Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

How is saying arteta would start ahead of him is dissing him ffs

You are one of the most positive in here but you always get very ratty on deadline day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I honestly can't believe he isn't going to bring in a striker, at least for some cover for Giroud. Were challenging on 3 fronts, there is no way we can expect Giroud to carry the burden of firing us to at least one of these trophies :confused::confused: I wont pass judgement until the window closes but we deserve to win fcuk all if we don't sign a competent centre forward. Were so close to our first trophy in a long time and still we show the lack of ambition in the transfer market :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Soups123 wrote: »
    You are one of the most positive in here but you always get very ratty on deadline day

Its his biannual period :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Yep at that point he would have thought we have Giroud, Bendy, Sanogo, Walcott and Pod to come back but he chased Ba up until the last minute.

The situation has changed, we are now title contenders but we now only have Giroud and Bendy, Sanogo is way to raw for the run in, Walcott is out for the season and Pod will be needed on the left with the other midfield problems.

So surely the need now is greater than it was in August......

All valid points but it seems to me a lot on here are presuming Wenger is not trying rather than accepting the right option is not available.

People keep saying we should sign this amazing striker but can't identify him?? Chelsea badly need a striker and haven't had a sniff of one? Why? Because there is none available.

I am a fan of Berbatov. But maybe Wenger knows he may not be a good addition to the current squad in terms of attitude, etc. Who knows??

I think we should calm down and stop living in fantasy land. I have no doubt the club tried for a striker, is exploring options and the only reason we haven't is because the quality is not there.

Wenger is right about the January transfer window. It's a farce and an entertainment show. It seems some people want signings for the excitement rather than the practicalities of whats best for the club.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe he isn't going to bring in a striker, at least for some cover for Giroud. Were challenging on 3 fronts, there is no way we can expect Giroud to carry the burden of firing us to at least one of these trophies :confused::confused: I wont pass judgement until the window closes but we deserve to win fcuk all if we don't sign a competent centre forward. Were so close to our first trophy in a long time and still we show the lack of ambition in the transfer market :(

Who?? Who out there that is top class and gettable? Also we may not like him but Bendtner is the backup. I rate him. Don't like him but has been impressive in his rare cameos since the Hull game. I don't see anyone available that is a big upgrade on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

All valid points but it seems to me a lot on here are presuming Wenger is not trying rather than accepting the right option is not available.

People keep saying we should sign this amazing striker but can't identify him?? Chelsea badly need a striker and haven't had a sniff of one? Why? Because there is none available.

I am a fan of Berbatov. But maybe Wenger knows he may not be a good addition to the current squad in terms of attitude, etc. Who knows??

I think we should calm down and stop living in fantasy land. I have no doubt the club tried for a striker, is exploring options and the only reason we haven't is because the quality is not there.

Wenger is right about the January transfer window. It's a farce and an entertainment show. It seems some people want signings for the excitement rather than the practicalities of whats best for the club.

In fairness no one is asking for an amazing striker. We just need backup. Kolse would have been grand for me.

jonny666 wrote: »
    In fairness no one is asking for an amazing striker. We just need backup. Kolse would have been grand for me.

Ok and me too. How do you know Wenger has not tried for him and he is not for sale?

Fully agree with all this.
    I thought Berbatov was an obvious choice but we have to trust Wenger.

Even after signing Ozil I dont think anyone would have predicted how well the season would start. Ok we mightnt win anything but we are going toe to toe with two billionaires play things.

I dont think anyone is calling for a Giroud placement they are calling for a back up player incase he is injured. There are plenty of them that can be got

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm annoyed were second in the table in a title race

If we only bring in kalstorm that to me is wenger saying we won't win it this year lets stick with what we have go big I the summer and try again next year

We might not win it this year no matter who we bring in but have a go anyway it can't always be next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What has happened to Wenger's famous worldwide scouting network lads?

I dont think anyone is calling for a Giroud placement they are calling for a back up player incase he is injured. There are plenty of them that can be got

Like who? Names? And how do we know they have not tried. Clubs have the right to say no.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Like who? Names? And how do we know they have not tried. Clubs have the right to say no.

Bekenbauer said Manzukic is allowed to leave Bayern a week ago. Can't think of anyone else at a decent standard that might be available though bar Chicarito but don't think united would let us have him nor would Wenger be interested in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

What has happened to Wenger's famous worldwide scouting network lads?

It's sanogo

*runs*

as a back up? any centre forward out side the top 5/6 teams, another20/30 on the continent. Its lazier to say there are simply none out there

this is a back up we are looking for now a worldclass centre forward, for what its worth Berba/Klose would be accepible seen as they have been mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

FearDark wrote: »
    Saving this quote for when Giroud gets injured and you're crying for backup.

I would prefer to quote your negativity when we win the title, but I guess thats just me.

Also it looks like you would take some sort of joy and self gratification from being proved right and are almost hoping he gets injured??

as a back up? any centre forward out side the top 5/6 teams, another20/30 on the continent. Its lazier to say there are simply none out there

this is a back up we are looking for now a worldclass centre forward, for what its worth Berba/Klose would be accepible seen as they have been mentioned.

Agreed on Berbatov but I do understand why Wenger would have serious reservations.

Klose is 36 in 4 months time. What would you pay for him?

And to be straight I think lazy is a failure to identify the targets you say are there?

Who can you name is available that is substantially better than Bendtner?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Anyone in the world. Remember everyone is for sale at the right price. Except arsenal and Wenger in particular don't like to pay the price it takes. Arsene thinks he's down at the market on a Saturday haggling over prices. Same old story again for us and we'll end up winning f**k all because of it. No wonder they're begging him to sig a new contract. Penny pinching at its best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I would prefer to quote your negativity when we win the title, but I guess thats just me.

Also it looks like you would take some sort of joy and self gratification from being proved right and are almost hoping he gets injured??

Honestly shut up, your fanboys can thank that post all they want but I'm an Arsenal fan, I want us to win the league but we won't do it with the injuries/potential injuries we will get in the run in. At the rate we are dropping players combined with Giroud being the only decent option up front I say we need players. Argue your point instead of talking shit and assuming.

• Advertisement

Anyone else in here get frustrated on deadline day or is it just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Agreed on Berbatov but I do understand why Wenger would have serious reservations.

And to be straight I think lazy is a failure to identify the targets you say are there?

It reminds me of the new Nenagh by-pass Ted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Nope cool as a breeze every year :)

Anyone in the world. Remember everyone is for sale at the right price. Except arsenal and Wenger in particular don't like to pay the price it takes. Arsene thinks he's down at the market on a Saturday haggling over prices. Same old story again for us and we'll end up winning f**k all because of it. No wonder they're begging him to sig a new contract. Penny pinching at its best.

Precisely. So you would be happy to fire 50 million at someone like Jackson Martinez and sure we'l see how it goes. Sure if he doesnt score goals it wont matter. We can replace him in the summer and spend 50 million more....oh wait we cant. Because we are not City/Chelsea.

As I said earlier there is an illusion that we are minted now. We are minted relative to our previous position. If you look closely at the details we have a budget of circa 70 million a season.

Honestly shut up, your fanboys can thank that post all they want but I'm an Arsenal fan, I want us to win the league but we won't do it with the injuries/potential injuries we will get in the run in. At the rate we are dropping players combined with Giroud being the only decent option up front I say we need players. Argue your point instead of talking shit and assuming.

Well said. We've been patient for years while the club sold our best players to pay off the stadium. Now we've got money and we deserve a trophy. If Wenger is serious about winning he needs to get his act together.

Precisely. So you would be happy to fire 50 million at someone like Jackson Martinez and sure we'l see how it goes. Sure if he doesnt score goals it wont matter. We can replace him in the summer and spend 50 million more....oh wait we cant. Because we are not City/Chelsea.

As I said earlier there is an illusion that we are minted now. We are minted relative to our previous position. If you look closely at the details we have a budget of circa 70 million a season.

If that's the price fir quality then yes we should pay it. We might not be chelsea or city but we have enough to make one big signing every window and that would build our squad with quality.

• Advertisement

Well said. We've been patient for years while the club sold our best players to pay off the stadium. Now we've got money and we deserve a trophy. If Wenger is serious about winning he needs to get his act together.

He broke his transfer record by 3 times the previous one 5 months ago? He pulled off an amazing deal. Jesus just because we aren't signing someone in January sees lads completely lose the run of themselves. All we are getting off ye is 'there is someone out there' and an implication Wenger isnt trying. You don't have a clue whats been done??

I know this though - Nobody wants to win the PL more than Arsene Wenger. Absolutely no one. Coming in here you would think he was a secret Spurs agent trying to kill the clubs chances by subtle caution:confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not really, I like knowing that by this time tomorrow we'll have some new players or we won't. It's actually my favourite part of the window because regardless of what rumours we here we'll know whether they were bull**** or true by 11 tonight.

If that's the price fir quality then yes we should pay it. We might not be chelsea or city but we have enough to make one big signing every window and that would build our squad with quality.

Ok so you are saying we should splash out 50 million quid on a guy who has only scored goals in Portugal? Fair enough then. Hopefully you don't take the reins at the Emirates anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Källström.... ****ing Källström!! :mad:
    Wenger better have someone else in mind...

Thats a signing some mid-level team would make when they need a extra body. We're bloody challenging for the title FFS!! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Heard Arsenal are about to sign Kim Kallstrom? Used to always sign him in Pro Evo Master League, he was the business. Hope you get him and it works out.

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Källström.... ****ing Källström!! :mad:
    Wenger better have someone else in mind...

Thats a signing some mid-level team would make when they need a extra body. We're bloody challenging for the title FFS!! :mad:

It's essential cover on a loan deal for a midfield that is depleted. Practically 6 games. Not exciting but practical given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Perhaps Wenger thinks that no matter who we could get, there is little point at the moment, as Man City are favourites to win the league? So just hang in there and buy in the summer?

Kallstrom:

291659.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Perhaps Wenger thinks that no matter who we could get, there is little point at the moment, as Man City are favourites to win the league? So just hang in there and buy in the summer?

Well if he thinks that I wouldn't want him signing a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Kallstrom:

291659.jpg

We should snap up Pires and Henry as well :D

He's a stop-gap signing, no need to be losing it over this signing. We have a very solid midfield, it doesn't really need any new additions, unless a truly world class player becomes available. Even with the injuries we have, we can still put out a very formidable midfield. This lad is just there to cover until others are back fit. A decent backup to have.

What we really need is a striker of some sort. When Wenger said we had an 80% chance of getting someone I am hoping he was not referring to Källström.

Ah come on........... We will hopefully be back top on Sunday evening.

City still have to come to our place. We can win this thing.

Also had we signed Draxler I would say the majority in here would have been over the moon. I know I would as a statement of intent for the future.

Would we have had the same clamouring for a striker then?? I think it might have satisfied many yet he is not a striker and would not be used as one in the run in. No way would Wenger have played a 20 year old who has never played in that position there in place of Giroud.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Also had we signed Draxler I would say the majority in here would have been over the moon. I know I would as a statement of intent for the future.

Would we have had the same clamouring for a striker then?? I think it might have satisfied many yet he is not a striker and would not be used as one in the run in. No way would Wenger have played a 20 year old who has never played in that position there in place of Giroud.

This is true to a degree, as the signing of Özil in the summer took our eyes of the lack of a back up striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Hope they don't move United game, am heading to it.

Would be deligthed with Kim Kallstrom myself, big fan of his. Played in many major tournaments and can play deep. Great stop-gap sigining and nothing wrong with that; won't leave anything behind either. We don't need any developmental players in that position as far as I'm concerned.

I am convinced we need a little goal getter someone who can nab even 10 from now until the end. The chances will come like, that midfield will always put a few in your path.

Please Arsene, Giroud can only really play with his back to goal and shot on sight; which he does very well. Someone a little nippery. I even like B26formally52 but it's no use without a little nipper, Theo was a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Mitroglu of Olympiakos, he looks decent and I would say way better than Bendtner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Are you saying that Wenger has decided not to buy players as it is futile this season?!

Going to the races wouldn't be much craic with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wayne Veysey ‏@wayneveysey 6m
    After Ramsey blow, 1-choice #AFC target was Matuidi, who is extending PSG deal. 2 -choice Schneiderlin deemed too expensive. So, Kallstrom.

for whatever its worth..

Klose until end of season a couple of mil.

Maybe we are both being lazy me not naming names and you saying sure theres no one there, but come on do you really think there isnt a player a little better than Bendtner available? Even a player on par with him that would give us something if we get really stuck?

Anyway I do believe he will bring in something here by end of day, I just feel he really cant ignore it. On KK I am happy with that for the level of back up needed in midfield and its probably a good decision.

I just saw some guy say on twitter.... Arsenal have made a bid of 40m for someone..

Followed by....... yes I heard that too.

I need to get out more and stop following this crap

I assume bendtner will be gone in the summer anyway so mightnt be a bad idea.

SPANISH JOHNNY are you wenger in disguise. Getting very touchy with anyone questioning Wenger. Supporters want to see arsenal win trophies and not just have the best bank balance. Get a gril man. There are holes in the squad that he doesn't seem to be addressing and that's not good enough. Just like not winning a trophy for nine years isn't good enough. Wenger isn't as perfect as you think.

Last time I heard, even Eduardo was available and he has an unfinished job as well.

SPANISH JOHNNY are you wenger in disguise. Getting very touchy with anyone questioning Wenger. Supporters want to see arsenal win trophies and not just have the best bank balance. Get a gril man. There are holes in the squad that he doesn't seem to be addressing and that's not good enough. Just like not winning a trophy for nine years isn't good enough. Wenger isn't as perfect as you think.

But can you not wait a few more hours??

• Advertisement

Whats Jonjo Shelvey's contract situation lads?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement