Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

its ironic that those legends you mentioned did not cost a lot to buy even at that time anyway. Berckhamp was possibly our "ozil" sging back then high we payed a high price tag for him but the rest like ljunber, pires etc where all bargain buys

Well thats just it. I realise you might pay extra for that quality these times but it would seem that the whole dynamism of our play has long gone. We have slow cumbersome players now apart from Walcott, Rambo and Chamberlain. The dynamic 'red arrows' are long gone. Were left with narrow players now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Quit crying lads.
    Aren't we top of the Banking League again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Well thats just it. I realise you might pay extra for that quality these times but it would seem that the whole dynamism of our play has long gone. We have slow cumbersome players now apart from Walcott, Rambo and Chamberlain. The dynamic 'red arrows' are long gone. Were left with narrow players now.

Meaning we have to play infront of our opponents and we dont have the ability to do that.

Quit crying lads.

We were top of the 2013 league too :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Raf32 wrote: »
    More suited to our game though?

Possibly yeah. Though I think our game suited Giroud just fine in the first half of the season.

• Advertisement

Quit crying lads.

Yep sure no matter how we fare in the cup the balance sheet will be held aloft by our economists on the open top double decker bus followed by a civic reception at Islington town hall

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

When we lost Ozil, the confidence in the team went.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Possibly yeah. Though I think our game suited Giroud just fine in the first half of the season.

Yup i agree just when the injuries happened, we fell apart. Just dont want to build our team to play to his strengths when he is an average player.

Looking at James McCarthy and the way he contained Yaya Toure in the FA cup final last year coupled with some sterling performances this year alongside Barkley in the middle i think many of the big clubs really missed out on him

• Looking at James McCarthy and the way he contained Yaya Toure in the FA cup final last year coupled with some sterling performances this year alongside Barkley in the middle i think many of the big clubs really missed out on him
    Including Man Utd :(

Half the price of Fellanni

• Advertisement

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    When we lost Ozil, the confidence in the team went.

Ozil was pants at Anfield along with some of those tbh. The team has a horrendous attitude when under the cosh and thats a reflection of the manager. They seem to be not playing for him any longer.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yup i agree just when the injuries happened, we fell apart. Just dont want to build our team to play to his strengths when he is an average player.

I think he's a bit above average, but would agree he's nowhere near good enough to be building a team around.

All the talk about how Wenger took the Mars bars out of Arsenal, we're playing as if we're gorging on them before games lately.

Wenger should have signed his contract last summer or said he was gonna walk this year. Too much uncertainty, we are going to be behind again in the market this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I hate to say it but. I think that game is the game that broke the camel's back for me.

Wenger has to go imo. Our starting eleven is fine bar a good CF. But my bigges gripe is our lack of tactics we got one plan and one plan only in every game we know it, opposition fans know it and worst of all oppossing managers know it. 3-0 against Everton ffs.

Yes we have been cursed with injuries this year but we knew we needed a CF all year what did we get Sanogo.

Walcott and Ramsey out injured in December were topping the league the sun is shining ok bring in some player's to plug the holes and push on what do we do bring in one player a CM with a fcuking back injury and that for me was the biggest mistake and one that is unforgivable.

Get in Klopp wave Wenger's 7 million a year contract in his face and he will find it hard to turn down.

Even if we get 4th and the F.A Cup he should still go. Time is up, thank you for everything. But football has moved on and you can't be stubborn abd refuse to move with it.

I couldn't care less if Jack the Ripper was manager if he knew what he was doing and motivated the players and as long as we went out and battled the opposition i'd be happy. We are not getting that now so I think its time for Wenger to ride into the sunset. The results since the new year have been embarrassing as have his tactics or lack of them.

• All the talk about how Wenger took the Mars bars out of Arsenal, we're playing as if we're gorging on them before games lately.
    Nobody running into space, it's all ball to feet with no pace.
    Barkly, McCarthy, Coleman, Mereles, all exposed this again by simple running at them.
    As did, Coutinho, Suarez, Sturridge did for Liverpool.

I hate to say it but. I think that game is the game that broke the camel's back for me.

Wenger has to go imo. Our starting eleven is fine bar a good CF. But my bigges gripe is our lack of tactics we got one plan and one plan only in every game we know it, opposition fans know it and worst of all oppossing managers know it. 3-0 against Everton ffs.

Yes we have been cursed with injuries this year but we knew we needed a CF all year what did we get Sanogo.

Walcott and Ramsey out injured in December were topping the league the sun is shining ok bring in some player's to plug the holes and push on what do we do bring in one player a CM with a fcuking back injury and that for me was the biggest mistake and one that is unforgivable.

Get in Klopp wave Wenger's 7 million a year contract in his face and he will find it hard to turn down.

Even if we get 4th and the F.A Cup he should still go. Time is up, thank you for everything. But football has moved on and you can't be stubborn abd refuse to move with it.

Wenger dismissed Scholes for saying exactly what we all knew recently. He is becoming a parody of himself. What drove me mad more than anything was the attitude of Wenger with the Kallstrom cock up. A mere shrug of the shoulders at getting in an injured player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I, like many here, would like Martinez in. Not sure when though. If AW does leave, could we realistically get him from Everton?

Stale is the best word to describe us

• Advertisement

If we don't get fourth we might find it hard to attract a good manager.
    We are no longer attractive.

Ramsey surely the captain next year? only one that deserves it, him or kos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Ramsey surely the captain next year? only one that deserves it, him or kos

Mertesacker would be the best option.

I'd take Klopp all day everyday over Martinez.

I like Martinez but Klopp would be the dream come true imo.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Mertesacker would be the best option.

Not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Not for me.

He's the only player par Flamini that actually shouts and command the team.
    Kos and Ramsey Won't do that.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He's the only player par Flamini that actually shouts and command the team.
    Kos and Ramsey Won't do that.

Agreed but they can learn to do that. Sometimes the best captain is one that sets the tone by playing by example. Vieira had that drive about him, ramsey does too. Per's play is questionable sometimes.

Yeah I think Mert is a good shout for captain but I wouldn't be upset to see Ramsey get it either.

This team would do well in the early 00's. Its a more powerful physical game now. We dont have enough athletes. Look at Liverpool, Chelsea, City and even Everton to an extent.

• Advertisement

If we don't get fourth we might find it hard to attract a good manager.
    We are no longer attractive.

We need a makeover fast.

First time all season there hasn't been a big argument in here after a loss. Everyone seems to be on the same page regarding the team at last. A shame it's because they ultimately crumbled under pressure again rather than proving their doubters wrong.

Agreed but they can learn to do that. Sometimes the best captain is one that sets the tone by playing by example. Vieira had that drive about him, ramsey does too. Per's play is questionable sometimes.

I think your being incredibly harsh on Merts he has undoubtedly been one of our best players the last two seasons and won over all his critics in the process.

Yea he looks shaky playing beside Verm so does our whole defence he unsettles things and doesn't inspire confidence.

Mert and Kos together are brilliant and it's not because Kos makes Mert look good there just a great pairing of players who read each other well and whose styles compliment each other.

I think your being incredibly harsh on Merts he has undoubtedly been one of our best players the last two seasons and won over all his critics in the process.

Yea he looks shaky playing beside Verm so does our whole defence he unsettles things and doesn't inspire confidence.

Mert and Kos together are brilliant and it's not because Kos makes Mert look good there just a great pairing of players who read each other well and whose styles compliment each other.

Kos Mert partnership is brilliant, but in the big games i feel teams target him which is frustrating.

I think both Mert and Kos suffer when they don't play together, neither player looks as good without the other.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think Wenger's time is done. CL football is more important for attracting a decent replacement and strengthening the team going forward even if the team don't win it. I desperately want to win the FA cup and end the drought but in terms of the bigger picture it doesn't mean as much.

And no offense to your buddy, but he was no true fan in the first place. Even the most vocal anti-wenger or negative fans I know would never walk away from supporting the club, whether they're scrapping for 4th or getting relegated.

I can remember 94/95 well, Fowlers quick hat-trick at Anfield, looking over our shoulders at one stage, Merson admitting to cocaine addiction, Graham being sacked for taking a bung, the tension the night in Genoa where we just about forced the game to extra time before winning on penalties........and then fúcking Nayim in the CWC final....

When i didnt abandon Arsenal that year after a 12th place finish and around 14 league defeats i decided i just wasn't capable of it and im sure even older fans will remember the days we actually flirted with the old division two and were beaten in quite a few cup finals with a good team that at least put in some effort.

Where the club is at the moment i just think they need a change in order to bring us to the next level as we are out of ideas. Im certainly not appealing to fellow Arsenal fans to put Wenger in perspective although yes times have been worse.
    Ive seen a few dark days and i just think with the money at our disposal its time to embrace brighter days again for a change. We deserve it. The boasting of retained earnings at this stage is between grigging and insulting us when we see the net result in the transfer market. Yaya fookin Sanogo and an injured Kim Kallstrom on loan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I still maintain that we need to give Wenger the summer to see what he can do but my confidence is waning fast...that display today was nothing short of depressing. Everton ffs, how degrading. Chelsea I can understand and even Liverpool to some extent but Everton humiliating us like that? Jesus Christ almighty.

If we don't spend a combined total of £55m on a CF and a DM then he can leave. Bringing Sanogo on as our "backup" to that donkey Giroud is embarrassing. Everyone is laughing at us and to be perfectly honest who can blame them. Arteta is finished. Should be struggling to make it into the squad for a rotation position let alone start for what is supposedly one of the best clubs in the world. Cazorla should be Ozil's backup, sticking him out on the wing is pissing poor Sagna off and making a mockery of Cazorlas ability.

4th this year is imperative or we're screwed. End of story. FA Cup doesn't matter at all, it would be nice to have and a decent confidence boost but it would do no more than paper over cracks that need to be addressed.

Kos Mert partnership is brilliant, but in the big games i feel teams target him which is frustrating.

Maybe so but in big games when our midfield actually turn up it generally doesn't work. Mert and Kos compliment each other perfect Mert a brilliant reader of the game Kos being more the sweeper type.

When it hasn't or doesn't work generally I wouldn't blame them it's more our midfield being over ran giving them no cover and leaving them exposed.

Will Kos want to walk this summer? Munich wanted him last year and they still need a cb.

Will Kos want to walk this summer? Munich wanted him last year and they still need a cb.

Thats the worry. Also Ozil will begin to think 'is this what i signed up for?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I still maintain that we need to give Wenger the summer to see what he can do but my confidence is waning fast...that display today was nothing short of depressing. Everton ffs, how degrading. Chelsea I can understand and even Liverpool to some extent but Everton humiliating us like that? Jesus Christ almighty.

I am leaning towards the neutral myself.
    If we can find a good replacement manager, I don't mind if he leaves. He offered Arsenal, mainly the first decade.
    The team needs a change in attitude, in training methods, in anything that can help us make a fresh start.

• Advertisement

If we don't spend a combined total of £55m on a CF and a DM then he can leave. Bringing Sanogo on as our "backup" to that donkey Giroud is embarrassing. Everyone is laughing at us and to be perfectly honest who can blame them. Arteta is finished. Should be struggling to make it into the squad for a rotation position let alone start for what is supposedly one of the best clubs in the world. Cazorla should be Ozil's backup, sticking him out on the wing is pissing poor Sagna off and making a mockery of Cazorlas ability.

4th this year is imperative or we're screwed. End of story. FA Cup doesn't matter at all, it would be nice to have and a decent confidence boost but it would do no more than paper over cracks that need to be addressed.

Wenger will not change when it comes to buying players, IMO. He can have all the tactics he likes, but without the quality, who is he kidding? A first class striker was needed in January..... Been said ad nauseum on this forum. We failed
    to get one. It shows.

Yup was saying that to a few during the match. Ozil is far better than this, if wenger walks only way we keep him would probably be by bringing in Low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Spurning Luis Gustavo in the summer and Sahin the year before just puts it in perspective for me. Both exactly what we needed in their respective positions, both shunned in favour of placing square pegs in round holes (Diaby and Flamini respectively).

I love me Arteta but its alarming to see how much he has declined in 1 year. Legs are well and truly gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Couldnt blame him if he wanted to go to a club with some ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yup was saying that to a few during the match. Ozil is far better than this, if wenger walks only way we keep him would probably be by bringing in Low

Equally there's an excellent opportunity to build a team around him if a new manager comes in.

Feels like the end of an era tbh; I just hope he bow out with that Cup.

Well, tbh...

F*ck him if that's his attitude. His contract is solid.

Well, tbh...

F*ck him if that's his attitude. His contract is solid.

At the end of the day to get his caliber of player you have to at minimum achieve CL football in order to keep that carrot dangling. Instead here he is staring down the barrel of the abyss of either nothing or the Thursday night cup and the potential of no medal around his neck.

Fair play to him if he stays but id imagine if Wenger goes into next season armed with that shower of gutless wimps then Ozil and a few others could be forgiven for having some ambition.

I really feel sorry for Sagna who has devoted seven years to Arsenal only to win fúck all. We thought Van Persie should have done the same too. Fact is when the opportunity was there to push to the next level, time and time again we've sold players and bought in no replacements. Not good enough any more. The financial state of the club can no longer be used as an excuse. When we've had finances we signed injured players on loan and absolutely useless players like Sanogo.

At the end of the day to get his caliber of player you have to at minimum achieve CL football in order to keep that carrot dangling. Instead here he is staring down the barrel of the abyss of either nothing or the Thursday night cup and the potential of no medal around his neck.

Fair play to him if he stays but id imagine if Wenger goes into next season armed with that shower of gutless wimps then Ozil and a few others could be forgiven for having some ambition.

I really feel sorry for Sagna who has devoted seven years to Arsenal only to win fúck all. We thought Van Persie should have done the same too. Fact is when the opportunity was there to push to the next level, time and time again we've sold players and bought in no replacements. Not good enough any more. The financial state of the club can no longer be used as an excuse. When we've had finances we signed injured players on loan and absolutely useless players like Sanogo.

Best post today man, sums up how we all feel.

Cazorla is behaving like a little bitch tbh. The very least a footballer on tens of thousands a week should be able to do is help his teammate out. He is a proper nob. As for his mate Monreal you'd nearly see better defending in division four of the Tipp South and district league. Rancid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Scholes had the nail on the head a couple of weeks back ,no leaders, no tactics...no hope and to quote another ex united lad...Fail to prepare, Prepare to Fail and we've done that for far too long, Writing was on the wall after the Villa performance and the Ozil signing coupled with the searing run of form by Aaron Ramsey papered over the cracks

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement