Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

greendom wrote: »
    I personally think he tried to make signings in January, they just didn't come off for whatever reason (apart from 1 crock of course) There were a number of forwards we went for - Vucinic, Klose etc and I'm sure he knew as well as anyone that relying on Giroud to go uninjured and to keep his form was a big ask.

Just thinking of it now he did appear to go for players but all in loan deals maybe because there was nothing available or maybe because of things behind the scene and Wenger knowing he wasn't staying.

As Durkin said we never ever feel like we really know what is going on at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    OYvN9iU.png

:(

FFS is that what we're reduced to now?

I compared that previously with a horse leading in the Grand National until 4 fences out and falling because of lack of stamina.

gosplan wrote: »
    The goal should be to move the team forward.

As I see it, that means that to progress again, we need to

Sign some really good players that cost a lot and figure out what is happening with injuries.

If Wenger is going to approach those as essential, then I'd like to see him stay

How do we cover for his lack of tactical nous or his lack of motivational skills though?
    You can't buy them.

So is one result enough to get everyone else to agree we've made little if any progress this season? :pac:

We don't know what's going on in the club, we can only judge based on results and outcomes;
    -Same position in the league (hopefully).
    -Same round of CL.
    -Two rounds further in the FA cup so far.
    -One round earlier in the League Cup.
    -No change in tactics.
    -One signing worth talking about last summer.
    -No signings when we knew about Walcott and Ramsey's injuries.

Something's gotta give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

So is one result enough to get everyone else to agree we've made little if any progress this season? :pac:

We don't know what's going on in the club, we can only judge based on results and outcomes;
    -Same position in the league (hopefully).
    -Same round of CL.
    -Two rounds further in the FA cup so far.
    -One round earlier in the League Cup.
    -No change in tactics.
    -One signing worth talking about last summer.
    -No signings when we knew about Walcott and Ramsey's injuries.

Something's gotta give.

Two. Flamini was certainly worth talking about.

• Advertisement

Two. Flamini was certainly worth talking about.

At the time he wasn't :pac: Point noted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

When's Ozil back?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

When's Ozil back?

West Ham i think, i could be wrong though.

When's Ozil back?

Ozil is a very good player and the type Arsenal needed.
    He will compliment Walcott when both are back but he hasn't lit up the season for me.
    He might next season if we get another good winger and a proper CF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Does anyone think that when Arsene does leave (whether this Summer or later) that the club will change the management structure at all ?

AW seems to have so much responsibility for so many different areas that the new man will not want to or be able to take it all on.

I imagine at the very least that there will be a new board member with responsibility for buying players at board level.

The whole change process is going to be huge and it worries me that if Arsene does decide to pack his bags in May, there won't be much time to plan and carry out the required changes.

This is true and the amount of players that could leave and need to be replaced will make it very tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I read in the Indo earlier that there were some reports on Twitter that AW was verbally and aggressively abused at Liverpool St station after the match on Sunday. If that's true, those fans should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. While AW deserves criticism for the way things have gone, he doesn't deserve personal abuse. Disgraceful. If true of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I read in the Indo earlier that there were some reports on Twitter that AW was verbally and aggressively abused at Liverpool St station after the match on Sunday. If that's true, those fans should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. While AW deserves criticism for the way things have gone, he doesn't deserve personal abuse. Disgraceful. If true of course!

Beginning of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Yes indeed, truly disgusting, if true. Look at the campaign against Moyes too, truly appalling. Every team has it's amalgam of supporters, both good and bad. Wenger does not deserve such disrespect when in a vulnerable position as a private person.

What I fear is free fall to the end of season, as clearly he may be leaving the club, and some of the players do not give a ***k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Beginning of the end.

No you'll always have idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

If we finish fifth and Chelsea win the Champions League will we be in it next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

DenMan wrote: »
    If we finish fifth and Chelsea win the Champions League will we be in it next season?

I had heard that somewhere too but apparently it's not the case at all.

Ozil is a very good player and the type Arsenal needed.
    He will compliment Walcott when both are back but he hasn't lit up the season for me.
    He might next season if we get another good winger and a proper CF.

As much as I find Giroud useful in a similar vein to Chamakh but better finisher, it's a disgrace that he's the only one a player like Ozil should be feeding.
    Whilst it may be considered unrealistic to get a player like Suarez in front of him, can we expect to keep a player like Ozil happy without real quality knocking in his fantastic final balls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

PSG are gonna come big after Arsene now i feel

Wasn't very impressed with Cavani after all the hype. Thought he was fairly run of the mill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Olivier Cavani!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Wasn't very impressed with Cavani after all the hype. Thought he was fairly run of the mill.

He was rubbish in both games to be honest.

In fairness hard to judge a player after one game ;) if that was the case we'd all be experts.

Oe thing that did jump out to me was one chance he missed were ball came from around the half way line and Cavani latched onto it from a run between two Chelsea defenders. When is the last time we saw an Arsenal player do that :(:mad:.

In fairness hard to judge a player after one game ;) if that was the case we'd all be experts.

Oe thing that did jump out to me was one chance he missed were ball came from around the half way line and Cavani latched onto it from a run between two Chelsea defenders. When is the last time we saw an Arsenal player do that :(:mad:.

Yeah I only saw him playing this one game but he didn't impress.

RVP ?

So I suppose when we beat Dortmund in Germanhy, it was because we had the easier fixtures at the time ?

Injuries have destroyed this season for us, more than Wenger tactics, Olivier Giroud or anything else.

Yeah I only saw him playing this one game but he didn't impress.

RVP ?

Ah I know was only saying in a tongue in cheek way :).

Yea probably RVP which is a sad state of affairs. Walcott stretches defences not in the same way Cavani did on that occasion or RVP used to for us. I miss having that kind of player on the pitch :(.

So I suppose when we beat Dortmund in Germanhy, it was because we had the easier fixtures at the time ?

Injuries have destroyed this season for us, more than Wenger tactics, Olivier Giroud or anything else.

I agree with you mostly but what I can't forgive is not strengthening the team in January when we could see the injuries piling up and we had momentum on our side.

Not bringing in another CF or players to cover Ramsey and Walcotts loss which now has us in the predicament were in which were looking at Everton fixtures hoping they loose so we can get 4th again what an anti climax to a season that could have been much more.

Plus tactics are to blame somewhat when we lost those players we didn't adapt to even try play a different way despite loosing all the pace in our team. Or to try close out games we went at Liverpool and Chelsea half asleep and got murdered with no real strategy how to combat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

it was because arsenal were not under pressure and wasnt a game we must win.

The napoli game was a must draw to finish top and guess what happened in that game..

When arsenal HAVE to get a result, 9/10 they dont for the past 8 years

Cavani is being called a flop after those 2 games.
    He had two bad games, he isn't a Torres, Torres had a £50 mil price tag hanging over him whereas Cavani...,,oh bollox wait!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one :mad:

We wouldn't have won the league if Theo, Ramsey, Ozil and all, were fit all season.

Have you forgotten City hammered ous by 6 with all of the above on the field?

I can accept failure. But I can't accept not trying.

Stop making excuses for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

We wouldn't have won the league if Theo, Ramsey, Ozil and all, were fit all season.

They beat us 6-3 scoring two of those goals in the last 3 minutes. They didn't hammer us by 6. It was a competitive game and one we should have drawn back to 3-3 on a couple of occasions.

I can accept mistakes. But I can't accept rubbish and hyperbole.

It shows that wengers trait of deflecting the real reasons for failure have been adopted by the fans, can't blame them he's been doing it for long enough.
    None of the excuses satisfy me for a top 4 club!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

January 13th vs Aston Villa. From the player who can't make any runs and can never take advantage of through balls from the likes of Ozil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Fo8comeVY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'm still raging with Vermaelen for the first goal against Everton. Like WTF was with that! He's a CB and lets a clearly threatening ball just go past him.... Cannot comprehend.

I just saw a Dortmund team destroy the supposed greatest attacking team in Europe. A team that Arsenal managed to beat. The loss of Ramsey Ozil Wilshere as well as Walcott and Chamberlain, who weren't even available in that game has really hurt us. As well as missing out on their brilliance it also means that we have to rely on the same core of players week in and week out tiring them out and making the team predictable. You can call it making excuses if you like, but I'm just statiing facts.

• Advertisement

I just saw a Dortmund team destroy the supposed greatest attacking team in Europe. A team that Arsenal managed to beat. The loss of Ramsey Ozil Wilshere as well as Walcott and Chamberlain, who weren't even available in that game has really hurt us. As well as missing out on their brilliance it also means that we have to rely on the same core of players week in and week out tiring them out and making the team predictable. You can call it making excuses if you like, but I'm just statiing facts.

Madrid didn't even try.

They wiped the floor with them in the first leg.

Facts are every team get's injuries, you don't see Man U fans blaming injuries for there terrible season ( they have had a few )

They are blaming the manager.

Clue :P

farna_boy wrote: »
    January 13th vs Aston Villa. From the player who can't make any runs and can never take advantage of through balls from the likes of Ozil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Fo8comeVY

Congrats :rolleyes:

You managed to find one sorry to break it to ya that goal was the exception to the rule for Giroud, pretty much everyone bar you it seems knows Giroud hasn't got the pace to be playing off the last man in defence or make defence splitting runs.

Madrid didn't even try.

Facts are every team get's injuries, you don't see Man U fans blaming injuries for there terrible season ( they have had a few )

You are one of the worst posters on here, every post is hyperbole as Spanish Johnny said.

Madrid didn't even try.

I'm not saying the manager is blameless. For one thing why did we get so many in the first place. We are well ahead of United in that league as well, anyway.

To lose so many crucial players for such long periods was a fundamental reason why we are falling apart now.

140402.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Top of a table! Over the last decade Arsenal seem to be top of the injury pops every year, but why?

You are one of the worst posters on here, every post is hyperbole as Spanish Johnny said.

Have you a name for me?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Top of a table! Over the last decade Arsenal seem to be top of the injury pops every year, but why?

As simple as, alot of them are injury prone

Out of the 5 main players that were imentioned above.

Ramsey is very injury prone, gets injured every season, broken legs, hamstrings, ankles you name it.

Theo also gets injured every season without fail.

Chamberlain has a load of injuries for a 20 year old.

Wilshire can hardly put 8 games together without getting an injury, seriously injury prone.

All key players.

Hello Arsene maybe bank on them getting injured as they do every season and have decent like for like replacements in the squads.

Awaits what if Suarez got injured or Yaya Toure how would they do.

Suarez is a tank never injured, ditto Yaya.

As simple as, alot of them are injury prone

Out of the 5 main players that were imentioned above.

Ramsey is very injury prone, gets injured every season, broken legs, hamstrings, ankles you name it.

Theo also gets injured every season without fail.

Chamberlain has a load of injuries for a 20 year old.

Wilshire can hardly put 8 games together without getting an injury, seriously injury prone.

All key players.

Hello Arsene maybe bank on them getting injured as they do every season and have decent like for like replacements in the squads.

Awaits what if Suarez got injured or Yaya Toure how would they do.

Suarez is a tank never injured, ditto Yaya.

Holy jasus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah I hate it when my leg randomly breaks all the time.

Holy jasus

Why didn't Arsene read the scouting report 'Is prone to broken legs'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Jaysis we must be in a serious mess when Bam Bam Mickey is back posting in here.

Why didn't Arsene read the scouting report 'Is prone to broken legs'

Joke all you want.

Those 4 listed will never make it a full season injury free.

They can't be depended upon!

When they are this **** happens.

1384153723788_1384153723788_r.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Congrats :rolleyes:

You managed to find one sorry to break it to ya that goal was the exception to the rule for Giroud, pretty much everyone bar you it seems knows Giroud hasn't got the pace to be playing off the last man in defence or make defence splitting runs.

I provided one example because you asked when was the last time it happened.

To be honest, I'm getting sick of this thread at the moment. I don't know how many times I have said that we need an improvement on Giroud.

I also don't know how many times I have backed up my statements with facts and stats to prove a point, only for them to be dismissed because the poster doesn't want to/can't admit they were wrong i.e. vs Man City, I showed Giroud, who is not as good as Suarez, got 8 ****ing passes for the whole match in the final third vs Suarez who got 23, but Giroud is somehow supposed to do better than Suarez with ****ty service.

Maybe I should just make sweeping generalisations instead of trying to find reasons why the team is playing badly. Do you think that would add to the thread? There are a few good posters on here who actually put a bit of thought into what they type but there is a whole pile of **** from others you have to wade through to get to it.

Maybe I should just start whinging that none of our players are any good or that it is all Giroud's or Wenger's fault or how it was all Ramsey's fault last season or whatever bandwagon it is at the moment.

Is that what you want to read, because I ****ing don't and I'm getting tired of reading rehashed, simple and lazy ideas that are just repeated from MOTD or other clickbate sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

It seems some posters are delighted with our bad run and posting mad in here

Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It seems some posters are delighted with our bad run and posting mad in here

Ridiculous

Glad people are posting like mad, we need to get out of this thread and into the new one before Tuesday, it's defintely been cursed.

farna_boy wrote: »
    I provided one example because you asked when was the last time it happened.

To be honest, I'm getting sick of this thread at the moment. I don't know how many times I have said that we need an improvement on Giroud.

I also don't know how many times I have backed up my statements with facts and stats to prove a point, only for them to be dismissed because the poster doesn't want to/can't admit they were wrong i.e. vs Man City, I showed Giroud, who is not as good as Suarez, got 8 ****ing passes for the whole match in the final third vs Suarez who got 23, but Giroud is somehow supposed to do better than Suarez with ****ty service.

Maybe I should just make sweeping generalisations instead of trying to find reasons why the team is playing badly. Do you think that would add to the thread? There are a few good posters on here who actually put a bit of thought into what they type but there is a whole pile of **** from others you have to wade through to get to it.

Maybe I should just start whinging that none of our players are any good or that it is all Giroud's or Wenger's fault or how it was all Ramsey's fault last season or whatever bandwagon it is at the moment.

Is that what you want to read, because I ****ing don't and I'm getting tired of reading rehashed, simple and lazy ideas that are just repeated from MOTD or other clickbate sites.

Feel better now after that rant? :p.

Also if you think I'm one the posters who just repeats rubbish from MOTD etc then you really don't read my posts ;) but rant away if it makes yea feel better.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement