Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Thats just it. Are we actually going to get CL football after yet another no show yesterday? If Everton finish above us which is now a strong possibility now then why would Coleman go to us?

Everton have a tough run in. The money would attract him I'm sure plus arsenal are a massive club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I think it was tayto here saying a few weeks ago that left back was a problem and i thought to myself that he was wrong but he isnt. Both are average at best, once is injury prone while the other is too slow to deal with any bit of pace. Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana and Morgan Scneiderlin would be the answers to our problems. Throw 70 million at them, sign Sagna up, backup goalie, get a cheap young cb, Let one of the two left backs go, loan jenko out and maybe off load podolski/cazorla leaving 30-40 million to throw at a striker or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Raf32 wrote: »
    I think it was tayto here saying a few weeks ago that left back was a problem and i thought to myself that he was wrong but he isnt. Both are average at best, once is injury prone while the other is too slow to deal with any bit of pace. Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana and Morgan Scneiderlin would be the answers to our problems. Throw 70 million at them, sign Sagna up, backup goalie, get a cheap young cb, Let one of the two left backs go, loan jenko out and maybe off load podolski/cazorla leaving 30-40 million to throw at a striker or two.

Lallana has no place in our team IMO, we're stacked in attacking midfield already. The other two I agree with, although I'd rather we try for Bender first and then if that falls through Schneiderlinn.

Above all, I want to see money spent and at least three real players brought in, with a striker our top priority. The fullback situation is also a bit desperate and as much as I like Sagna I think he's going to leave so something needs to be done there.

I think Cazorla would fit nicely as a backup to Ozil and Fabianski is a good backup keeper to have. We have plenty of money in the bank so we shouldn't need to compromise our already thin squad to bring in players.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Since we're on the subject of southampton, I think Jay Rodriguez would be a decent option up front if the world class 50m forward we all want doesn't materialise.

Lallana has no place in our team IMO, we're stacked in attacking midfield already. The other two I agree with, although I'd rather we try for Bender first and then if that falls through Schneiderlinn.

Above all, I want to see money spent and at least three real players brought in, with a striker our top priority. The fullback situation is also a bit desperate and as much as I like Sagna I think he's going to leave so something needs to be done there.

As it stands right now for next season our squad is/should be

Scz

???

???

???
    Kos
    Per
    Gibbs
    Jenko
    TV5
    ???
    Monreal

Ramsey
    Arteta

Wilshere
    Flamini

Diaby

Ozil

Santi

Rosicky

Walcott
    Giroud
    Podolski
    Ox
    Yaya
    Campbell

Thats a serious amount of holes to fill. The backline needs repairing. Even if Sagna stays i think they need to add at least another defender. Defo need to add at least one backup goalkeeper. Im afraid he will look at the midfield and see so much numbers he will think he is ok there because he hates standing in the way of a players progression. Upfront is terrible looking too.

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Since we're on the subject of southampton, I think Jay Rodriguez would be a decent option up front if the world class 50m forward we all want doesn't materialise.

Yup i would buy him and Remy for 35 million or so and we are sorted up top.

• Mickeroo wrote: »

Slightly off-topic is he out for the rest of season?

Awful fall on his leg at the weekend.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Everton have a tough run in. The money would attract him I'm sure plus arsenal are a massive club.

We seem to be a bank or a trust fund masquerading as a football club these times.

Nine years without a trophy is scandalous and could be ten yet. The Birmingham fúck up of 2011 still lingers in the memory

As good as those guys are I personally think we should aim a bit higher initially. My preferred choice would be Balotelli but I understand that he seems to divide opinion. Costa also falls into that bracket and maybe Jackson Martinez as well. If these all fail (which they shouldn't) then we can go for those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Wouldn't that be settling for more above average players though? We should be aiming higher than that, especially at striker.

• Advertisement

As good as those guys are I personally think we should aim a bit higher initially. My preferred choice would be Balotelli but I understand that he seems to divide opinion. Costa also falls into that bracket and maybe Jackson Martinez as well. If these all fail (which they shouldn't) then we can go for those two.

Would love Costa but get the feeling he is nailed on to go to Chelsea. Mario would be brilliant and would love to get him. I would actually take the other two over Jackson though, I think it wouldnt do any harm to raid southampton this summer, good young english players is what we need.

Wouldn't that be settling for more above average players though? We should be aiming higher than that, especially at striker.

Remy offers something different and i would really rate J-Rod actually

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic is he out for the rest of season?

Awful fall on his leg at the weekend.

Didn't realise it was that bad, off to my fantasy team I go.

Re Balotelli, I would love him. More of a proven goalscorer than anyone else available too imo.

• Mickeroo wrote: »
    Didn't realise it was that bad, off to my fantasy team I go.

Re Balotelli, I would love him. More of a proven goalscorer than anyone else available too imo.

Surprised there has been nothing from SSN on this yet, he went off on a stretcher in considerable pain.
    In fairness he was really good against city up until this point.

The annoying thing is we cant even be working on deals because wenger doesnt know if he will be there next year. Its already hard enough being a world cup year.

Let me put it this way, I would be utterly shocked if we had Giroud as our starting striker in our first PL game next season. There is just no way in hell we can keep him. Not that I dislike him or anything but he is the exact type of player that doesn't fit our system. We don't need a sixth midfielder playing tiki-taka, we need someone who can make runs and finish.

I'm confident deals will be made, I just hope Wenger gives the board a list of players and tells them "this is who I want, you figure it out" ala Fergie or Mourinho rather than pinching pennies like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The annoying thing is we cant even be working on deals because wenger doesnt know if he will be there next year. Its already hard enough being a world cup year.

For all we no he could be working on deals cause he knows he is staying

Or we're working on another manager cause he said he is going

Let me put it this way, I would be utterly shocked if we had Giroud as our starting striker in our first PL game next season. There is just no way in hell we can keep him. Not that I dislike him or anything but he is the exact type of player that doesn't fit our system. We don't need a sixth midfielder playing tiki-taka, we need someone who can make runs and finish.

If we sign no one Theo has to go up top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Id like de boer and bergkamp as his assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

If we sign no one Theo has to go up top.

If we start next season and this is a possibility I give up!

I really fear wrapping up 4th and winning the FA Cup will show progress to the club and they'll back the squad again with only one decent addition

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    If we start next season and this is a possibility I give up!

I really fear wrapping up 4th and winning the FA Cup will show progress to the club and they'll back the squad again with only one decent addition

yup beginning to think 5th is the only way to force action and get the necessary players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Id like de boer and bergkamp as his assistant

I have a bet from about a year ago on bergkamp being our next manager :D :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

yup beginning to think 5th is the only way to force action and get the necessary players

With our board? I would say the opposite would be true.

I'd say we are going to need a lot of players for next year. For a start we need at least one backup keeper.

Sagna might go, but last I heard Vermalen is definitely going so need to replace him, and an alternative to Monreal might be needed.

As far as I am concerned, Arteta should not be starting any more games, especially big ones. Not a bad squad player but shouldn't be first choice anymore.

Kallstrom is gone again I think and the way Wilshere is at the moment we probably need a backup for him.

Finally we definitely need a striker. I like Giroud and defend him constantly but have always admitted we need better. Giroud could have done it for us this year I'd say but the lack of an alternative killed us and him. He has played the 3rd most amount of minutes for us and I'd say probably is one of players who gets around most on the pitch looking for a pass. Add the two together and it easy to see why is form is so bad at the moment. We either need to move Giroud to the bench or else revert to a 4-4-2 and bring some top quality in along side him.

So that's 1 goalkeeper, 1 centre back, 1 left or right back, 1 defensive midfielder, 1 center midfielder and a striker. If we finish 5th there is no chance of getting all those players and even finishing 4th I'd say we would be lucky to cover those leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Only posting now because I am still livid over yesterday. Finding my rear car door bashed in as well really capped the day off for me.

If we didn't have key injury problems this season could have progressed in a lot more positive fashion. I firmly believe Giroud needs some one like Walcott feeding him. Without this type of player to stretch the back line he is too easy to defend against.

However injuries are a reality of contact sport and something a manager should mitigate against. Walcott was injured last year and given the injury he had we needed to bring in someone of similar pace and skillsets. This was failure number one, the second failure was to bring in an option B in the striker department. Failure to address these areas have cost us dearly since the January window closed.

I know some have said that we also needed cover in defense but I firmly believe if we had pace up front a lot of the results that have gone against us could have been different. Teams can push up against us and defend highly because we have no threat pace wise to punish them. Our front line operates at the speed of an amoeba on prozac.

Unfortunately the buck stops with Wenger, any other manager who capitulated a position like ours would probably be facing a vote of confidence by now. Finishing fifth or further back would be an absolute disaster especially considering we were in contention for the premiership and imho this season was our best chance in years to achieve that. If Wenger stays then the board have to separate him from the buying of new players. A David Dein like character to take care of the commercials is desperately needed because it is obvious that Wenger with his transfer dealings has not moved with the times.

Personally I believe Wenger may call it a day at the end of this season and while it will be a sad day unfortunately I believe the performance in 2014 justifies it.

It used to be a 50/50 thing with arsenal fans after a disappointing season, looks like the majority now want wenger to leave than be sacked, and that is honourable for a club like ours,
    I really hope Wenger calls it a day, another 2 or 3 seasons of this and the fondness for him will have left most supporters completely.
    The man has done some amazing things for the club, and unless he wants to work on the brand upstairs, then he will only destroy his own legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

It'll will be such a shame if/when he does leave at the end of the season not on a high, im not talking about the fa cup or 4th, he deserves better than that.

Team for sat for me would be
    Fab
    Sagna
    Per
    Tv5
    Gibbs
    Arteta----Ramsey

Santi
    Ox
    Podolski
    Gnabry

Need pace badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

So if we do get fourth what makes people think we will improve the squad for next season?
    We have been here before many times and ended up with the same strength of squad or even a weaker squad.
    Things have not changed before and are unlikely to change next season either.

Unless you change a manager??

Team for sat for me would be
    Fab
    Sagna
    Per
    Tv5
    Gibbs
    Arteta----Ramsey

Santi
    Ox
    Podolski
    Gnabry

Need pace badly

No Arteta please.

• Advertisement

No Arteta please.

Has to be, flamini is suspended

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Unless you change a manager??

I dont think it will be that easy, the whole club is in shambles from top to bottom.

I'd almost rather Kallstrom be given a crack at it, but I suppose the Ramsey Artekkers axis worked before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Time for Kallstrom to come and knock in a hat trick of free kicks.:pac:

I'd almost rather Kallstrom be given a crack at it, but I suppose the Ramsey Artekkers axis worked before.
    Time for Kallstrom to come and knock in a hat trick of free kicks.:pac:

And then City sign him for 30 million and we all complain how we missed out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I dont think it will be that easy, the whole club is in shambles from top to bottom.

Yeah i think Wenger's time is up but i dont trust the board to pick the right man given their track record

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    Yeah i think Wenger's time is up but i dont trust the board to pick the right man given their track record

Not just that, i'd say Wenger would have some input anyway, but i think they're happy we underachieve as long as we produce profit, see they're upping the price of tickets by 3 or 4 percent next season. Ridiculous. Theres all this talk of this big cash reserve we got, why isnt it being spent? I know Wenger has been bogey with tactics and that but i honestly don't think our dire transfer activity is his fault.

I think thats an over exageration. The club is in need of change but structural, organisationally, financially etc. it is in excellent condition. A manager with a tactical approach, money to spend and some freshness will go along way.

Who ever takes over from Arsene will be given a grear opportunity to build something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I know we are all hurting here but come on man that is so not even close to the truth.

I think thats an over exageration. The club is in need of change but structural, organisationally, financially etc. it is in excellent condition. A manager with a tactical approach, money to spend and some freshness will go along way.

Who ever takes over from Arsene will be given a grear opportunity to build something special.

Maybe i'm over exagerating a bit, and i dont really want to go into the problems again as id say people are sick of hearing them, but injuries, ticket prices and transfer activity is in shambles.

Maybe i'm over exagerating a bit, and i dont really want to go into the problems again as id say people are sick of them, but injuries, ticket prices and transfer activity is in shambles.

if the club performs none of what is in bold matters!

This club is on the verge of being everything bar the on the pitch results in in place. A new manager, new signings and tactical approach(i really cant over state how big a problem this is with Arsene) and its onto another level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think what annoyed me the most yesterday was the fact that Ramsey was thrown on after just 2 days training following a 4 month injury lay off. And for what? At 3-0 down, there was nothing he could do except maybe suffer a setback. It's actually disgraceful when you think about it. I don't think he should have been anywhere near the bench until next weekend. But yet again, players are being rushed back from injury due to the lack of squad depth. Same crap, different season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

I think what annoyed me the most yesterday was the fact that Ramsey was thrown on after just 2 days training following a 4 month injury lay off. And for what? At 3-0 down, there was nothing he could do except maybe suffer a setback. It's actually disgraceful when you think about it. I don't think he should have been anywhere near the bench until next weekend. But yet again, players are being rushed back from injury due to the lack of squad depth. Same crap, different season.

It was better for him to get some game time so that he can potentially start against Wigan.

I think it was with Wigan in mind as he knows we need him. He may have been told to go on, get a feel for it, dont over do it etc. that is better than going in raw next week.

In fairness he also showed climpses of what we are missing in his short. He would have been put through his paces in advance and the hammer was obviously holding up well, being 3 down and coming on to play out the game is just as good as coming on when 3 up!

This thread is nearly no more :)

Paleface wrote: »
    It was better for him to get some game time so that he can potentially start against Wigan.

I'm no expert but would it not be better for him physically to have a good week's training under his belt, start on the bench against Wigan and then start the West Ham game?

I think it was with Wigan in mind as he knows we need him. He may have been told to go on, get a feel for it, dont over do it etc. that is better than going in raw next week.

In fairness he also showed climpses of what we are missing in his short. He would have been put through his paces in advance and the hammer was obviously holding up well, being 3 down and coming on to play out the game is just as good as coming on when 3 up!

I see what you're saying alright, I'm just fed up of our injury problems at this stage. He definitely looked like he's going to ease straight back into his great form which is heartening :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Would love Costa but get the feeling he is nailed on to go to Chelsea. Mario would be brilliant and would love to get him. I would actually take the other two over Jackson though, I think it wouldnt do any harm to raid southampton this summer, good young english players is what we need.

Why cant we hijack the Costa deal, be the bad guys for a change? instead of pussyfooting about a signing, go in get the fcuking job done and lay down a marker by standing up for ourselves in the transfer market

wonga77 wrote: »
    Why cant we hijack the Costa deal, be the bad guys for a change? instead of pussyfooting about a signing, go in get the fcuking job done and lay down a marker by standing up for ourselves in the transfer market

Jorge Mendez is his and Mourinhos agent, chelsea will have him if they pay the price which they will. Wenger and Mendez dont get on at all either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

I'm no expert but would it not be better for him physically to have a good week's training under his belt, start on the bench against Wigan and then start the West Ham game?

I'm no expert either but game time is crucial in any players return to full fitness.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Wenger and Mendez dont get on at all either.
    Shouldn't be an issue soon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement