Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Jaafa wrote: »
    Sky sports news saying Draxler deal is "in the offing".

https://vine.co/v/Mubp2wuAtOY

Stop stop!! I have work to do this week. Can't be loitering around the thread hitting refresh like a mad man a la Ozil and the United crew with Mata:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

5 days left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jaafa wrote: »
    Sky sports news saying Draxler deal is "in the offing".

https://vine.co/v/Mubp2wuAtOY

Anything concrete or just the usual sky sports talk?

would love another big signing this window, could help give us that extra bit of boost in the final few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

9GIkgGh.png

Stop stop!! I have work to do this week. Can't be loitering around the thread hitting refresh like a mad man a la Ozil and the United crew with Mata:D:D

Having watched the youtube vids of this fella im absolutely salivating at the thoughts of him wearing the Arsenal jersey and ripping up defences. This player is the missing piece. Super super talent. Energy, Presence, Quick change of feet, speed, confidence - the guy has everything. Still young and raw but Wenger could turn him into a beast.

blueser wrote: »
    Tough set of fixtures you lot have coming up in the next couple of months;

LFC (a)
    ManU (h)
    LFC (h)
    Bayern (h)
    Bayern (a)
    Spurs (a)
    Chelsea (a)
    ManCity (h)
    Everton (a)

According to Mourinho we're handpicking our fixtures :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

According to Mourinho we're handpicking our fixtures :rolleyes:

Every day that passes people see him for what he really is.

Having watched the youtube vids of this fella im absolutely salivating at the thoughts of him wearing the Arsenal jersey and ripping up defences. This player is the missing piece. Super super talent. Energy, Presence, Quick change of feet, speed, confidence - the guy has everything. Still young and raw but Wenger could turn him into a beast.

Any idea how pacy he is? Might sound silly but just seems from what I have seen that it's his brilliant technical ability that stands out. Id like more pace in our team.

Any idea how pacy he is? Might sound silly but just seems from what I have seen that it's his brilliant technical ability that stands out. Id like more pace in our team.

Not Walcott speed... Think Schurrle.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Not Walcott speed... Think Schurrle.

Deadly thanks. I don't think anyone that size could have Walcott's pace! Just wasn't able to tell from all I have seen of him. Imagine he is pretty explosive anyway.

• Advertisement

Deadly thanks. I don't think anyone that size could have Walcott's pace! Just wasn't able to tell from all I have seen of him. Imagine he is pretty explosive anyway.

He is a player that can take the opposition out of the game which buys him a yard equivalent to a yard Walcott would sprint so therefore he is probably virtually as fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

9GIkgGh.png

Every time I see this, it makes me really happy.

I love that man so much.

Should we go for Coleman in the summer? i honestly believe he is tailor made for Arsenal. Good to defend and a rocket on the overlap. Wenger's type of player. Looking like Sagna is doubtful on the contract extension. We are also linked with the Frankfurt right back albeit goal.com being the most reliable source atm.

Can we not keep Podolski and also get Draxler?
    I like the old Pod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That's bad information. A caller asked could it happen, it wasn't reported.

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 6m
    Sky Sports Germany have NOT reported a Draxler - Podolski swap. It was a question posed in a phone-in show

Raphael Honigstein ‏@honigstein 2m
    And by the way: very hard to see Podolski ever agreeing a move to Schalke. #Köln #fanatic
    Expand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I love Podolski and want to keep him, but Draxler is an upgrade so I wouldnt be against that move. I'd rather both but if we can only have one...

Nothing to see, move along :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

EDIT EDIT EDIT :D

I like the old Pod.

Ludicrous to get rid of Podolski when we are very short of strikers. Putting things into perspective here is it sensible from Mr Wenger to pay cash plus a German international for a young lad? Wenger for some bizarre reason just doesnt rate Pod who has a terrific goals to games ratio this season. :( Crazy Crazy stuff.

EDIT: Looks like its BS but i really hope Wenger doesnt sell Pod and play him more often.

Ludicrous to get rid of Podolski when we are very short of strikers. Putting things into perspective here is it sensible from Mr Wenger to pay cash plus a German international for a young lad? Wenger for some bizarre reason just doesnt rate Pod who has a terrific goals to games ratio this season. :( Crazy Crazy stuff.

Agree.
    Everytime i see Podolski on the ball I feel something is going to happen and it usually does. He should definitely get more game-time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I like the old Pod.

Maybe we should wait till the Summer then. Draxler has the talent to be a star for years to come but Podolski is the finished product. Can we really afford to lose his goal scoring ability now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Should we go for Coleman in the summer? i honestly believe he is tailor made for Arsenal. Good to defend and a rocket on the overlap. Wenger's type of player. Looking like Sagna is doubtful on the contract extension. We are also linked with the Frankfurt right back albeit goal.com being the most reliable source atm.

Yes yes yes please

Thats good news.
    Podolski has been vital for team spirit... Or so i'm told :pac:

Thats good news.

I felt that with 5 mins to go and Pod on a hat-trick that Wenger should have perhaps left him on the other night. I mean Giroud needs a break and Pod needs game time so what on earth was Wenger's problem? :confused: I mean he practically turned the game for us at West Ham and then suffered the indignity of Bendtner being brought on ahead of him the next game. Its crazy. He scored an incredible 16 goals last season which is a decent return for a first season in English football and at that he was majorly second choice to Giroud. This year he has nearly scored in every game he was involved in. Wenger brought him on in the 92nd minute against Aston Villa to play him right back because Sagna(iirc) had gone off injured . Ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I felt that with 5 mins to go and Pod on a hat-trick that Wenger should have perhaps left him on the other night. I mean Giroud needs a break and Pod needs game time so what on earth was Wenger's problem? :confused: I mean he practically turned the game for us at West Ham and then suffered the indignity of Bendtner being brought on ahead of him the next game. Its crazy. He scored an incredible 16 goals last season which is a decent return for a first season in English football and at that he was majorly second choice to Giroud. This year he has nearly scored in every game he was involved in. Wenger brought him on in the 92nd minute against Aston Villa to play him right back because Sagna(iirc) had gone off injured . Ridiculous.

Podolski has said that he still doesn't feel back to 100% after the injury, so would say Wenger just wasn't going to risk playing him the full 90.

dvemail wrote: »
    Podolski has said that he still doesn't feel back to 100% after the injury, so would say Wenger just wasn't going to risk playing him the full 90.

Thats fair enough if Pod is genuinely happy about the situation. Tbh so long as Wenger is willing to utilise him it would be great to have him fresh for the run in and actually a fit again Diaby could have his uses if necessary.

Wouldnt it just cap it off nicely if Diaby could come back somewhat, make at least ten appearances, make somewhat of a sterling contribution and get a Premier league medal at the end of it? Great footballer but just so so unfortunate with injury.

• Advertisement

Thats good news.

Great great character. Always seems to have a smile on his face. A must for all football clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Thats fair enough if Pod is genuinely happy about the situation. Tbh so long as Wenger is willing to utilise him it would be great to have him fresh for the run in and actually a fit again Diaby could have his uses if necessary.

Wouldnt it just cap it off nicely if Diaby could come back somewhat, make at least ten appearances, make somewhat of a sterling contribution and get a Premier league medal at the end of it? Great footballer but just so so unfortunate with injury.

I think the club can request a medal for injured players who didnt play the 10 games.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I think the club can request a medal for injured players who didnt play the 10 games.

And that would be good but it would be even better for Diaby as a player not only could he win a medal but it could actually take on more meaning if he could manage to make a solid contribution to the cause. Tbf chances are he probably wont be matchfit but still it would make for a nice story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I also think Coleman would be a great addition to the squad. Im not a big fan of Jenkinson, and I think its likely that Sanga will join one of the French giants in the summer window.

I won't believe Diaby is back until he completes a game for us.
    Great player but so injury prone it's unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I also think Coleman would be a great addition to the squad. Im not a big fan of Jenkinson, and I think its likely that Sanga will join one of the French giants in the summer window.

Hasn't Wenger been saying Sagna's very close to signing a new contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Hasn't Wenger been saying Sagna's very close to signing a new contract?

no he's implied that they're close to new deals on Per and Rosicky, but not close on Sagna.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    no he's implied that they're close to new deals on Per and Rosicky, but not close on Sagna.

Ill always consider Bac to be an Arsenal legend no matter what happens. I get the impression he'll be one of these players like Pires and Henry that will stay close to the club when he retires. Been here since 07 and he never once cribbed or asked to leave. What sums up the man is the colossal performance he gave at centre half up in Sunderland last year. It lifted the club at a time when the club was getting hammered at all fronts. There was severe doubt as to whether we would even come fourth at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I won't believe Diaby is back until he completes a game for us.
    Great player but so injury prone it's unbelievable.

Might sound mean, but I don't want Diaby any where near our midfield this season.We can't carry him anymore.

His whole game typifies what was wrong with ous for years.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Might sound mean, but I don't want Diaby any where near our midfield this season.We can't carry him anymore.

His whole game typifies what was wrong with ous for years.

He probably wont be match fit. Genuinely super player when match fit but he was never the same player since the Dan Smith tackle back in 2006.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Still can't believe when people discount our younger players out of hand. Jenkinson did very well for us last year when we needed him to. Yes, he was dodgy at times, but a lot of that is just down to experience and even this year when he was given one or two games, people expect him to start at his peak or even at Sagna level but that will take time. Other younger players who faced the same type of criticism have been Ramsey and Szczesny and look how they have performed this year.

That follows on to my next fear. If we did manage to sign Draxler, either now or in the summer, I can only imagine the meltdown some people will have if the doesn't score 20 goals in his first outing. If he, or any other similar player, pretty much regardless of age does come in, people should expect a bedding in time to adapt to our style of play, the english game and to get used to the players around them.

If we do sign someone, we probably won't see the best of them for a few months and until then we should do everything to keep Pod and Giroud happy. In fact for this very reason it may be best to wait until the summer, our team is balanced and happy now and bringing in a replacement for one of out first team players could damage that and our chances in every competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I actually think pace is the one area Draxler is lacking a little bit, he is not slow, but he is nowhere near as fast as Henry, Kaka, Ronaldo etc were at his age, they were able to knock a ball past any defender and race onto it.

I have never seen Draxler do that, it's always a trick, dummy, feint etc.

Never do you see him drop the shoulder and leave a defender for dead like we saw Kaka/Henry do for years.

I haven't seen Walcott do it for a few years as well, for all his pace it drives me crazy that he never tries it, Bale is brillant at it.

If we do sign Draxler, I hope people aren't expecting Henry MKII, because he is totally different.More of a Rivaldo type imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Gotta say, I like Jenkinson too. He'll make mistakes but he's has to learn some how. He is not a bad back up to have at all I think. He's prob as likely to make a mistake as Rafael from United or someone like that. He's still fairly young. If Sanga left I don't know would he be ready to take over next year. Suppose it's a decision Wenger will have to make in the summer. Really hope Sanga stays tho. Still has a lot to offer. He's hardly ever injured either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

bad2dabone wrote: »

http://metro.co.uk/2014/01/17/per-mertesacker-and-bacary-sagna-set-to-sign-new-arsenal-contracts-says-arsene-wenger-4266746/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

• Advertisement

Bendtner for the run in :D
    2014%2F1%2FTop-7-Clubs.jpg

If you take away pens I wonder what Soldado's conversion rate would be. Less than 5 % ?

greendom wrote: »
    If you take away pens I wonder what Soldado's conversion rate would be. Less than 5 % ?

2.5%

inc. pens
    44 shots, 5 goals = 5/.44 = 11.3636...

ex. pens
    40 shots, 1 goal = 1/.4 = 2.5

72 shots girouds' took if anyone's interested

Ramsey, Vermaelen and Arteta available for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I forgot all about playing Southampton this week. Liverpool are on tv so I guess its streams for us.

Delighted to have those 3 back fit. Squad is looking strong again.

I'm hearing that Wilshere may be a doubt though. He did take a bit of a knock on Friday. Surprised he carried on after it Tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

greendom wrote: »
    I'm hearing that Wilshere may be a doubt though. He did take a bit of a knock on Friday. Surprised he carried on after it Tbh.

I think it was pre-planned by Wenger to play Wilshere for 90 mins and then rest him for the mid-week game, as he knew the trio will be available for this game

I think it was pre-planned by Wenger to play Wilshere for 90 mins and then rest him for the mid-week game, as he knew the trio will be available for this game

No need to as aggreviate an injury tho, when playing against League 1 opposition. And in an ideal World you would start players returning from injury on the bench.

one of the papers has a story on man city being interested in Sagna, they're also saying he being offered nearly double what arsenal are offering him by clubs in europe - monaco & galatasary i think

sebastian jung of Eintracht Frankfurt is being linked with a move, he's an RB and that's all i know about him, J.A Fjortoft reckons great lad/player, big talent though likely to stay until the summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

batistuta9 wrote: »
    one of the papers has a story on man city being interested in Sagna, they're also saying he being offered nearly double what arsenal are offering him by clubs in europe - monaco & galatasary i think

sebastian jung of Eintracht Frankfurt is being linked with a move, he's an RB and that's all i know about him, J.A Fjortoft reckons great lad/player, big talent though likely to stay until the summer

They seem to be looking for a new left back too. Richards isnt cutting it for them. Id be sickened seeing Sanga go to City. We should refuse to deal with them and sell him overseas. The days of us selling to rivals should be over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement