Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

FA Cup draw, Arsenal v Liverpool. Home draw at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Chelsea v City in the FA cup. I really think we should be targeting that competition

Arsenal v Liverpool, wow.

Toughest CL group then toughest draw. Chelsea in the league cup, Spurs in the FA cup now Liverpool. We've gotten some awful draws this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

What a load of balls. Gonna be some run of games in March now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Nice draw if we beat pool then they and one of City /Chelsea are out so it gets very winnable

AdamD wrote: »
    Chelsea v City in the FA cup. I really think we should be targeting that competition

Arsenal v Liverpool, wow.

Toughest CL group then toughest draw. Chelsea in the league cup, Spurs in the FA cup now Liverpool. We've gotten some awful draws this year

And doing great in all competition these are good times

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Roddy23 wrote: »

Yea I just commented on that over on the LFc thread.

Wonder will Wenger hold back with the CL Bayern games and we will play you's twice in a week.

Best of luck. May the best team win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Home fixture so I am happy. Can anybody put up our run of tough games coming up, must be the toughest run of games for any club in recent times :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Roddy23 wrote: »

Liverpool, United, Liverpool and Bayern all one after the other over 11 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

March is either going to be a super month to be a Gunner or one downward spiral, I'm going to go with super month.

• Advertisement

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Yea I just commented on that over on the LFc thread.

Wonder will Wenger hold back with the CL Bayern games and we will play you's twice in a week.

Best of luck. May the best team win :)

Hold back? The champions League is a bigger trophy than FA cup if there's any game we should lessen its fa cup at home to pool.

I want all though :)

March is either going to be a super month to be a Gunner or one downward spiral, I'm going to go with super month.

That's the February fixtures. March has Bayern, Spurs, Chelsea and City in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Liverpool (a)
    Man U (h)
    Liverpool (h)
    Bayern (h)
    S'land (h)
    Stoke (a)
    Swansea (h)
    Bayern (a)
    Spurs (a)
    Chelsea (a)
    Man City (h)
    Everton (a)

favourable fixtures Jose

Soups123 wrote: »
    Hold back? The champions League is a bigger trophy than FA cup if there's any game we should lessen its fa cup at home to pool.

I want all though :)

Thats what I meant
    I probably didn't make it clear

Liverpool (a)
    Man U (h)
    Liverpool (h)
    Bayern (h)
    S'land (h)
    Stoke (a)
    Swansea (h)
    Bayern (a)
    Spurs (a)
    Chelsea (a)
    Man City (h)
    Everton (a)

favourable fixtures Jose

I wouldn't be surprised with 5/6 wins out if the first 6

Bayern away to Everton way is another level or hardness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

With that set of fixtures ahead, I really hope that Arsene realises the importance of strengthening and that a couple of additions are brought in that can fit in seamlessly; easier said than done I realise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Bring it!

Be the best? Beat the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Goes without saying that 10 game run makes or breaks everything. If you got a bit of momentum up at the start of it, got the winning habit, you just never know what might happen. On the other hand; I was convinced we'd get a result at Middle Eastlands before Xmas and that we'd beat Chelsea at home. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Liverpool (a) WIN
    Man U (h) WIN
    Liverpool (h) WIN
    Bayern (h) WIN
    S'land (h) WIN
    Stoke (a) WIN
    Swansea (h) WIN
    Bayern (a) DRAW
    Spurs (a) WIN
    Chelsea (a) DRAW
    Man City (h) DRAW
    Everton (a) WIN

favourable fixtures Jose

Red and white ribbons on that Premier League trophy please lads, many thanks :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Liverpool (a) W
    Man U (h) W
    Liverpool (h) W
    Bayern (h) D
    S'land (h) W
    Stoke (a) W
    Swansea (h) W
    Bayern (a) L
    Spurs (a) W
    Chelsea (a) D
    Man City (h) D
    Everton (a) W

favourable fixtures Jose

Easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Well that's put a huge dent in our hopes for both the FA cup and the CL. The fixtures are absolutely appalling.

• Advertisement

efb wrote: »
    Bring it!

Be the best? Beat the best!

Roy Castle is that you :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

We really need to win the two Pool games and the Utd game. That'd really set us up nicey for Bayern.

Most important is the league though.

Roy Walker more like..

Say what you see!!!

efb wrote: »
    Roy Walker more like..

Say what you see!!!

remember there's no bell !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Liverpool (a)
    Man U (h)
    Liverpool (h)
    Bayern (h)
    S'land (h)
    Stoke (a)
    Swansea (h)
    Bayern (a)
    Spurs (a)
    Chelsea (a)

Man City (h)
    Everton (a)

favourable fixtures Jose

This is where fatigue could catch us. Three away in a row.

Fcuk me it's a ridiculous run of tough games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

If there was ever a reason to sign players its that fixture list.
    Having another good player would really help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

HazDanz wrote: »
    This is where fatigue could catch us. Three away in a row.

Fcuk me it's a ridiculous run of tough games.

Two of those games are in London, so at least they won't have to travel far.

The FA game against Liverpool doesn't really change things apart from the fact its a good team

The two most important games in that run are the league game against Liverpool and the CL game at home to Bayern. Avoid defeat against Utd and the team won't even feel the fatigue.

The away games against Spurs and Chelsea are in London so no travel issue - especially so close to the Bayern away leg (which we all know will be a formality after the 3 goal drubbing we'll give them at home)

One positive from that list is that travel fatigue shouldn't really come into it; only Liverpool, Stoke, Bayern and Everton contain any sort of decent amount of travelling. We're in London for the rest which is 8/12 games.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    The FA game against Liverpool doesn't really change things apart from the fact its a good team

Yeah, Wenger would have played his strongest team in that match regardless of who we faced after the Blackburn debacle last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    If there was ever a reason to sign players its that fixture list.
    Having another good player would really help.

Well it sure don't look like it's going to happen now. It's such a pity that we did not get someone, and we in a great position now.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I'm actually delighted we got Liverpool in the cup. Wenger won't be tempted to play a second string against them like he would against a lesser team. The FA cup game was always there so from my perspective it doesn't make an overall difference to the whole series of games in Feb/March.

I do agree with others and I do hope Wenger does bring in a couple of experienced bodies to give us a little more cover because one or two injuries in key areas and we could be struggling.

Overall I am positive as others have said if you want to be the best you have to play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

A cb on loan would even do, very risky only having one cb backup in verm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I think it's time we started to cherish the position we are in now. I am sick and tired of damn all to play for come mid February like the last few years. This is heaven. Good tough fixtures and in for 3 trophies. Hard, difficult, etc but this is what it is and should be all about!

We can only win from these games IMO. This group or team will not collapse. We may lose the league race but if so I will wager it's because we are not good enough yet-no shame there. We will get some amount of confidence, experience and development out of these games at worst. We will be a stronger force for next year and again that's the minimum. I believe we will be surprised though regarding how well we do.

I accept it's a bad run on paper but to be honest I am fed up of excuses for us and the team. We are right in the thick of it and it's time to embrace it. Time to stop looking for other teams to lose it and go win for ourselves. Whatever happens between now and the first week in April v Everton us fans are in for an absolute treat.

Combine that with real impetus in the transfer market it's exciting and this great club is back where it should be. Let's hope it's consistent and we have these issues every year!

Roll on a tough game Tuesday night where I think we are in for a tough tough night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cant wait for that fixture list to start tbh, going to be a big game every 3 days, thats why we love this club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Journalist Raphael Honigstein just confirmed that negotiations are ongoing between Arsenal and Schalke for Julian Draxler. The sticking point is the price. Schalke want the full £37m but Wenger is reluctant. Don't blame him when you think it's only 5 million less than he paid for Özil.

Journalist Raphael Honigstein just confirmed that negotiations are ongoing between Arsenal and Schalke for Julian Draxler. The sticking point is the price. Schalke want the full £37m but Wenger is reluctant. Don't blame him when you think it's only 5 million less than he paid for Özil.

Pay the money and try quickly for another cheap or loan deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

FFS it is such a big deal for the mods to make a two line post when they are locking the old thread. :mad:

Raf32 wrote: »
    Pay the money and try quickly for another cheap or loan deal.

Draxler and Berbatov would equip us nicely IMO:)

• Advertisement

Draxler and Berbatov would equip us nicely IMO:)

Totally agree, full of options then.

I think so. Makes us immune from an injury crisis then in that we could still put out very good teams.

Appreciate we may be light at the back but I can't see us getting a CB in the short term better than Sagna as our 4th choice back up. May be wrong but not expecting much on that front.

Hopefully the Liverpool draw might push Arsene over the line for Draxler. Be a huge statement.

I think so. Makes us immune from an injury crisis then in that we could still put out very good teams.

Appreciate we may be light at the back but I can't see us getting a CB in the short term better than Sagna as our 4th choice back up. May be wrong but not expecting much on that front.

Hopefully the Liverpool draw might push Arsene over the line for Draxler. Be a huge statement.

Would take us up another level in my opinion. Draxler is special and you cant have enough of them. Alternate him for the cup game and the league game after munich as he is cup tied and tiredness shouldnt be a big problem with a big squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Tough set of fixtures you lot have coming up in the next couple of months;

LFC (a)
    ManU (h)
    LFC (h)
    Bayern (h)
    Bayern (a)
    Spurs (a)
    Chelsea (a)
    ManCity (h)
    Everton (a)

Raf32 wrote: »
    Would take us up another level in my opinion. Draxler is special and you cant have enough of them. Alternate him for the cup game and the league game after munich as he is cup tied and tiredness shouldnt be a big problem with a big squad.

True. Would be grand to be able to play a line up of the following against the likes of Sunderland, Swansea, etc and resting Arteta, Ramsey, Ozil, Cazorla and Giroud.!

Flamini Wilshere

Rosicky/Gnabry Draxler Podolski

Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

After seeing that run of games I really think we need a couple of players to strengthen the squad.
    It could be the incentive for Wenger to go out and get them.
    Will he do it? I just can't see it happening somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

But putting sagna in seriously weakens our defence when we have to play jenks at th, were so solid with sagna there.

Anyway exciting few months ahead

After seeing that run of games I really think we need a couple of players to strengthen the squad.
    It could be the incentive for Wenger to go out and get them.
    Will he do it? I just can't see it happening somehow.

The thought of going through that run with a strike force of Giroud, Bendtner and Sanogo scares the shiit out of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The thought of going through that run with a strike force of Giroud, Bendtner and Sanogo scares the shiit out of me.

Me too. God forbid Giroud picks up an injury.
    Though you forgot to add Podolski to that list.

Me too. God forbid Giroud picks up an injury.
    Though you forgot to add Podolski to that list.

I hope Podolski stays on the wing though, he's much more impressive there than up front. If we're not signing a striker, then surely Sanogo should get game time against Southampton and Palace now that he's fully fit. Otherwise, we could be faced with a situation of having to throw him in against the likes of Bayern with no games under his belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Sky sports news saying Draxler deal is "in the offing".

https://vine.co/v/Mubp2wuAtOY

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement