reyes, Pires, Ljunberg etc all these were clever players who could see the through ball coming and make runs in behind, teams just cant cope with pace and it is one thing we are severely lacking in our squad.

Pity Ryo wasnt even half decent, he has pace to burn

• Advertisement

Good to see Diaby back too. Please god the lad can stay fit I think its a credit to himself and also the club that he keeps trying to comeback with all the set backs he had, I honestly think he would of been a club legend had that thug not done him in that awful tackle at Sunderland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement