Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

FearDark wrote: »
    Transfers need to be taken out of wengers hands. That's disgraceful. AGAIN!

the board should decide who we buy thats a great system spurs are proof of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Transfers need to be taken out of wengers hands. That's disgraceful. AGAIN!

Just NO! When a board starts to undermine the manager thats when it all starts to go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Wenger losing the plot i think. People on here backed him yesterday but to knowingly bring in an injured player as cover during such an important part of the season is a disgrace. that man needs his head examined.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

How can anyone honestly defend signing an injured player?!? Especially signing an injured player....to cover for injuries.

I'm not talking about the board, I'm talking about Wenger pointing out the players he wants and letting someone else go and get them. The decision to buy should be wengers and wengers alone but the man needs help, he can't do it all on his own. Honestly signing Kallstrom is a pure disgrace. A total shambells of a window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

things could be worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

jonny666 wrote: »
    things could be worse

To be honest I don't really care about them and its almost boring at this stage. Let them implode, they deserve it.

I care more about the needs in our team being neglected and a good shot at the league being sacrificed by somebody on the transfer side making a balls of another window. If it's true that we knowingly signed an injured player the club should be ashamed of themselves.

When the history books are written on this season they will say we had a great chance to win the league until a January blunder signing of an injured 31 year old ended any chance of winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Flamini and Wilshere going to be the only fit/ not suspended central midfielders for Bayern at home, that one could get ugly if one of them gets hurt between now and then.

keano_afc wrote: »
    To be honest I don't really care about them and its almost boring at this stage. Let them implode, they deserve it.

I care more about the needs in our team being neglected and a good shot at the league being sacrificed by somebody on the transfer side making a balls of another window. If it's true that we knowingly signed an injured player the club should be ashamed of themselves.

Hold on a second. No one is sacrificing the league. We have been top all season with the squad. Its not like we sold Ozil and Ramsey. Buying an injured player is very strange. I cant work out the thinking behind it but cop on and stop being such a drama queen. We are right up there. Some cover for midfield injuries was nice but it was a striker we needed. So this guy being injured makes no difference. If you are mad at something be mad that we didnt buy a striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

When the history books are written on this season they will say we had a great chance to win the league until a January blunder signing of an injured 31 year old ended any chance of winning it.

Or maybe Arsenal win the league.... What then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just as long as you have someone to blame.

Sure isn't that what support is all about.

symbolic wrote: »
    Or maybe Arsenal win the league.... What then?

I absolutely hope I'm made to eat my words.

gosplan wrote: »
    Just as long as you have someone to blame.

Sure isn't that what support is all about.

There comes a point where you have to stop defending the undefendable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Its funny because we all wanted to sign the injured Draxler :pac:

However I don't understand this transfer at all, even if its only 6 games, he'll be useless then anyway as Jack and Flamini will be back.

How can anyone honestly defend signing an injured player?!? Especially signing an injured player....to cover for injuries.

I'm not talking about the board, I'm talking about Wenger pointing out the players he wants and letting someone else go and get them. The decision to buy should be wengers and wengers alone but the man needs help, he can't do it all on his own. Honestly signing Kallstrom is a pure disgrace. A total shambells of a window.

Didn't you say it was a disgrace we didn't sign the injured Draxler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I love this club and it's mysterious ways.

There comes a point where you have to stop defending the undefendable.

Whatever. It's all a disgrace. Enjoy

Whatever. It's all a disgrace. Enjoy

Ok, tell me why it's ok to sign an injured player or why it's ok not to strengthen our squad given our current situation instead of throwing your toys out of the pram.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Hold on a second. No one is sacrificing the league. We have been top all season with the squad. Its not like we sold Ozil and Ramsey. Buying an injured player is very strange. I cant work out the thinking behind it but cop on and stop being such a drama queen. We are right up there. Some cover for midfield injuries was nice but it was a striker we needed. So this guy being injured makes no difference. If you are mad at something be mad that we didnt buy a striker

Of course I'm mad we didn't sign a striker, that's kind of my point. We had a whole month to find a viable option or foil to Giroud and the sum total of our efforts is an injured midfielder who can't play for at least a month. Is that acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

wanting to sign an injured draxler isn't the same as wanting to sign an injured kalstrom in fairness

• Advertisement

I'm sure Wenger knows what he's doing. Everyone relax :) He's got this. :)

If you guys don't win the league this year it won't be due to lack of want and desire from Wenger, I'd say there's no one who wants it more to be honest. And he has proved in the past that he knows how to get it.

Go on the Arsenal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Lads go out and enjoy your Saturday. Have a pint, hug a loved one but let's not get worked up over a 31 year old squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

batistuta9 wrote: »
    wanting to sign an injured draxler isn't the same as wanting to sign an injured kalstrom in fairness

Yeah, one is a £37,000,000 gamble, the other costs next to nothing.

I'm more annoyed at fans being OK with this. It's like ye are used to being second or third best, in case you haven't noticed we've been top most of this season, this is our chance, we just ****ed it up with not buying a striker, it's not even buying an injured Kallstrom or not buying Draxler. Looks like we didn't even try for a striker. And that seems to be grand. Shur grand we'll try again next year.

Of course I'm mad we didn't sign a striker, that's kind of my point. We had a whole month to find a viable option or foil to Giroud and the sum total of our efforts is an injured midfielder who can't play for at least a month. Is that acceptable?

Is it possible that maybe Wenger has made the right decision and you may be underestimating what is involved in it all?

Although bare in mind I don't know what credentials you have when it comes to such issues :) so maybe you do have one up on Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

KK wit back injury #⃣middle aged crock

in case you haven't noticed we've been top most of this season, this is our chance,

Would this not be kind of proof that Arsenal have enough to see out the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

batistuta9 wrote: »

Draxler wasn't injured.
    He'd have been back within a few days.

Yeah, one is a £37,000,000 gamble, the other costs next to nothing.

that's exactly it, 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I'm more annoyed at fans being OK with this. It's like ye are used to being second or third best, in case you haven't noticed we've been top most of this season, this is our chance, we just ****ed it up with not buying a striker, it's not even buying an injured Kallstrom or not buying Draxler. Looks like we didn't even try for a striker. And that seems to be grand. Shur grand we'll try again next year.

As someone noted yesterday this thread is gone to the dogs lately with people completely losing the run of themselves and the glory hunters coming out en masse to slate Wenger. Ridiculous. Thank god this transfer window is closed.

And can people please stop consistently posting crap about not trying for a striker.

We were in for Klose, Cisse and Kalou and thats what we know of. So stop spouting rubbish that nothing was done.

Dont rate any of the 3 above ahead of Bendtner and I include the 35 year old Klose in that.

We are in a great position, good squad and great manager. We wont win the PL because City are way better than us and thats no shame buy wel fight and enjoy the ride and be a stronger force for it.

symbolic wrote: »
    Would this not be kind of proof that Arsenal have enough to see out the league?

Absolutely, I'm just thinking what if Giroud gets injured. I'd have liked an option up front too. I hope he lasts the whole season.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Draxler wasn't injured.
    He'd have been back within a few days.

a week or two, no?

anyway the point was you can't compare people being OK with signing an injured draxler to being píssed off at signing kalstrom because he's carrying an injury too

You seemed to be talking about KK.

Not getting cover for Giroud was criminal il agree.

I apologise for calling you a drama queen tho. My bad!

As someone noted yesterday this thread is gone to the dogs lately with people completely losing the run of themselves and the glory hunters coming out en masse to slate Wenger. Ridiculous. Thank god this transfer window is closed.

And can people please stop consistently posting crap about not trying for a striker.

We were in for Klose, Cisse and Kalou and thats what we know of. So stop spouting rubbish that nothing was done.

Dont rate any of the 3 above ahead of Bendtner and I include the 35 year old Klose in that.

We are in a great position, good squad and great manager. We wont win the PL because City are way better than us and thats no shame buy wel fight and enjoy the ride and be a stronger force for it.

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'm a fairl positive poster, and initially had no issues with the Kalstrom deal apart from the fact that i would have liked another striker and feel that we should be in a position to throw our weight around a little more in the market than we do.

However, if it was known that Kalstrom would be out for 6 games when he was signed then as fans we're entitled to an explanation as to why we signed an injured player as cover for injured players.
    Because to me, this seems bizarre at best and a bit of a joke at worst.

• Advertisement

Ok, tell me why it's ok to sign an injured player or why it's ok not to strengthen our squad given our current situation instead of throwing your toys out of the pram.

1: twitter rumour. Again, I'll point out double standards from anyone who was annoyed Draxler wasn't signed. Who knows though. How injured was he? How important is he to Wenger's plans.

What I do know is this. It's not a reason to take transfers out of Wenger's hands as you seem to want to do.

2: all we needed was a striker and I'm guessing that we couldn't find one. Neither could Chelsea btw.

Listen, I don't mean to argue with you but you just seem to be chomping at the bit to point out how badly things are done at arsenal.

We've been AMAZING over the last few windows.

Look at what we've lost and look at how strong and almost complete our squad is.

But you say stuff like 'Wenger has failed miserably yet again'

I just don't understand that at all.

Jesus Christ.

What was wrong with that post. Thought it was spot on. Look at this transfer window. No one got players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Anyway, when we win nothing again this year, we can all blame Wenger? We apparently missed out on klose at the last minute. It a serious oversight by Wenger IMO, and getting a striker could have made all the difference in getting a trophy this season.

If Giroud gets injured I wonder where you will all be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i'm a fairl positive poster, and initially had no issues with the Kalstrom deal apart from the fact that i would have liked another striker and feel that we should be in a position to throw our weight around a little more in the market than we do.

However, if it was known that Kalstrom would be out for 6 games when he was signed then as fans we're entitled to an explanation as to why we signed an injured player as cover for injured players.
    Because to me, this seems bizarre at best and a bit of a joke at worst.

This really, the whole situation is odd and should be explained. Personally I think the wheels were in motion and Wenger decided to go ahead at the risk of getting no one at all, if we get to the last 6/8 games and this guy comes in and plays his part then some will say it was a good call. Truth is without explanation we won't know what happened here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

You must be a great supporter. Throwing your toys out of the pram because Wenger didnt go out and spend £40m or £50m just because?

I'd have liked Draxler too, but his release clause isnt active until the Summer. We were never going to get a reasonable price when they could hold out until the summer and get the release clause fee.

We were also linked to at least two or three strikers, and those are only the ones that got reported on. There was not a single report of Kallstrom before it was done.
    What was wrong with that post. Thought it was spot on. Look at this transfer window. No one got players.

On top of that, Chelsea are also in need of a striker and couldnt find anyone with near infinite resources. What chance do we have on a budget? A lot dont seem able to comprehend the fact that nobody worth signing was available. Dont believe me? Why didnt Chelsea sign a striker they obviously need? There arent any.

And if he doesnt? Why always the negative?

Do people continually like to pretend Bendtner is no longer at the club?

We've been AMAZING over the last few windows.

I don't think we've been amazing, i think you're being too generous there. we've been ok.

season 11/12 we got in

Carl Jenkinson - okay
    Gervinho - failure
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - hit
    Joel Campbell - unknown - probably wont make it
    Park Chu-Young - massive failure
    André Santos - massive failure
    Mikel Arteta - big hit
    Per Mertesacker - massive hit
    Thomas Eisfeld - probably wont make it

We let go:
    Fabregas - for a tiny fee relative to his talent
    Nasri
    Clichy

in 12/13 we got in:

Podolski - fans love him, i love him wenger unconvinced
    Giroud - i love him, most folks agree he's not at the very top level though.
    Cazorla - big hit
    Nacho - hit

we lost:
    Song - meh not upset about it
    Van Persie - massive loss - one of the best players in the world who's goals have given our hated rivals a league title and defeated us twice.

this season:
    Ozil - massive hit, great, signal a new direction we hope
    Flamini - a big hit
    sanogo - unknown
    Kalstrom - injured.

Overall some great, some awful, some meh, like most clubs.

But I think we can do better than signing injured folks, i think we should be aiming for better than that like.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    You must be a great supporter. Throwing your toys out of the pram because Wenger didnt go out and spend £40m or £50m just because?

I'd have liked Draxler too, but his release clause isnt active until the Summer. We were never going to get a reasonable price when they could hold out until the summer and get the release clause fee.

We were also linked to at least two or three strikers, and those are only the ones that got reported on. There was not a single report of Kallstrom before it was done.

On top of that, Chelsea are also in need of a striker and couldnt find anyone with near infinite resources. What chance do we have on a budget? A lot dont seem able to comprehend the fact that nobody worth signing was available. Dont believe me? Why didnt Chelsea sign a striker they obviously need? There arent any.

Couldn't agree more with everything here and that of a couple of more posters above.

But can you please refrain from posting sensible and accurate and thought out posts on this forum as it is straying from the new narrative that Wenger has no idea what he is doing and Arsenal Football is in crisis.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Anyway, when we win nothing again this year, we can all blame Wenger? We apparently missed out on klose at the last minute. It a serious oversight by Wenger IMO, and getting a striker could have made all the difference in getting a trophy this season.

on the other side of things it can be argued that without Wenger we wouldn't be in the position to challenge :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Jonney I admire your constant support regardless of situation and I disagree with some of the drama queens but you can't cover over every issue, it's acceptable that even Arsene can make a mistake and that's okay.

Not signing a striker was an error of judgement, the fact Wenger chased 3 shows he knows we needed one, he chose not to in the end and we've got to trust him, but if Giroud gets injured it is himself he needs to look at and the blame will lie with him

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I don't think we've been amazing, i think you're being too generous there. we've been ok.

season 11/12 we got in

Carl Jenkinson - okay
    Gervinho - failure
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - hit
    Joel Campbell - unknown - probably wont make it
    Park Chu-Young - massive failure
    André Santos - massive failure
    Mikel Arteta - big hit
    Per Mertesacker - massive hit
    Thomas Eisfeld - probably wont make it

We let go:
    Fabregas - for a tiny fee relative to his talent
    Nasri
    Clichy

in 12/13 we got in:

Podolski - fans love him, i love him wenger unconvinced
    Giroud - i love him, most folks agree he's not at the very top level though.
    Cazorla - big hit
    Nacho - hit

we lost:
    Song - meh not upset about it
    Van Persie - massive loss - one of the best players in the world who's goals have given our hated rivals a league title and defeated us twice.

this season:
    Ozil - massive hit, great, signal a new direction we hope
    Flamini - a big hit
    sanogo - unknown
    Kalstrom - injured.

Overall some great, some awful, some meh, like most clubs.

But I think we can do better than signing injured folks, i think we should be aiming for better than that like.

That's 9 hits or better. The only real failure was Gervinho and even he was good when on form. Santos was quite good early on and looked a good signing. Jenkinson, Campbell, Park and Eisfeld were not signed for the first team. But, due to injuries Jenkinson was thrown in the deep end. Nothing amazing, but still pretty solid. Cant ask for much more from a back up.

That success rate is far better than "ok".

Soups123 wrote: »
    Not signing a striker was an error of judgement, the fact Wenger chased 3 shows he knows we needed one, he chose not to in the end and we've got to trust him, but if Giroud gets injured it is himself he needs to look at and the blame will lie with him

Why didnt Chelsea sign any then? Wanting players and getting players are two very different things. I'm sure we'd all want Messi and Ronaldo but getting them would be damn near impossible.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That success rate is far better than "ok".

well we'll not fall out over it.
    I still think we should have a better summer window last year, Ozil rescued it and we were lucky to get him, i.e he wasn't a planned signing like Podolski, Giroud or Cazorla.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement