Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

TheGunns wrote: »
    I'd rather he stay but if he leaves I think I'd also welcome it. Seems almost like he's out of ideas, not long ago I was extrememly optimistic but right now I feel in my gut that he will leave.

Would be a shame really for it to end like this, one last go next season wouldn't be a disaster.

Im an Arsenal supporter and not an Arsene Wenger one. Quite frankly im even running short on sympathy for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

There was enough on the field today to match everton and possibly beat them but we ended up being pretty much stuffed yet again.

Arsene is the best manager in our history but the game has moved on slightly and hes unable/unwilling to keep up.

Conceding something like 20 goals in four games is unforgivable for a supposed top team. Would any other manager be allowed continue after repeated humiliations?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm not against change either

Just giving my opinion on what I think is best

I think last summer was the first step forward
    I think he fcuked up in jan but he did so because he didn't want too loses his targets he gambled and it backfired

I think injuries cost this year more than anything

Maybe in thinking with my heart more than my head, but I love the man and I love what he done for this club

And I want him to bring us success and I think he will

The way the club have approached games both tactically and mentally on the pitch even injuries cannot be used as an excuse any more.. Rosicky, Cazorla, Arteta, Flamini, and Monreal are all experienced players and yet were all woeful today. You had Pod who was first to be taken off and yet was the only player who had a shot on goal. You had Giroud up front that may as well be mummified such is his slowness.

I disagree with you on many levels. WE WILL NEVER WIN ANYTHING WITH WENGER IN CHARGE AGAIN. We took a step forward with Ozil in September and now we have taken two back. Face facts its over for Wenger he is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Im an Arsenal supporter and not an Arsene Wenger one. Quite frankly im even running short on sympathy for him.

He appears to me to be too stubborn, too involved in the financial end of things, a poor tactician and a poor motivator. He's also slow to change things when not working well as we saw today. We were being crapped on down the flanks and he allowed it to continue without substitutions until we went 3 down FFS.

The posters on here would have set us up better against Chelsea and Liverpool than he did. I'm beginning to think that he is becoming the butt of other managers jokes as our teams are so easy to play against of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

As you all know I have a season ticket at arsenal.

I live about a mile from the ground and have done for nearly 20 years.

The mood amongst supporters and locals is one of utter contempt for Wenger.

Many locals have been completely priced out of matches; I'm fortunate I'm not one of them. Another 3% price rise on my £1,404 season ticket announced when the club is ****ing awash with cash. I'm an idiot and will renew.

The team has no backbone. Other than the BFG the rest have no fight, no spirit. Adams, Keown etc would be horrified.

Wenger is outdated. He won't spend the money the club has (ozil was a panic buy) and his tactics and fitness regime are of a dinosaur era.

Talk of team spirit is horse ****. They are mercenaries.

Wenger doesn't make a change today until we are 3-0 down.

The sooner Wenger goes and doesn't destroy his legacy completely, the better.

I know I'll get people going I'm not a true fan etc etc.

But what I'm telling you is what the local true fans believe and are saying. May not be what the armchair fanatics want to hear but unfortunately it is the mood of north London.

Arsene defending his team is pathetic today. Enough is enough.

Disgraceful stuff. Wenger looked like an old man. More tomorrow when I sober up :pac:

The way the club have approached games both tactically and mentally on the pitch even injuries cannot be used as an excuse any more.. Rosicky, Cazorla, Arteta, Flamini, and Monreal are all experienced players and yet were all woeful today. You had Pod who was first to be taken off and yet was the only player who had a shot on goal. You had Giroud up front that may as well be mummified such is his slowness.

I disagree with you on many levels. WE WILL NEVER WIN ANYTHING WITH WENGER IN CHARGE AGAIN. We took a step forward with Ozil in September and now we have taken two back. Face facts its over for Wenger he is done.

You can use caps all ya like

But if we win the fa cup that sentence means shît and your face facts comment will also mean complete shît

You do realise that

He appears to me to be too stubborn, too involved in the financial end of things, a poor tactician and a poor motivator. He's also slow to change things when not working well as we saw today. We were being crapped on down the flanks and he allowed it to continue without substitutions until we went 3 down FFS.

The posters on here would have set us up better against Chelsea and Liverpool than he did. I'm beginning to think that he is becoming the butt of other managers jokes as our teams are so easy to play against of late.

Very true. Wenger continually bleats about the importance of financial fair play and yet Arsenal fans handing over £60 to see a match have to put up with him signing an injured player on loan and Wenger not even using one sub like against Chelsea on December 23 at the Emirates when we had them on the rack.

So were not winning because Chelsea are spending more then us Arsene or your actually just handicapping your own side?

As far as i'm concerned your the architect of your own luck or failings and Wenger cannot put our demise down to bad luck. He had been at the heart of it.

Pudders wrote: »
    As you all know I have a season ticket at arsenal.

I live about a mile from the ground and have done for nearly 20 years.

The mood amongst supporters and locals is one of utter contempt for Wenger.

Many locals have been completely priced out of matches; I'm fortunate I'm not one of them. Another 3% price rise on my £1,404 season ticket announced when the club is ****ing awash with cash. I'm an idiot and will renew.

The team has no backbone. Other than the BFG the rest have no fight, no spirit. Adams, Keown etc would be horrified.

Wenger is outdated. He won't spend the money the club has (ozil was a panic buy) and his tactics and fitness regime are of a dinosaur era.

Talk of team spirit is horse ****. They are mercenaries.

Wenger doesn't make a change today until we are 3-0 down.

The sooner Wenger goes and doesn't destroy his legacy completely, the better.

I know I'll get people going I'm not a true fan etc etc.

But what I'm telling you is what the local true fans believe and are saying. May not be what the armchair fanatics want to hear but unfortunately it is the mood of north London.

Arsene defending his team is pathetic today. Enough is enough.

I was understanding your point until you mentioned the "true fans" and the "armchair fanatics"

What complete bollocks

• Advertisement

You can use caps all ya like

But if we win the fa cup that sentence means shît and your face facts comment will also mean complete shît

You do realise that

We are staring down the barrel of 5th or even worse at the moment. The FA cup might get one monkey off our back but 1) we need to be in the Champions league and 2) we dont actually look like we can win the semi let alone the cup on current form.

The fact is if we finish 5th and win the cup it will still mean regression for me. Yes it will be a trophy but we will be out of that all important top 4 spot.

4th and a trophy would be progress but there would still be huge question marks over our performances against the top teams this season considering we were leading the league for a good portion of the season. Alot more questions then answers. I for one have no faith in him bringing the club forward after this season either way. We need a change. Football has moved on and Arsene has stayed stagnant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Realistically if he did go who would take it? Klopp just signed a contract, Martinez has just joined Everton and wont leave if they have champions league football. Simeone definitely wont leave. That leaves Low, De Boer or Pochetinno?

Disgraceful stuff. Wenger looked like an old man. More tomorrow when I sober up :pac:

Id give this one a few days if i were you :pac:

We are staring down the barrel of 5th or even worse at the moment. The FA cup might get one monkey off our back but 1) we need to be in the Champions league and 2) we dont actually look like we can win the semi let alone the cup on current form.

The fact is if we finish 5th and win the cup it will still mean regression for me. Yes it will be a trophy but we will be out of that all important top 4 spot.

4th and a trophy would be progress but there would still be huge question marks over our performances against the top teams this season considering we were leading the league for a good portion of the season. Alot more questions then answers. I for one have no faith in him bringing the club forward after this season either way. We need a change. Football has moved on and Arsene has stayed stagnant

I can agree with lots of this post

The bits I disagree with I can understand cause now your giving me your opinion and not slamming absolutes at me

Raf32 wrote: »
    Realistically if he did go who would take it? Klopp just signed a contract, Martinez has just joined Everton and wont leave if they have champions league football. Simeone definitely wont leave. That leaves Low, De Boer or Pochetinno?

De Boer for me

I can agree with lots of this post

The bits I disagree with I can understand cause now your giving me your opinion and not slamming absolutes at me

Sorry mate as you can probably appreciate its been yet another frustrating day for us gooners

Sorry mate as you can probably appreciate its been yet another frustrating day for us gooners

No apologies needed

I understand your frustrations and can def see where your from

Change might not be a bad thing either

I was understanding your point until you mentioned the "true fans" and the "armchair fanatics"

What complete bollocks
    I'm not a true fan. I'm a local but didn't grow up as an arsenal fan.

There are people who won't accept any criticism of arsenal or Wenger. They are fanatics.

I understand arsenal fans in Ireland can't have season tickets etc. but they also should be aware that the locals absolutely ****ing despise Wenger at the moment.

And on here people have hounded jonneymendoza and others who have expressed views that are in the vast majority in N1 and N5 but are not the views on this forum.

There are people who won't accept any criticism of arsenal or Wenger. They are fanatics.

I understand arsenal fans in Ireland can't have season tickets etc. but they also should be aware that the locals absolutely ****ing despise Wenger at the moment.

And on here people have hounded jonneymendoza and others who have expressed views that are in the vast majority in N1 and N5 but are not the views on this forum.

I gets over around 8 times a year that don't make me anymore or less of a fan than you a season ticket holder or that of a fan who can't get over

I don't hound any fan as every fan is entitled to there opinion, some fans would torment ya but if that's there opinion fair enough

Labelling fans as "true fans" or "armchair fanatics" is bullshît

Amd as for the locals Arsenal is a worldwide brand now just cause the "locals" are pîssed that don't make them right or that wenger should go cause the "locals" think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

De Boer for me

He's off to Spurs from the looks of it.
    I've been impressed with what he's done at Ajax.

Totally different thing doing it here though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

How do ye see the battle for fourth lads? I still think you'll do it - expect Everton to drop points against both Everton and City.

Despising him is a strong emotion and i cant say im that gone far yet but i can understand how he frustrates the hell out of people. The style of play, the transfer policy, the bullsh*t peddled in the media thereafter does him no favours. After what looked to be a promising season has gone sour due to the hammerings we have taken and worrying if we were to study where most of our goals have been conceded i would say on the break. Giroud miscontrolled a ball at the Everton end today and moments later it ended up in our net. There is something radically wrong there.

How do ye see the battle for fourth lads? I still think you'll do it - expect Everton to drop points against both Everton and City.

If Everton can drop points at Everton

Then I'm really confident :):)

If Everton can drop points at Everton

Then I'm really confident :):)

Ha, derp! :D

Chelsea, of course.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    He's off to Spurs from the looks of it.
    I've been impressed with what he's done at Ajax.

Totally different thing doing it here though..

Was hoping the get van gal

Hoping they don't get de boer I think he will be a good one

• Advertisement

I gets over around 8 times a year that don't make me anymore or less of a fan than you a season ticket holder or that of a fan who can't get over

I don't hound any fan as every fan is entitled to there opinion, some fans would torment ya but if that's there opinion fair enough

Labelling fans as "true fans" or "armchair fanatics" is bullshît

Amd as for the locals Arsenal is a worldwide brand now just cause the "locals" are pîssed that don't make them right or that wenger should go cause the "locals" think so
    Arsenal as a worldwide brand is everything wrong with football. Arsenal are a football club. They have a local identity. Brands are for products not sports clubs.

I was not saying I am a better fan because I ave a season ticket. But I feel that the locals are more important to the club than the overseas fans. Maybe it's my GAA heritage. Give me Kilkenny over Ireland and Arsenal.

Arsenal as a worldwide brand is everything wrong with football. Arsenal are a football club. They have a local identity. Brands are for products not sports clubs.

I was not saying I am a better fan because I ave a season ticket. But I feel that the locals are more important to the club than the overseas fans. Maybe it's my GAA heritage. Give me Kilkenny over Ireland and Arsenal.

Sorry but thats a ridiculous comment, arent we all just fans?

It's just the modern age I'm afraid but locals don't mean as much as they once did

As a side note I despise Kilkenny :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I know things are bad at the moment but I genuinely don't understand how anyone could "despise" the man whether they're from N5 or not. As far as I'm concerned, his achievements will always far outweigh his failures and I have no doubt that he truly loves the club. Like others though, I think his time is up and I hope that he realises that himself. I would like to think that the players could muster two decent performances and win him his final trophy though right now, I'm not too confident that they have it in them.

I'm drunk.

Arsene, win the cup, get 4th and spend £100m on a new striker, a defensive midfielder, a winger, and a full back and all will be forgiven.

• Advertisement

I'm drunk.

Arsene, win the cup, get 4th and spend £100m on a new striker, a defensive midfielder, a winger, and a full back and all will be forgiven.

Its something stronger than drink if you have this type of optimism right now. :pac:

Ha, derp! :D

Chelsea, of course.

I think you mean City. They don't play Chelsea again.

I think you mean City. They don't play Chelsea again.

I meant United, and yeah I'll just go ahead and shut up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I really want wenger to stay

But if his time is up

I want frank de boer

Can I ask you why?

I've been backing the team all season but faith has been waning in recent weeks.

We've been humiliated a few times this season not just lost but badly beaten, tactics have been all wrong so many times we never have a plan B.

We were 3-0 down today before he made a change the game was over by then to late to be changing things up at that point imo.

We all knew everyone knew bar Wenger and the board we needed to sign players in January espeicially with the injuries we had to keep momentum going but we signed an injured player which is beyond a joke imo.

This isn't reactionary it's just finally giving up the ghost that is Wenger.

I respect him he's done amazing things at this club but and its a big but even if he manages to get 4th and the F.A Cup I feel he should still walk.

This is an implosion of all implosions from title challengers to now facing the possibility of no Champions League football is disgraceful and that falls fully on Wengers lap.

Give Klopp a 7.5 million a year deal and let him do his thing, I'd be more confident with him in charge next season than facing another one with Wenger. I don't want to witness another shambles of a summer followed by renewed hope only to watch it fall apart at the seems again it's like the film Groundhog Day season after season at this stage.

Can I ask you why?

I've been backing the team all season but faith has been waning in recent weeks.

We've been humiliated a few times this season not just lost but badly beaten, tactics have been all wrong so many times we never have a plan B.

We were 3-0 down today before he made a change the game was over by then to late to be changing things up at that point imo.

We all knew everyone knew bar Wenger and the board we needed to sign players in January espeicially with the injuries we had to keep momentum going but we signed an injured player which is beyond a joke imo.

This isn't reactionary it's just finally giving up the ghost that is Wenger.

I respect him he's done amazing things at this club but and its a big but even if he manages to get 4th and the F.A Cup I feel he should still walk.

This is an implosion of all implosions from title challengers to now facing the possibility of no Champions League football is disgraceful and that falls fully on Wengers lap.

Give Klopp a 7.5 million a year deal and let him do his thing, I'd be more confident with him in charge next season than facing another one with Wenger. I don't want to witness another shambles of a summer followed by renewed hope only to watch it fall apart at the seems again it's like the film Groundhog Day season after season at this stage.

I gave my reasons a few posts back if ya don't mind checking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

1: Giroud has never really been a 90-minute player. He just can't given how physical his game is and that's kind of understandable. He does always need a sub towards the end unless we're cantering to victory.

2: The sub at the moment has never scored a senior goal for Arsenal

3: This was the situation all through January when something could have been done about it and we were still fighting at the top of the league.

So just to confirm, in the last 6 PL games where we've scored 4 goals and picked up 5 points, we've only been able to play one striker that has actually ever scored for us ... and this isn't cause any strikers are injured, this is by choice.

Wenger is keeping me on canine standard loyalty alone. I don't want him to go and will be happy if he starts next year but if he didn't have the power he does, he'd be out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

People think this is only the last while we have fell apart but we had an easy start to season compared to others so thats why we went top. It was obvious whenever we met a big team we were made look stupid.
    And will someone tell me why season after season we are so crippled with injuries are the players not training right/resting right/warming up and down proper or whats goin on?

As sad as it is to say it is time for wenger to go the problem is its a few seasons too late.

gosplan wrote: »
    1: Giroud has never really been a 90-minute player. He just can't given how physical his game is and that's kind of understandable. He does always need a sub towards the end unless we're cantering to victory.

2: The sub at the moment has never scored a senior goal for Arsenal

3: This was the situation all through January when something could have been done about it and we were still fighting at the top of the league.

So just to confirm, in the last 6 PL games where we've scored 4 goals and picked up 5 points, we've only been able to play one striker that has actually ever scored for us ... and this isn't cause any strikers are injured, this is by choice.

Wenger is keeping me on canine standard loyalty alone. I don't want him to go and will be happy if he starts next year but if he didn't have the power he does, he'd be out the door.

How can you still want someone who now obviously lacks the ability to motivate, change, prepare the team, buy to fill gaps etc?

To give Wenger his due he was brilliant for the first years of his reign but we continue to flatter to deceive every season and if we fail to win the cup we will have 10 barren years and yet we pay our manager 7 million a year for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm so disappointed. I can't put my feelings into words but I've a feeling like I've been punched in the guts.
    What a complete **** ending to a once promising season. Trounced like relegation candidates. Our form is atrocious. Bereft of ideas or guile. Awful awful stuff. Arteta is done. Dire. But he was signed as an attacking mid and been shoehorned in to that position. Something rotten at the club. How can a so called top team get blown away, not beaten, but hammered three or four times in a season?
    We're a running joke at this stage.
    Does anyone have faith that we'll win the cup? Or retain a cl place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

People think this is only the last while we have fell apart but we had an easy start to season compared to others so thats why we went top. It was obvious whenever we met a big team we were made look stupid.
    And will someone tell me why season after season we are so crippled with injuries are the players not training right/resting right/warming up and down proper or whats goin on?

As sad as it is to say it is time for wenger to go the problem is its a few seasons too late.

Now as much as I'm agreeing it's time Wenger should go, that bit bolded is complete and utter rubbish and is bandied about far to much from our own fans and the media.

We were top going into January after playing every team in the league once.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I'm so disappointed. I can't put my feelings into words but I've a feeling like I've been punched in the guts.
    What a complete **** ending to a once promising season. Trounced like relegation candidates. Our form is atrocious. Bereft of ideas or guile. Awful awful stuff. Arteta is done. Dire. But he was signed as an attacking mid and been shoehorned in to that position. Something rotten at the club. How can a so called top team get blown away, not beaten, but hammered three or four times in a season?
    We're a running joke at this stage.
    Does anyone have faith that we'll win the cup? Or retain a cl place?

Nope thought fourth was gone once we lost to chelsea. Thought we would get our tails up after tho for the cup but its not gonna happen. Even if we beat Wigan, i would fancy Hull to beat us.

I think even for Wenger's own good he'd be better making a change at this stage. Id like to see him get a job with a reasonable transfer budget and a bit of freedom. But the 'be careful what you wish for' argument just doesnt phase me any more. We have shipped some hammerings in the last ten years. The club is in need of fresh impetus.

Id like to see him get a job with a reasonable transfer budget and a bit of freedom.

He's got free reign at Arsenal and a huge budget. At least that's what we're led to believe.

He's got free reign at Arsenal and a huge budget. At least that's what we're led to believe.

Its hard to imagine that the likes of Hill-Wood and that BoD would give anyone free reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

The way things are looking unless we seriously buck up!

Wigan v Arsenal Sat 12 Apr 17:07 (Lose)

Arsenal v West Ham Tue 15 Apr 19:45 (Lose! Playing on a dodgy Tuesday night under the influence of nerves and no confidence)

Hull v Arsenal Sat 19 Apr 17:30 (Lose. Hard place to go, especially when under pressure)

Arsenal v Newcastle Mon 28 Apr 20:00 (Lose!)

Arsenal v West Brom Sun 4 May 13:30 (Lose)

Norwich v Arsenal Sun 11 May 15:00 (Win)

Now as much as I'm agreeing it's time Wenger should go, that bit bolded is complete and utter rubbish and is bandied about far to much from our own fans and the media.

We were top going into January after playing every team in the league once.

You're probably stuck in your position and facts and reason won't change it but we're still tracking with our points total from corresponding fixtures last season. Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

DenMan wrote: »

Arsenal v West Ham Tue 15 Apr 19:45 (Lose! Playing on a dodgy Tuesday night under the influence of nerves and no confidence)

Hull v Arsenal Sat 19 Apr 17:30 (Lose. Hard place to go, especially when under pressure)

Arsenal v Newcastle Mon 28 Apr 20:00 (Lose! Same as Hull)

Good one. . .:rolleyes:

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Good one. . .:rolleyes:

Being realistic!

DenMan wrote: »

Arsenal v Newcastle Mon 28 Apr 20:00 (Lose!)

seriously, even **** arsenal should be winning all those.

• Advertisement

seriously, even **** arsenal should be winning all those.

Under normal circumstances yes! Right now...any club with any sense would fancy their chances against us!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement