Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

DenMan wrote: »
    Being realistic!

Good to see you haven't lost your optimism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You're probably stuck in your position and facts and reason won't change it but we're still tracking with our points total from corresponding fixtures last season. Funny that.

I've always said it is over simplifying things by comparing points totals from one year to another imo.

Sure didn't we win the EPL with the lowest points tally in our undefeated season? ;).

Facts are we were top after playing every team once top is top regardless since then though we have imploded which is not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The idea of us beating Arsenal is truly hilarious. Even as out of form as they are now.

I wouldn't back us to beat a pub team at the moment. Even if the pub team played without a goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The way things are looking unless we seriously buck up!

Wigan v Arsenal Sat 12 Apr 17:07 (Lose)

Arsenal v West Ham Tue 15 Apr 19:45 (Lose! Playing on a dodgy Tuesday night under the influence of nerves and no confidence)

Hull v Arsenal Sat 19 Apr 17:30 (Lose. Hard place to go, especially when under pressure)

Arsenal v Newcastle Mon 28 Apr 20:00 (Lose!)

Arsenal v West Brom Sun 4 May 13:30 (Lose)

Norwich v Arsenal Sun 11 May 15:00 (Win)

We'll beat West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom and Norwich and draw away to Hull. If we get to a Cup Final and lose again then Wenger will go anyway i'd say. I think we will get fourth but it's still a shambles of a season for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Being realistic!

are you now?

• Advertisement

The way things are looking unless we seriously buck up!

Wigan v Arsenal Sat 12 Apr 17:07 (Lose)

Arsenal v West Ham Tue 15 Apr 19:45 (Lose! Playing on a dodgy Tuesday night under the influence of nerves and no confidence)

Hull v Arsenal Sat 19 Apr 17:30 (Lose. Hard place to go, especially when under pressure)

Arsenal v Newcastle Mon 28 Apr 20:00 (Lose!)

Arsenal v West Brom Sun 4 May 13:30 (Lose)

Norwich v Arsenal Sun 11 May 15:00 (Win)

I think Newcastle are gone to shíte. That should be winnable. Norwich have sacked Hughton this late so i cant expect their morale to be great. WBA are playing pants. Hull and West Ham could be tricky ill admit. Then Wigan in the cup who we dont know what to expect. We need to attack them from the off and stop fluting around.

4th is out of our hands now. We just need to focus on winning our remaining six to seven games and hopefully faith will reward us in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Now as much as I'm agreeing it's time Wenger should go, that bit bolded is complete and utter rubbish and is bandied about far to much from our own fans and the media.

We were top going into January after playing every team in the league once.

Such delusion in this thread halfway through the season what big team had we bet convincingly???????????????????????????

Man city and chelsea had new managers so it was obvious it woukd take a while for them to settle and we still couldnt do a job on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We'll beat West Ham, Newcastle, West Brom and Norwich and draw away to Hull. If we get to a Cup Final and lose again then Wenger will go anyway i'd say. I think we will get fourth but it's still a shambles of a season for me.

If we dont win all five Everton will be in ahead of us even with 4 wins and 2 draws on GD.

Raf32 wrote: »
    If we dont win all five Everton will be in ahead of us even with 4 wins and 2 draws on GD.

I predict that Everton will not beat City, United and Southampton away. There now.

Such delusion in this thread halfway through the season what big team had we bet convincingly???????????????????????????

Man city and chelsea had new managers so it was obvious it woukd take a while for them to settle and we still couldnt do a job on them.

Delusion were we or were we not top after playing every team once in the league yes or no??? It's as simple as that.

I have said Wenger should walk at the end of the season but there is sensible talk and nonsense this falls under the latter category.

• Advertisement

I've always said it is over simplifying things by comparing points totals from one year to another imo.
    So is comparing points totals with other teams. Am I doing it right?
    Sure didn't we win the EPL with the lowest points tally in our undefeated season? ;).
    90 points we got. League was won last year with 89, season before with 89, season before with 80, season before with 86. Have you got a point to make at all?
    Facts are we were top after playing every team once top is top regardless since then though we have imploded which is not good enough.
    And we had had a fantastic run of no injuries whatsoever. Form is temporary. I saw the issues from last year all over again and was shouted down, turns out I was more on the money than I would have liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Raf32 wrote: »

i'd fancy city to beat them and hope united do us a big favour.

after all we did them a favour by being the only top 6 side to not beat them this season.

and we were kind enough to not show up at old trafford.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i'd fancy city to beat them and hope united do us a big favour.

after all we did them a favour by being the only top 6 side to not beat them this season.

and we were kind enough to not show up at old trafford.

They usually always get a good result of city at home though. Dont know what you could get with united, id fancy everton to win that one. Hopefully Southampton can hold them but i wouldnt be too overly optimistic

So is comparing points totals with other teams. Am I doing it right?

90 points we got. League was won last year with 89, season before with 89, season before with 80, season before with 86. Have you got a point to make at all?

And we had had a fantastic run of no injuries whatsoever. Form is temporary. I saw the issues from last year all over again and was shouted down, turns out I was more on the money than I would have liked.

Welcome to the ignore list because to be honest I just couldn't be arsed doing the tit for tat shiite you love it's never a discussion or debate just descends into crap everytime. First person I've ever put on it congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Delusion were we or were we not top after playing every team once in the league yes or no??? It's as simple as that.

I have said Wenger should walk at the end of the season but there is sensible talk and nonsense this falls under the latter category.

Yes but what top team had we beaten convincingly? When did we ever look like champions?
    Man united man city and chelsea all had new managers and we couldnt do a number on any of them we were on top but only because of our
    Form against weaker sides which mathematically put us on top but we all knew it was going to hit the fan.

It was a fall sense of achievement we were on top but didnt deserve to be in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Pudders wrote: »
    Arsenal as a worldwide brand is everything wrong with football. Arsenal are a football club. They have a local identity. Brands are for products not sports clubs.

I was not saying I am a better fan because I ave a season ticket. But I feel that the locals are more important to the club than the overseas fans. Maybe it's my GAA heritage. Give me Kilkenny over Ireland and Arsenal.

Is that Kilkenny football or is it just the hurling you support?

Welcome to the ignore list because to be honest I just couldn't be arsed doing the tit for tat shiite you love it's never a discussion or debate just descends into crap everytime. First person I've ever put on it congrats.
    You're very welcome, I'm just quoting this because even though you're apparently not going to read it I do want to reply to it. You couldn't come up with a single factual argument last time and accused me of not being a fan. This time you argue a point against me and I call you out on your bull**** so you decide to put me on ignore and insult me. Keep your head in the sand buddy, see you in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Lets not descend into animals like other threads do and start hating on one another

Yes but what top team had we beaten convincingly? When did we ever look like champions?
    Man united man city and chelsea all had new managers and we couldnt do a number on any of them we were on top but only because of our
    Form against weaker sides which mathematically put us on top but we all knew it was going to hit the fan.

It was a fall sense of achievement we were on top but didnt deserve to be in my opinion.

I hear what your saying but and I do half agree with you, but if your top you deserve to be there. 3 points is 3 points.

I thought most the season we had a good chance of winning the league I also said not signing player in January at least fit ones anwyay could come back to bite us in the ass.

If we had kept up our form we would still be up there battling for the title but what we have witnessed is an implosion and a bad one at that. We have been in decline since January but holding on the last few weeks though have been a disaster.

I still feel had we signed the players we needed in January thing would be very different now and that falls on Wenger imo. It's just not good enough to look at CF's all season but bring in Sanogo who is to young and inexperienced.

Then loose Walcott and Ramsey during a window and do nothing to replace that huge hole in the team.

The fact Ramsey is still our second highest scorer is shocking.

Lets not descend into animals like other threads do and start hating on one another

Or we could actually use facts, numbers and logic to form an answer. Apparently that's not a good idea around here.

• Advertisement

Since it looks like AW wont be signing a new deal, is there any chance we could get David Moyes in?

I hear what your saying but and I do half agree with you, but if your top you deserve to be there. 3 points is 3 points.

I thought most the season we had a good chance of winning the league I also said not signing player in January at least fit ones anwyay could come back to bite us in the ass.

If we had kept up our form we would still be up there battling for the title but what we have witnessed is an implosion and a bad one at that. We have been in decline since January but holding on the last few weeks though have been a disaster.

I still feel had we signed the players we needed in January thing would be very different now and that falls on Wenger imo. It's just not good enough to look at CF's all season but bring in Sanogo who is to young and inexperienced.

Then loose Walcott and Ramsey during a window and do nothing to replace that huge hole in the team.

The fact Ramsey is still our second highest scorer is shocking.

I have often said that I couldn't care less who was manager as long as we were properly prepared and fought tooth and nail.
    I started having serious doubts about AW's ability when i saw some of his selections in difficult away games and my doubts were borne out by the results.
    Then when I saw him select a rookie, Sanogo, in a difficult must-win CL game I thought Wenger was losing his marbles altogether. The lad hadn't played a full 90 minutes for the club or scored a goal for the team (he still hasn't).

But I agree with you that it all boils down to AW being too stubborn and not buying a CF in January. That was just criminal and I am beginning to think that Ozil was a panic buy to appease fans.

That was just criminal and I am beginning to think that Ozil was a panic buy to appease fans.

Ozil wasn't so much a panic buy as a last minute opportunistic buy.

If we'd not gotten him Wenger would have gone with just signing Flamini and Sanogo on frees.

We had 160m in the bank if i recall correctly.

Shambles.

Said it a few months back but really wouldnt mind seeing ox up top now.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Ozil wasn't so much a panic buy as a last minute opportunistic buy.

If we'd not gotten him Wenger would have gone with just signing Flamini and Sanogo on frees.

We had 160m in the bank if i recall correctly.

Shambles.

I think this is more in line with what it was, Wenger was always a fan of Ozil since before his Madrid days and it just happened right place right time.

But if I remember correctly AFCamden or Dean as he's now known lost faith in Wenger for the first time this summer because of some of the goings on over transfers.

Said some signings were agreed or close the club would meet asking price but Wenger said no etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I know I'm staying the obvious here, but how Sanogo is an Arsenal player is absolutely mystifying to me. He's featured a few times and at no point has e shown any signs that he is up to the level required.

I feel sad watching Wenger in the post match interview. Looks broken and like his heart isn't in it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Would anyone here be interested in Laudrup as AW's potential successor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Wouldnt touch him. Couldn't give you a reason other than not liking the cut of his jib.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Jesus, seeing AW's interview after the game he looks like a broken man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If he could learn to speak English I wouldn't mind Pochettino.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I predict that Everton will not beat City, United and Southampton away. There now.
    Assuming that happens.

Crazy as this sounds, unless we get a couple of results in our remaining fixtures, then.... Spurs or man utd, yes those two, may beat us, to the 4th spot. Man utd may have found their groove and will probably win all their remaining games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I know I'm staying the obvious here, but how Sanogo is an Arsenal player is absolutely mystifying to me. He's featured a few times and at no point has e shown any signs that he is up to the level required.

I feel sad watching Wenger in the post match interview. Looks broken and like his heart isn't in it anymore.

Yeah

If he wanted to stay he would have signed the contract by now.

He has come to the realisation that this is it.

Team needs major surgery, we are in a worse position than Man U, at least they have attacking talent.

Who ever gets Wenger's job is doomed, not one world class player out of the lot of them, there is a reason know one is linked to our players anymore.

Ah now Kos, Ramsey and Ozil, thats a great spine of a team to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Yeah

If he wanted to stay he would have signed the contract by now.

He has come to the realisation that this is it.

Team needs major surgery, we are in a worse position than Man U, at least they have attacking talent.

Who ever gets Wenger's job is doomed, not one world class player out of the lot of them, there is a reason know one is linked to our players anymore.

Seriously? Ozil, Ramsey and Walcott would walk into that United team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I would be open to him. He has Premier League experience, but seeing his managerial career there's nothing outstanding, so it can be a big risk.

• Advertisement

Which of the front 4 of RVP, Mata, Rooney and Kagawa do you leave out?

Even Danny ****ing Wellbeck would walk into our team.

We are a bigger mess than them.

Anyone agree?

Anyone agree?

Nope not at all, he left them no backline, no midfield, an unhappy striker and an injury prone one. Moyes actually bought mata and brought on Adnan himself in fairness. Fergie left him dirt

Which of the front 4 of RVP, Mata, Rooney and Kagawa do you leave out?

Ozil is better than Mata and Kagawa, Walcott better than any wingers they have and Ramsey better than Fellaini/Cleverley/Carrick. RVP and Rooney are obviously a class above Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Anyone agree?

No...
    That nonsense...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There's been a Wenger out contingent for years. This feels different though, it just feels like the end. Three months ago I'd have put my house on Wenger being in charge next year, really not sure at all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    If he could learn to speak English I wouldn't mind Pochettino.

Martinez would be the man.

Can't see him leaving Everton if they get CL though.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    No...
    That nonsense...

If United get rid of Moyes it won't be nonsense.

If we don't make the top 4 this year, next year will be hell.

A resurgent United, Liverpool with best striker in Europe, Chelsea way stronger, City stronger.

Better get learning how to spell Dragan Stojković properly :(

But seriously, Klopp would be a great fit.

Martinez? Not yet.

Klopp is definitely my choice. His enthusiasm and passion for a start would breath new life into the club. I really don't think it would be too difficult to poach him from Dortmund. As others have said, dangle that £7.5m contract in front of him plus £100m transfer kitty and I'm sure he'd be interested. The alternative for him is to spend the next few years fighting for 2nd place in the league and having to sell his best players to their biggest rivals. That will become disheartening very quickly.

Klopp is the dream

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Looking back to the January transfer window it still baffles me why Wenger didnt go out and strengthen our attacking options after Walcotts injury. We needed a striker and everybody knew it except the manager. 27 players went out last summer and only 3 were brought in. This club has been neglected for too long and now we will pay the price by missing out on Champions Lge football and deservedly so.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You've got to hand it to them, they're quick with their clickbait.

CatInABox wrote: »
    You've got to hand it to them, they're quick with their clickbait.

And that's all it is. Unfortunately it'll get reprinted by some rag and become gospel.

It's at times like this, the internet p*sses me off. I miss the days of knowing when someone signed by seeing the photo or the news report.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement