Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Jackson Martinez, Immobile, Lacazette, Lasogga (could be the pick up of the summer, especially so if Hamburg are relegated).. or Schieber >_>

If it was last summer, that kind of list would have included Soldado and we know how that one worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mandzukic is world class no doubt but if we got him I would want to get rid of Giroud and get a different backup. Mandzukic is just a far Giroud, think we need a different option if things arent going right, someone with a good bit of pace and trickery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Raf32 wrote: »
    Mandzukic is world class no doubt but if we got him I would want to get rid of Giroud and get a different backup. Mandzukic is just a far Giroud, think we need a different option if things arent going right, someone with a good bit of pace and trickery.

Mandzukic + Drmic = :)

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Mandzukic + Drmic = :)

Perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Godge wrote: »
    If it was last summer, that kind of list would have included Soldado and we know how that one worked out.

Hey! That's Goaldado to you mister.

On another note I feel a bit for him, his Mrs lost a baby shortly after the move. Can't have helped his form. Also you can bet he was told that Bale was staying. No doubt he didn't know that Spurs were a shambles. Or that Agent Tim would work his magic. Or that lamella was the invisible man. Or that Mr negative spiral would get the bullet.
    Poor Soldado.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Jackson Martinez would no doubt cost a lot knowing Porto's modus operandi and isn't exactly proven at the highest level.
    Lasogga has already blown a cruciate at a young age so would want to come cheap.
    Lacazette has had a good season in a poor league but was basically understudy to Sanogo at the U/20 World Cup so hard to imagine him being the answer. Immobile I like but you always have the historically poor performance of Italians in England going against that and Schieber I don't know enough about to comment on.

I think what we should be looking at is Joel Campbell returning, Sanogo developing, Giroud and Poldi kept, Bendtner and Park out and a marquee addition at centre forward. Martinez should basically be the starting point in that list of players. Anything less would be a massive gamble and we've had just about enough gambling on bargains over the last 10 years.

A gettable striker that would be a major improvement on giroud is what was mentioned and I followed that up with names who are an improvement and gettable.

If the money the club and fans alike keep banging on about is there, Martinez is who Arsenal should be going all out for. Proven at the highest level spiel does nothing for me. The guy has all the attributes needed, that all action style of pace, power and finishing to be the answer to Arsenal's main striker problem for a few years at least. Giroud would be a fine back up.

Lasogga will always score goals, wherever he'll go. I have no doubt about that.

Mentioning Schieber was a joke, hence the.. >_>

Thinking about it more, Luiz Adriano is another one who's usually impressed me for Shaktar and I have rarely if ever seen his name mentioned here. In the company of better players, I feel like he has another level to his game to become more than just a 1 in 2 man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Max Kruse and Luis Muriel are two more we could possibly go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Is there actually a player called Immobile?

He can stay the f*ck away. No more immobile players thank you very much!

:D

He's one of the best young players in Italy right now. He'd be a great addition to any team. He's scored more goals in Serie A then Tevez, in a far inferior team.

One season defines a player? Not all players settle in straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

One season defines a player? Not all players settle in straight away.

Soldado's record against the best teams in Spain is worse than Giroud's against the best teams in England, he was never a striker that would improve Arsenal. Yet his name was mentioned again and again around here as a striker that Arsenal missed out on.

"A gettable striker that would be a major improvement on giroud is what was mentioned" is what you said. The ones you mentioned are in the soldado category, not even in the Giroud category, with the possible exception of Martinez but Campbell has scored a load of goals from the wing in Greece which shows anyone can do it in a minor league.

Max Kruse and Luis Muriel are two more we could possibly go for.

Muriel is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Muriel has 4 goals in 19 games this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,663 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If the £100m transfer budget is true:

Cavani £60m
    Griezmann £25m
    Drmic £10m
    Schneiderlin £15m

Ok that's £110m but I'm sure we could get the extra 10 from selling Bendtner :pac:

Soldado's record against the best teams in Spain is worse than Giroud's against the best teams in England, he was never a striker that would improve Arsenal. Yet his name was mentioned again and again around here as a striker that Arsenal missed out on.

"A gettable striker that would be a major improvement on giroud is what was mentioned" is what you said. The ones you mentioned are in the soldado category, not even in the Giroud category, with the possible exception of Martinez but Campbell has scored a load of goals from the wing in Greece which shows anyone can do it in a minor league.

I didn't say it originally.

Valencia by and large were poor against the better teams when he was there. Is that down to Soldado entirely now?

If you think Giroud is a higher level of striker compared to those I mentioned, there's no nope. Even the ones I mentioned that are on a similar level to him now have time and talent on their side to make another step up. I'm not a Giroud basher. I think he's been let down by his teammates at times in the big games, but I think I've been proven fairly spot on my assessment of him going back to the moment you signed him.

AdamD wrote: »

But hez a FIFA G0D.

• Advertisement

Been injured and out of form but worth a punt if we cant get any of the bigger names.

But hez a FIFA G0D.

We should go in for Benteke, hes better than Suarez.

Anyone seen Carlos Bacca? any good?

We should go in for Benteke, hes better than Suarez.

He plays for arsenal in my career mode. We sold giroud for 12m. To Stoke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It looks like Costa will end up at Chelsea

We want a striker a big upgrade on giroud

Honestly who is out there that we can get?

I'm looking for a list of 3

Balotelli - The most likely given Milan's league form.
    Benzema - Unlikely unless Madrid get Suarez.
    Higuain - Pretty unlikely as Napoli have no need to sell so would cost a bomb.
    Suarez - Highly unlikely and would cost nearly all of our funds.

I'd consider all four upgrades on Giroud, but by varying amounts. For a while now I've been into the idea of Balotelli and he is the most likely. Yes, his antics can be questionable at times but he seems to have gotten over his wild stage. We could get him for about (maybe even less than) £30m, leaving us a good chunk to invest in other areas.
    I'd seriously question the scouting system if they can't find anyone better than Giroud, he hasn't set a particularly high standard.

Yeah, he only has the 20 goals this season. He's awful :rolleyes:
    If the £100m transfer budget is true:

Cavani £60m
    Griezmann £25m
    Drmic £10m
    Schneiderlin £15m

Ok that's £110m but I'm sure we could get the extra 10 from selling Bendtner :pac:

A tenner? :pac:

Wages also have to be taken into account. Wenger always includes wages in the funds available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Per and Santi doing commentary on us v Fulham.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Yeah, he only has the 20 goals this season. He's awful :rolleyes:

I remember Darren Bent nearly outscored Thierry Henry or i think he actually did outscore him in a one whole season.

World class Player Darren bent was....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Christ bayern get your act together already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

omega man wrote: »
    Christ bayern get your act together already

Good tactics from Moyes tonight.
    He set them up the way we should have been set up at Stamford Bridge.
    Contain and maybe hit on the break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Good tactics from Moyes tonight.
    He set them up the way we should have been set up at Stamford Bridge.
    Contain and maybe hit on the break.

Praise him again please! Had the desired effect. Couldn't bare worrying about that lot winning the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

omega man wrote: »
    Praise him again please! Had the desired effect. Couldn't bare worrying about that lot winning the CL

Not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Thiago, Schwienstieger and Martinez out for the second leg. They still have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

shano_88 wrote: »
    Thiago, Schwienstieger and Martinez out for the second leg. They still have a chance.

Just the absolutely awful midfield that would be Lahm/Kroos/Gotze so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Not going to happen.

Please someone tie this guy down and keep him quiet :D

Tayto will put the jinx on us and Utd will win the CL.

We were playing every bit as well until are Goalkeeper went loco. I think the English sides play Bayern very well, they don't come up agaisn't top teams in the German league. Dortmund are either injury prone or in downfall and Schalke stink.

• Advertisement

Not going to happen.

tayto, tayto, tayto.
    don't jinx us!

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I think if Giroud had a good strike partner, he would be awesome.

Yep to be fair Giroud looked the part when he had Walcott and Ramsey just behind them keeping defenders on their toes.

Cesc booed off tonight, what i would give to have him back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

You and me both

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Not going to happen.

Not so sure tayto. Bayern not great tonight and an early goal next week, from man United would make them awful jittery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Feels bad saying it but Cesc has thrown away his best years, he will never be accepted at Barca, he's not a Xavi or Iniesta clone like they were expecting.

His stats might be ok and he might be starting alot of games for them, but he's not respected there and not a key player for them.They don't need him.

He would have went onto become a legend here and a better player than he is now, he's someone Wenger would have listened to as well.

I know he has a great assist record at Barcelona, he plays week in week out and has won the league and a few other trophies there but it hasn't been the great return to his childhood club really has it, he rarely makes a impression that makes you stand up and the fan's haven't taken to him seen as they were begging for him to be bought. He hasn't been a flop but I think Barcelona fan's were expecting him to set the world alight plus I think it's been a heavy burden on him. I still stand by he should have stayed with us for two or three more seasons until Xavi or Iniesta retired then left to join them. He just really isn't that top player to Barcelona, he and the fans thought he be.

I'd take him back but I wouldn't pay more then 30 million maybe less for him, Barcelona would hack the price up for him. He hasn't exactly been on top form since leaving Arsenal so he's not worth more then that. I think his Girlfriend who is the mother of his daughter wants to move back to London so their child gets a proper English education and they have a family home there, I think he would welcome it but I don't think he be trying to leave Barcelona unless they were willing to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

You wouldn't pay more than 30m for Cesc? You wouldn't be getting Cesc so.

When Mata, an unquestionably inferior player, sells for £37m, you won't be getting Cesc for £30m.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Where would we play him?

• Advertisement

Where would we play him?
    We wouldn't buy him, we've no room for him.

We wouldn't buy him, we've no room for him.

I no a player of that talent ya would try fit him in I just don't no where

Maybe beside Ramsey but then your asking Aaron to do a serious amount of work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Where would we play him?

em, seriously? Has this season (and most others) not shown that Arsenal need so much more depth than they have to deal with inevitable injuries. Even if he weren't first choice he'd have started most games in the second-half of this season. Sure there might be a problem when all players are fit but Arsenal generally don't do "all players fit".

Better player than Ozil IMO. Not that it justifies further strengthening what already is our best position. Need a LW, Striker and DM far more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Prefer to spend the money on a striker or one of the defensive positions.

Need to start injecting pace into the team again

em, seriously? Has this season (and most others) not shown that Arsenal need so much more depth than they have to deal with inevitable injuries. Even if he weren't first choice he'd have started most games in the second-half of this season. Sure there might be a problem when all players are fit but Arsenal generally don't do "all players fit".

So we sign him to be a squad player and he won't play the big games

Makes no sense

• Advertisement

I no a player of that talent ya would try fit him in I just don't no where

Maybe beside Ramsey but then your asking Aaron to do a serious amount of work
    What I meant was, we shouldn't blow half our transfer budget on Cesc when we urgently need a striker and an Arteta replacement. Plus possibly a right back, and probably a centre back or two.

Cesc’s not coming back (hopefully this will be a bit of reverse psychology)

Anyway this summer:

Mandzukic or another striker (Martinez, or whatever)
    Joel Campbell back from Greece
    Drmic as cover for wings / striker
    New proper DM – there are a few out there
    CB Cover – Winston reid maybe
    New RB

Djourou gone permanently to HSV for 3 million euros according to sky germany. The summer budget grows :pac:

good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Djourou gone permanently to HSV for 3 million euros according to sky germany. The summer budget grows :pac:

103 million and counting ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement