Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

AdamD wrote: »
    I doub't that he'll feature for the German National Team in the WC tbh, he'll make the squad but not the team. Reus/Ozil/Gotze/Muller/Kroos are all ahead of him

Will still have to wait till after the WC for any deal to take place as he will more than likely be part of their squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

dvemail wrote: »
    Will still have to wait till after the WC for any deal to take place as he will more than likely be part of their squad.

Ah, thought you meant because of his performances attracting interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The £37 million fee being talked about for Draxler is absolutely, inarguably, nuts, though.

The price Mata, Chelsea's best player for two consecutive years and arguably the best at his role in the league in both of those years, went for.

Half as much again as the young (and English) Rooney went for.

£5 million more than Eden Hazard, the French league's best player with several oil rich clubs chasing him and more experience than Draxler.

£5.5 million less than we paid for the best creative midfielder in the world in his prime.

£3 million less than we were prepared to spend on Suarez.

He would want to be absolutely extraordinary to justify that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wasn't it 37 million euro's though? That's a little less in pounds sterling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Kirby wrote: »
    Wasn't it 37 million euro's though? That's a little less in pounds sterling.

No, I'm pretty certain it was sterling.

Edit: Yep, a quick Google of "Draxler clause" yields a bunch of links claiming £37m. On phone so can't link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

Just had a go at this:
    1. Arsenal (champions)
    2. Who cares
    3. Where the
    4. Rest come.
    COYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I know it's not related to us, but did anybody see the Chico Flores's theatrics the other day.

FA should have rescinded Carroll's Card and should have punished Flores for coning the ref...

http://www.thefa.com//news/governance/2014/feb/andy-carroll-west-ham-claim-rejected-swansea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Was just thinking today how crazy vermaleans major dip in form is he used to be one of my fav players at one stage and arguably one of the best defenders in the premiership.

Also what are peoples views on ozil now that hes with us for over half a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Was just thinking today how crazy vermaleans major dip in form is he used to be one of my fav players at one stage and arguably one of the best defenders in the premiership.

Also what are peoples views on ozil now that hes with us for over half a season?

think we will see the best of him next season with walcott back and maybe a mobile striker. At the moment he is making the rest look best, taking a few players with him freeing up room for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Taken from GunnerBlog and I have to say it hits the nail on the head for me.

We’re allowed to criticise Mesut Ozil…

Sometimes it feels as if we’re so eager for our record signing to do well that anything approaching criticism of his performance is deemed a kind of blasphemy. Equally, the tiniest contribution is hailed as a game-changer. I half expect someone to suggest that Santi Cazorla was afforded the room to score his second goal against Fulham due to a particularly well-timed Ozil fart.

Let’s get this straight: I love Ozil as much as the rest of you. I think his signing is one of the most exciting things to happen in my time as a fan. I think he’s generally been an excellent addition, and the effect of his arrival on the club has been dramatic and transformative.

I like the above statement. It's honest and I think it sums up how we feel deep down but some are afraid to say it. Hugely positive affect but I expected more from him in terms of direct assists, etc but think it will come.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The same sort of thing was happening with Dennis when he arrived first. Took an age to get going but once the brakes were off ... well we all know the outcome. Fans were happy to give him time an not overly criticise

Ozil will be the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Watched Ozil closely in the last few games.
    He has played very well and shields the ball very well. He creates loads of space.
    I would like to see him shoot more. He is adjusting to the pace of the EPL and will only improve.
    Overall i'm very happy with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ozil reminds me of when I used to watch Michael Jordan playing basketball, it seems sometimes that he’s off his game but then you look and he have a rake of points and assists that you didn’t even notice.
    Ive made a conscious effort the past 3 games – Ozilwatch – where I just look for him the whole time. He’s great, he ghosts around the place, popping up and laying off the ball. Watch how many times we use him for short passes etc. he’s the business. And he’s only going to get better.

Verm unfortunately is the victim of mertscielny, he’s done ok when he’s played, but he wont be able to break up the best CB partnership we’ve had in years. I wouldn’t begrudge him a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Haven't a bad word to say about Ozil. Dominating play is not his game, it's the sudden pieces of magic (like his assist for Cazorla's goal against Southampton). Plus he's only going to get better, which is a little bit scary.

If Ozil’s passing and movement could be combined with Podolski’s Shooting and smiley face,
    You’d have a hell of a player!

Ya id agree he is always there to pass to like a 12th man on the pitch In some ways he is always free. There has been alot of times where ive been screaming shoot but he passes thats my only frustration with him he does t shoot enough when he is well capable.

My biggest worry is how long are we going to hold on to ozil? We will keep him for next season anyway at the least? But if we fail to bring trophys to the emirates he might get cold feet and head off after next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ozil is a once in a lifetime type of player, he floats around the pitch effortlessly and makes the game look so easy, he has that drop of the shoulder that can leave his marker for dead and an absolute wand of a left foot that could open up the best defences in world football, this may not go down well but technically I think he is the finest player alongside Bergkamp to wear the famous red and white jersey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I love the way he pssses the ball. His technique is Zidanesque and that can't be a bad thing.

greendom wrote: »
    I love the way he pssses the ball. His technique is Zidanesque and that can't be a bad thing.

He's also the most important player in one of the best German teams ever. Couldn't believe Madrid let him go:eek::eek:

How many seasons do you think we can hold on to him for lads?

The big german contingent in the team was a big reason he chose to come to us I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

The big german contingent in the team was a big reason he chose to come to us I feel.

Impossible question to answer.

His mission should be to lead Arsenal to greatness. Cannot leave until that is done, in fact he won't want to leave once that is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

Hopefully the BFG will keep an eye on him to make sure his head isn't turned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Taken from GunnerBlog and I have to say it hits the nail on the head for me.

We’re allowed to criticise Mesut Ozil…

Sometimes it feels as if we’re so eager for our record signing to do well that anything approaching criticism of his performance is deemed a kind of blasphemy. Equally, the tiniest contribution is hailed as a game-changer. I half expect someone to suggest that Santi Cazorla was afforded the room to score his second goal against Fulham due to a particularly well-timed Ozil fart.

Let’s get this straight: I love Ozil as much as the rest of you. I think his signing is one of the most exciting things to happen in my time as a fan. I think he’s generally been an excellent addition, and the effect of his arrival on the club has been dramatic and transformative.

I like the above statement. It's honest and I think it sums up how we feel deep down but some are afraid to say it. Hugely positive affect but I expected more from him in terms of direct assists, etc but think it will come.

Every post I have read on the page after this post are indirect comparisons of Ozil to Jesus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    Every post I have read on the page after this post are indirect comparisons of Ozil to Jesus

The difference is I believe in Ozil's abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Ya I don't like appearing overly critical of him but I have been underwhelmed so far and I am not afraid to say it. I watch every Arsenal game at least once. Like to watch most of them back. I know he keeps the ball well and a lot goes through him but I do expect a bit more. I appreciate he lacks runners but 2 assists in the last ten games is low. I would also say that the assist for Cazorla v Southampton was pretty basic too - I can't see why it was described as magic.

Anyway I know I will get a slew of posts back about all that goes through him, he attracts so much attention, etc and I do appreciate that but I think its a stretch if we are saying that's what we bought him for.

I expect him to be a sensation but he is far far from it at this point. That's in my opinion.

Michael Laudrup sacked :eek::eek:

Will Ozil do better than Cesc here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ya I don't like appearing overly critical of him but I have been underwhelmed so far and I am not afraid to say it. I watch every Arsenal game at least once. Like to watch most of them back. I know he keeps the ball well and a lot goes through him but I do expect a bit more. I appreciate he lacks runners but 2 assists in the last ten games is low. I would also say that the assist for Cazorla v Southampton was pretty basic too - I can't see why it was described as magic.

Anyway I know I will get a slew of posts back about all that goes through him, he attracts so much attention, etc and I do appreciate that but I think its a stretch if we are saying that's what we bought him for.

I expect him to be a sensation but he is far far from it at this point. That's in my opinion.

I hear ya buddy. Worry not, he'll improve from being a good conduit to being instrumental.

I'm struggling to think of any midfielders that settled in quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

gosplan wrote: »
    I hear ya buddy. Worry not, he'll improve from being a good conduit to being instrumental.

I'm struggling to think of any midfielders that settled in quickly.

Santiiiiii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Michael Laudrup sacked :eek::eek:

No surprise, they have been terrible since this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

wawaman wrote: »

The curse of European football for smaller clubs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Missing a lot of players incuding Michu, three points from the middle of the table, won them their first throphy since time began... Its a crazy decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

FearDark wrote: »
    Missing a lot of players incuding Michu, three points from the middle of the table, won them their first throphy since time began... Its a crazy decision.

Especially considering they're still in the Europa League and FA Cup! Fair enough, their league form has been pretty poor but it's hardly been disastrous, they'll most likely stay up, and with a few decent cup runs, is there really that much difference between 10th and 17th?

just saw there Wengers 1000th game in charge is the away game to Chelsea, what a way to end Mourinhos record hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Raf32 wrote: »
    just saw there Wengers 1000th game in charge is the away game to Chelsea, what a way to end Mourinhos record hopefully!

Hope it's not. As that means we lose to Liverpool in the FA Cup!
    Will be at WHL otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Unless we qualify in the FA Cup and then the Swansea game is re-scheduled to a date before the Chelsea game, but that's unlikely. (The re-scheduling bit)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

No surprise, they [Swansea] have been terrible since this time last year

I certainly wouldn't go that far. They were excellent for a while and obviously raised your expectations of them, along with many others; but now I think they are performing close to their level.

Maybe when Michu comes back, things will change.

Bfp8MZdCAAArNiJ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

^^Just shows how crazy the world of football management is.

Rodgers is barely in the Liverpool job a wet day and he's the 4th longest serving boss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Will Ozil do better than Cesc here?

Hard to say, different positions.

Ozil needs a brillant a mobile striker like Suarez, Ageruo to see the best out of him.

Dortmund have a fella upfront who would suit his style, Pierre Aubameyang.He is young Henry quick.Not a bad player either.

Cesc was the best young midfielder I have ever seen, pity he is wasting his best years at Barca in the shadow of Messi, Neymar, Iniesta etc.

At his age he should be a Ballon D'or contender.

His potential was world's best, he's just a squad player now.

• Advertisement

See when ozil was at madrid he had ronaldo benzema and great players around him and against much weaker opposition

At arsenal he has only giroud infornt of him who isnt very mobile so he cant be effective as he could be. Walcott upfront when he comes back should he an option considered.

Podolski is a big let down in my eyes this is a man who has scored how many goals for a top class german international side injuries aside he should be stepping up to the plate now and start banging them in and communicating well with ozil.

We really need players to step up to the plate now as we enter crunch time in the league ozil and podolski are two that could really make a difference if they step it up a gear imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Hard to say, different positions.

Ozil needs a brillant a mobile striker like Suarez, Ageruo to see the best out of him.

Dortmund have a fella upfront who would suit his style, Pierre Aubameyang.He is young Henry quick.Not a bad player either.

Cesc was the best young midfielder I have ever seen, pity he is wasting his best years at Barca in the shadow of Messi, Neymar, Iniesta etc.

At his age he should be a Ballon D'or contender.

His potential was world's best, he's just a squad player now.

I don't know were people get this perception that Fabregas is a squad player at Barcelona he made just as many appearance for Barcelona as he did for Arsenal and saw somewhere the other day he is leading the way this year for Barcelona with assists.

I don't know were people get this perception that Fabregas is a squad player at Barcelona he made just as many appearance for Barcelona as he did for Arsenal and saw somewhere the other day he is leading the way this year for Barcelona with assists.

He was a one man team here for a few years.

He set the standard so high for himself, that at Barca he has to be the main man or else he is kind of a let down.

It's an unfair expectation maybe, but he was ranked the best young midfielder in the world when he left.

If he left Barca tomorrow, they wouldn't even miss him.

With the signing of Ozil we have only just pushed on without him.

He could have become a legend here.

You get the feeling he will never be one at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

He was a one man team here for a few years.

He set the standard so high for himself, that at Barca he has to be the main man or else he is kind of a let down.

It's an unfair expectation maybe, but he was ranked the best young midfielder in the world when he left.

If he left Barca tomorrow, they wouldn't even miss him.

With the signing of Ozil we have only just pushed on without him.

He could have become a legend here.

You get the feeling he will never be one at Barca.

He'll be back sooner rather than later going by Wenger, hopefully.

Arsene Wenger stated last July that Fabregas had decided to give it another 12 months, commenting: "At the moment, Fabregas has decided to stay one more year at Barcelona, we have the clause in the contract so we would be on alert but, at the moment, that’s not something we're after."

I forgot how good he actually was great video without a doubt one of the best in the world.
    Id happily swap him for ozil in the morning and id throw in monreal aswell :p

cheers Y2KBOS86, you have sent me to bed heartbroken now :pac:

Just read there that puma are willing to give up to 15million pound to arsene wenger to help sign there main puma boy balotelli in the summer so that he will be wearing puma.

I cant see that happening. Would you like to see super mario at arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Just read there that puma are willing to give up to 15million pound to arsene wenger to help sign there main puma boy balotelli in the summer so that he will be wearing puma.

I cant see that happening. Would you like to see super mario at arsenal?

He seems to have copped himself on a good bit and under Wenger he could be kept that way. He would definitely be a serious addition to the squad, an out and out striker who is relatively proven in the PL and in great form for Milan. In spite of that I agree with you that it won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'd love to see it, he was great at city. Though I doubt wenger would sign a player with such a questionable character

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement