Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

In 12 months we have signed

A squad left back
    A world class player
    Two free players
    And a loan

For a team that looks short we sign one starter

Not good enough simply not good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not inspiring but practical. Ramsey gone for 6 weeks, Flamini out for some big games, Arteta coming back from injury and Wilshere hurt again.

Wish we could have the big name signing too but if it's not out there in January that's fair enough too.

It wouldn't have taken a big-named signing to provide cover for Giroud.
    Even Berbatov (who i detest) would have been better than nobody.
    Surely to God we are not going to allow this position to remain as is for the remainder of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Surely to God we are not going to allow this position to remain as is for the remainder of the season?

Klose would do a job there for the rest of the season.
    He has 5 league goals in 13 games this season...... no idea how many of them are starting though.

Klose won't happen. Scurrilous rumour started on twitter according to Arseblog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Something like 140m in the bank, and a new 30m a year kit deal. 17 years' consecutive CL money.

Financial Firepower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I feel like I've landed in an alternate universe where real football is in fact Football Manager 2006 and we're going for the highly sought after Kim Kallstrom. Unfortunately its actually January 2014 and we're going after Kim Kallstrom.

Loan signings for Arsenal perplex me. It would be very difficult to find a player good enough for Arsenal, who another club are actually willing to let go on loan. If Spartak Moscow are willing to let this guy go without a fee it doesn't exactly scream Arsenal quality. Likewise with Morata.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

In 12 months we have signed

A squad left back
    A world class player
    Two free players
    And a loan

For a team that looks short we sign one starter

Not good enough simply not good enough

That squad left back is a 50/50 selection or the first 11 and had hugley improved our options.

One of the frees you allude to happens to have been one of, if not our most consistent player of the season, whos influence and impact on the rest of the team has been immeasurable, I fail to see why it is relevant that we didnt pay a fee for him, if anything that is something to be commended??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Lol, pure joke of a window yet again for us. Bye bye any chance of winning the title.

Kim Kallstrom, ffs not even stale jaffa cakes from the pound shop.

Wenger better have a plan B.

I have to say I find it both highly ammussing and also in another way very frustrating how so many posters on here continually harp on about the negative press we get between the likes of Houghton and all the rest and when they all continaully predict that we will ultimately fold, we all get very defensive and call them all isiots.

Yet on the very next page we see nothing wrong with continually questioning the methods and policies of our most successfull manager in the modern era, really there most be some incredible managerial talent lurking on these pages seen that soo many of you seem to know better than the gaffer :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Meanwhile Chelsea sign 19 year old Kurt Zouma as a replacement for John Terry when he decides to depart.
    Nothing like having your replacement ready and bedded in.

I have to say I find it both highly ammussing and also in another way very frustrating how so many posters on here continually harp on about the negative press we get between the likes of Houghton and all the rest and when they all continaully predict that we will ultimately fold, we all get very defensive and call them all isiots.

Yet on the very next page we see nothing wrong with continually questioning the methods and policies of our most successfull manager in the modern era, really there most be some incredible managerial talent lurking on these pages seen that soo many of you seem to know better than the gaffer :rolleyes:

Do you think we need back-up for Giroud?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

FearDark wrote: »
    Lol, pure joke of a window yet again for us. Bye bye any chance of winning the title.

KK is plan B I fear, the problem is the quality and difference from plan A (Draxler) and plan B (KK) is huge.

I will be fuming if this window closes without a front man added, its not as if we have a few who are off form (ala Chelsea) we just dont have any

City/Chelsea to sneak Draxler in the summer.

Left holding our dicks again.

FearDark wrote: »

So Flamini is the DM we were getting.

Riiiiight. Showing some real ambition there Arsene signing someone who LEFT US five years ago.

**** off

That was your comment when we signed Flamini, do you think that maybe Arsene knows what he is actually doing??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

@premierstone I think the issue is that most of us here didn't expect to see us in the position that we are in at this moment, still challenging for the league. We all hoped that we could stay in the CL spots. We realise that we are light on options and with some decent cover then we do have a very good chance to be still in the mix and maybe win the title under the noses of the "Suger Daddy" clubs. Of course we are all getting frustrated, its understandable with a couple of additions we could actually win this mother and shut up all the other fans and the you haven't won a trophy in x years comments!

• Advertisement

Do you think we need back-up for Giroud?

Who is available in January that is better than Podolski? Some people seem to think its as simple as just going out and throwing money around, would you be happy with Chelseas forward options, and yet the club that has endless funds have failed to sign a forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Will people save their rants until 23:01 please.

Who is available in January that is better than Podolski? Some people seem to think its as simple as just going out and throwing money around, would you be happy with Chelseas forward options, and yet the club that has endless funds have failed to sign a forward?

Most forwards we sign will be better than pod up front

Cause quite frankly he is shît playing as a striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

They also have Lukaku to consider.

And Podolski is clearly not seen as a CF by Wenger, the real question is was anyone available better than Bendtner?

The crap about no availability in January is annoying me now, there have been plenty of transfers in previous January windows and we've had since September to identify a forward target. We've managed to get CM cover in a matter of 3 days...

And I'm not saying we're ****ed or anything, but its just ridiculous to not add to the squad given the opportunities on offer over the next few months. There will be a big step up next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

We need a centre forward. Podoslki isnt a centre forward. We have Giroud and Bendtner as strikers. Thats it. WE NEED A STRIKER. Doesnt have to be better then Giroud. But we need someone. KK isnt the answer although I dont mind us signing him

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »
    @premierstone I think the issue is that most of us here didn't expect to see us in the position that we are in at this moment, still challenging for the league. We all hoped that we could stay in the CL spots. We realise that we are light on options and with some decent cover then we do have a very good chance to be still in the mix and maybe win the title under the noses of the "Suger Daddy" clubs. Of course we are all getting frustrated, its understandable with a couple of additions we could actually win this mother and shut up all the other fans and the you haven't won a trophy in x years comments!

We all want the same thing but I guess we all have different visions and ideas of how it can/should be achieved.

It may very well be a sweeping genarlisation but I suspect that the majority of the more negative posters here starting supporting Arsenal since Wenger's arrival, I am a little bit older and remember the pre Arsene era and I think that gives one a bit more perspective, perhaps I am being a little unkind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

WAAAAAAAAY too many goal from outside the box for my liking :P

Podolski is not a CF and does not like playing there it seems.
    Also if Wenger wanted him there he had plenty of opportunities to give him game-time there and rest Giroud.
    He didn't do that either. Maybe he doesn't see him as a CF.

#As regards Chelsea, I would be happy to have Torres or Ba as replacements for Giroud.

That squad left back is a 50/50 selection or the first 11 and had hugley improved our options.

One of the frees you allude to happens to have been one of, if not our most consistent player of the season, whos influence and impact on the rest of the team has been immeasurable, I fail to see why it is relevant that we didnt pay a fee for him, if anything that is something to be commended??

Flamini is a squad player everyone for he don't play simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Bendtner is cover I guess?!

Bendtner is cover I guess?!

They can start putting our colours on the trophy then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

is there anything to be said for a for:
    1) Rickie Lambert
    2) Jonjo Shelvey?

Podolski is not a CF and does not like playing there it seems.
    Also if Wenger wanted him there he had plenty of opportunities to give him game-time there and rest Giroud.
    He didn't do that either. Maybe he doesn't see him as a CF.

#As regards Chelsea, I would be happy to have Torres or Ba as replacements for Giroud.

He couold certainly do a job there if needed, IMO he is a far better option than Bendtner, all of this of course is assuming Giroud actually misses any gametime, doesnt look likely anytime soon.

Torres and Ba both bettern than Bendy but Eto isnt fit to lace Olivers boots, it isnt cover Chelsea need its a first choice.
    Flamini is a squad player everyone for he don't play simple as that

Not a hope, Flamini right now is infinitley better than Arteta and was an excellent signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

But we really should be signing a striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

AdamD wrote: »
    They also have Lukaku to consider.

And Podolski is clearly not seen as a CF by Wenger, the real question is was anyone available better than Bendtner?

The crap about no availability in January is annoying me now, there have been plenty of transfers in previous January windows and we've had since September to identify a forward target. We've managed to get CM cover in a matter of 3 days...

And I'm not saying we're ****ed or anything, but its just ridiculous to not add to the squad given the opportunities on offer over the next few months. There will be a big step up next year.

While I agree that we really do need another striker for the rest of the season. Have any decent strikers moved in this window?

• Advertisement

They can start putting our colours on the trophy then :rolleyes:

You forgetting the other fella we have the French lad

Is he still around :)

We all want the same thing but I guess we all have different visions and ideas of how it can/should be achieved.

It may very well be a sweeping genarlisation but I suspect that the majority of the more negative posters here starting supporting Arsenal since Wenger's arrival, I am a little bit older and remember the pre Arsene era and I think that gives one a bit more perspective, perhaps I am being a little unkind.

Terry Neill was Arsenal manager when I started to support them so I have gone through a lot of good times and some bad ones as well.

However I believe if the club wanted to get quality players in then they could and it is a fact that our squad is very thin even threadbare in a couple of key areas. Now maybe Arsene is going to pull a bunny out of the hat at 10.55pm but at the moment it looks like this transfer window has been an opportunity missed.

He couold certainly do a job there if needed, IMO he is a far better option than Bendtner, all of this of course is assuming Giroud actually misses any gametime, doesnt look likely anytime soon.

Not a hope, Flamini right now is infinitley better than Arteta and was an excellent signing.

I disagree with flamini but I guess that's opinions

But your really wrong about pod, are you forgetting we played GERVINHO ahead of him as a striker last year

Stop dissing Flamini, the guy bar his tackle in the last game has been immense for us this season. I would have him in ahead of Arteta every game if he was available. I was delighted that Wenger snapped him up.

gandalf wrote: »
    Stop dissing Flamini, they guy bar his tackle in the last game has been immense for us this season. I would have him in ahead of Arteta every game if he was available. I was delighted that Wenger snapped him up.

How is saying arteta would start ahead of him is dissing him ffs

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah Flamini has been a great signing imo. Arteta has been poor the last few times he's played (even before his injury) would have Flamster ahead of him everytime at the moment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So long Frimpong:

5008e58e-8f58-41ec-ace7-51a57589d070_500.jpg

I'm happy enough with all our players bar Bentner and Sanogo but he's young and unproven.
    We just haven't enough players and have too many injured.

Well if you need cheering up lads just head into the United thread they're beating themselves up a lot worse than we are here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Right. I've 9 pages to read since late last night. We must of broke the bank and signed somebody :cool::)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

BBC Sport's David Ornstein
    Salomon Kalou - going nowhere

"Lille tell us they have received enquiries from Premier League clubs for 28-year-old former Chelsea striker Salomon Kalou, the Ivory Coast international, but insist there is absolutely no chance he will be leaving the French club before the transfer window closes."

Thank God...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I'm happy enough with all our players bar Bentner and Sanogo but he's young and unproven.
    We just haven't enough players and have too many injured.

Our injury list isn't that bad actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Jaysus there are some miserable sods on here.

We are 2nd in the league and hopefully will be back top on Sundays.

Lets just see how it pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Kallstrom.

A great signing in LMA Manager 2006. Not so much in Real Life 2014.

Wtf Arsene. :eek:

Two points, the excuse of who is available is a bit of a blag, players are available if you are willing to spend united showed that with mata and chelsea have brought in a good few.

In terms of forwards, we have 2 that can play there Bendtner and Giroud everything else is either not good enough or square pegs in round holes. Chelsea have a problem like use except they have Torres, Ba & Eto all commanding huge wages they need to shift to move some in, we have two no heavy loading no over spend just a complete lack of numbers.

Personally I will hold off moaning until 11.01pm because I think the whole there is too big to be ignored and I think he will bring someone in......... I hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Soups123 wrote: »
    Personally I will hold off moaning until 11.01pm because I think the whole there is too big to be ignored and I think he will bring someone in......... I hope

This is what im hoping for. The need for a striker is one of the biggest holes in our squad in a long time. We tried to get another striker in the summer, circumstances havent changed since then, if anything with Sanogo injured and Bendtner taking air shots the situation has gotten worse. He just has to get one in

That was your comment when we signed Flamini, do you think that maybe Arsene knows what he is actually doing??

We signed him before Ozil. It wasn't just MY reaction, it was the felling of about 90% of fans.

Our injury list isn't that bad actually.

Ramsey is out for 6/8 weeks. With our luck it's probably longer.
    Jack was just getting fit when he was injured again. I think there's something the matter here.
    Rosicky is in and out all year.
    Theo out for the season.
    Chamberlain is just back and will take time to get match-fit.
    At the moment our midfield looks like -

Arteta, Cazorla, Ozil, Chamberlain/Gnabry and maybe Podolski/Monrael on the left.
    With Flamini suspended it's bad enough.

Saving this quote for when Giroud gets injured and you're crying for backup.

jonny666 wrote: »
    This is what im hoping for. The need for a striker is one of the biggest holes in our squad in a long time. We tried to get another striker in the summer, circumstances havent changed since then, if anything with Sanogo injured and Bendtner taking air shots the situation has gotten worse. He just has to get one in

Yep at that point he would have thought we have Giroud, Bendy, Sanogo, Walcott and Pod to come back but he chased Ba up until the last minute.

The situation has changed, we are now title contenders but we now only have Giroud and Bendy, Sanogo is way to raw for the run in, Walcott is out for the season and Pod will be needed on the left with the other midfield problems.

So surely the need now is greater than it was in August......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement