Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

People need to calm down. We're a point off top, if we don't make a signing its not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

fuuuuck. spent most of the day defending arsenal from my mates, really wanted draxler in to shut them up. wenger, ITS NOT YOUR MONEY. spend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

People need to calm down. We're a point off top, if we don't make a signing its not the end of the world.

Its our best chance in years to win the league and/or a cup and we lost two of our most influential players for a huge period. 100% need signings, 2 at the least imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I would have agreed with you last week but now we are 2 injuries away from a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

While I agree that were only a point off first... I myself am more pissed off that we may have let another young world class player slip through our fingers.

Like have we learned nothing from Gotze/Hazard?
    How many times are we going to miss out on a world class player before we learn?

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    While I agree that were only a point off first... I myself am more pissed off that we may have let another young world class player slip through our fingers.

How many times are we going to miss out on a world class player before we learn?

we still have a chance tomorrow. but i've a feeling we'll see draxler in a city or chelsea or united shirt, tearing us up in a season or two.

like RvP.
    or Hazard.
    or Mata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

37m seems ridiculous for Draxler tbh

BUT, the narrative should not be that we didn't buy because Draxler alone was overpriced. The club have known about the need for a striker for 6 months and that should have been sorted in January, no ifs or buts.

The league will be tougher next year and we'll be looking back at this missed opportunity in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Agree with several of the posters here. In fairness, 37m for such a young player who hasn't really proven anything yet is crazy. However that doesn't stop the club from looking at other options to compensate for some obvious deficiencies in our squad, mainly a striker. And if there really weren't any other options then going all out for Draxler would have been a real sign of ambition. Hopefully we won't regret missing him and can get someone good in tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

We were probably led down the garden path

The big clubs probably knew he wouldn't be available till the summer hence the lack of interest from other clubs.

• Advertisement

rumours city spending 50 million on Fernando and Mangala tomorrow, areas they know they have to strengthen and they go out and do it. how can we compete with them we they can throw money like that around for a starter and a squad player?

Raf32 wrote: »
    rumours city spending 50 million on Fernando and Mangala tomorrow, areas they know they have to strengthen and they go out and do it. how can we compete with them we they can throw money like that around for a starter and a squad player?

To be fair we competing with them.
    Just not when it comes to transfers.

city are making a mockery of FFP. there is no FFP.

What people need to remember is that Draxler will be bedding in if he signs tomorrow and apart from the psychological boost, he is a 19 yr old with a big price tag and big pressure and we are nearly assuming he could be the difference between winning the league and not. Things are a bit different with Ozil who came from Real with more experience. We can't expect Draxler to have the same impact in such a short space of time.
    Think people need to calm down ffs. One point from top and were having a meltdown? We get Vucinic which there is a good chance as Osvaldo is talking to Juve then his addition will help.
    We'll get Draxler at a price right for AFC. Im still confident this will take a turn yet

bad2dabone wrote: »

Surely they'll get rid of two from the wage bill before tomorrow night though? Chelsea have had to sell to buy lately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Not that annoyed as deep down we knew he wasn't coming.

However, I am annoyed that we didn't take the opportunity in the summer to strengthen. In many ways the Ozil deal distracted us from another negligent window. The squad is short, even more so with the injuries.

• Advertisement

One point from top and were having a meltdown? We get Vucinic which there is a good chance as Osvaldo is talking to Juve then his addition will help.

I'm pretty sure Vucinic won't be joining since he supposedly won't agree terms.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What people need to remember is that Draxler will be bedding in if he signs tomorrow and apart from the psychological boost, he is a 19 yr old with a big price tag and big pressure and we are nearly assuming he could be the difference between winning the league and not. Things are a bit different with Ozil who came from Real with more experience. We can't expect Draxler to have the same impact in such a short space of time.
    Think people need to calm down ffs. One point from top and were having a meltdown? We get Vucinic which there is a good chance as Osvaldo is talking to Juve then his addition will help.
    We'll get Draxler at a price right for AFC. Im still confident this will take a turn yet

You're right but better to bed him in now and have him raring to go next August no?

If they really want him they'll have to stump the cash in the summer anyway.

I haven't given up hope yet anyway, don't see why that tweet is any more reliable than the stories saying the deal is more or less agreed.

Nothing going to change lads.
    No cavalry coming.

I reckon we'll get Vucinic. Draxler might require extra crossed fingers but it's possible right up to 23.00 tomorrow night

Surely they'll get rid of two from the wage bill before tomorrow night though? Chelsea have had to sell to buy lately

Chelsea are targeting FFP. City are not, they are just completely ignoring it.

I reckon we'll get Vucinic. Draxler might require extra crossed fingers but it's possible right up to 23.00 tomorrow night

well i've a six pack of beers and a spot on the couch organised for tomorrow evening. lets hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

AdamD wrote: »
    Chelsea are targeting FFP. City are not, they are just completely ignoring it.

Haven't City got around FFP with their massively dodgy stadium sponsorship deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Dissappointed if we don't get Draxler but he wouldn't make any difference this year anyway.

It's a totally rediculous price too. Insane money for potential.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Haven't City got around FFP with their massively dodgy stadium sponsorship deal?

also they have sales in this years accounts of 41 million for "intellectual property" including 22 million to other City related companies. Joke.

source: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jan/29/manchester-city-loss-wage-bill-income
    The accounts show Sheikh Mansour had paid almost exactly £1bn into City since his 2008 takeover, including £190m last year. Total losses made to 31 May 2013 were £559m, which Sheikh Mansour's money has bankrolled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

we still have a chance tomorrow. but i've a feeling we'll see draxler in a city or chelsea or united shirt, tearing us up in a season or two.

like RvP.
    or Hazard.
    or Mata.

Or Ozil.

Wait what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We missed out on Gotze and Hazard??

When the fcuk were we in for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Fabianskis save against Watford. WOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Its starting to look more and more like nothing is going to happen.

gosplan wrote: »
    We missed out on Gotze and Hazard??

When the fcuk were we in for them?

Its pretty well know we were interested in them.
    We just never bothered are hole putting in a decent bid.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fairly sure we put in substantial bids for both, certainly did for Hazard anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Few places reporting that the board are willing to meet draxlers release fee but Wenger said no. Can't say I disagree with him. That's crazy crazy money for him.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Shipping Park out to Nantes apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I dont think FFP is going to be completely ermmmm "activated" until next season.

This season and perhaps the next as well is all about giving the clubs time to get their houses in order before FFP is fully enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Shipping Park out to Nantes apparently.

makes sense, we've an abundance of forwards at the club :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Think we should have got a couple in for this window. Could be dreadfully short of bodies for the run in. I think the premiership will be a lot stronger next season with United spending big and city and chelsea continuing to strengthen. I think we should pay the money for draxler and build a squad to be feared. One big signing every window is better than 2 or 3 average ones. I thought we were moving on to a different level with the signing of
    Ozil but it looks like the same old story of penny pinching again. As the saying goes you get what you pay for. If we stand still now we'll go backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Mirror says we're after Klose tomorrow - we may still get a German, albeit one who is fifteen years older!

Mirror says we're after Klose tomorrow - we may still get a German, albeit one who is fifteen years older!

I'd actually love to have Klose.
    The mans a class act.

The mans a class act.

And more importantly. CHEAP!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The mans a class act.

He'd give us options as a short term fix. Need at least one more. Personally I can understand Wengers reluctance with Draxler but my fear is that in the summer one of the other big clubs of Europe will swoop in and sign him. The guy is a potential World beater, if we can get him now then we should go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The man is as old as Arsene. Not a hope in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Think we should have got a couple in for this window. Could be dreadfully short of bodies for the run in. I think the premiership will be a lot stronger next season with United spending big and city and chelsea continuing to strengthen. I think we should pay the money for draxler and build a squad to be feared. One big signing every window is better than 2 or 3 average ones. I thought we were moving on to a different level with the signing of
    Ozil but it looks like the same old story of penny pinching again. As the saying goes you get what you pay for. If we stand still now we'll go backwards.

I wouldn't exactly call refusing to pay 37m for Draxler penny pinching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I'd like Klose too although I wonder if Lazio are gonna sell both him and Hernanes this window, just wouldn't make sense for them to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Not too bothered about not signing Draxler (although it would be nice), but not signing a forward will be absolutely criminal, we surely have something lined up?? Were 1 injury away from a major crisis.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10605875/Arsene-Wenger-explores-alternative-loan-deals-as-move-for-Schalke-star-Julian-Draxler-remains-in-deadlock.html
    Arsenal were exploring potential loan signings on Thursday night to boost their attack after remaining deadlocked with Schalke in their attempts to buy Julian Draxler.
    The club do have staff on stand-by to complete a possible deadline-day deal for Draxler without requiring the Germany international to travel to England but they have been unable to agree a price with Schalke.
    Draxler has a £37.8 million release clause that does not become active until the summer and Schalke would still expect a similar fee to do business mid-season.
    Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, believes Draxler could develop into a player of genuine world-class quality but is reluctant to spend such a proportion of his transfer budget on a player who is only 20 and largely unproven.

It could amount to brinkmanship on either side, and Wenger has acknowledged that deadline day can change by the hour, but he has now actively widened his search to include more short-term solutions.
    Real Madrid’s Alvaro Morata and Barcelona’s Christian Tello have been identified but there are still reservations from both Spanish clubs at the value of allowing either player to leave on loan. Miroslav Klose, the experienced Germany striker who is playing in Serie A with Lazio, is another possible loan solution.
    Theo Walcott will miss the rest of the season following knee surgery, Aaron Ramsey is expected to be out for another month with a thigh injury while Jack Wilshire has been troubled by further ankle problems. Wenger is also mindful of being overly reliant on Oliver Giroud, Mesut Özil and Santi Cazorla for his creativity.
    Wenger admitted yesterday that Arsenal were not close to clinching any signings. “Are we active? Yes. Are we close to sign anybody? No,” he said.
    Schalke’s sporting director, Horst Heldt, is confident that Wenger will not sanction a sufficiently high bid today for Draxler. “I am very convinced that Draxler will be playing for us in the Rückrunde [second half of the season] but most probably beyond that,” he said. “Of course, there are always other clubs interested in him, and should someone make a serious offer for him then we, as a club, have to professionally consider that.”
    Negotiations have centred on the structure of the deal, with Arsenal trying to find some sort of compromise on the sequence of payments that could be heavily dependent on Draxler reaching a series of milestones. Schalke, though, want more of the fee up-front and, as of last night, neither club were confident of a breakthrough.
    Should that change, the issue of personal terms and a medical are unlikely to be problematic. Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt assessed Draxler on Wednesday over a tendon problem that should see him return within a week and he is the same doctor who conducted the medical for Özil on deadline day of the summer transfer window.
    As they did for the signing of Özil, it is also understood that Dick Law, the club’s contact negotiator, and club doctor Gary O’Driscoll would be in position to carry out their work without needing Draxler to rush to England.are closing in on a deal for Schalke star Julian Draxler as Arsène Wenger targets two new signings before the transfer window shuts.

I wouldn't exactly call refusing to pay 37m for Draxler penny pinching.

Fair enough but we've got to start paying the price for top talent if we want to compete and start winning trophies again.

I'd like Klose too although I wonder if Lazio are gonna sell both him and Hernanes this window, just wouldn't make sense for them to do so.

I think Lazio are dead broke. Would explain selling there best player to Inter.

• Advertisement

i remember thinking over the summer no way would we go with just giroud until january. Then had to get used to it after the window shut and every time he went down there was huge panic but always thought we would 100% have some sort of cover in for start of this month and bed them in the fa cup games and on the last day of the market it looks like we giroud could be our only striker all season, absolutely mental

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Lazio have signed Postiga on loan from Valencia

Source: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2048851.html?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I can't understand everyone saying were right its to much money for Draxler to much money for potential.

United paid massive money for Rooney on potential, Chelsea paid massive money for Mata, Hazard and Oscar all on potential. Barcelona paid crazy money for Neymar on potential.

if you want biggest and brightest prospects in football the future world beaters you have to pay for it and I sure as hell want to see them kinda players joining Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Fair enough but we've got to start paying the price for top talent if we want to compete and start winning trophies again.

Beit-nWCUAAvPX4.jpg

Wenger making a show of Mourinho again
    BfRBJy7IUAA2Ilp.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement