Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just sounds like another reason to have a go at Wenger.

Would it not be a better reason to bash mourinho and pelligriani seems the money they have at their disposal.

Another idiot just jumping on the bash Wenger train.

Maybe so but truth be told if Rodger does win it at Liverpool it's reason to have a go at all three for different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Maybe so but truth be told if Rodger does win it at Liverpool it's reason to have a go at all three for different reasons.

Exactly. But saying Wenger is the biggest looser if it happens is just more hyperbole ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

It could also be the type of player he brings into the club.
    Years ago rival fans would always say " when you play Arsenal you know you're in a fight" because of our never say die attitude. You'd be bruised and battered.

It's far from that now.

Like when we rolled over 6-1 and 4-0 to United among others when we had players like Viera, Petit, Parlour, Henry, Bergkamp, Seaman, etc on the pitch??

Lets not be overly selective - we have had many a rollover in the good days and we can't gloss over that either.

The standard of player has been lower no doubt. They have been bargain buys. They have had to be. There is an over riding reason for the mediocrity lads and it's not Wenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Just sounds like another reason to have a go at Wenger.

Would it not be a better reason to bash mourinho and pelligriani seems the money they have at their disposal.

Another idiot just jumping on the bash Wenger train.

Im not bashing wenger, im putting across a theory that I found interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

but you accept that it's even worse for Pelligrini and Mourinho ? - not to mention Moyes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Exactly. But saying Wenger is the biggest looser if it happens is just more hyperbole ****.

Liverpool haven't exactly been cash shy either in the past few years.

Borini, Aspas, Sahin, Alberto, and Moses would suggest that Rodgers gets it wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I like Rodgers

But the big test will come next year with Europe, if he keeps Liverpool competitive while there in the champions league he will have won me over

Like when we rolled over 6-1 and 4-0 to United among others when we had players like Viera, Petit, Parlour, Henry, Bergkamp, Seaman, etc on the pitch??

Lets not be overly selective - we have had many a rollover in the good days and we can't gloss over that either.

The standard of player has been lower no doubt. They have been bargain buys. They have had to be. There is an over riding reason for the mediocrity lads and it's not Wenger.

Bargain buys, but all the player you listed above Vieira, Petit even Henry at the time was somewhat of a bargain buy ;). Parlour, Bergkamp and Seaman were here when he arrived.

Which goes along with my thinking that when he first arrived he brought scouting in the EPL to another level and picked up brilliant players and had an eye for talent.

But the rest of the league copped on started copying Wengers idealisms and then passed him out were as he seems to have stalemated and not moved with the times imo.

Wasn't referring to you, I was talking about the journalist.

lads you are now turning this into a mickey measuring contest when that wasn't my aim at all. I just found the theory interesting. you can disagree without slating rodgers or Liverpool tbh. And although I found the theory interesting, mourinho and pelligrini would be bigger losers imo because of the vasts amount of cash spent this season.

• Advertisement

lads you are now turning this into a mickey measuring contest when that wasn't my aim at all. I just found the theory interesting. you can disagree without slating rodgers or Liverpool tbh. And although I found the theory interesting, mourinho and pelligrini would be bigger losers imo because of the vasts amount of cash spent this season.
    Who slated Rodgers or Liverpool?

Who slated Rodgers or Liverpool?

eh look above, not slating as such but referring to Liverpool next season in europe, his ****e signings and so on.

eh look above, not slating as such but referring to Liverpool next season in europe, his ****e signings and so on.

That poster said they like Rodgers bit will really judge him next season.

Nothing wrong with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I believe we need significant investment. I know this ability is only there from now on and I do think he would spend if he stays. I believe Ozil was bought on that premise. That's why stupid ill informed comments about Wenger refusing to spend and we were loaded is so infuriating:rolleyes:

If he won't spend and can't see it I hope he goes.

why are you so confident on this?
    why has so much money been accumulated, could they not have even spent an extra 10 mil every 3 years?

they bought ozil in the last 24 hours of the transfer window, what did you think of him going the whole summer spending 500k when they had 70mil apparently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

batistuta9 wrote: »
    why are you so confident on this?
    why has so much money been accumulated, could they not have even spent an extra 10 mil every 3 years?

they bought ozil in the last 24 hours of the transfer window, what did you think of him going the whole summer spending 500k when they had 70mil apparently?

Forgetting the chase we had for Suarez and Higuain? You can not accuse him of sitting around doing nothing. He just didnt do it well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Forgetting the chase we had for Suarez and Higuain? You can not accuse him of sitting around doing nothing. He just didnt do it well enough.

The end justifies the means though. We got neither.

Forgetting the chase we had for Suarez and Higuain?

no.

forgetting the forward bought instead or the DM that was targeted.

someone messed up badly, who was it? everyone?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    no.

forgetting the forward bought instead or the DM that was targeted.

someone messed up badly, who was it? everyone?

If your to believe some of the more reliable sources on twitter ( I know) a lot were claiming and there was a lot of anger about it that it was Wenger who messed up who wouldn't allow bids exceed certain amounts wouldnt push a little bit further etc.

If your to believe some of the more reliable sources on twitter ( I know) a lot were claiming and there was a lot of anger about it that it was Wenger who messed up who wouldn't allow bids exceed certain amounts wouldnt push a little bit further etc.

that's the worst thing about it if true, fair enough if they couldn't spend before but if the can and just won't it's something that has to change - whatever or whoevers' the reason

there's a story about dick law showing up at different clubs, making an offer and never being heard from again - take it or leave

also one that the only reason gazidas was running his mouth in the press was to put pressure on wenger to spend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

something very dysfunctional about a chief exec having to put pressure on a manager to spend money.

dunno what to believe at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Giroud and Podolski out, Morata and Mandzukic in? I would be happy with that

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/doubt-over-arsene-wengers-arsenal-3385464

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Christ I'm losing faith AW.

Never thought I'd see the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Raf32 wrote: »
    Giroud and Podolski out, Morata and Mandzukic in? I would be happy with that

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/doubt-over-arsene-wengers-arsenal-3385464

What if they have a first season like Giroud or Ozil? Surely it would be better to keep at least one striker who has scored at least 15 goals per season, for the last two until the new players are settled. If they settle quickly, great we don't have to play Giroud. If they take a season at least we have a proven goal scorer in the squad. There is no harm in keeping him, but getting rid of him with a completely new strike force could hurt us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

farna_boy wrote: »
    What if they have a first season like Giroud or Ozil? Surely it would be better to keep at least one striker who has scored at least 15 goals per season, for the last two until the new players are settled. If they settle quickly, great we don't have to play Giroud. If they take a season at least we have a proven goal scorer in the squad. There is no harm in keeping him, but getting rid of him with a completely new strike force could hurt us.

Agreed i think id rather keep podolski though. What Giroud did with the hotel stuff is unforgivable and i dont think wenger will give him another chance when he doesnt repay him on the field. Ironically enough our season has derailed since this story came out about him. I'm not holding it solely responsible but it was a factor and i dont think ill forgive giroud unless he plays his heart out (which he isnt).

Raf32 wrote: »
    Agreed i think id rather keep podolski though. What Giroud did with the hotel stuff is unforgivable and i dont think wenger will give him another chance when he doesnt repay him on the field. Ironically enough our season has derailed since this story came out about him. I'm not holding it solely responsible but it was a factor and i dont think ill forgive giroud unless he plays his heart out (which he isnt).
    Well he did come to arsenal to score.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

OYvN9iU.png

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Christ I'm losing faith AW.

Never thought I'd see the day.

I think yesterday was the breaking point for most of us. Cant recall so many posters coming on and hinting that maybe its time for the boss to go. Very sad but I think he's made his bed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Injuries.

A fit Ramsey and Walcott for the season and we'd still be in it, if not top. Özil would have helped too but those two were vital to our team.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Injuries.

A fit Ramsey and Walcott for the season and we'd still be in it, if not top. Özil would have helped too but those two were vital to our team.

Not replacing them injuries (knowing they'd be out for the rest of/most the season) in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

As much as it pains me to say it, I think he would be spot on.

Yes but what Liverpool are on the cusp of doing is unprecedented and will go down as one of the PL's greatest achievements.

It's not necessarily down to Wenger to match that cause, well, no one has.

It's like saying Fergie never went unbeaten or Wenger never won a treble.

Arsenal goals have to be based on Arsenal.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Yes but what Liverpool are on the cusp of doing is unprecedented and will go down as one of the PL's greatest achievements.

And the goal at arsenal seems to be, high ticket prices, large profits and a manager who is answerable to no one when he makes questionable decisions tactically & believes his squad don't need backup players or real leaders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    OYvN9iU.png

Saw this somewhere else and someone posted a graph correlating to the same fixture layout last year. We would have spent very little time at the top of the table if we had the same fixture run as last year, so the amount of days we spent at the top this year is more down to a favorable fixture list than anything else.

jester77 wrote: »
    Saw this somewhere else and someone posted a graph correlating to the same fixture layout last year. We would have spent very little time at the top of the table if we had the same fixture run as last year, so the amount of days we spent at the top this year is more down to a favorable fixture list than anything else.
    I enjoyed every minute of it though!

We all had a party, but were paying for it now, didn't I hear that somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

And the goal at arsenal seems to be, high ticket prices, large profits and a manager who is answerable to no one when he makes questionable decisions tactically & believes his squad don't need backup players or real leaders.

The goal should be to move the team forward.

As I see it, that means that to progress again, we need to

Sign some really good players that cost a lot and figure out what is happening with injuries.

If Wenger is going to approach those as essential, then I'd like to see him stay

Sign some really good players that cost a lot and figure out what is happening with injuries.

If Wenger is going to approach those as essential, then I'd like to see him stay

I cant see him addressing the issues tbh. Brace yourselves for another 90 days of being linked with every player in the world only to sign another piss poor French kid on a free at the end of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Unprecedented in what way? It's not like Liverpool aren't big spenders as so many believe. Also wenger won the EPL in his second season (double actually). I agree with the arsenal goals bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

For me that is not enough, the game has evolved tactically and Wenger needs to address this, I cannot remember the last time we approach a game with tactical consideration for the opposition.

Even in the games that went pete tong, at no point during those games was there a noticable change in tactic. Any team coming to play us knows exactly what to expect we dont adapt at all.

Some of that is down to player recruitment because to be honest so many of the players and there back up are similar.

If the board says there is money and it is spendible and Wenger is the hold back he should be removed from involvement. He should provide a list of who he wants and step back. He wants to scount, haggle transfer, haggle wages etc. etc, too involved.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Soups123 wrote: »
    Even in the games that went pete tong, at no point during those games was there a noticable change in tactic. Any team coming to play us knows exactly what to expect we dont adapt at all.

Ah come on now, we both know that's not true. Once Liverpool and Chelsea put five and six past us, then they changed their tactics to sit back and soak us up...........

Does anyone think that when Arsene does leave (whether this Summer or later) that the club will change the management structure at all ?

AW seems to have so much responsibility for so many different areas that the new man will not want to or be able to take it all on.

I imagine at the very least that there will be a new board member with responsibility for buying players at board level.

The whole change process is going to be huge and it worries me that if Arsene does decide to pack his bags in May, there won't be much time to plan and carry out the required changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wenger needs to be replaced because tactically he is not getting the best from the players.

In terms of buying players we are still trying to replace Dein.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wenger needs to be replaced because tactically he is not getting the best from the players.

In terms of buying players we are still trying to replace Dein.

yes both of those are true. The thing is though, Arsene has been with the club for so long, that we are in virtually a unique position apart from Man Utd. Other clubs change their managers every couple of years and this process is firmly embedded in their operations. We have not changed manager in the modern era and so very careful planning will be required. I don't think this can be done over a couple of months.

For all we know the process could have been started months ago, sure could even be the reason why there was no big money signings in January.

But this being Arsenal probably not and well just make a cluster fcuk of it.

greendom wrote: »
    yes both of those are true. The thing is though, Arsene has been with the club for so long, that we are in virtually a unique position apart from Man Utd. Other clubs change their managers every couple of years and this process is firmly embedded in their operations. We have not changed manager in the modern era and so very careful planning will be required. I don't think this can be done over a couple of months.

Exactly, its going to take time, we'll be in a major transition. But if he does leave, hopefully the new manager can make the same sort of impact that martinez has done to Everton after Moyes's long rein. Obviously not 4th being the priority but taking the club forward.

greendom wrote: »
    Does anyone think that when Arsene does leave (whether this Summer or later) that the club will change the management structure at all ?

AW seems to have so much responsibility for so many different areas that the new man will not want to or be able to take it all on.

I imagine at the very least that there will be a new board member with responsibility for buying players at board level.

The whole change process is going to be huge and it worries me that if Arsene does decide to pack his bags in May, there won't be much time to plan and carry out the required changes.

This is true and the amount of players that could leave and need to be replaced will make it very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I reckon we will so a utd an drop off for a season it two

Another thing i cant stop thinking about is Wengers lack of fight anymore, the way he didnt get in a striker or replacements for injuries in January, when the entire world can see we needed signings, like, he cant be that stubborn or stupid, would the board be holding out, this making Wenger frustrated, losing confidence and desire, is he just fed up with the people up stairs, with the actions of the board causing a ripple effect. I'm just worried that changing the manager will do fcuk all if we dont make changes to the board.

Another thing i cant stop thinking about is Wengers lack of fight anymore, the way he didnt get in a striker or replacements for injuries in January, when the entire world can see we needed signings, like, he cant be that stubborn or stupid, would the board be holding out, this making Wenger frustrated, losing confidence and desire, is he just fed up with the people up stairs, with the actions of the board causing a ripple effect. I'm just worried that changing the manager will do fcuk all if we dont make changes to the board.

I personally think he tried to make signings in January, they just didn't come off for whatever reason (apart from 1 crock of course) There were a number of forwards we went for - Vucinic, Klose etc and I'm sure he knew as well as anyone that relying on Giroud to go uninjured and to keep his form was a big ask.

As Batistuta already pointed there was an awful lot of talk during the summer that the boards done and said everything they did to put pressure on Wenger which if true is just plain crazy.

One thing is for sure we would find out soon enough if a new manager came in.

Also as fans, as a club we cannot be afraid if change no matter how daunting it may look or seem to be taken out if our comfort zone with a new manager.

As Batistuta already pointed there was an awful lot of talk during the summer that the boards done and said everything they did to put pressure on Wenger which if true is just plain crazy.

One thing is for sure we would find out soon enough if a new manager came in.

Also as fans, as a club we cannot be afraid if change no matter how daunting it may look or seem to be taken out if our comfort zone with a new manager.

Not worried about change itself, just that it is managed properly and the club doesn't suffer on the pitch if it isn't.

• Advertisement

All i know is you never know what to believe anymore. Always feels like we're just getting a small part of the story with us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement