Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

efb wrote: »
    To those that wanted a trophy over 4th, what you want right now?

4th for me. What's most disappointing for me is the nature of the cataclysmic collapses this year. Promised so much just to set up the greater fall....

Give him the season, but take the contract off the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Where a much bigger club?

• 4th for me. What's most disappointing for me is the nature of the cataclysmic collapses this year. Promised so much just to set up the greater fall....
    Really 4th again? Come on you have got to try and win the FA Cup, another trophyless season??

sh__93 wrote: »
    Hold on now, I came in with a genuine question. Don't generalise buddy.

my apologies i didn't see your post.

I'd like Martinez.

I don't think Klopp is gettable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Really 4th again? Come on you have got to try and win the FA Cup, another trophyless season??

The team can try do both, they're not exclusive and i want both but given a choice I'd take 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Giroud

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSewenvUFMR1I_PDMMXcikt6fnY_fyUd1f7UCiggbE9BsUDb-54mw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Its getting harder every week to find any positives in our games.
    Shocking, piss poor performance, no leadership whatsoever and the main thing we're lacking in is pace, its criminal how slow we are going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

bad2dabone wrote: »

I'd like Martinez.

I don't think Martinez would leave Everton after 1 season.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

I'd like to apologize for my earlier remark saying "Suarez should move to Arsenal there a much bigger club"

I was taking the piss but i genuinely thought i was posting in the Liverpool thread :pac:

• Advertisement

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    The team can try do both, they're not exclusive and i want both but given a choice I'd take 4th.
    I would be hurting at this stage, getting 4th year in year out for what? Champions League football / revenue influx / which they have never actually won?
    A trophy is badly needed at this stage. My buddy packed it in with Arsenal at the start of this season after 15 years supporting them..everybody was slating him at the start of the season. He said it was too stressful for him when all the fancy football amounts to nothing..starting to understand why now!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

greendom wrote: »

Particularly if they finish above us :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Yes. We still have a shot at 4th but it could be out of our hands now, even if we win our other games. Not expecting anything now tbh.

David Dein there today, how we miss that man. Wenger needs him

you're probably right :(

maybe we could get George Graham out of retirement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

#wengerout trending on twitter, lots of angry gooners out there

I'm pro Wenger but maybe change is for the best. Obviously not working for both parties. Board has to go though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

The team looks knackered too. I don't blame the players completely for that considering what they are expected to do with the squad we have with regards to injuries.

Two things this season that has me worried about where we are going in terms of transfers and having a plan that is going to progress this team next season.

Firstly is the unwillingness to fix small problems before they become big problems. Walcott injured and Giroud as our only striker crippled us this season. Any form of rotation for those two would have benefited the side. We are not looking for world class, but people who could do a job when Plan A does not work or is not available. Signing players who are actually fit for their loan spell would be welcome too.

The other thing that has me irked is the unwillingness of Wenger to adapt tactics to the teams he is playing. Playing our style as we do is excellent when we have a fully fit squad, it works. An injured strung out team however needs a bit more care and a bit more respect to the teams we play. Baines not being cared for today is an example of this.

Lastly, where's the bottle in the side? A lot of hot air is blown from the team, and you can point to Dortmund or the two Liverpool wins but in all honesty when we needed to square up in some matches we didn't even turn up. Chelsea away was a disgrace. It showed Wenger up a bit as he wasn't sure why the team played as bad as they did and the players also had no answer either. That's worrying.

I hope he finds a solution for our club as I think he's a stellar manager. He has some questions to answer to, let's see can he find the solutions in the months ahead.

I would be hurting at this stage, getting 4th year in year out for what? Champions League football / revenue influx / which they have never actually won?
    A trophy is badly needed at this stage. My buddy packed it in with Arsenal at the start of this season after 15 years supporting them..everybody was slating him at the start of the season. He said it was too stressful for him when all the fancy football amounts to nothing..starting to understand why now!

I think Wenger's time is done. CL football is more important for attracting a decent replacement and strengthening the team going forward even if the team don't win it. I desperately want to win the FA cup and end the drought but in terms of the bigger picture it doesn't mean as much.

And no offense to your buddy, but he was no true fan in the first place. Even the most vocal anti-wenger or negative fans I know would never walk away from supporting the club, whether they're scrapping for 4th or getting relegated.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    To those that wanted a trophy over 4th, what you want right now?

Even with the FA Cup finishing lower than fourth would indicate further regression to be honest. Id take fourth but i do acknowledge that winning a trophy would get a huge monkey off our back though in all honesty the way our gutless wimps have performed there is reasons we arent winning anything. Wenger is making Tiger Tim look shrewd at this stage. Doesnt vary the play at all. Some of those players should be shown the door this summer and along with the manager whose time is up.

We're not going to finish fourth in my opinion and we really dont deserve to. In fact our capitulation has been so bad i thank god were in the top half of the table. There are teams who are struggling at the latter end of the table that are trying harder

Giroud shouldnt even be backup next year, i want him gone and a majority of the fanbase do too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭sh__93

I'd like Martinez.

Ah it's cool man.
    Bit edgy myself here ahead of this match. :o

I'd agree about Klopp but tbh I'm not sure if Martinez would want to leave Everton so soon after joining.
    Maybe just the fact that Arsenal are a more prestigious/richer club though could sway him.
    It's scary to think how he might do if given funds especially seeing how well he's done at Everton who have never been the richest of clubs.

Anyway, I'm out. I've a game to watch.

mate of mind said why didn't we throw 6m at west brom for shane long in Jan as backup for Giroud.

I wonder why we didn't do something like that.

mate of mind said why didn't we throw 6m at west brom for shane long in Jan as backup for Giroud.

I wonder why we didn't do something like that.

I wanted that. But Giroud would be his back up in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Raf32 wrote: »
    I'm pro Wenger but maybe change is for the best. Obviously not working for both parties. Board has to go though.

Yes, there is something wrong there. We been saying that now, on and off for the last 18 months.

• Advertisement

How did we go from Henry and Bergkamp to Giroud and Sanogo?
    From Pires and Lauren to Cazorla and Monreal?

I realise we havent had much money to spend but surely that cant be the simple excuse either? The general application of these players has been dire.

Nonsense. Giroud is not good enough to be starting every match and has been brutal lately but he's a fair few levels above the likes of Long. He's scored 19 goals ffs. He'd be a solid option off the bench or in rotation if we bring in a proper striker in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yurt wrote: »
    I'd like to apologize for my earlier remark saying "Suarez should move to Arsenal there a much bigger club"

I was taking the piss but i genuinely thought i was posting in the Liverpool thread :pac:

Not surprised you can't tell the difference given this threads recent activity.

Nonsense. Giroud is not good enough to be starting every match and has been brutal lately but he's a fair few levels above the likes of Long. He's scored 19 goals ffs. He'd be a solid option off the bench or in rotation if we bring in a proper striker in the summer.

I dont take the Long argument either but Giroud has been piss poor with months. No striker instincts whatsoever. Hell even Bendtner offered more even in his younger days to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I, like many others here, now think that it's the right time for Wenger to leave now and get someone in to freshen things up. I think that Klopp would be more gettable than Martinez due to him only being at Everton for one season. Would be happy with either of them as a replacement.

Winning the FA cup (and finishing 4th) would be a nice send off. Don't know where the form is going to come from to finish the season strongly though, hopefully Ramsey and Ozil returning can provide a boost.

• Advertisement

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think Wenger's time is done. CL football is more important for attracting a decent replacement and strengthening the team going forward even if the team don't win it. I desperately want to win the FA cup and end the drought but in terms of the bigger picture it doesn't mean as much.

And no offense to your buddy, but he was no true fan in the first place. Even the most vocal anti-wenger or negative fans I know would never walk away from supporting the club, whether they're scrapping for 4th or getting relegated.
    I was one of the men slating him!

I agree with you to an extent... 'if' Arsenal are going to go with a new manager then Champions League is a must.
    But Arsene is going nowhere unless he is sacked, how many seasons can Arsenal FC take??
    Trophy-less with pretty much a similar top 4 finish for the last 10 years (correct me if I'm wrong).

He should have gone 2 seasons ago.

Giroud shouldnt even be backup next year, i want him gone and a majority of the fanbase do too.

Don't know why he bears the brunt of the critiicsm. Cazorla was poor today, as was Arteta. Giroud needs players around him to feed off. He has been far too isolated recently, especially away from home. Of course we need to get a better striker but I think he can still do a job for us as backup or in a support role if we ever play 4 4 2 again.

Matter of opinion really, definitely half the fan base would rather Long.

I think the Kallstrom balls-up on deadline day was a major red flag for those of us who thought Wenger was still on top of his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I was one of the men slating him!

I agree with you to an extent... 'if' Arsenal are going to go with a new manager then Champions League is a must.
    But Arsene is going nowhere unless he is sacked, how many seasons can Arsenal FC take??
    Trophy-less with pretty much a similar top 4 finish for the last 10 years (correct me if I'm wrong).

He should have gone 2 season ago.

I think Wenger will step down himself by not signing a new contract if he feels he's taken the team as far as he can, which he probably has.

Don't know why he bears the brunt of the critiicsm. Cazorla was poor today, as was Arteta. Giroud needs players around him to feed off. He has been far too isolated recently, especially away from home. Of course we need to get a better striker but I think he can still do a job for us as backup or in a support role if we ever play 4 4 2 again.

The team needs to be built around him to play to his strengths. We should not build around an average player imo. Back up at a push but would want to change his attitude, has no fight, no fire in the belly, doesnt care at all. Van Persie had all that and had the ability, thats the special players. Santi should be Ozils backup as i have said, cant play against the bigger teams and useless out the left. Arteta is finished, no legs and flamini isnt much better. I have never got over my opinion on Per as well, vastly over rated by our fan base imo.

• I think Wenger will step down himself by not signing a new contract if he feels he's taken the team as far as he can, which he probably has.
    When thinking of it again, a sacking would be harsh considering all he has given the club.

So yes, I regress leaving on his own terms would be the best but for the good of the club he needs to do it at the end of the season.

I dont take the Long argument either but Giroud has been piss poor with months. No striker instincts whatsoever. Hell even Bendtner offered more even in his younger days to be honest.

I'm not defending his form at all, I've been one of his most staunch defenders throughout the season but I will hold my hands up and say he has been absolutely toxic the last few months. Sonogo looked more dangerous when he came today ffs.

I just think he's not as bad as is being made out over all. He'd be a solid second striker imo but this season he's been given the task of a world class forward and he's just not up to it. It's not his fault he's been lumped with the job it's the negligence of the club in the transfer window.

When thinking of it again, a sacking would be harsh considering all he has given the club.

So yes, I regress leaving on his own terms would be the best but for the good of the club he needs to do it.

I sort of think he has no one to blame but himself at this stage. It was made clear he had money last year and he minded it like it was his own. He brought absolute rubbish to the club the last few years. No sooner have we cleared out some of his rubbish last year, a new manager faces clearing out another lump of his rubbish tied down to long term contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Outrageous performance. Our lack of heart and application is very worrying some players strolled through that game. Disgusted with Cazorla don't know how many times he left Sagna 2 v 1 no wonder he is leaving in the summer, can we blame him. That was an absolute shambles!

Has Wenger done his press conference, he should cut the crap and tell us how it is instead of going on about potential and mental strength :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What if Arsenal finish 5th (likely) and fail to win the FA Cup (not so likely).

Can Arsene sign a new deal?

Would the board want to be seen to condone the teams failings?

If the above scenario happens I can see Arsene saying thanks but no thanks and walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

How did we go from Henry and Bergkamp to Giroud and Sanogo?
    From Pires and Lauren to Cazorla and Monreal?

I realise we havent had much money to spend but surely that cant be the simple excuse either? The general application of these players has been dire.

its ironic that those legends you mentioned did not cost a lot to buy even at that time anyway. Berckhamp was possibly our "ozil" sging back then high we payed a high price tag for him but the rest like ljunber, pires etc where all bargain buys

Matter of opinion really, definitely half the fan base would rather Long.

Nah opinion doesn't come into it on this, Long is objectively not as good as Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

It's time for a change for sure. Hopefully he can lift the cup, would be a good way to sign off.

We really just need young blood at the helm, someone to get rid of Wenger's average players and splash the cash. Someone who brings in some new ideas and who isn't afraid of the battle. I think Wenger isn't cut out for this modern football world sadly. I do think winning the FA Cup is a good way to bow out.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Outrageous performance. Our lack of heart and application is very worrying some players strolled through that game. Disgusted with Cazorla don't know how many times he left Sagna 2 v 1 no wonder he is leaving in the summer, can we blame him. That was an absolute shambles!

Has Wenger done his press conference, he should cut the crap and tell us how it is instead of going on about potential and mental strength :mad:

I didn't see it but apparently he was asked if he believed Arsenal could still get 4th. He said "of course, thankyou" then turned and walked out.

Nah opinion doesn't come into it on this, Long is objectively not as good as Giroud.

More suited to our game though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I would disagree with that. Objectively. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

simply neither are good enough for back up at Arsenal. I think we need a World Class striker and good to very good pacey striker or turn Walcott into a full out striker next season. But we really need to spend big but with no Champions league football will big players join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think the tactical benefits of a mobile, if inferior striker moving the opposition defence around the pitch probably outweights the benefits of having Giroud. We've looked more dangerous with Sanogo on the pitch imo, despite his obvious deficiencies. The spurs cup game with Walcott up top was awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I didn't see it but apparently he was asked if he believed Arsenal could still get 4th. He said "of course, thankyou" then turned and walked out.

Sign he is really feeling the heat.

I must admit that performance really really hurt today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement