Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    People saying Palace should be easy? There are no easy teams in the Premier League any more. There are some not great teams, but still no easy teams.

I dont believe anyone said easy. My point was I expect Arsenal to beat them at home comfortably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Soups123 wrote: »
    I dont believe anyone said easy. My point was I expect Arsenal to beat them at home comfortably

Beat them comfortably implies easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

if we play the way we are capable of playing we should win comfortably. I like palace and hope they stay up but a team like ours should be beating them. Doesn't always happen, but it should.

We’ve been playing poorly and winning, and then we had a really dreadful performance in the first half vs the Saints, that SHOULD be a low point where the team get themselves together and pull their socks up.
    Fingers crossed.
    If city take a lead points-wise I don’t think we will be able to catch them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not necessarily. Some of our two nil wins have been comfortable, without being easy. Slight difference to me.

Anyway, just got a ticket to the Bayern Munich game. COYG!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We are 100% expected to beat a team like Palace at home by everybody, I personally think it will be comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I think its about time we steam rolled a team to put our mark on the league again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I can safely say I'm not expecting much from Palace.
    We've played better teams that have parked the bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If Rosicky and Wilshere are not available for Sunday I think Ox should be played in central midfield. We were really missing a spark against Southampton and a major part of that was having neither of those or Ramsey on the pitch. I don't know if Ox would be up for such a crucial role as he is only just back, but he's definitely capable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

If we just play in Wenger's anomaly without hand-brake, that should be enough to beat CP.

on a side note CP just confirmed they've signed Thomas Ince on loan, haven't seen much of him. Is he any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

If we just play in Wenger's anomaly without hand-brake, that should be enough to beat CP.

on a side note CP just confirmed they've signed Thomas Ince on loan, haven't seen much of him. Is he any good?

Really? he was ready to sign with Monaco last week apparently. I've not seen enough of him to judge.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Happy Chinese new year!

Sometimes you really can't help loving Podolski.

The Father Ted references continue. Maybe Pod will give us a rendition of 'My lovely horse running through the field'.... :D

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Really? he was ready to sign with Monaco last week apparently. I've not seen enough of him to judge.

I think it was more a case of Paul Ince brandishing him every where.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I can safely say I'm not expecting much from Palace.
    We've played better teams that have parked the bus.

The key i think is to have quicker delivery and build up. Rush Palace into rashness and batter them when the space opens up. If we start at 1mph which were tending to do so on occasion this season then the most we can hope for is another lastminute.com like against Cardiff on New Years day. Palace did cause City alot of problems but its up to Wilshere and co to take this game by the scruff of the neck early and put it to bed.

Huge huge opportunity to put the squeeze on both City and Chelsea here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

greendom wrote: »
    If Rosicky and Wilshere are not available for Sunday I think Ox should be played in central midfield. We were really missing a spark against Southampton and a major part of that was having neither of those or Ramsey on the pitch. I don't know if Ox would be up for such a crucial role as he is only just back, but he's definitely capable of it.

Don't think there's any other option than Arteta and Ox in the middle really. Flamini, Ramsey, Wilshere, Diaby, Rosicky all out.

Would like to see a line of Pod-Ozil-Cazorla in front of those two to complete the midfield five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Don't think there's any other option than Arteta and Ox in the middle really. Flamini, Ramsey, Wilshere, Diaby, Rosicky all out.

Would like to see a line of Pod-Ozil-Cazorla in front of those two to complete the midfield five.

Almost guaranteed to be Gnabry, Wenger giving him game time recently. Can see Podolski getting frustrated soon, doubt he's ever played a full game for us

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Talk of the united match being re-scheduled due to a tube strike? Only seen it on reddit so not sure if it's true or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

TheGunns wrote: »
    Almost guaranteed to be Gnabry, Wenger giving him game time recently. Can see Podolski getting frustrated soon, doubt he's ever played a full game for us

You might be right, but I'd rather Pod get the first 60 and then bring Gnabry on to inject a bit of pace against weary legs. Pod more likely to get a 1st half goal or two if he starts anything like he did against Coventry or how he played when he came on in the previous game with Fulham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/30/arsenal-blow-julian-draxler-schalke-move-ruled-out?CMP=twt_gu
    Arsenal have suffered a major blow in their attempts to sign Julian Draxler, after Schalke sporting director Horst Heldt insisted the club have no intention of selling the midfielder.

Heldt said he was "convinced" the highly rated 20-year-old Germany international would be staying at the club - both in January and beyond the summer.

"We are happy to have such a world class player in our lines. I am very convinced that Draxler will be playing for us in the Rueckrunde [second half of the season] but most probably beyond that," he said at a news conference on Thursday. "We are not interested in letting Julian leave, and he has also not approached us about a transfer."

Arsenal sent their chief transfer negotiator Dick Law to Gelsenkirchen in an attempt to agree a deal but Heldt added: "I checked my office if someone was waiting for me, but nobody was there.

"Of course, there are always other clubs interested in him, and should someone make a serious offer for him, then we as a club have to professionally consider that. That does not only apply to Julian Draxler, but to every other player."

It had been widely reported thta Draxler has a £37m buy-out clause in his contract, and while Arsenal do not value the player at that price, the club remain hopeful that a lower figure can be agreed if not in January then possibly in the summer.

However, Heldt insisted Schalke can set the price at whatever they like."That agreement was only in place for last year, from now on the transfer fee is up for negotiation," he added.

Can't see it happening now, he'd look like a fool if Draxler left tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Is Mozart definitely out??

If so, then I agree with your lineup but I guess Gnabry is only realistic option

Was supposed to quote this..
    Originally Posted by 2ndcoming View Post

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Talk of the united match being re-scheduled due to a tube strike? Only seen it on reddit so not sure if it's true or not.

Talk of this happening for a while now, can't see it happening as people will have booked trains/etc.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Talk of this happening for a while now, can't see it happening as people will have booked trains/etc.

Would be happy to see it pushed back.

Get Ramsey and Flamini back maybe..... They have their key players all available now it seems. Front 3 anyway.

AdamD wrote: »
    "Of course, there are always other clubs interested in him, and should someone make a serious offer for him, then we as a club have to professionally consider that. That does not only apply to Julian Draxler, but to every other player

It could be all they want is more than 30 mil which we have been offered it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/30/arsenal-blow-julian-draxler-schalke-move-ruled-out?CMP=twt_gu

Could just be part of the bargaining process ? Still 30 hours left so I won't be giving up hope just yet. Doesn't sound promising though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Can still him signing myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know who Flamini is sponsored by? His boots are complete blackouts any time ive noticed them, very unusual these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

wonga77 wrote: »
    On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know who Flamini is sponsored by? His boots are complete blackouts any time ive noticed them, very unusual these days...

I heard he cuts off the logo before every game.

wonga77 wrote: »

He wears all black Nike Tiempo's.
    11513_3_max.jpg

He has simple tastes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,424 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There isn't a hope in Hell of us getting Draxler in this window.
    Stop codding yourselves lads.

Would anyone else be happy with just Berbatov at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

its so frustrating being a gooner in a transfer window :(

bad2dabone wrote: »
    its so frustrating being a gooner in a transfer window :(

Look on the bright side..... we can be back top of the table on Sunday :D

Better to be top and frustrated then fourth or fifth and frustrated

Mickeroo wrote: »
    What did Allardyce say? I have no sound where I am.

Allardyce, unsurprisingly, took great pleasure in Mourinho's frustrations, insisting they proved the success of his plan. “He can't take it can he,” Allardyce laughed when told of Mourinho's complaints. “He can't take him because we've out-tacticed him, out-witted him. He just can't cope. He can tell me all he wants.”

Did Allardyce mind about upsetting Mourinho? “I don't give a ****e, to be honest. I love to see Chelsea players moaning at the referee, trying to intimidate him, Jose jumping up and down in his technical area. It's great to see.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Did you think the same about Ozil?

Not that Draxler is as good as Ozil, obviously.

Did you think the same about Ozil?

Not that Draxler is as good as Ozil, obviously.

Ozil was a seasoned pro.
    Draxler is a 20 year old with nearly as high a price.
    Wenger will bid much lower than the asking price and then bow out.
    Besides it is a WC year and Draxler will want stability.

I heard a cat crying outside my window earlier, I looked outside and saw 3 men wearing Tottenham Hotspur shirts playing football with it.

I was just about to ring the Gardai and I.S.P.C.A. when the cat went 1-0 up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Soups123 wrote: »

Fair enough, I hope it's comfortable but I sense it's a game that's been treated as a gimme when it's far from it. Anything less than 3 points would be a disaster.

I still think Draxler is going to sign. That Schalke fella is just mouthing off to force Arsenal into getting a deal together.

here's a picture of Arsene laughing

wenger.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

I still think Draxler is going to sign. That Schalke fella is just mouthing off to force Arsenal into getting a deal together.

here's a picture of Arsene laughing

wenger.jpg

I love and hate that smile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 30s
    Arsenal not signing Draxler. Was interest but AW unwilling to meet #Schalke asking price. Only #afc deal may be a loan arrival #bbcfootball
    Expand

That's that then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Arsenal not signing Draxler. Was interest but AW unwilling to meet #Schalke asking price. Only #afc deal may be a loan arrival #bbcfootball
    Expand

That's that then

any hope for a title is gone there in my opinion, absolutely ridiculous if true

• Advertisement

I'd be lying if I said i'm not pissed off! :mad:

our squad wont be able to make it until the end of the season, you cant put a price on the value a draxler would have brought to us in the run in. incredibley poor decision from wenger and the club.

^^^^^ Its annoying but Arsene is never going to sign a player just for the sake of it. He has a history of biding his time and waiting. One that springs to mind would be Chamack. Which in hindsight was a blessing. Imagine playing 10 mill for that crock of sh*te?

Reference Flamini's tackle/red card the other night and two footed tackles in general.

Would Thierry have been sent off for the above tackle if he committed it in this day and age?

I know Flamini's tackle was towards a player and could have injured someone but I think refs are overly punishing players for such tackles nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Expand

That's that then

Ugh. Fcuk sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

You only pursue Draxler in January if you want to pay his release clause now. Simple as that really. Schalke would've been foolish to accept less.

Well lads, it was fun while it lasted.

(PROVE ME WRONG, ARSENAL! PROVE ME WRONG!)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I shall wait till 11 tomorrow

But failure to act will be a shambles

Nothing going to change lads.
    No cavalry coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

You only pursue Draxler in January if you want to pay his release clause now. Simple as that really. Schalke would've been foolish to accept less.

Yes. I think it's silly thinking you can get him at a low ball figure.

Building a team of world class players is going to sting our pockets a little but we have the funds to do it so why not.

needed a boost after theo and ramsey went down, if no one comes in its a disgrace imo

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement