Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why didnt Chelsea sign any then? Wanting players and getting players are two very different things. I'm sure we'd all want Messi and Ronaldo but getting them would be damn near impossible.

Not sure how Chelsea comes into my point.

But I suspect Jose would be interested in none of those as he has 3 in Eto, Torres & Ba. For what ever reason Arsene did but just not enough, the word was all 3 were gettable but only on a perm, none are good enough for that

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

At this stage of the season it really isnt about who you sign, its about momentum, team spirit and having faith in the squad.

Utd now have Rooney, Mata and RVP and still lose to Stoke. Chelsea cant get by a West Ham team at home. Both teams I think we can beat with the current squad, injuries and all.

O fcourse we'd have loved a quality stiker but we should have done that deal in the Summer. Now its about other things

The big difference with the team this year is belief. We should share in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Do people continually like to pretend Bendtner is no longer at the club?

Yea I do anyway it's better for my sanity ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Soups123 wrote: »
    Jonney I admire your constant support regardless of situation and I disagree with some of the drama queens but you can't cover over every issue, it's acceptable that even Arsene can make a mistake and that's okay.

Not signing a striker was an error of judgement, the fact Wenger chased 3 shows he knows we needed one, he chose not to in the end and we've got to trust him, but if Giroud gets injured it is himself he needs to look at and the blame will lie with him

I know he makes mistakes Soups, I was livid in August pre Ozil too as this time I believed there was money there.

However I am consistently shocked at the inability of some to accept the limits of the January window. We didnt get a striker because none of sufficient quality were available. Look at Chelsea??

Or can you name this mystery man we are all missing?

And how can you say Wenger chose not to?? The evidence is he did and a lot of posters here are accepting that he definitely did but couldn't get them due to clubs saying no.

Why isnt this accepted??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why didnt Chelsea sign any then? Wanting players and getting players are two very different things. I'm sure we'd all want Messi and Ronaldo but getting them would be damn near impossible.

there was no top level striker available. Chelsea already have 3 high wage meh strikers. Mou will keep his massive funds till the summer.

Most arsenal fans just want a bit more depth in the position than Bendy.

I reckon we'll go big in the summer - but we wont be the only ones trying to do that. top level strikers are like hens teeth at the moment.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    At this stage of the season it really isnt about who you sign, its about momentum, team spirit and having faith in the squad.

Utd now have Rooney, Mata and RVP and still lose to Stoke. Chelsea cant get by a West Ham team at home. Both teams I think we can beat with the current squad, injuries and all.

O fcourse we'd have loved a quality stiker but we should have done that deal in the Summer. Now its about other things

The big difference with the team this year is belief. We should share in it.

really good post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

bad2dabone wrote: »
    there was no top level striker available. Chelsea already have 3 high wage meh strikers. Mou will keep his massive funds till the summer.

Most arsenal fans just want a bit more depth in the position than Bendy.

I reckon we'll go big in the summer - but we wont be the only ones trying to do that. top level strikers are like hens teeth at the moment.

They really are. It's odd isnt it. Even Costa is as of now a bit of one season wonder and he is the highest rated striker that could be termed 'gettable'. Still a risk in the PL I think though for big big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I know he makes mistakes Soups, I was livid in August pre Ozil too as this time I believed there was money there.

However I am consistently shocked at the inability of some to accept the limits of the January window. We didnt get a striker because none of sufficient quality were available. Look at Chelsea??

Or can you name this mystery man we are all missing?

And how can you say Wenger chose not to?? The evidence is he did and a lot of posters here are accepting that he definitely did but couldn't get them due to clubs saying no.

Why isnt this accepted??

There is no mystery man. Wenger chased these 3 players he wasn't told no he was told not on loan permanent only. So he chose not to.

That is ok, his call personally I am looking forward to the run in if injuries go our way I feel we could pip city, I ain't carrying any annoyance on from the window I have far too many more important things in life than to take Arsenal transfer dealings personally. My opinion is a striker was needed and if we fall short that could be the diff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I don't think we've been amazing, i think you're being too generous there. we've been ok.

season 11/12 we got in

Carl Jenkinson - okay
    Gervinho - failure
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - hit
    Joel Campbell - unknown - probably wont make it
    Park Chu-Young - massive failure
    André Santos - massive failure
    Mikel Arteta - big hit
    Per Mertesacker - massive hit
    Thomas Eisfeld - probably wont make it

We let go:
    Fabregas - for a tiny fee relative to his talent
    Nasri
    Clichy

in 12/13 we got in:

Podolski - fans love him, i love him wenger unconvinced
    Giroud - i love him, most folks agree he's not at the very top level though.
    Cazorla - big hit
    Nacho - hit

we lost:
    Song - meh not upset about it
    Van Persie - massive loss - one of the best players in the world who's goals have given our hated rivals a league title and defeated us twice.

this season:
    Ozil - massive hit, great, signal a new direction we hope
    Flamini - a big hit
    sanogo - unknown
    Kalstrom - injured.

Overall some great, some awful, some meh, like most clubs.

But I think we can do better than signing injured folks, i think we should be aiming for better than that like.

I love these kind of posts. Nice to see someone express their opinions with a bit of effort. I don't fully agree with all of it, which is to be expected as there's alot here.

I don't think Jenkinson is just an "Okay". His performances when Sagna was injured earned an England cap.
    Jenkinson cost barely anything while Chamberlain cost up to 15 million. While there is no doubting that Chamberlain will be a lot more important for Arsenal; Jenkinson has been needed to fill in at times and performed very well. Comes across as sketchy at times, but I won't forget his period of 10-12 very fine games for us. For a few hundred thousand, that's tremendous.

Gervinho was a failure but I didn't think he was too bad. Played well sometimes.

As for Park-Chu Young, Arsenal knew what they were doing. When he came,so did some nice broadcasting deals and income from South Korea. I say that his signing may have been profitable financially, but this is based on a lot of what I've read, and not my own financial talents.

Santos, failure.

Mertesacker, very key. Arteta, a little less key. (As you said).

I think that year was an overall win for us. Even Mertesacker alone was brilliant.

• Advertisement

They really are. It's odd isnt it. Even Costa is as of now a bit of one season wonder and he is the highest rated striker that could be termed 'gettable'. Still a risk in the PL I think though for big big money.

absolutely. costa at 35m is a much bigger gamble than higuan at 33m.

we should offer 3m to spurs for soldado.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

To all this I'd like to add that this thread in general couldn't spot a good striker in a game of FIFA with the all star teams.

The indignation this summer when other clubs were signing Osvaldo Llamela and Soldado.

Really people here have short term memories in terms of Wenger deciding what the the needs.

We have on a shoestring built one of the best all round squads in the game. One more big striker and we're complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

absolutely. costa at 35m is a much bigger gamble than higuan at 33m.

we should offer 3m to spurs for soldado.

To call Costa a one season wonder is disingenuous as he was excellent for much of last season as well, playing in a support role to Falcao.

Nowhere near worth 35 million though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

There really is a lack of quality CF at the moment around. One thing is for certain we will have to break the bank or the scouting will have to earn there keep and pull a real gem out of the bag.

Window was a disappointment we didn't get Draxler as much as everyone says it would be a huge gamble every transfer is a gamble, when there young yes there is a bit more risk but look at Rooney at United and Hazard at Chelsea both huge gambles and how many of us would take both of them in an Arsenal jersey.

Plus I really don't care less how much we spend on a player my main concern is Arsenal having success on the pitch.

I think regardless of the window though we will still challenge and be up there come the end of the season we just have to hope we dont get hit to hard on the injury front both Chelsea and City have superior squad depth.

I wouldn't take a poorly mannered player like Diego Costa at this club.

If we're to bring in such a player, we might as well make sure that the player is proven in the Premier League, like Suarez.

To call Costa a one season wonder is disingenuous as he was excellent for much of last season as well, playing in a support role to Falcao.

Nowhere near worth 35 million though.

i'm open to correction, i just know hes never gotten more than ten league goals in a season before.
    i accept hes a talented player in the 25m bracket.
    the 35m merely reflects the lack of available marksmen.

by all accounts hell be plying his trade for chelsea next season so we'll see how he gets on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

i'm open to correction, i just know hes never gotten more than ten league goals in a season before.
    i accept hes a talented player in the 25m bracket.
    the 35m merely reflects the lack of available marksmen.

by all accounts hell be plying his trade for chelsea next season so we'll see how he gets on.

In fairness Falcao was leading the line back then. Ever since he left Costa had flourished.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    In fairness Falcao was leading the line back then. Ever since he left Costa had flourished.

true enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I never heard of Kellstrom before yesterday but he arrived for his medical carrying an injury and was signed even though our medical people knew he would be out for weeks. That's just mad.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26000458

I would love to hear an explanation of why this went ahead.

My main concern is that Bendtner is not good enough as a replacement striker and this area of the team has been neglected for ages now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I've been meaning to write this up for about 2 months now and today seemed like as good a time as any. Essentially I've been amazed at how badly the players we were linked to (and a lot of us, myself included, screamed for) during the summer of 2013. This is the list of players that off the top of my head we were linked to and at least a few people in this thread wanted each of them, again myself included.

Soldado – Flop
    Jovetic – Crock, could be good but we can't throw 30m at a sicknote.
    Paulinho – Not been good, wouldn’t get near our midfield if they were fit.
    Capoue – No better than Flamini
    Lamela – Flop
    Wanyama – Can’t pass to save his life, wouldn't fit in here.
    M’Villa – Still in Russia..
    Benteke – Poor season
    Alderweireld – Can’t get his game for Atletico
    Julio Cesar – Szszeny’s better
    Ashley Williams – Would never break past Mert/Kosc, doubt he’d want to be 4th choice.
    Michu – Like Benteke, not good this year.
    Luis Gustavo – No idea if hes been good but I do recall him getting sent off twice in his first 4 games, none of that please.
    Bernard – Would a small, weak, inexperienced Brazilian have done well on the wing here?
    Fellaini – Not been good for Utd at all
    Higuain – Should have got him.
    Suarez – Big mistake believing in the release clause, his improvement this season has definitely justified Wenger’s interest though.

I'm sure I've missed some but the trend is obvious, Wenger can definitely judge talent and his biggest achievement last summer was probably his avoidance of any poor signings, I think City might be the only ones who can match us on that front.

This track record is actually what worries me about Draxler, if Wenger likes him he could end up being great for somebody else..

Paul Merson's comments on Wanyama today summed him up well:

"He stands in deep in midfield thinking that he's Yaya Touré. But he's not."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I would love to hear an explanation of why this went ahead.

Maybe to have if needed later this season, still lots of games to play. No harm in having him if Wenger thinks he'd be useful.

I've heard it mentioned a few times that hazard and Draxler are similar signings.

They're not fwiw. When Gazard went to Chelsea he had been the best player in France for one, maybe two years and led his team to a league title.

Draxler is younger, has won nowt and had scored about 15 senior level goals ... ever.

40 million is a big big ask for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

gosplan wrote: »
    I've heard it mentioned a few times that hazard and Draxler are similar signings.

They're not fwiw. When Gazard went to Chelsea he had been the best player in France for one, maybe two years and led his team to a league title.

Draxler is younger, has won nowt and had scored about 15 senior level goals ... ever.

40 million is a big big ask for that.

I'd have Draxler on par with Gotze when he was at 20.
    But I agree that 40M is too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Apparently Draxler has told Sky Germany that Schalke blocked a move despite meeting the valuation being met http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/julian-draxler-tells-sky-germany-that-schalke-blocked-his-move-to-arsenal-despite-meeting-their-valuation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I don't understand people saying that the title is lost because City are way better than us. The way I see it, had we signed a top class striker this window we would have just as much of a chance as they do at winning the PL. We have the best centre back partnership in the league and our attacking midfield is stacked with quality. The only area City have a marginal advantage is in the striker position. If we wanted to win the league this would have been our priority, the simple matter of the fact is that all three of Dzeko, Negredo, and Aguero (maybe even Jovetic too) would start ahead of Giroud in most teams. That was the area we most needed to strengthen/provide cover and we neglected to follow through.

I am not disappointed by any means by the window and think we are doing fantastically well but the fact that most of the fans had conceded the title by Christmas was a bit confusing. We are quite literally one world class striker away from the title and we didn't make so much as a dent in it. If Giroud gets injured now we are screwed. Podolski/Bentdner would make a perfectly fine stop gap but we shouldn't be looking for a stop gap. It reeks of damage control to me and I fear come the summer City will strengthen yet again, Chelsea will finally sign their world class striker and United might sort themselves out and the title will be out of our reach for another few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I don't understand people saying that the title is lost because City are way better than us. The way I see it, had we signed a top class striker this window we would have just as much of a chance as they do at winning the PL. We have the best centre back partnership in the league and our attacking midfield is stacked with quality. The only area City have a marginal advantage is in the striker position. If we wanted to win the league this would have been our priority, the simple matter of the fact is that all three of Dzeko, Negredo, and Aguero (maybe even Jovetic too) would start ahead of Giroud in most teams. That was the area we most needed cover and we neglected to follow through.

I am not disappointed by any means by the window and think we are doing fantastically well but the fact that most of the fans had conceded the title by Christmas was a bit confusing. We are quite literally one world class striker away from the title and we didn't make so much as a dent in it.

Best cb partnership In the league?

Explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Explain?

Think the stats speak for themselves tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Lads, what did you think of Mannone when he was with you? He has been excellent for us so far.

Explain?

I am as averse as they get to quoting stats but as said above they do indeed speak for themselves. Mert/Kosc have been extremely consistent this year, and as for the defence in general aside from the drubbing we took at City we have the least goals conceded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Paully D wrote: »
    Lads, what did you think of Mannone when he was with you? He has been excellent for us so far.

He was okay. I've seen him for Sunderland and you're right he has been excellant. Sunderland in general under poyet have been brilliant in most games.

• Advertisement

Explain?

Is there really much debate?

United have had none.
    City have been missing Kompany a lot.
    Liverpool have had none.

Everton and Chelsea are the only close runners and I believe Mert/Kosc have outperformed Cahill/Terry and Distin/Jagielka.

Both statistically and from viewing.

performed admirably when called upon, got on really well with the other players - i believe himself and Theo are friends - and everyone wished him well. He was going to find it hard to get ahead of Szczesny so the move was the right thing for him. I've been delighted that he's playing so well at Sunderland, he seems to have integrated very well and thats great.

Congrats on the derby win today by the way.

Mannone was flappy and dopey for a while, but he put in a series of VERY steady performances for us when called upon at the start of last season. It earned his move and I, along with most Arsenal fans, am very happy for him.

I think the difference is that it didn't matter to City that Jovetic didn't really work out. And it's OK that Dzeko doesn't get a game when everyone's available. Yeah Negredo is working well but if he hadn't then they would have just gone again.

I'm not having a go at them, just trying to show how different our situations are. We need to get it right first time and if there wasn't the right striker available, we're not yet in the position where we can spend 20 million on the wrong one.

Kompany is the only cb in the league atm who would get in our team. And even then I wouldn't break up the kos/mert partnership.

Wouldn't swap them for anyone

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Explain?

Don't see how anyone following the team would question that, they've been immense.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Mannone was flappy and dopey for a while, but he put in a series of VERY steady performances for us when called upon at the start of last season. It earned his move and I, along with most Arsenal fans, am very happy for him.

I actually forgot about that run of games. He was very good in them.

Stats?

http://www.soccerstats.com/latest.asp?league=england

Eat **** mofos.

If its stats, well Chelsea have a better defence

Stats?

Eat **** mofos.

Only till Monday :)

Also Mert and Kos are prob still the best PAIR

• Advertisement

Well I just got lambasted and all sorts of stats thrown at me.

O-0 Monday please!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Also Mert and Kos are prob still the best PAIR

Arsenal have more clean sheets too I think.

greendom wrote: »
    Think the stats speak for themselves tbh

They do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

he was decent, with moments of calamity but has came on a sight at Sunderland and delighted for him and Sunderland. ill never forget that performance he put it against Fulham at their place a few years ago, one of the best peformances i have ever seen from an Arsenal goalie.

A generalisation if I ever seen one.

How about Arsenal's Premier League unbeaten record with Per and Koscielny playing 90 mins together?

How about Arsenal's Premier League unbeaten record with Per and Koscielny playing 90 mins together?

I don't think that counts. Kos got himself sent off vrs villa so that has to go down as a loss for the partnership.

• Advertisement

I was told the stats speak for themselves, and that's all that really matters at the end, let's be honest.

I don't think that counts. Kos got himself sent off vrs villa so that has to go down as a loss for the partnership.

The record only applies to games they both played the full 90 minutes.

I was told the stats speak for themselves, and that's all that really matters at the end, let's be honest.

Will you change your mind if Chelsea have more goals conceded after Monday?

We have more clean sheets than Chelsea too btw also, the city match skews our stats, it's what's called an outlier.

Stats?

Eat **** mofos.

I specifically said "aside from the drubbing we took at City".

Bring this up after Chelsea play them at the Etihad and I'm pretty sure we'll have the best stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Stats?

Eat **** mofos.

Stats miss one important thing - Chelsea have yet to play City at the Etihad. Skews it a bit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement