Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My opinion is that it seems that tonight it was a good win for you, but would it have not been a better result if City won, leaving a gap between the top 2 and 3rd position, rather than now where there is only 2 points between the top 3?

Instead of a two horse race, you now have another formidable player in the run in for the title?

There is three mini leagues going on now, which will make the last few months pretty interesting viewing.

Staying top is a better strategy for a title race imo. Draw would have been better but Chelsea win is preferable to a city one by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I would have preferred a draw.
    Then a Chelsea win.

And I would have been very disappointed with a City win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

If we beat Liverpool, be clear by 5 before these two touch a ball again, MASSIVE game now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

All the pundits were having multiple orga*ms when City were top last week. Best team on the planet...me arse...luv the egg on all the so called pundits faces...

Yep I hope this game reverses the effect the Bayern win in Munich had for them. In fairness they have 3 big injuries but we'r not exactly fortunate in that sense ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

So we can be back 5 points clear at 2.45 on Saturday

Raf beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Staying top is a better strategy for a title race imo. Draw would have been better but Chelsea win is preferable to a city one by far.

yeah I can see that point of view tbh and out of the three you are the lesser of the evils so good luck with it. A loss tonight would've taking chelsea out of it imo and it would've made it easier for you.

Still Anfield on Saturday should be fun :)

Actually looking at both City's and Chelsea's upcoming fixtures this was a good result. More potential for Chelsea to come unstuck. City could have kept their momentum going on for a good while yet. Come this time Wednesday week this thread will be some sight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Yep I hope this game reverses the effect the Bayern win in Munich had for them. In fairness they have 3 big injuries but we'r not exactly fortunate in that sense ourselves.

I'm sure other teams are taking a note of this result, In the hindsight it's good we were not playing like city, thrashing teams 5-0. But doing the job professionally, so we're under the radar and teams will play into our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Happy with that result now because it's over and that's it. I think it tightens up the race and probably the best thing it does is stops City's momentum and there supposed recent invincibility.

I also think Chelsea will drop unexpected points and that's what will make tonight a good result.

We need to win Saturday. I am very wary of the United game. We are on 55 now and by the time we play that game we have the potential to be 3/4 behind both teams if we go badly. Real test now. Have to step up and answer.

Understand the "United" effect, but if we can't beat them this year at home, we might as well call the whole thing off.
    And agreed, we need the 3 points on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'll also be screaming for the skunk to bang in a couple vs citeh. do it skunk. the boy inside me wants you to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Although it's the best result for us I probably would have rathered that City stuff Chelsea. Unfortunately for City they lost Fernandinho and Nasri in the week before this game and Nasri before that. I definitely think had Aguero been playing tonight would have been a different story but at least it puts in perspective why we lost 6-3 to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Although it's the best result for us I probably would have rathered that City stuff Chelsea. Unfortunately for City they lost Fernandinho and Nasri in the week before this game and Nasri before that. I definitely think had Aguero been playing tonight would have been a different story but at least it puts in perspective why we lost 6-3 to them.

Yea. Losing Nasri twice was a big blow to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Meant Aguero ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Interesting quotes from Jose, seems that he at least thinks Arsenal are still in it, otherwise he wouldn't be playing painfully obvious mind games

"We can [win the title] if they lose it [Manchester City]. Arsenal are working for many, many years for the evolution of their team. What we are doing this season is what Arsenal have been building to for years."

Let's see what the so called pundits have to say on MOTD-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

BfLkt3_CYAAlM6W.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Watching a half hour long highlights reel of some of Drogba's premier league goals. Thank fúck he's not around anymore, every second one is against Arsenal.

Watching a half hour long highlights reel of some of Drogba's premier league goals. Thank fúck he's not around anymore, every second one is against Arsenal.

We used to play into his hands by fecking playing high line, and we probably had our worst centre backs to coincide with it...Cygan, Sendoros, Djorou et al

We used to play into his hands by fecking playing high line, and we probably had our worst centre backs to coincide with it...Cygan, Sendoros, Djorou et al

That's true though Djourou had a great game against him in 2010 at Christmas iirc. I do believe Chelsea lack that bit of extra Potency without him

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

CatInABox wrote: »
    Interesting quotes from Jose, seems that he at least thinks Arsenal are still in it, otherwise he wouldn't be playing painfully obvious mind games

"We can [win the title] if they lose it [Manchester City]. Arsenal are working for many, many years for the evolution of their team. What we are doing this season is what Arsenal have been building to for years."

Yes, he's a tw@t. No sign of him showing any respect any time soon then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Watching that too. His best goal was definitely the one against liverpool where he took it on his chest with his back to goal, swivelled 180 degrees and volleyed it with his left foot. What a goal!

CatInABox wrote: »

Haha he is some muppet! And the drooling media...well just laughable!

I loved Gary Neville's point about Chelsea's bench tonight. Much stronger than City's yet he still around playing the poor mouth and the media lapping it up as if they were some kind of underdog in terms or resources. I'd be confident of giving them a right rattle at the Bridge in March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Jose is gas though going on about ffp.

If you did a table of average managerial spend per year, surely to god he'd top it well, no?

Don't get me wrong, he's very talented as well but you really can't listen to anything he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Folks in the other threads getting carried away with Chelsea, didn't they have like 30 shots vs West Ham and couldn't score?
    I Still think they'll drop points.
    It's up to us to make sure that we don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Haha he is some muppet! And the drooling media...well just laughable!

I loved Gary Neville's point about Chelsea's bench tonight. Much stronger than City's yet he still around playing the poor mouth and the media lapping it up as if they were some kind of underdog in terms or resources. I'd be confident of giving them a right rattle at the Bridge in March.

But was that not down to injuries ? Chelsea were without Torres. City were missing Fernandinho, Garcia, Nasri and Aguero. That had a significant impact on the quality on the bench. Get your point though. Mourinho is full of BS.

If we could manage to get 6 points from the next two games it would be such a massive boost to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ronjo wrote: »
    If we could manage to get 6 points from the next two games it would be such a massive boost to the team.

I don't see why not, I'd be disappointed if we don't. Utd are all over the place, players are not happy, some want to jump ship and their manager is all over the place. If we can't beat them in this state then we have no business challenging for the title.

Liverpool will be trickier, they are good going forward but our defense is solid at the moment and should be able to manage them. We have enough going forward to score a few goals against them. I would be confident of getting 3 points there, Liverpool will go out to win and leave us with plenty of opportunities to hit them. Should be a good game.

Stoke away is going to be tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonder whether the tube strike will force the Man U game to be postponed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I would de delighted with 4 from the next two games
    Even 3 wouldn't be bad

Anything less is a slip up

Even 3 wouldn't be bad

Most seasons I wouldnt be too unhappy with 3 points but this year as we are going for top spot I think we need at least 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Most seasons I wouldnt be too unhappy with 3 points but this year as we are going for top spot I think we need at least 4.

Yeah i agree but I wouldn't go into meltdown with 3 either

Yeah i agree but I wouldn't go into meltdown with 3 either

Even a little one? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Marco van Basten: "Arsenal are the most beautiful club in England. At Man City and Chelsea, they will never have that class and style."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Mikel Arteta was at the hub of everything the Arsenal did to break down Crystal Palace – playing 127 passes with all but five of them finding a team mate.

The 31-year-old Spaniard has been an unsung hero in the Gunners climb to the top of the table, missing only three games since returning from injury in September but picking up little in the way of plaudits.

But his performance was the best passing stats by any player in the Premier League all season – and his 122 completed passes were just two less than all Palace’s midfield and strikers, plus substitutes, put together.

From the daily snail

from what I saw, he is very slow and when he looses the ball he can't chase it. He may look good against the likes of CP but he will struggle against the teams who press high up and Liverpool will certainly do that especially at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Looks like jack will be back for the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

dinorebel wrote: »
    Mikel Arteta was at the hub of everything the Arsenal did to break down Crystal Palace – playing 127 passes with all but five of them finding a team mate.

The 31-year-old Spaniard has been an unsung hero in the Gunners climb to the top of the table, missing only three games since returning from injury in September but picking up little in the way of plaudits.

But his performance was the best passing stats by any player in the Premier League all season – and his 122 completed passes were just two less than all Palace’s midfield and strikers, plus substitutes, put together.

From the daily snail

a bit strange Arseblog had Ozil just ahead of stats for the Palace game.

I do like Arteta class act, class player just think in the real top games sometimes I'd prefer Flamini in there. Great to have the options though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think we need 6 points off pool and united if we want to win the league, I know it's not as simple as that but we really need a bit of a gap going into March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

from what I saw, he is very slow and when he looses the ball he can't chase it. He may look good against the likes of CP but he will struggle against the teams who press high up and Liverpool will certainly do that especially at home.
    He was probably the best player on the pitch against Liverpool in the reverse league fixture.

• Advertisement

He was probably the best player on the pitch against Liverpool in the reverse league fixture.

I'm not trying to de-grade him but off-lately he's been slow and against Southampton he was probably our weakest player. He'll be great against teams who'll sit back and allow us to come but when teams press high-up he'll loose the ball and he hasn't got the legs to chase them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That was because Liverpool's midfield is very slow. He struggles badly against teams with quick midfields or teams who press us well like Chelsea/Dortmund/United/Southhampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Need a minimum of 4 points if we want to win the title.

Great news that Jack is back. I'd have him and Rosicky in for Podolski and the Ox. Gibbs for Monreal aswell...

shano_88 wrote: »
    Need a minimum of 4 points if we want to win the title.

Great news that Jack is back. I'd have him and Rosicky in for Podolski and the Ox. Gibbs for Monreal aswell...

Only reason I would have Ox on the right is that he could really go at Sissohko who is a weak link for Pool.

Rosicky and Pod as super subs off the bench to lift the tempo again in the second half

What is Michael Sick Note Owen's grief with us - every time I here that twat has something bad to say about us.

He predicted we'll finish 5th and now he says "I didn't think they'd have a great season because player for player they aren't as good as a few teams,"

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/04/michael-owen-arsenals-players-arent-as-good-as-a-few-teams-but/?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I can see us beating Liverpool, we have a serious record against them and I just think their squad has no depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Even 3 wouldn't be bad

Two games we can win. 6 points.

What is Michael Sick Note Owen's grief with us - every time I here that twat has something bad to say about us.

He predicted we'll finish 5th and new he says "I didn't think they'd have a great season because player for player they aren't as good as a few teams,"

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/02/04/michael-owen-arsenals-players-arent-as-good-as-a-few-teams-but/?

Ah I would pay no attention to that lad. I would say that at the start of the season we would have all believed that a battle for 4th was our lot again this year. To be honest the only way we become vindicated here is if we win the title. We can keep giving out about pundits writing us off but the simple fact is if we don't win it they are justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

AdamD wrote: »
    That was because Liverpool's midfield is very slow. He struggles badly against teams with quick midfields or teams who press us well like Chelsea/Dortmund/United/Southhampton.

My response was about Liverpool. As for United, quick midfield? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If we won the league this year. Would it be Wengers greatest ever title? Considering the money City / Chelsea have spent and where we were the last few seasons. Would it top the invincibles?

Ah I would pay no attention to that lad. I would say that at the start of the season we would have all believed that a battle for 4th was our lot again this year. To be honest the only way we become vindicated here is if we win the title. We can keep giving out about pundits writing us off but the simple fact is if we don't win it they are justified.

you're right, but listening to these gob*****s, one would think we're fighting for relegation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement