Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

What do fellow gunners think of this?
    I said very simply early season, it's a fluke, it's a luck of easier runs of games and some form and a lack of injuries(at the time). Luck can't hold out for an entire season, even more so when Wenger rides it. When you have no injures and are lucky in that regard some managers would protect the players, instead Wenger runs them in to the ground.

I had NO doubts in the slightest that our season would derail and descend into a top 4 fight, and frankly that is only this late in the season because Utd completely ruined their own season. If Utd hadn't gotten so much worse we'd be fighting for 5th, not 4th right now.

Nothing changed, so I didn't see why our season or our trends wouldn't continue. Sometimes you get easier games and put in a nice run of form, conversely that means a harder run of games at another time we'd do worse in. Wenger hasn't fixed or attempted to improve our system, set pieces, telling fullbacks to just occasionally play in full back positions, get a real striker, buy some physical players, buy top notch players.

Things he HAD 15 years ago, ability to spot talent(ready to go talent and genuinely top class players), full on attacking attitude, some defensive cohesiveness and maybe most importantly.... guts/balls/ruthless. I keep going back to, he sold Overmars and Petit to get good value from them and to buy Pires, a better player. That was ruthless as hell, cutting someone helping you win things for someone you deem even better.

Today Wenger refuses to get rid of Diaby, really think about that. He won't get rid of Diaby after like 6-7 years who has done nothing but take money out of the team and isn't actually good when he plays, but when we won things he got rid of two of the better players in the team because he saw room for improvement.

The man has been a completely different type of manager, and if I had to pinpoint it, 49 game unbeaten run. He took that loss badly, 4-5-1 was unheard of, not attacking everyone balls out. We lost some big games by big scores before then but never stopped or changed our style. After that we gradually went from balls out attack to 4-5-1 away from home at say top 6, to 4-5-1 away from home mostly, to adding 4-5-1 at home to bigger teams, then ultimately became a 4-5-1/4-3-3 team. But Wenger has never ever won anything or looked close to winning anything since changing system. He is not a 4-5-1/4-3-3 manager, the system has NEVER worked well, it's never been tactically cohesive, it always falls apart at important moments. He's fundamentally a 4-4-2 all out attack manager trying to use a system he isn't good at using and we've been unable to compete since he switched.

He should have walked 5 years ago and been fired or no contract renewed at the worst 4 years ago. It's a joke he's still at the club

What do fellow gunners think of this?

Who actually wrote it? The man in the moon or the dogs in the street?...or worse.....Stewart Robson? Wheres the source?

article-2598131-1CE253D800000578-408_636x382.jpg

Who actually wrote it? The man in the moon or the dogs in the street?...or worse.....Stewart Robson? Wheres the source?

just another "so called" gunner posting his thoughts.

if you read between the lines, half of the stuff he says you can disagree on tbh

Ozil is better than Mata and Kagawa, Walcott better than any wingers they have and Ramsey better than Fellaini/Cleverley/Carrick. RVP and Rooney are obviously a class above Giroud.

So what front 4 would you pick? Only RVP out of United?

just another "so called" gunner posting his thoughts.

if you read between the lines, half of the stuff he says you can disagree on tbh

I agree on some things but disagree on others. Firstly i dont believe our good start to the season was a fluke but i do agree that the Arsene Wenger from 05-14 is very different to the Arsene Wenger that took charge from 1996-2005 in terms of philosophy.

Arsenal used be able to retain possession and win possession but nowadays a team can run at us deep in from their own half and end up scoring without a challenge being put in such is our lack of intensity.

So what front 4 would you pick? Only RVP out of United?

rvp and rooney

article-2598131-1CE253D800000578-408_636x382.jpg

Hopefully the lads are just full of admiration for their next manager..

All except Kallstrom that is. He can fúck off

Hopefully the lads are just full of admiration for their next manager..

All except Kallstrom that is. He can fúck off

Or our next striker?

• Advertisement

Or our next striker?

Maybe both :pac:

rvp and rooney

So that leaves 2 of Ozil, Ramsey and Walcott.

Christ guys. This thread has hit near the 10000 mark. Almost 400 posts alone since 2am in the early hours of Sunday morning. Pure Meltdown.

As it is we will probably have to open a third thread for the remainder of 7 or 8 games though the way the team are playing we could well fill a match thread with comments

Christ guys. This thread has hit near the 10000 mark. Almost 400 posts alone since 2am in the early hours of Sunday morning. Pure Meltdown.

As it is we will probably have to open a third thread for the remainder of 7 or 8 games though the way the team are playing we could well fill a match thread with comments

why dont we have our own sub forum like how chelsea and spurs have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

So that leaves 2 of Ozil, Ramsey and Walcott.

Should we even be aiming that high?

Looking at the Everton team today.

Baines, Coleman, Distin are all better than or as good as Monreal, Sagna, Mertesacker.

Barry, Barkley, Mirallas are all better than or as good as Flamini, Arteta, Cazorla.

Lukaku is way better than all of Giroud, Sagnogo, Nicholas.

Shocking stuff.

Imagine we had unique talents like Cesc, Thierry, Pires, RVP before.

All of the 7 players starters I have mentioned are over 30 or nearing it ( minus Sagnogo and Nicholas )!

Doesn't look good.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Baines, Coleman, Distin are all better than or as good as Monreal, Sagna, Mertesacker.

Barry, Barkley, Mirallas are all better than or as good as Flamini, Arteta, Cazorla.

Shocking stuff.

All of the 7 players I have mentioned are over 30 or nearing it!

Doesn't look good.
    Was more picking a hole in what someone said :P

Monreal has shown some excellent form at times. Sagna has been class, as has Mertesacker.
    Arteta isn't good enough in DM or the "pivotay" bull**** stuff people come up with. Flamini on his own behind midfield would be fine.

Injuries are one thing but I really am starting to think tactics are the main issue. Flamini and Arteta together hasn't worked all season. Even when I wasn't posting here others pointed it out several times.

Look at the results at the top here http://www.statto.com/football/teams/arsenal 7 points from 30. If I could find my post from a month ago of Arsenal's results in games against proper opposition I could add a few to it now, we don't show up or we get shown up. The issues were blindingly obvious today and once the 3rd goal went in he might as well have left Ramsey and Chamberlain on the bench.

• Advertisement

why dont we have our own sub forum like how chelsea and spurs have?

Its crazy really. As bad as we are i can guarantee we are better supported then both in Ireland although in terms of Chelsea that's diminishing rapidly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Shocking stuff.

All of the 7 players starters I have mentioned are over 30 or nearing it ( minus Sagnogo and Nicholas )!

Doesn't look good.

Well thats wrong..

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Well thats wrong..

Distin is very under rated, been a very good defender for years, 36 as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Distin is very under rated, been a very good defender for years, 36 as well.

Thats true.
    But he's not better than Mert.

It's 40 years today since Abba won the Eurovision, only 31 to go for ous.

Goodnight friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ozil is better than Mata and Kagawa, Walcott better than any wingers they have and Ramsey better than Fellaini/Cleverley/Carrick. RVP and Rooney are obviously a class above Giroud.

Ozil is not better than Mata. They are, at worst, of a similar standard. In fact, Mata will probably score more goals than Ozil.

Plus Mata was far, far better coming from La Liga in his first season than Ozil was.

When Ozil produces a consistent season in the Premier League, then we can make the comparison.

Ozil is not better than Mata. They are, at worst, of a similar standard. In fact, Mata will probably score more goals than Ozil.

Ahahahahahahaha!
    Plus Mata was far, far better coming from La Liga in his first season than Ozil was.

Ahahahahahahaha!
    When Ozil produces a consistent season in the Premier League, then we can make the comparison.

Oh stop it already, my sides are killing me :D

Not sure what your issue is with the last bit, based on PL stuff only Mata is better than Ozil. And unless Arsenal finally overhaul things and play to Ozil's strengths it's going to stay that way for a while.

Not sure what your issue is with the last bit, based on PL stuff only Mata is better than Ozil. And unless Arsenal finally overhaul things and play to Ozil's strengths it's going to stay that way for a while.

How about he has a FULL season under his belt before requesting a consistent full season?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

A lot would disagree, including Mourinho. Would he have sold Ozil to United? Not a chance. I like Mata but just think that Ozil is a better footballer than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The thread is pure misery p0rn at the minute. We'd better give Wigan a beating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

A lot would disagree, including Mourinho. Would he have sold Ozil to United? Not a chance.

He absolutely would have.

Mourinho dropped Ozil on many occasions and subbed him off before 60 minutes in nearly every match he played at Madrid. While I would have Ozil and Mata in my team if I could, I understand his thinking. He never rated either of them because they are lazy when the opposition have the ball.

He will play guys like Oscar and Willian ahead of them every day of the week because they break their bollix defensively. That's what he likes. His Inter team won the champions league doing exactly that.

If you want to compare and discuss Ozil vs Mata....go right ahead. But claiming that Mourinho rated Ozil better and therefore your point is proven......is wildly inaccurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Eh you do know Mourinho is on record calling Ozil the best number 10 in the world don't ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He said that because he's a game player. That's what Mourinho does.

Ozil is the greatest ever, Chelsea are a little horse and have no chance in the title, Wenger is an expert in failure, Real won but United were better, "The better team lost", etc. etc.

That's what he does. He talks crap. His actions speak a lot louder than his words. And I'd be more inclined to pay attention to him screaming at Ozil from the sidelines, dropping him for big games, and hooking him every time they were under pressure. It was like clockwork.

He doesn't like defensive passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

If we're talking about actions I'd be inclined to look at the fact Ozil was a regular during Mourinhios time at Madrid were as Mata barely got a sniff of the pitch and was shipped out within months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Team v Wigan

Fab
    Sagna mert kos. Gibbs
    Flamini. Ramsey
    Ox. Caz. Rosicky
    Sanogo

Ozil back after the Wigan game too

Having Ramsey ox and ozil back, makes this a different team and I think we will be ok for the run in and we will get 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Team v Wigan

Fab
    Sagna mert kos. Gibbs
    Flamini. Ramsey
    Ox. Caz. Rosicky
    Sanogo
    Flamini is serving a 2 match ban for hitting 10 yellows

greendom wrote: »
    Flamini is serving a 2 match ban for hitting 10 yellows

Your right

Kim it is so, have lost all faith in arteta

Even if against Wigan he should be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Midfield vrs Wigan has to be

Arteta Ramsey
    Ox Caz Rosicky

With Pod coming on to make an impact.

We will not hammer them because we're incapable of hammering anyone but hopefully we can scrape by this second tier team.

Oh the joys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

P.S. what the hell does Ozil have to do with anything other than the fact we'd love him back.

gosplan wrote: »
    P.S. what the hell does Ozil have to do with anything other than the fact we'd love him back.

Were kinda gone to shît without him :)

We kinda go to **** at this stage of the season every year, regardless :P

We kinda go to **** at this stage of the season every year, regardless :P

Not really true

We either collapse to 4th
    Or rise to 4th after a great run

Always fcuking 4th though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

arseblog is very good today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ramsey will carry us past Wigan, I've no doubt about that. Imperative that him, Chamberlain and Gibbs start next Saturday.

cson wrote: »
    Ramsey will carry us past Wigan, I've no doubt about that. Imperative that him, Chamberlain and Gibbs start next Saturday.

Remarked yesterday after he was on 5 mins

Finally someone running past there defence

Not really true

We either collapse to 4th
    Or rise to 4th after a great run

Always fcuking 4th though :)

Not really true? Scraping 4th is an achievement then?
    Good lad!

Not really true? Scraping 4th is an achievement then?
    Good lad!

Where did I say that

You say we go to shït this time of year, that's not true

God lad

Where did I say that

You say we go to shït this time of year, that's not true

God lad

So are you debating the stage of the season we go to **** then?
    Because you are deluded if you are arguing we have only gone to **** because of Ozil.
    Or are you gonna backtrack and say we don't go to **** at all, we are a 4th place team every season?

• Advertisement

So are you debating the stage of the season we go to **** then?
    Because you are deluded if you are arguing we have only gone to **** because of Ozil.
    Or are you gonna backtrack and say we don't go to **** at all, we are a 4th place team every season?

Nope in not debating about this season.

I also cracked a joke about ozil

You said every season that's just not true

Good lad

Nope in not debating about this season.

I also cracked a joke about ozil

You said every season that's just not true

Good lad

So if it's not every season then you have to be implying that arsenal are a 4th/5th place team :) no matter who we bring in? And that we are matching expectations?
    Good lad :D

So if it's not every season then you have to be implying that arsenal are a 4th/5th place team :) no matter who we bring in? And that we are matching expectations?
    Good lad :D

You said we go to shît everyone season
    I pointed out you were wrong

That's about it

You said we go to shît everyone season
    I pointed out you were wrong

That's about it

I'll give you that, **** is very subjective.
    Some think 4th is an acceptable or an achievement.
    When you factor in how we lose our bottle in big games every season, you can class it as ****.
    Coaching and the manager has to be considered, Ian Wright has said on many occasions that Wenger isn't a vocal coach, we can see he cannot motivate his squad.

I'll give you that, **** is very subjective.
    Some think 4th is an acceptable or an achievement.
    When you factor in how we lose our bottle in big games every season, you can class it as ****.
    Coaching and the manager has to be considered, Ian Wright has said on many occasions that Wenger isn't a vocal coach, we can see he cannot motivate his squad.

Not really disagreeing with this

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement