Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My response was about Liverpool. As for United, quick midfield? :pac:

Whenever they play us they throw Phil Jones and/or Rooney onto Arteta and the high press destroys him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah I would pay no attention to that lad. I would say that at the start of the season we would have all believed that a battle for 4th was our lot again this year. To be honest the only way we become vindicated here is if we win the title. We can keep giving out about pundits writing us off but the simple fact is if we don't win it they are justified.

Not really there was quite a few off us in here who thought and were proven right that we would be challenging this year. I never thought coming into this season we were in a battle for 4th.

I think we are more than capable and I'm somewhat confident we will take 6 points in the next two games. It will be tough but we can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

6 points is a must in the next 2 games nothing less will do, if this was City or Chelsea I am almost certain they would take maximum points from these games so why shouldn't we??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know who the referee is for the next two league games?
    If its Mike Dean then he'll do us no favours.
    Yellow card for a last man foul last night would have been red if we were playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

If we win the league this year, it will be one of the happiest moments of my life. That's not a slight on my relationships or career but a testament to how heartbreaking (not just trophies but losing players) some of the last decade has been. I can't imagine anything as glorious. I think it's the same for most fans and people associated with the club. A mixture of relief, pride and elation. 14 long games to go yet. Have allowed myself just the slightest bit of hope but also left quite a lot of room for disappointment.

Either way have to say very proud of Wenger, who I did dismiss at times and I do think he lost the plot a bit but overall: he is a great manager and we are blessed with him. Really like this group of players as well.

Going to most home games left, if anybody fancies a pint lemme know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yellow card for a last man foul last night would have been red if we were playing.

I think its Oliver on Saturday.

You can imagine Dean making a hop skip and a jump up to say Kos with the red card if that was us last night.

Michael Oliver vs Liverpool
    Mark Clattenburg vs United

not bad

Am actually more confident of winning at Anfield than against United at home.

ronjo wrote: »
    I think its Oliver on Saturday.

You can imagine Dean making a hop skip and a jump up to say Kos with the red card if that was us last night.

Good. I often wondered why Wenger didn't request that Mr Burns doesn't referee our games as he gives us nothing.

Good. I often wondered why Wenger didn't request that Mr Burns doesn't referee our games as he gives us nothing.

Can you imagine the rants from Fergie over the years about Dean if he was like that for United games.

Maybe Wenger should have kicked up some stink and made controversy from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Am actually more confident of winning at Anfield than against United at home.

Exact same here...unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

BfoaMuXCYAADrxB.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm not trying to de-grade him but off-lately he's been slow and against Southampton he was probably our weakest player. He'll be great against teams who'll sit back and allow us to come but when teams press high-up he'll loose the ball and he hasn't got the legs to chase them.

Southampton was a game too early for MA. He should have started on the bench that day but Arsene had little choice. The whole team was poor that evening too.

EDIT: In addition, i think he's superb defensively. His anticipation and positioning sense means that his lack of pace is rarely a problem. I will be very happy to see him lining up against Liverpool now he is match fit, especially if he has Rosicky alongside him.

Chelseas to lose in my opinion after seeing them fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Raf32 wrote: »

Its our to lose. We are top. Its in our hands :D

I think we have to go to Stamford Bridge and do them, and without wanting to sound like Kevin Keegan, I would just love it if we beat them and break Mourinhos record of never losing a league game at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Looking at the program-the next 6 games, you can see the importance of winning 6 points in the next two games.

Man City has quite a few home games that, on paper, don't look like they will slip in any of them.

It would give a toatlly different feeling for our team if we went to the difficult March run still on top.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Its our to lose. We are top. Its in our hands :D

Its at the stage now where we cannot afford to drop points from a winning situation like at Southampton.
    Every point is crucial now.
    We need 6 from the next two games to stay ahead.

Our last 4 fixtures are decent enough, if we could just manage to stay in front or even a point or so behind I think we will win it. Big big ask for us tho, especially with the amount of injuries we are picking up.

• Advertisement

I don't know. Just looking at the table there and you have 9 teams battling to stay away from relegation. That means every game will now go to the wire. I think Chelsea will struggle more than us or City against the Palaces/Villa's away as they tend to be both conservative in their style.

I said it last week and I know it sounds silly but we are a much more comfortable team against sides that come to play.

Whatever happens against Liverpool/United the fixture set of Spurs/City/Chelsea/Everton will decide our season. Every side in the PL would drop points there. Impossible not too. It's a matter of how damaged we get in that space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Its at the stage now where we cannot afford to drop points from a winning situation like at Southampton.
    Every point is crucial now.
    We need 6 from the next two games to stay ahead.

Every point is crucial you're right but City and Chelsea will drop points along the way somewhere too. Id be very surprised if any one of us took maximum points out of the remaining games. If they did you gotta hold your hands up and say fair play then

BfoaMuXCYAADrxB.jpg

Last fixtures are missing there I think.

We have Norwich Away on the last day.
    Chelsea have Cardiff Away.
    Man City have West Ham Home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Looking at the program-the next 6 games, you can see the importance of winning 6 points in the next two games.

Man City has quite a few home games that, on paper, don't look like they will slip in any of them.

It would give a toatlly different feeling for our team if we went to the difficult March run still on top.

I agree, win the next two matches and we will go into the March run with confidence that we can do it. Drop points and fall behind and we could lack the confidence to play catch-up.

I don't know. Just looking at the table there and you have 9 teams battling to stay away from relegation. That means every game will now go to the wire. I think Chelsea will struggle more than us or City against the Palaces/Villa's away as they tend to be both conservative in their style.

I said it last week and I know it sounds silly but we are a much more comfortable team against sides that come to play.

Whatever happens against Liverpool/United the fixture set of Spurs/City/Chelsea/Everton will decide our season. Every side in the PL would drop points there. Impossible not too. It's a matter of how damaged we get in that space.

Fully agree with this.
    Away games against relegation threatened teams can be a nightmare in March, April and May.
    Logically they are in relegation battle because they are poor sides but more often than not they are bloody tough games.

This is the main reason I never listen to some Pool fans bluster about having home games against other top sides and how it will benefit them.

In our last 14 fixtures last season I think we had 35 points.

A repeat would surely be enough :D

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Our last 4 fixtures are decent enough, if we could just manage to stay in front or even a point or so behind I think we will win it. Big big ask for us tho, especially with the amount of injuries we are picking up.

If Liverpool are fighting for fourth by then it could work well for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

looking at those fixtures, I would say Man City - home, Chelsea - away and Everton - away, are our toughest fixtures. If we get 3 points from those fixtures I think we'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

So excited for Saturday. If we win at Anfield, which I think we will, and if we play as we can, we will win against united.

Need to start this run with a win and a champion's belief will start to kick in big time with the squad.

February is about getting our belief to the max that we can do this and March is about consolidating, proving to the likes of City and Chelsea that when we are confident/mentally ready we can take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Last fixtures are missing there I think.

We have Norwich Away on the last day.
    Chelsea have Cardiff Away.
    Man City have West Ham Home.

yeah & the man city-man u is the midweek before arsenal play them, it's put back because of the C1 cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

6 points is a must in the next 2 games nothing less will do, if this was City or Chelsea I am almost certain they would take maximum points from these games so why shouldn't we??

We have different reasons for needing maximum points in the next two games. Win against Liverpool and we end their small hopes of being in the title race. Win against Utd and we end the hoodoo they have over us and prove we are serious contenders. Wins in both are crucial.

• Advertisement

looking at those fixtures, I would say Man City - home, Chelsea - away and Everton - away, are our toughest fixtures. If we get 3 points from those fixtures I think we'll do it.

Spurs away given it's a derby will be very difficult too especially given our record there recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Spurs away given it's a derby will be very difficult too especially given our record there recently.

If the Sherwood is still in charge then, it should be alright. He basically designed their team to get beaten by us in the FA Cup.

True about the recent record, I just think that we probably are a better team compared to the last couple of years.

Unless of course injuries keep calling. . .

I might sound cocky but Liverpool and City hammered them, so if they set-up like they did for FA cup, we shouldn't be worrying about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

BfoaMuXCYAADrxB.jpg

If were within touching distance come the city game at home I think we will win it

http://www.the-mustard.com/predictor.html

Did it there finished like this for me

Club Pld GD Pts
    1 Chelsea 38 44 93
    2 Man City 38 65 89
    3 Arsenal 38 38 84
    4 Man Utd 38 30 76
    5 Liverpool 38 42 75
    6 Tottenham 38 7 71
    7 Everton 38 20 70
    8 Southampton38 12 59
    9 Newcastle 38 -4 48
    10 Stoke 38 -18 39
    11 Sunderland 38 -19 39
    12 Aston Villa 38 -14 38
    13 Swansea 38 -14 35
    14 West Brom 38 -15 34
    15 Cardiff 38 -28 34
    16 C Palace 38 -27 33
    17 West Ham 38 -21 31
    18 Norwich 38 -36 30
    19 Hull City 38 -18 29
    20 Fulham 38 -44 27

http://www.the-mustard.com/predictor.html

Did it there finished like this for me

Club Pld GD Pts
    1 Chelsea 38 44 93
    2 Man City 38 65 89
    3 Arsenal 38 38 84
    4 Man Utd 38 30 76
    5 Liverpool 38 42 75
    6 Tottenham 38 7 71
    7 Everton 38 20 70
    8 Southampton38 12 59
    9 Newcastle 38 -4 48
    10 Stoke 38 -18 39
    11 Sunderland 38 -19 39
    12 Aston Villa 38 -14 38
    13 Swansea 38 -14 35
    14 West Brom 38 -15 34
    15 Cardiff 38 -28 34
    16 C Palace 38 -27 33
    17 West Ham 38 -21 31
    18 Norwich 38 -36 30
    19 Hull City 38 -18 29
    20 Fulham 38 -44 27

You mean to tell me that Man Utd will get 36 points out of maximum 42? :P

Irish Aris wrote: »
    You mean to tell me that Man Utd will get 36 points out of maximum 42? :P

Jaysus i did that very wrong, ignore me im wrecked :pac:

Jaysus i did that very wrong, ignore me im wrecked :pac:

And Chelsea to get 40 out of 42 !

They couldnt beat West Ham.... WEST HAM !!!!!!!!!!!!

And Chelsea to get 40 out of 42 !

They couldnt beat West Ham.... WEST HAM !!!!!!!!!!!!

yup defo think they will at least drop 10 points so dont know why i only had them dropping 2, absolute howler from myself, hands up :pac:

• Advertisement

1 Man City 38 67 90
    2 Arsenal 38 39 90
    3 Chelsea 38 46 87
    4 Liverpool 38 38 76
    5 Tottenham 38 1 67
    6 Man Utd 38 16 66
    7 Everton 38 15 65

Didnt bother doing the whole league table but thats what I came out with :( Had City beating us 2-1 at The Emirates.

Man City 64 87
    Arsenal 37 85
    Chelsea 34 82
    Liverpool 40 78
    Everton 20 71
    Tottenham 6 71
    Man United 24 70

Ridiculous but good craic!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

1 Man City 38 67 90
    2 Arsenal 38 39 90
    3 Chelsea 38 46 87
    4 Liverpool 38 38 76
    5 Tottenham 38 1 67
    6 Man Utd 38 16 66
    7 Everton 38 15 65

Didnt bother doing the whole league table but thats what I came out with :( Had City beating us 2-1 at The Emirates.

Better beat them at the Emirates so :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

1. Chelsea 48 89
    2. Arsenal 47 89
    3. City 71 87

We lost on goal difference! A win at home against City or away to Chelsea and the title was ours, too.

Oh well. Always next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

The Schalke chairman has said that he can 100% rule out that Draxler wants to go to Bayern.
    But he did also say that he believes that he will stay at the club next season and leave in 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

dvemail wrote: »
    The Schalke chairman has said that he can 100% rule out that Draxler wants to go to Bayern.
    But he did also say that he believes that he will stay at the club next season and leave in 2015.

Schalke would never sell to Bayern anyway.
    Also Bayern really don't need another attacking midfielder.

RAF32...you don't know what you are doing...
    RAF32 out
    RAF32 out

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Mr Blobby wrote: »

They sold Manuel Neuer in 2011 to Bayern so I'm not too sure about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Robben & Ribery both now in their 30's so don't be suprised to see them push for another promising young German talent. But yeah, seems neither Draxler or Schalke want anything to do with them.
    Going to be very tough to get him this summer though it being a World Cup Year and all.

• Advertisement

dvemail wrote: »
    Robben & Ribery both now in their 30's so don't be suprised to see them push for another promising young German talent. But yeah, seems neither Draxler or Schalke want anything to do with them.
    Going to be very tough to get him this summer though it being a World Cup Year and all.
    I doub't that he'll feature for the German National Team in the WC tbh, he'll make the squad but not the team. Reus/Ozil/Gotze/Muller/Kroos are all ahead of him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement