Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I can't understand everyone saying were right its to much money for Draxler to much money for potential.

United paid massive money for Rooney on potential, Chelsea paid massive money for Mata, Hazard and Oscar all on potential. Barcelona paid crazy money for Neymar on potential.

if you want biggest and brightest prospects in football the future world beaters you have to pay for it and I sure as hell want to see them kinda players joining Arsenal.

They are looking for almost double what them players went for. Neymar excluded but most of that money was a bung

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

I can't understand everyone saying were right its to much money for Draxler to much money for potential.

United paid massive money for Rooney on potential, Chelsea paid massive money for Mata, Hazard and Oscar all on potential. Barcelona paid crazy money for Neymar on potential.

if you want biggest and brightest prospects in football the future world beaters you have to pay for it and I sure as hell want to see them kinda players joining Arsenal.

Totally agree with you. Invest in young talent and we will reap the rewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Beit-nWCUAAvPX4.jpg

Class!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jonny666 wrote: »
    They are looking for almost double what them players went for. Neymar excluded but most of that money was a bung

No there not both Rooney and Hazard moved for 30 million plus deals, both Oscar and Mata high 20's and I'm sure there is plenty more examples than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

transfers should be taken out of his hands. He should pick the players he wants, and someone else deal with the business of signing them, including how much to pay, with the approval of kronke/gazidis. Wenger has too much power, and I say that as a wenger fan.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bad2dabone wrote: »
    transfers should be taken out of his hands. He should pick the players he wants, and someone else deal with the business of signing them, including how much to pay, with the approval of kronke/gazidis. Wenger has too much power, and I say that as a wenger fan.

It's hard to criticise him since he's been such an integral part of how well the club has been run as a whole and he often proves his critics wrong but at the same time part of me thinks the finances shouldn't be any of his concern. Rodgers at Liverpool has a very hard time getting the board to give him money for the players he wants which could very well result in them missing out on 4th yet we're at the opposite end of the spectrum where the board throw money at the manager only for him to not use it, except of course we're playing for a title this season.

That's assuming the stories we've heard today are true of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

What people need to remember is that Draxler will be bedding in if he signs tomorrow and apart from the psychological boost, he is a 19 yr old with a big price tag and big pressure and we are nearly assuming he could be the difference between winning the league and not. Things are a bit different with Ozil who came from Real with more experience. We can't expect Draxler to have the same impact in such a short space of time.
    Think people need to calm down ffs. One point from top and were having a meltdown? We get Vucinic which there is a good chance as Osvaldo is talking to Juve then his addition will help.
    We'll get Draxler at a price right for AFC. Im still confident this will take a turn yet

Most common sense post here all night. Jeez Im proud to be an Arsenal fan and usually with the sense talked on this thread but my god some of the rubbish posted tonight??:confused:

Wenger is well justified on not splashing out €37 million on a 20 year old kid who has scored 1 league GOAL this season if he deems he is not worth it. What is wrong with people. Maybe it's time to start supporting City if it's not meeting your fancy. It's not Football Manager it's real life.

We were 4th last year and 20 points off a league title. We brought in 2 players, broke our transfer record and must remember more money for us does not mean City or Chelsea spending. If we paid any attention we would know for us that means £70-80 million a year. Not go and do what we want. We can't sign a 25 million player and leave him on the bench like the oil clubs.

As for a striker - who do we sign?? In January? Let's get real and stop losing the plot. All some on here want is to spend money and then we are happy. As I said before we could sign Jedward 40 million and it would please some people just because we spent some money.

If it's right it will happen.

{Draxler has a £37.8 million release clause that does not become active until the summer and Schalke would still expect a similar fee to do business mid-season.
    Arsène Wenger, the Arsenal manager, believes Draxler could develop into a player of genuine world-class quality but is reluctant to spend such a proportion of his transfer budget on a player who is only 20 and largely unproven.}

He is on a four year deal.

Might also be important to bear this in mind before we throw the toys out of the pram.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Most common sense post here all night. Jeez Im proud to be an Arsenal fan and usually with the sense talked on this thread but my god some of the rubbish posted tonight??:confused:

Wenger is well justified on not splashing out €37 million on a 20 year old kid who has scored 1 league GOAL this season if he deems he is not worth it. What is wrong with people. Maybe it's time to start supporting City if it's not meeting your fancy. It's not Football Manager it's real life.

Yeah I don't think he is worth the price yet.

Haven't seen much of him this year, besides the champions league, but have watched him a bit last season and he wouldn't walk in to the team imo.He's not really a winger either I think.Kind of a Kaka type without that explosive pace.

He is still very light and wasteful, drops very deep at times too to get into the game.Not sure how that would work with Ozil, Santi in the same team.

I would like if we signed him, but can understand Arsene's reluctance.We have Gnarby who is similar.

Would prefer someone like Angel Di Maria

Yep we should go down the AVB route and impose players on Wenger. Wonder how that would go?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

All this focus on Draxler...

Massive buy out clause that isn't valid until the summer.
    He's VERY young.
    He's VERY expensive.
    He's not the player we need RIGHT NOW.

I hope Wenger has a plan-B. It's a striker we need more. I hope while we do have an interest he is looking elsewhere for the striker we need, or at least a backup because if he isn't that's the title gone. Giroud is going to get injured sooner than later and with the shambells our medics are we always have 4 or 5 players out at any one time.

Buy all the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Today's the day.

Draxler signing to be overshadowed by Nick Anelka handing in a transfer request and signing with Arsenal on a 18 month deal

Just my opinion, may or may not happen.

Yep we should go down the AVB route and impose players on Wenger. Wonder how that would go?

Read what I said again. Wenger picks them, someone else decides what to pay for them. It's how it worked when dein was around and that worked out well didn't it?
    I didn't say anything about imposing players on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

I wonder if Arsenal fade away and come third or worse as most pundits expect, will the same pundits accuse us of bottling as usual??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfers-julian-draxler-deal-3095429#.Uus5SXddU4Q

Madrid and city watching the draxler saga closely.

It's obviously just a headline to annoy us arsenal fans more..but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

We were 4th last year and 20 points off a league title. We brought in 2 players, broke our transfer record and must remember more money for us does not mean City or Chelsea spending. If we paid any attention we would know for us that means £70-80 million a year. Not go and do what we want. We can't sign a 25 million player and leave him on the bench like the oil clubs.

As for a striker - who do we sign?? In January? Let's get real and stop losing the plot. All some on here want is to spend money and then we are happy. As I said before we could sign Jedward 40 million and it would please some people just because we spent some money.

If it's right it will happen.

Yes yes yes.

This is sense.

We all want a signing but an overpriced injured kid who can't yet play in the position we need will not change much about this season.

I would of course be happy if we signed him but it won't make a difference on the pitch bar the boost it might give the other players.

People need to pause for a second, look at Draxler, look at what he's done in the game and then see that they're asking for the same money as established stars like Ozil, Mata and Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Agree. This is what used to happen when David Dein was there. Wenger gave him a list of players and Dein went and bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

That's not what bad2dabone was saying...I don't know how you got that from his post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

G1032 wrote: »
    Agree. This is what used to happen when David Dein was there. Wenger gave him a list of players and Dein went and bought them.

Arsene stepped up when the club needed him when Dein departed. He was doing two jobs and he probably still is to a large extent.

He's done a grand job for us so I'm going to trust him

• Advertisement

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Wenger. Dein remains an Arsenal man but when he saw the oil clubs he resolved the best way to beat them was to join them, hence his involvement with usmanov. I don't support that course of action but I can understand deins reasons.

Anyhow, yeah draxler is expensive, but if we have the money- and we do - and the wages are reasonable, which they are - and the player is keen on being a gooner - apparently is - then do the deal. He's the number one target apparently.

We've missed out on on numerous targets because of uhmming and ahhhing over price, now we have more cash to spend we're still doing that. It just frustrates me.

A lot of posters here a few weeks ago thought it wasn't too much to spend on a 20 year old.

I was saying we would be spending the majority of our budget on him which wasn't worth the gamble.

We haven't got the resources of city and Chelsea, so we have to spend wisely.

We haven't got the resources of city and Chelsea, so we have to spend wisely.

Absolutely agree, but the squad doesn't need major investment so adding one or two additions a season in the elite price range should be affordable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Raf32 wrote: »
    Wenger making a show of Mourinho again
    BfRBJy7IUAA2Ilp.jpg

Just goes to show how important top 4 is, playing in the Europa League is punishing in terms of games, travel time and rest. You would be better off finishing a few places lower in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Today is the day!

Dissapointeed about the Draxler move but tbh if we got in a half decent striker in it would do. No striker back up and it will be hard to forgive.

We wouldnt have Ozil if it wasnt for Wengers direct involvement.

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    We wouldnt have Ozil if it wasnt for Wengers direct involvement.

we'd probably have suarez though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

gosplan wrote: »
    People need to pause for a second, look at Draxler, look at what he's done in the game and then see that they're asking for the same money as established stars like Ozil, Mata and Falcao.

The are not asking anywhere near the same money as Falcao, Monaco spent £50m on Falcao. There is a huge difference in prices there. I'm not suggesting that Wenger should just throw Schalke whatever they want but if we don't get him now I don't think we will ever get him, PSG or Bayern will come in in the summer and pay his release clause. I don't see why Wenger won't just pay what a bit more to get the deal done, we only need maybe 1 or 2 more summer signings so its not as if we need a huge transfer kitty come the summer.

I'll just leave this link to annoy us a little more

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/01/29/what-would-draxler-bring-to-arsenal/2014012960492

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I only wish we had gone an extra 10 million and been serious about Suarez

we'd probably have suarez though :)

I dont think so. Liverpool would never have sold him to us.

So Wenger is saying 80% chance on bringing someone in and says we need a midfielder.

Any ideas as to who?

• Advertisement

Oh and Ramsey confirmed out for 6 weeks.

Need Jack to get fit, stay fit and continue his impressive form of recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

ronjo wrote: »
    So Wenger is saying 80% chance on bringing someone in and says we need a midfielder.

Any ideas as to who?

Kim Kalstrom from Spartak Moscow is the trendy name at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If they are saying Ramsey is out for 6 weeks then it will probably turn out to be 8 weeks!!!

Back to Draxler, I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider him being the answer to our current shortcoming on the field. Signing a player of this potential would be a serious statement of intent by Arsenal and give a major boost in morale. I'd see Draxler as a future key building block of an Arsenal team. If we wait until he is confirmed as a Major Star player he will be snapped up at a ridiculous price by one of the "Suger Daddy" clubs.

If we are serious about him and the funds are there then he should be snapped up. We would still need another one or two players for this season as well. Klose would be ideal imho but not sure if that is just a fantasy or reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

ronjo wrote: »

Any ideas as to who?

`80% is closer to 100% as he would never say that if we wasn't sure we were signing someone.

And absolutely no idea!

Hopefully we can pull off a striker on loan aswell. Talk of Klose, Vucinic and Tello.

gandalf wrote: »
    If they are saying Ramsey is out for 6 weeks then it will probably turn out to be 8 weeks!!!

Back to Draxler, I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider him being the answer to our current shortcoming on the field. Signing a player of this potential would be a serious statement of intent by Arsenal and give a major boost in morale. I'd see Draxler as a future key building block of an Arsenal team. If we wait until he is confirmed as a Major Star player he will be snapped up at a ridiculous price by one of the "Suger Daddy" clubs.

If we are serious about him and the funds are there then he should be snapped up. We would still need another one or two players for this season as well. Klose would be ideal imho but not sure if that is just a fantasy or reality.

Wenger said Draxler was a fabrication from the newspapers and was never leaving Shalke this window.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Wenger said Draxler was a fabrication from the newspapers and was never leaving Shalke this window.

I call bollix on that. We were definitely interested. As Shakespeare would say "methinks the lady doth protest too much"!

wawaman wrote: »
    Kim Kalstrom from Spartak Moscow is the trendy name at the minute

a quick google tells me he's 31. not the usual wenger type signing

gandalf wrote: »
    I call bollix on that. We were definitely interested. As Shakespeare would say "methinks the lady doth protest too much"!

Id say were still interested just as a summer signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn't exactly call refusing to pay 37m for Draxler penny pinching.

Do you think he will be cheaper to buy in the summer?

And to lighten things up a bit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffbVJohHs7Y

Saw it on Gunnerblogs Twitter feed :)

• Advertisement

Do you think he will be cheaper to buy in the summer?

For the 100th time - Draxlers release clause of £37 million does not become active until summer.

Therefore we are probably being asked to pay more than that as Schalke do not want to sell.

That is why Wenger would be completely justified in not spending more money than Ozil cost to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

For the 100th time - Draxlers release clause of £37 million does not become active until summer.

Therefore we are probably being asked to pay more than that as Schalke do not want to sell.

That is why Wenger would be completely justified in not spending more money than Ozil cost to get him.

Going by most reports, they claim that Schalke want a fee similar to his release clause now. I'd say Wenger is trying to spend not more than £30m. Who knows really. Hard to know what to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Does anyone know a way of refreshing the page without having to hit F5, this is getting tiring

I agree on that. BUT -

1. If Wenger has identified him as a replacement for RVP as many are saying it might be madness not to agree terms now in order to get him in the summer.

2. If he was our main target yet we were not going to get him in this window WHY are we so slow to get cover for Giroud. It should have been our priority.

I know nothing about most of these players except what I read here or in the papers or BBC websites. Again we are 2 injuries short of a disaster. If anything happened to Mert or Giroud I would have very serious concerns even for a top 4 place. With our fixtures we could plummet down the table. We seem to be picking up injuries and knocks at the wrong time of the year with those difficult fixtures coming so close together. Not to have back-up is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Soups123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know a way of refreshing the page without having to hit F5, this is getting tiring

Chrome add-on "Auto Refresh Plus"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Soups123 wrote: »

Ctrl + R :pac:

Wenger: "The Draxler situation has been created by the newspapers, not by me. He will stay at Schalke."

Thinks its time we moved on, Wenger has!

Wenger: "The Draxler situation has been created by the newspapers, not by me. He will stay at Schalke."

Thinks its time we moved on, Wenger has!

yep, the ship has sailed.

we've a match tomorrow to look forward to also :)

yep, the ship has sailed.

we've a match tomorrow to look forward to also :)

Sunday :pac:

• Advertisement

Sunday :pac:

ok the Telly? even better!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement