Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'll give you that, **** is very subjective.
    Some think 4th is an acceptable or an achievement.
    When you factor in how we lose our bottle in big games every season, you can class it as ****.
    Coaching and the manager has to be considered, Ian Wright has said on many occasions that Wenger isn't a vocal coach, we can see he cannot motivate his squad.

You're missing his point. You said that we go to **** every year, implying that we do well to a certain point and then fall away at the end. Whereas the last two seasons we started **** and finished very strongly.

It's bizarre how we can't combine the two to any degree. We just have a homing beacon to 4th

You're missing his point. You said that we go to **** every year, implying that we do well to a certain point and then fall away at the end. Whereas the last two seasons we started **** and finished very strongly.

It's bizarre how we can't combine the two to any degree. We just have a homing beacon to 4th

I was implying that when it comes to the big games, 3 other teams better than us, we lose the bottle and you can also now factor important games into that.
    This year is the worst season of others when you look at the games we lost by more than 2 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would serve us right to finish outside the top 4. Everyone that gets it, tries to use it to their advantage and push on but we dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Where did I say that

You say we go to shït this time of year, that's not true

God lad

what is not true?

That we dont go falling down between february onwards?

Delusional mate. stats dont lie.

Minus last season, every other season for the past 9 years we have collapsed from February onwards.

Listen you can defend your best pal wenger but please do not post a lot of false claims how we dont fall over almost every time at this period.

Dont make me google and pull stats to embarrass you ok.

I was implying that when it comes to the big games, 3 other teams better than us, we lose the bottle and you can also now factor important games into that.
    This year is the worst season of others when you look at the games we lost by more than 2 goals.

when was the last time we beat Morinho's chelsea? never lol

whens the last time we beat united? We could not even beat them this season ffs!! when ever dayy team in the league has! pathetic and they even got 4 points out of the two games we played.

unacceptable. i was at the home fixture as well!

united could have beaten us for christ sakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

But you made no reference to big games in your post, this is what you said:
    We kinda go to **** at this stage of the season every year, regardless :P

I'm not saying your wrong about the big games btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Raf32 wrote: »
    Would serve us right to finish outside the top 4. Everyone that gets it, tries to use it to their advantage and push on but we dont.

Exactly this, as much as it would hurt me but whats the point in playing in it if we dont have the ambition to win it? We ****ed up big time in January not bringing in a striker, criminal decision to shoulder Sanogo with the burden of been backup striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I guess people don't really understand what the word 'every' means

Bam Bam has a point and I agree with him, every single year when we are in with a shout of the league title we blow it, every single year! Anytime we have went on a good run at the end of the season we were out of the title race. We also continously bottle the big games time and time again, I honestky cant recall beating the top teams at least once in the season. This team are a soft soft bunch who lack a bit of fight against the best teams.

This stage of the season = when it matters in my posts, ie. when we need to win to stay in the title race! we always blow it!!!!!
    Not wrong, just not what you want to hear and I can understand that lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

what is not true?

That we dont go falling down between february onwards?

Delusional mate. stats dont lie.

Minus last season, every other season for the past 9 years we have collapsed from February onwards.

Listen you can defend your best pal wenger but please do not post a lot of false claims how we dont fall over almost every time at this period.

Dont make me google and pull stats to embarrass you ok.

Ermingstar was only making the point that we don't necessarily always fall away having started well. The last two seasons before this one we started very poorly before making a comeback. I don't see how he was defending wenger in saying that. The important point here is that whether we start well or finish well we can't put together a run of 38 games in a season where we consistently play well and get results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Ermingstar was only making the point that we don't necessarily always fall away having started well. The last two seasons before this one we started very poorly before making a comeback. I don't see how he was defending wenger in saying that. The important point here is that whether we start well or finish well we can't put together a run of 38 games in a season where we consistently play well and get results.

Wasn't I not defending my pal wenger :):)

The fact is, when we need to put a decent run of results in, we fail to do so.

We have scrapped a lot of our wins this season both in europe and in the league.

When we HAD to win, we hardly if ever, do.

Table doesnt lie. stats dont lie.

Performance from arsenal is unacceptable.

I personaly dont expect us to blow away the top teams.

i expect us to to turn up and play at there near best with determination, flair and desire.

i'd be well chuffed if we lost to all the top sides but showed great determination and desire and lost by maybe a single goal or two or because of some sheer brilliance from individuals from those respective teams but not to show up and be motivated AT ALL?

that is downright disgusting.

Any other job profession and the whole lot including the manager would be sacked for not showing no desire/motivation when its needed the most.

The fact is, when we need to put a decent run of results in, we fail to do so.

We have scrapped a lot of our wins this season both in europe and in the league.

When we HAD to win, we hardly if ever, do.

Table doesnt lie. stats dont lie.

Performance from arsenal is unacceptable.

I personaly dont expect us to blow away the top teams.

i expect us to to turn up and play at there near best with determination, flair and desire.

i'd be well chuffed if we lost to all the top sides but showed great determination and desire and lost by maybe a single goal or two or because of some sheer brilliance from individuals from those respective teams but not to show up and be motivated AT ALL?

that is downright disgusting.

Any other job profession and the whole lot including the manager would be sacked for not showing no desire/motivation when its needed the most.

When you post your points without childish insults or over dramatics your actually alright

Unfortunately ya don't do it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Strong start, slow start, strong finish, poor finish its swings and roundabouts. The real problem is that the moment expectation and pressure is put on this team to achieve they struggle. We finished last season strong because the expectation was on other teams. The only consistent reason I can see over each of the last 5/6 years is that man for man our team is simply not good enough to win title. There should have been cups won along the way somewhere but they havent and that comes down to playing under expectancy.

I love Wenger and I still find myself defending him against any nongooner who has a pop, I respect him and he will always be looked back upon as the man who revolutionised our club but his time is done. The club needs a breath of fresh air / a breath of youth.

I would love to rap up 4th (which we will) and win an FA Cup (which I hope) and allow Wenger to finish up on a sort of high.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The way things are now it's hard to be optimistic. And I have been all year.

We either find a miracle to reduce the amount of injuries or we improve the depth of the squad. That's what's hurting.

At the moment - and for the last few years - our squad has been the 4th best in the league. This year we have been lucky that others haven't played to their potential and we're likely to get 4th again

But the warning signs are more obvious this year. The heavy defeats and the lack of depth are going to really hurt next year if it isn't fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Soups123 wrote: »
    I would love to rap up 4th (which we will) and win an FA Cup (which I hope)
    Hyzepher wrote: »
    This year we have been lucky that others haven't played to their potential and we're likely to get 4th again

I really can't believe people are still so confident over getting 4th. I would have very little confidence in the team at the moment and would think the FA cup is far more likely to happen. For 4th we not only have to hope that Arsenal start showing up but also that Everton's momentum is derailed (whilst also keeping an eye on Man U and Spurs).

I really can't believe people are still so confident over getting 4th. I would have very little confidence in the team at the moment and would think the FA cup is far more likely to happen. For 4th we not only have to hope that Arsenal start showing up but also that Everton's momentum is derailed (whilst also keeping an eye on Man U and Spurs).

Ramsey back now
    Ozil and kos back after Wigan

Think that's where the confidence comes from I think we will get 4th too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Bam Bam has a point and I agree with him, every single year when we are in with a shout of the league title we blow it, every single year! Anytime we have went on a good run at the end of the season we were out of the title race. We also continously bottle the big games time and time again, I honestky cant recall beating the top teams at least once in the season. This team are a soft soft bunch who lack a bit of fight against the best teams.

It's not just this current team though as it's been a recurring theme over the last number of years. Therefore it points to wenger as the problem. Either it's his insecurities passing down throughout the team or he simply has brought in weak minded players. Either way he has to shoulder the majority of the blame.

I'm hearing a lot of fans talking how a cup win will turn the season around or how it would be the perfect way for wenger to step down but if I'm totally honest I can't see where our performances are going to come from, to beat Wigan let alone win the damn thing.

We'll probably scrape 4th as that's what we're good at but that's getting tediously boring to me now and I don't see what the benefit to the club is other than the bank balance. It's not like we're using the windfall to invest in the squad. Ozil aside our transfer policy is almost as bad as our medical record.

Supporting arsenal lately isn't enjoyable but isn't that what it's supposed to be? It's a sport after all but it's draining my passion one game at a time. The end of this season can't come soon enough and thank god the WC is on in the summer so I can go back to enjoying watching soccer again.

• Advertisement

I am not saying I am over confident but I think the fixture list is favourable for us. We are also seeing some players return for the final push.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

4th could still not be enough, nobody else worried about united in the champions league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

4th could still not be enough, nobody else worried about united in the champions league?

They should be the least of yere worries.

If they beat Bayern, they still have either Barca/Atleti or Real or PSG/Chelsea.

At the moment Utd are the weakest team in it, maybe Dortmund would run them close, theyve a chance to progress to the Semis but i cant see them winning it like we did, its a lot tougher this year than it was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Anything can happen in the Champions League and it looks like they're picking up a bit of form, it may be the least of my worries but i have a bad feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Ramsey back now
    Ozil and kos back after Wigan

Think that's where the confidence comes from I think we will get 4th too

Needless to say I hope the confidence is justified.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wouldn't say I'm confident but I still think we'll scrape 4th due to the run of fixtures, it's the team's speciality at his stage sure.

This was the first season I've ever wanted United to beat Liverpool and now it will also be the first season I've ever wanted United to beat Everton. Think about that for a minute, do this team not realise what they are putting us through? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So if we do get fourth what makes people think we will improve the squad for next season?
    We have been here before many times and ended up with the same strength of squad or even a weaker squad.
    Things have not changed before and are unlikely to change next season either.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So if we do get fourth what makes people think we will improve the squad for next season?
    We have been here before many times and ended up with the same strength of squad or even a weaker squad.

I'm hoping the Ozil move wasn't a flash in the pan and signals intent for the future. I also genuinely feel Wenger won't stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

A because this season Wenger has started to speak about the increased funds available to him

B because at the end of the last Summer transfer window we broke our record transfer fee by a factor of 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Anything can happen in the Champions League and it looks like they're picking up a bit of form, it may be the least of my worries but i have a bad feeling.

We have not got 4th yet, so if they win the CL or not may make no difference to us. If they get past Bayern, a distinct possibility, then they could win it.

Is it true hat if Chelsea win the CL and get top 4 (a given obviously) that 5th place then get's CL football?

• Advertisement

Your right. I think yesterday really was the turning point for a lot of Arsenal fans. What other club would be this patient with there manager? I love Wenger, he has done so many wonderful things for our club, things I will remember forever, but there really does come a time when you have to take off the Arsene tinted glasses and say enough is enough :(

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wouldn't say I'm confident but I still think we'll scrape 4th due to the run of fixtures, it's the team's speciality at his stage sure.

This was the first season I've ever wanted United to beat Liverpool and now it will also be the first season I've ever wanted United to beat Everton. Think about that for a minute, do this team not realise what they are putting us through? :(

Say it nicely and we will beat them for uz :P
    (Going to be a very tough fixture considering how well they beat you yesterday, on the plus side our away form has been excellent of late)

On a side note, fascinating finish to the season for the top 6. Even tonight's match for Spurs could be critical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I have a feeling thus could be Arsene's last season with us. The fact that he had dithered for so long on the signing of the new contract could well be a sign of the internal struggle he is going through as he weighs up whether he has the wherewithal to carry on into his 65th year. Recent results on the pitch will have only added to that struggle.

I am not optimistic of this at all, we had money last year and dallyed on it. TBH we need about 3 good signings I fear we'll get one and some stocking fillers, until we see a good go at it transfer wise my opinion wont change.

greendom wrote: »
    I have a feeling thus could be Arsene's last season with us. The fact that he had dithered for so long on the signing of the new contract could well be a sign of the internal struggle he is going through as he weighs up whether he has the wherewithal to carry on into his 65th year. Recent results on the pitch will have only added to that struggle.

Didn't he say recently that he gave the board his word he would sign a contract and he's not one to go against promises. I don't think he ever deserves to be sacked by us he has done so much for the club to be treated like that, but I find it hard to believe we can offer him a long term contract.

I think this is wengers last season in charge too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it true hat if Chelsea win the CL and get top 4 (a given obviously) that 5th place then get's CL football?

Nope. England have 4 places and its usually the top 4 invited.

3 auto places amd a qualifier that wont change. If Utd win it 4th dont get in and if we win it, it doesnt change at all.

greendom wrote: »

I agree also at the end of the game yesterday he shock Martinez's hand and gave him a little rye smile, it struck me as really odd as usually he heads off in a huff.

I'm not suggesting anything is done there but maybe.........

If you havent seen it you may find it online it was a very strange after game reaction from Wenger as was his interview I just sense he has come to the decision to not sign and will see out the next few games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I think and hope it is to, it won't be easy to say goodbye but the time has come for him to move on.

I just hope the club has a successor lined up and we don't act like we do in transfer Windows. Have a new manager in place lined up ready to go no messing about.

I think and hope it is to, it won't be easy to say goodbye but the time has come for him to move on.

I just hope the club has a successor lined up and we don't act like we do in transfer Windows. Have a new manager in place lined up ready to go no messing about.

New manager and our one new signing announced on aug 31st at 10.59pm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Something that stood out to me is that Sagna was one of the only players who looked like he gave a damn yesterday and yet we're going to let him leave over an extra year on a contract and replace him with Jenkinson.... :(

Frisbee wrote: »
    Something that stood out to me is that Sagna was one of the only players who looked like he gave a damn yesterday and yet we're going to let him leave over an extra year on a contract and replace him with Jenkinson.... :(

A frightening prospect really. Sagna has been immense all season for us. One of the few players that showed leadership. Gas the way Wenger has shown such loyalty to complete failures yet allowed players who are doing their stuff to go.

A frightening prospect really. Sagna has been immense all season for us. One of the few players that showed leadership. Gas the way Wenger has shown such loyalty to complete failures yet allowed players who are doing their stuff to go.

Wenger showed plenty of loyalty to Sagna when he had broken legs.

Maybe Sagna was immense because he wants the team to succeed or maybe he knows the next few games are a shop window for him if clubs like City are sniffying

you just never know with players............

If he is replaced I have no problem with him going

Soups123 wrote: »
    Wenger should plenty of loyalty to Sagna when he had broken legs.

Maybe Sagna immense because he wants the team to succeed or maybe he knows the next few games are a shop window for him if clubs like City are sniffying

you just never know with players............

Fair point although Sagna has always been one of our better players over the years tbf. He could have fúcked off years ago if he wanted.

If he is replaced I have no problem with him going

Thats just it though......as we both well know he wont be.

Thats just it though......as we both well know he wont be.

Ya can't be confident he will be alright

Ya can't be confident he will be alright

I said a few months back id love Seamus Coleman but that's pretty much a pipe dream now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I said a few months back id love Seamus Coleman but that's pretty much a pipe dream now.

Why though. If you get champions league football there is no reason why he would not move to arsenal. He is not going to move to Chelsea or liverpool and I can't see him going foreign.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Why though. If you get champions league football there is no reason why he would not move to arsenal. He is not going to move to Chelsea or liverpool and I can't see him going foreign.

Thats just it. Are we actually going to get CL football after yet another no show yesterday? If Everton finish above us which is now a strong possibility now then why would Coleman go to us?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement