Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

gosplan wrote: »
    I want Wenger to buy young players with huge potential.

I want to see the next Nasri, Fabregas and RVP and us not sell them.

I want him to buy young players with huge potential who've already made something of a mark, though, and so can be expected to have an impact in the medium term as well as the long term.

Draxler rather than Sanogo, if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Suggesting Torres is close to being ignore-list worthy at this stage

Before somebody snaps at me: 19 league goals in 105 league games for Chelsea, absolutely pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I want him to buy young players with huge potential who've already made something of a mark, though, and so can be expected to have an impact in the medium term as well as the long term.

Draxler rather than Sanogo, if you will.

Yes, Draxler seems like this year's Hazard (only less proven and way more expensive).

I think signing players like that will be the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

gosplan wrote: »
    Yes, Draxler seems like this year's Hazard (only less proven and way more expensive).

I think signing players like that will be the way forward.

I think that's a perfect description. And, given that, if Arsene is still interested, then he really must be something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Currently i'd have Griezmann ahead of Draxler.

Personally I don't think there's any world class strikers available that are good enough for us.. And the likes of Cavani and Costa just aren't realistic.

If it was me in charge i'd pick up the these:

Lukaku - £20M - I don't think he'll be at Chelsea next season since they don't seem to be interested in using him. He's fast,strong and basically looks like Drogba 2.0. Not to mention he's only 19.

Schneiderlin - £15 to £18M - He's been imo one of the best holding mids in the league. Good passing and will happily sit in front of the back four and let others attack. A midfield with him and Ramsey would be deadly.

Griezmann - £25M - He'd be a great player to have on LW for us. He has great dribbling and a good eye for goal. Him and Walcott on either wing and Ozil in the middle would be scary.

I'd also like a fullback but there isn't many par Cuadrado or Coleman that i'd want.. And either of the two would probably cost over £20M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Personally I don't think there's any world class strikers available that are good enough for us.. And the likes of Cavani and Costa just aren't realistic.

Lukaku - £20M - I don't think he'll be at Chelsea next season since they don't seem to be interested in using him. He's fast,strong and basically looks like Drogba 2.0. Not to mention he's only 19.

Schneiderlin - £15 to £18M - He's been imo one of the best holding mids in the league. Good passing and will happily sit in front of the back four and let others attack. A midfield with him and Ramsey would be deadly.

Griezmann - £25M - He'd be a great player to have on LW for us. He has great dribbling and a good eye for goal. Him and Walcott on either wing and Ozil in the middle would be scary.

I'd also like a fullback but there isn't many par Cuadrado or Coleman that i'd want.. And either of the two would probably cost over £20M.

They are perfect signings imo. maybe throw Remy in if we cant get Lukaku and add someone like Drmic on top of that. I wouldnt mind Chambers from Southampton or Jung and keep Sagna, loan out Jenko and we are set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Also I would love us to sign Ignazio Abate off Milan, one of the best right backs in Europe in my opinion.

Top video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

agree with all those.
    Congrats, i've just made you the new Transfer Fixer for the Gunners - Dick Law, get your coat, there's a new Sherriff in town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

AdamD wrote: »
    Suggesting Torres is close to being ignore-list worthy at this stage

Before somebody snaps at me: 19 league goals in 105 league games for Chelsea, absolutely pathetic.

Oops my bad ;)

Leverkusen on in 20 mins if people wanna check out Bender

You know even if we lose tomorrow I reckon we'll get 15 more points this season. Everton have to play United, Southampton and city. I think they'll get 13 to 15 points. Which would see us safely in 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

bad2dabone wrote: »
    You know even if we lose tomorrow I reckon we'll get 15 more points this season. Everton have to play United, Southampton and city. I think they'll get 13 to 15 points. Which would see us safely in 4th.

I'm fairly confident about Sunday think we'll take 3pts and wrap it up

I reckon we'll finish 3rd at the expense of Pool or Chelsea

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm fairly confident about Sunday think we'll take 3pts and wrap it up

I reckon we'll finish 3rd at the expense of Pool or Chelsea

I think pool will finish 2nd. I'm hoping for a Chelsea collapse. Cos they'll be back next season with a superstar striker to contend with.

• Advertisement

I think pool will finish 2nd. I'm hoping for a Chelsea collapse. Cos they'll be back next season with a superstar striker to contend with.

To finish second I think Pool have to win away to West Ham, I've a feeling they draw

Chelsea will win the weekend but again I think they've lost momentum

Soups123 wrote: »
    To finish second I think Pool have to win away to West Ham, I've a feeling they draw

Chelsea will win the weekend but again I think they've lost momentum

Yeah they definitely have lost momentum, mou hammering torres can't have helped the atmosphere in the dressing room and they've a tough draining game next Tuesday.

As for pool, I think the West Ham game will be interesting but I reckon they've too much momentum to be stopped by big Sam.

Yeah they definitely have lost momentum, mou hammering torres can't have helped the atmosphere in the dressing room and they've a tough draining game next Tuesday.

As for pool, I think the West Ham game will be interesting but I reckon they've too much momentum to be stopped by big Sam.

Maybe but they can get up for a big game when the want at Upton Park . Time will tell

A win for us in Sunday would also be great for next weeks semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

You know Jose won't let Lukaku come to us, he hates Arsenal and Wenger plus we need someone who's world class. I'd have him as a back up.

Schneiderlin is a good player but again we need world class and you can get world class for the price you asking us to pay for Schneiderlin.

the others I agree with. Coleman would be a great signing but I doubt Everton would let him go.

Looper007 wrote: »
    You know Jose won't let Lukaku come to us, he hates Arsenal and Wenger plus we need someone who's world class. I'd have him as a back up.

Why wouldn't he?
    He sold arguably their best player because he couldn't fit their system. Also name me a Striker that's *World Class* thats available? Because Costa,Cavani etc aren't going to happen. Lukaku would be nearly on par with Giroud and he's only 20.. We need a strong pacey CF and he's the best available.
    Schneiderlin is a good player but again we need world class and you can get world class for the price you asking us to pay for Schneiderlin.

Schneiderlin has been more than a "good player" he's been in the top 3 holding mids in the BPL. He'd fit our system perfectly and wouldn't need anytime to adjust since he's played his entire career in England. People keep calling for Bender but they don't realise he's basically Ramsey. We need someone who can dictate play and also cover the defence.. Which imo Schneiderlin would do perfectly.

the others I agree with. Coleman would be a great signing but I doubt Everton would let him go.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

This may have been said earlier but there's a few reports cropping up that Chelsea are going to sign Mandzukic ahead of us. Not sure if we were ever really in for him but if true it'd be disappointing to lose out to a direct rival for a realistic target in a position that needs strengthening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I would sign Lukaku at almost any price, would absolutely love to see him here. Was disappointed when Chelsea signed him to start with, if we get the chance then 100% we should sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Looper007 wrote: »

If Lukaku refuses to go to anyone but Arsenal I think they would let him go to us with them needing to raise funds to sign a top striker like Costa.
    Not sure Wenger rates Lukaku though.
    This may have been said earlier but there's a few reports cropping up that Chelsea are going to sign Mandzukic ahead of us. Not sure if we were ever really in for him but if true it'd be disappointing to lose out to a direct rival for a realistic target in a position that needs strengthening

Hope they do then it would probably mean they are not signing Costa and would give us a chance to.

just watching this game and Çalhanoğlu for Hamburg looks quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

ARSENAL UNTIL THE END OF TIME

HazDanz wrote: »
    ARSENAL UNTIL THE END OF TIME

tumblr_m3z6yuwljb1r56kk1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Just got ticket to see the semi final. first tiime in wembley and it only cost £30.

Just shows that Arsenal are ripping us off big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wenger has suggested that our poor injury record may be down to supplements the players are taking in their own time without the knowledge of the club :confused:http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/04/arsenal-injuries-supplements-arsene-wenger?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

cson wrote: »
    To take something from Rugby parlance; player management is a big thing too I think. Imo we do it very badly, we don't mind players enough - Ollie has played the 2nd most games for us this season and its a minor miracle that its only now that the Mertescielny axis has been broken up for a period of games.

We don't mind players because we don't have the squad to rotate them. Thus we overplay and injure the good players we have and you're then expected to get the results against Bayern, City and Chelsea without Walcott, Ramsey, Ozil and Wilshere. Their absences affect us infinitely more than the corresponding would affect Bayern, City and Chelsea - why? Because they have the squads to cope with a challenge on all fronts.

The more you look at it; the more you can see that our annual March capitulation has less to do with mental strength or any perceived lack of it and more to do with being basically physically knackered because we've been playing our best players week in week out as we simply have no one to replace them adequately - or certainly no one the manager trusts to replace them adequately (Park anyone?!)

The blame for that goes to AW; I get his aversion to wasting money but a loan deal for Kim Kallstrom being the sum total of our January business when the squad is crying out for bodies in the short and medium term is criminal. We're the 4th or 5th biggest club in the world based on revenue for chrissake. We're not poor. We can deal with a £10m signing going wrong. We've trying to bandage wounds that need stitches for far too long.

well said but i disagree a tiny bit. players like rosisky and ox are good enough to rotate.

basically our midfield lineupo was very very strong at the begining of the season. Actually it was overloaded with decent talen and we could have rested the likes of ozil for rosisky, interchange between wilshere/ramsey with flamini/arteta and podokki for walcott.

So actually i disagree with your statement of lack of squad depth because we had a much better depth in midfield then chelsea actually.

Upfront it is a issue but then again why not take out girud for walcott/podolski ti play up top?

Stilll could have rotated their too!

probably means nothing but Morata favourited a tweet linking him to arsenal, would be very underwhelmed with this signing

BkaYZo5IMAAsm7v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

greendom wrote: »

I always see that guy referred to as a leading physio, but what makes him that? Does he even have a job as a physio?

I'm not saying he's wrong necessarily, but just strikes me as someone looking to make a name for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Regarding Verheijen's claims he does seem to be a massive self publicist. I have followed him on Newstalk a good bit and obviously have concerns as an Arsenal fan but behind the hyperbole, etc you have to ask is the bottom line that our squad needs more strength in depth?

For example like the articles mentioned above how can you compare Arsenal's schedule to Everton's??:confused: Or Liverpools?

Of course we will suffer more injuries. I cannot think of any regular Man United player bar De Gea, Welbeck, Valencia and Cleverly (and I could be wrong)that has had an injury free season.

Man City have had lots of injuries too but it gets disguised more.

I am not ignoring the issue but maybe it is more magnified in a smaller squad and hurts us more.

Raf32 wrote: »
    probably means nothing but Morata favourited a tweet linking him to arsenal, would be very underwhelmed with this signing

BkaYZo5IMAAsm7v.jpg

Morota maybe but need a small speedster as well then. AW will go this way I reckon.

It strikes me that getting someone to replace Giroud might not be feasible this year due to the talent available so AW would be looking for someone to augment him and maybe someone like Morota for potential.

I dunno, I'm not the best on other leagues but when I hear all the potential replacements for Giroud that people want us to spend loads on, they all sound a bit Llamela and Soldado, don't they?

I think if you we're going to replace Giroud, you needed to get one of last summer's strikers: Falcao, Cavani etc.

I always see that guy referred to as a leading physio, but what makes him that? Does he even have a job as a physio?

I'm not saying he's wrong necessarily, but just strikes me as someone looking to make a name for themselves.

He has a degree in Physiotherapy i think it said, so he would be fairly well in tune with the do's and dont's.

Regarding Verheijen's claims he does seem to be a massive self publicist. I have followed him on Newstalk a good bit and obviously have concerns as an Arsenal fan but behind the hyperbole, etc you have to ask is the bottom line that our squad needs more strength in depth?

For example like the articles mentioned above how can you compare Arsenal's schedule to Everton's??:confused: Or Liverpools?

Of course we will suffer more injuries. I cannot think of any regular Man United player bar De Gea, Welbeck, Valencia and Cleverly (and I could be wrong)that has had an injury free season.

Man City have had lots of injuries too but it gets disguised more.

I am not ignoring the issue but maybe it is more magnified in a smaller squad and hurts us more.

I agree. It's a very cheap story for hacks as well. Arsenal injuries blah blah.

The one thing that irks me is how our 3 week injuries balloon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

dvemail wrote: »
    He has a degree in Physiotherapy i think it said, so he would be fairly well in tune with the do's and dont's.

Well lots have people have degrees in physiotherapy, I'm sure many of the people on arsenal's medical team do. Just don't see why his opinion is deemed more important than others by the press

Well lots have people have degrees in physiotherapy, I'm sure many of the people on arsenal's medical team do. Just don't see why his opinion is deemed more important than others by the press

Think it's safe enough to say that whenever there is a chance to slate Wenger the press will jump all over it.

Apart from the Tuesday club and the Arseblog Arsecast, is there any decent Arsenal podcasts ye listen to?

• Advertisement

Apart from the Tuesday club and the Arseblog Arsecast, is there any decent Arsenal podcasts ye listen to?

Don't listen to it often but A Bergkamp Wonderland is pretty good.

http://www.abergkampwonderland.co.uk/

Some really good lads on that.

Nearly 2 hours long!

Thats value for money there :pac:

Nearly 2 hours long!

Thats value for money there :pac:

Haha, think they are generally an hour or so.

Drmic playing in 15 minutes boys, will see how he does and write back here.

In case any of you's hadn't heard.. Sami Hyypia has been sacked from Bayer Leverkusen.
    There currently in 4th place and only 1pt from 5th and 4pts from 7th.

If they don't get Champions league you can bet Bender will want out.

• Advertisement

Drmic is playing brilliantly. Hit the cross bar and another just wide. making great runs in behind which we badly miss. also deflected a goal for the other team in though :pac:

Using the bib theory our starting team tomorrow is
    Szczesny
    Monreal Per TV5 Sagna
    Ramsey Flamini
    ? Rosicky ?
    Sanogo

Id say its Santi and Podolski for them two ?'s

Drmic is playing brilliantly. Hit the cross bar and another just wide. making great runs in behind which we badly miss. also deflected a goal for the other team in though :pac:

Szczesny
    Monreal Per TV5 Sagna
    Ramsey Flamini
    ? Rosicky ?
    Sanogo

He'll get on well with Kos then. :pac:

He'll get on well with Kos then. :pac:

waiting for the injury just to make sure he really is arsenal ready :pac:

Szczesny
    Monreal Per TV5 Sagna
    Ramsey Flamini
    ? Rosicky ?
    Sanogo

Would be surprised to see Ramsey start. If he does it shows Wenger thinks this game is more important than the semi.

Just noticed that Wenger has said he would be unlikely to start. Does make more sense. Other players will have had 8 days off so no tired legs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement