Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

For the sake of a few months he would be better off the bench and as a second choice than Bendy and he knows a few of the lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

FearDark wrote: »
    Whats Jonjo Shelvey's contract situation lads?

Hopefully watertight and unbreakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

David Ornstein ‏@bbcsport_david 1h
    Kallstrom in London for medical & personal terms ahead of Arsenal loan move. #Afc unlikely to sign anyone else before deadline....

Come'on Wenger move ya arse....ffs

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

CatInABox wrote: »

We will be trolled to the end wont we...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Posted at 11:30am.................

Wenger already ruled that one out afterwards

that's a non-runner, Wenger has poured a tanker full of ice water on it....Nope No chance....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

AdamD wrote: »
    Posted at 11:30am.................

Wenger already ruled that one out afterwards

I am behind the times so. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Brilliant Tweet

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/429267565479596033

Poor old Frimgpong doesn't look happy!!

BfUQk4KCEAArgGD.jpg

I am behind the times so. Sorry.

Some of us have nothing better to do :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Honestly, I don't know much/anything about Kallstrom, but I do remember one of the last times Wenger brought someone in, who everyone in here thought was a "has been" and "not good enough" for Arsenal. His name was Benayoun and look how that turned out.

Welcome to the team Kallstrom! Please ignore all the BS that is going on today.

gandalf wrote: »
    Brilliant Tweet

https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/429267565479596033

Poor old Frimgpong doesn't look happy!!

BfUQk4KCEAArgGD.jpg

He should have added the picture of Ole Gunnar with Fabio where OGS doesn't look happy that he had to take this liability on board just to get Zaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i've no problem with kallstrom coming in. I just hoped for a bit more in terms of another option for Giroud.
    And I hoped for a bit-o-draxler.

However we still have a couple of hours to go.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

farna_boy wrote: »
    Honestly, I don't know much/anything about Kallstrom, but I do remember one of the last times Wenger brought someone in, who everyone in here thought was a "has been" and "not good enough" for Arsenal. His name was Benayoun and look how that turned out.

Welcome to the team Kallstrom! Please ignore all the BS that is going on today.

Fair point tbh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Latest lad we've been linked to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelle_Vossen

No real source just twitter nonsense.

Can't understand the level of meltdown myself. I can appreciate the frustration alright but I would agree that the whole market is inflated. This time last year we were frustrated Spurs beat us to signing Holtby. Today Holtby is gone to Fulham. Practically surplus to requirements. That's the danger with young players. Now imagine paying 37m for one whose stats haven't set the world alight this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

SPANISH JOHNNY are you wenger in disguise. Getting very touchy with anyone questioning Wenger. Supporters want to see arsenal win trophies and not just have the best bank balance. Get a gril man. There are holes in the squad that he doesn't seem to be addressing and that's not good enough. Just like not winning a trophy for nine years isn't good enough. Wenger isn't as perfect as you think.

I wish I was. I am an Arsenal man and I want to sign the best and I would love a good striker today. However I will not jump on a bandwagon and slate the best manager we have had in the modern era and accept that he is penny pinching and is not trying to improve the squad.

I have no doubt he is. I also have no doubt he is better at it than any of us here. I also know he will not do something rash and silly just to keep keyboard warriors like you and I happy.

I know he is not perfect. He drives me up the walls at times to be honest. However he is a fantastic manager that we are blessed to have. Now maybe you grew up during the era where success has become everything and opposition fans have drilled into your head '9 years no trophy' craic but some of us see the realities.

This Club and it's manager took a visionary and brave decision to build a new stadium at a time when we were successful. It do so to cement the long term future of the club. It sacrificed a 5-10 year period of almost guaranteed success in order to build a sustainable long term future for the Club and us as fans. We could have stayed in Highbury bought a little bigger maybe won a Champions League and another PL or two. However if we did we would be below where Liverpool are now. Through it all our manager stuck with us when he could have gone to the big two in Spain.

No other manager in the world IMO would:

a) have stayed
    b) kept us in the top four

He had to build a 'youth team' in the guise of a project in order to justify selling top players. Why? Because the fact was he was forced to sell given our financial restraints. He did a super PR job of maintaining us as a big club in this time and pretending we were ambitious when under a lot of restrictions.

So never forget any of that. Ya no trophy in 9 years. Guaranteed massive future for Arsenal because of him and his sacrifice. Everything should be judged in context. Would Mourinho have done what Wenger did.

a) he wouldn't have stayed a year
    b) there is no b - he wouldn't have stayed a year money or no money

So apologies if I defend him on this. He also spent 42 million 5 months ago when quality was available. I believe he will do so in the summer again. I refuse to get into a hissy fit on a Sky hyped deadline day that is more about entertainment that football and has people losing the run of themselves just because their club is not at the centre of some huge transfer coup for the sake of it.

I wish I was. I am an Arsenal man and I want to sign the best and I would love a good striker today. However I will not jump on a bandwagon and slate the best manager we have had in the modern era and accept that he is penny pinching and is not trying to improve the squad.

I have no doubt he is. I also have no doubt he is better at it than any of us here. I also know he will not do something rash and silly just to keep keyboard warriors like you and I happy.

I know he is not perfect. He drives me up the walls at times to be honest. However he is a fantastic manager that we are blessed to have. Now maybe you grew up during the era where success has become everything and opposition fans have drilled into your head '9 years no trophy' craic but some of us see the realities.

This Club and it's manager took a visionary and brave decision to build a new stadium at a time when we were successful. It do so to cement the long term future of the club. It sacrificed a 5-10 year period of almost guaranteed success in order to build a sustainable long term future for the Club and us as fans. We could have stayed in Highbury bought a little bigger maybe won a Champions League and another PL or two. However if we did we would be below where Liverpool are now. Through it all our manager stuck with us when he could have gone to the big two in Spain.

a) have stayed

He had to build a 'youth team' in the guise of a project in order to justify selling top players. Why? Because the fact was he was forced to sell given our financial restraints. He did a super PR job of maintaining us as a big club in this time and pretending we were ambitious when under a lot of restrictions.

So never forget any of that. Ya no trophy in 9 years. Guaranteed massive future for Arsenal because of him and his sacrifice. Everything should be judged in context. Would Mourinho have done what Wenger did.

So apologies if I defend him on this. He also spent 42 million 5 months ago when quality was available. I believe he will do so in the summer again. I refuse to get into a hissy fit on a Sky hyped deadline day that is more about entertainment that football and has people losing the run of themselves just because their club is not at the centre of some huge transfer coup for the sake of it.

Take a bow son. Super post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

People are pissed off based in their hopes, not anything that actually made sense.

40 million for Drx would have been insane.

Replacing Giroud now would be silly.

There aren't a lot of available strikers that can come in.

Nearly all players take 6 months anyway to produce anything decent.

These are truths that people should keep in mind when going on rants about Wenger and throwing away the league.

Really really dissappointed with the stuff I've been hearing from arsenal fans for the last week. It's like a load of people are just waiting to pounce at the first slip up.

a) have stayed

Am I not allowed agree with 99% of this but still think a back up striker is of utmost importance?

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Am I not allowed agree with 99% of this but still think a back up striker is of utmost importance?

You are! I agree! But I don't want one for the sake of one that isnt a much better option than Bendtner and I have little doubt Arsenal are looking for this criteria but not finding. That's all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

great post

Paying big money doesn't always get you success. Where is Arshavin, Jeffers or Reyes now? Luckily we paid Reyes fee in installments.

Paying big money doesn't always get you success. Where is Arshavin, Jeffers or Reyes now? Luckily we paid Reyes fee in installments.

Just being devil's advocate here but Reyes helped our title push big time the season we signed him, not that we probably wouldn't have won it without him or anything. He never recovered after that day in Old trafford though, up until then he was great. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

You are! I agree! But I don't want one for the sake of one that isnt a much better option than Bendtner and I have little doubt Arsenal are looking for this criteria but not finding. That's all.:)

I have never met a gunner who thought finding better than bendtner would be difficult.

I agree with Adam D your post above is spot on, but a striker is so badly needed its beyond reason if we dont get one, although I feel we will.

I'm going to bring home the cans and order the chinese and wait and see who it is

And If I may add, Arshavin got us into the champions league that season, he failed because he can't play upfront on his own. That's were he lost his confidence.

a) have stayed

On top of all of this, he took the brunt of the scorn over the lean years, even the board were directing any criticisms that they got in his direction.

All through the lean years, the board kept the fans onside by saying that there was money there for transfers, if only Arsene wanted to use it. We now know that that was pure bulls**t. Only this year, the board are now making reference to how the lean times are over, how there's money falling out of their pockets, when previously, there was no finance problem according to them.

As an example of how cash strapped Arsenal were during the lean times, take a look at the Highbury Development, where Arsenal had to take a 10% write down on a large section of the property, just so they could sell it quickly to get liquidity in. This is in the London property market, where there's no need to sell low if you don't need to.

Throughout all this, Arsene took the heat and never really complained about it. To me, that shows that it was a plan by Arsene and the Board, to keep the fans angry with Arsene and not with Arsenal.

So I think that Arsene knows what he is doing.

In saying that, I do want a major signing, either now or in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Can't understand the level of meltdown myself. I can appreciate the frustration alright but I would agree that the whole market is inflated. This time last year we were frustrated Spurs beat us to signing Holtby. Today Holtby is gone to Fulham. Practically surplus to requirements. That's the danger with young players. Now imagine paying 37m for one whose stats haven't set the world alight this season

I dont think thats the reason for the "meltdown". We badly need a striker. As of today we've has 2 windows, or 3 months, and nothing has been done. Its frustrating to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

One thing this window proves is that the papers haven't a clue really

Kalstorm was mentioned in any paper yesterday

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    I have never met a gunner who thought finding better than bendtner would be difficult.

I agree with Adam D your post above is spot on, but a striker is so badly needed its beyond reason if we dont get one, although I feel we will.

I'm going to bring home the cans and order the chinese and wait and see who it is

I have always had a soft spot for the lunatic for some reason. I probably rate him higher than others do here so that probably colours my judgement:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

And If I may add, Arshavin got us into the champions league that season, he failed because he can't play upfront on his own. That's were he lost his confidence.

did he not actually do alright playing there?

being played out wide was probably his biggest reason for not giving a fúck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'm not really bothered that we won't get Draxler.
    But if we don't sign/loan a decent backup striker then i'd be pretty annoyed.

We've a chance to win the BPL and I don't want us to lose that chance because we couldn't find a backup striker.

On top of all of this, he took the brunt of the scorn over the lean years, even the board were directing any criticisms that they got in his direction.

All through the lean years, the board kept the fans onside by saying that there was money there for transfers, if only Arsene wanted to use it. We now know that that was pure bulls**t. Only this year, the board are now making reference to how the lean times are over, how there's money falling out of their pockets, when previously, there was no finance problem according to them.

As an example of how cash strapped Arsenal were during the lean times, take a look at the Highbury Development, where Arsenal had to take a 10% write down on a large section of the property, just so they could sell it quickly to get liquidity in. This is in the London property market, where there's no need to sell low if you don't need to.

Throughout all this, Arsene took the heat and never really complained about it. To me, that shows that it was a plan by Arsene and the Board, to keep the fans angry with Arsene and not with Arsenal.

So I think that Arsene knows what he is doing.

In saying that, I do want a major signing, either now or in the summer.

Hear hear.

These are some of the actual realities that don't get aired enough IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph 41s
    No change at Arsenal...Kim Kallstrom to be only signing unless there are unexpected changes. No push for Klose

Looks like that it. Not surprised but a little disappointed were not bringing in another striker.

Welcome to Arsenal Kim!

Lads this deadline day thing is becoming some laugh. Harry is hanging out the car window again and Jim White is being elevated to the status of a Beatle or something. They even had a piece of him entering the studios this afternoon. All it was missing was sunglasses, bad hair and screaming girls!

Im worse to be checking in on it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Hear, hear to the earlier post Johnny.

Gone very quiet, I think Kallstrom is all we'll be getting. So we can get back to normal and talk about the Palace match now right? :pac:

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Gone very quiet, I think Kallstrom is all we'll be getting. So we can get back to normal and talk about the Palace match now right? :pac:

Would he be eligible for Sunday?? Doubtful?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

gosplan wrote: »
    People are pissed off based in their hopes, not anything that actually made sense.

40 million for Drx would have been insane.

Replacing Giroud now would be silly.

There aren't a lot of available strikers that can come in.

Nearly all players take 6 months anyway to produce anything decent.

These are truths that people should keep in mind when going on rants about Wenger and throwing away the league.

Really really dissappointed with the stuff I've been hearing from arsenal fans for the last week. It's like a load of people are just waiting to pounce at the first slip up.

This
    Ive noticed a few posters here that only seem to whinge and moan and only post during the transfer window...

Hope Kim is registered to play on Sunday stick him in get him some playing time before the rough run of fixtures start

• Advertisement

Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph 3m
    Arsenal's thinking goes s'thing like this (1/2): Only ever looking for a striker better than Giroud/Bendtner unless injuries changed things

Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph 1m
    (2/2): Walcott injury didn't change that due to options on right. M'field became short-term issue. They just want Draxler whenever they can

My guess would be that Wenger has a lot more faith in Bendtner than he did in August

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Just being devil's advocate here but Reyes helped our title push big time the season we signed him, not that we probably wouldn't have won it without him or anything. He never recovered after that day in Old trafford though, up until then he was great. :(

That's a fair point but it was a fact he never adapted to the physicality thereafter OT made him a bit of a flop in the long term side of things

Again fair point but both were bought as long term investments and didn't justify their cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Did Kallstrom actually sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Off topic.. was just talking about it with a guy in work as Kallstrom came up in conversation

Do you pronounce player names as they would be in their native language? ie do you say it like "Chellstrom"?

I feel like I should, but I also feel like a tit when doing it for some reason. Reminds me of Jonathan Pearce who goes out of his way to sound like he's from their bloody neighbourhood every time he says a foreign player's name. "Maraylesh".

Squad is weaker now than it was at the start of January

Let's just pray that giroud stays fit

I have always had a soft spot for the lunatic for some reason. I probably rate him higher than others do here so that probably colours my judgement:)

I think that the best description I heard about Bendtners was:

"He's nowhere near as bad as people think he is, but he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is."

He seems to have sorted out his "over-confidence" problem anyway, or at least I think so...

Would he be eligible for Sunday?? Doubtful?

Yeah I think the noon on the Friday is normally the cut off point regardless of whether the game is Saturday, Sunday or Monday. It's noon on the eve of a gameweek

Again fair point but both were bought as long term investments and didn't justify their cost

He had a good first 12 months and would say re-paid half of the fee we paid for him by getting us into Champions League. I'm sure if we had played him behind the striker all the time, he would've been a great hit as he was with Russia, when we signed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

maximoose wrote: »
    I feel like I should, but I also feel like a tit when doing it for some reason. Reminds me of Jonathan Pearce who goes out of his way to sound like he's from their bloody neighbourhood every time he says a foreign player's name. "Maraylesh".

Haha, had completely forgotten about that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement