Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

niallo27 wrote: »
    We had an arsenal supporter on the previous page saying lack of firepower may cost you and he got a few thanks and people agreed with him. I say the same thing and I'm put down straight away. I think not having a top striker will cost you. That's just my opinion.

Agree here, Giroud imo is a top player but not a top striker and ultimately the lack of a 20-25 goal a season striker will catch up on us especially in the big games. Absolutely love Giroud though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

btw this is definitely the quickest arsenal thread i have been a part of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

We had an arsenal supporter on the previous page saying lack of firepower may cost you and he got a few thanks and people agreed with him. I say the same thing and I'm put down straight away. I think not having a top striker will cost you. That's just my opinion.

I think it's more the point of you using Jose shiite talk Mourinho as a reference point.

At the end of the day two of the top 3 teams have not got a real world class CF but yet here we are still sitting top were we have most of the season and Chelsea are battling away.

Can we win the league can Chelsea sure as hell they can once we continue to defend well and other players continue to chip in with goals there shouldn't be a problem would a Suarez help and be welcome yes but we can certainly win the league and so can Chelsea without one.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Liverpool have the whole Spurs from last season going on? dependent on one player, making a few more look decent. If they dont get top 4 they are in massive trouble imo he will be gone and the rest of the team is average bar Sturridge.

In fairness no they play some good football have some decent players and have been missing both Sturridge and Suarez at different times and not fallen apart without them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Your logic falls down under scrutiny though. It certainly could be a factor, but it in no way has to be.

Raf32 wrote: »
    btw this is definitely the quickest arsenal thread i have been a part of

There was in the summer that hit the 10,000 mark in just over a month ;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Your logic falls down under scrutiny though. It certainly could be a factor, but it in no way has to be.

Of course it doesn't have to be, but in 7 out of the last 8 years the champions have had a 20 goal a season man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Of course it doesn't have to be, but in 7 out of the last 8 years the champions have had a 20 goal a season man.

ATM, the only one close to the 20 goal mark is Aguero, who's out for another 3 weeks (I think) but still capable of doing it. Yaya Toure has 12, Giroud 10, Hazard 9.
    I guess my point is that this year it will be a matter of all around game that does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Well Suarez is already on 23... I'd fully expect Sturridge and Aguero to reach 20 as well and I think Ollie G will end up on 16 or 17.

A lot of people talk about our new more stable way of playing where we rarely go for the jugular at 2-0 we just see out the games. As such we've had ten 2-0 league wins this season where in the past there were a lot more 5-2s(easy!), 4-2s etc. Liverpool are at that stage now, look at the Stoke game a few weeks ago.

Less goals scored for me is a reflection of way less goals conceded, and the most important one is the massive improvement in points on the board the new system has brought.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

we're happy killing teams off at 2-0 now rather than risking it and chasing more goals like we used to. I like it. but i do have a bet that giroud would get 20 league goals this season, silly me! when he scored 5 early on I thought I was quids in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I think we are getting a little hung up on where exactly the goals come from. To be honest if we had Walcott we wouldn't need to worry as much. Walcott can get close to 20 a season from his RWF position. That shouldn't be overlooked. We play a bit differently - Giroud is both there to get goals but also a conduit for others to do so as well and Walcott is designed to be the chief beneficiary of that. Problem is we have no direct backup for Theo.

Just looking at Walcott's impact I think it's the big games we really miss him.

In his last 2 games where he played against the following teams:

Liverpool: Scored 1
    Chelsea: Scored 1
    Man United: Scored 1
    Man City: Scored 2
    Everton: Scored 1
    Newcastle: Scored 3
    Southampton Scored 1

Only Spurs out of the top 8 is where he didnt score in his last 2 games against them but did assist in the League.

Super record. Top big game player. That's where we will miss Theo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭ronjo

I think we are getting a little hung up on where exactly the goals come from. To be honest if we had Walcott we wouldn't need to worry as much. Walcott can get close to 20 a season from his RWF position. That shouldn't be overlooked. We play a bit differently - Giroud is both there to get goals but also a conduit for others to do so as well and Walcott is designed to be the chief beneficiary of that. Problem is we have no direct backup for Theo.

Southampton Scored 1

Only Spurs out of the top 8 is where he didnt score in his last 2 games against them but did assist in the League.

Thats some impressive record.
    I miss Theo :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Southampton Scored 1

Receives way too much criticism. Yes he can be annoying at times but so effective. His finishing just gets better and better too. Hope he doesn't lose any of that with this injury.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Theo kind of personifies Arsenal in a way - much better than he looks and never gets the full credit he deserves, just like the team does in the press.

The Arsenal style of play REQUIRES goals from every position. Even when we had Henry there were a hat full of goals form other areas. Having a striker that gets 25+ goals a season makes a big difference, takes the pressure off but ultimately its that team that wins the league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Hope we start strong tomorrow another slow start and it's curtains

I think we will draw tomorrow we will def score I think but can we keep Suarez and Sturrige quiet for a second time?

Would take a draw now be over the moon with a win a loss is not even thinkable

Hope we start strong tomorrow another slow start and it's curtains

I think we will draw tomorrow we will def score I think but can we keep Suarez and Sturrige quiet for a second time?

Would take a draw now be over the moon with a win a loss is not even thinkable

Sorry to break it to you that today isnt Friday :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

ronjo wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you that today isnt Friday :o

He wants a REALLY fast start? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Aside from Suarez and to a lesser extent Sturridge Pool are missing a lot of players in the back 6.

If we control the midfield and Mertescielny do a similar job on the other two to last time we should be picking up the three points.

Mertescielny. Did I just make that up? I'm claiming it anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Aside from Suarez and to a lesser extent Sturridge Pool are missing a lot of players in the back 6.

If we control the midfield and Mertescielny do a similar job on the other two to last time we should be picking up the three points.

Better than Kossecker anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Southampton Scored 1

Interesting when you read that and think about Suarez.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2552921/Suarez-flat-track-bully-Hes-scored-23-goals-season-NONE-against-four.html

No goals against the top four from last season and only four of the 23 are against teams in the top half of the table.

Six goals from 23 matches against Utd., Chelsea, Arsenal and City.
    Walcott has five goals from his last 8 matches against Liverpool, Utd. and City.

Let us hope that Suarez' record this season against the top four continues on Saturday.

Think it's been doing the rounds for a good while now im afraid!! Arseblog has had it for a while anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

What is the 'back 6'? It's a back 4 in front of the keeper with 2 CM's in front. And Suarez/Sturridge are none of those players, they play with a Front 3.

8-10 wrote: »
    What is the 'back 6'? It's a back 4 in front of the keeper with 2 CM's in front. And Suarez/Sturridge are none of those players, they play with a Front 3.

I think it's quite obvious he is speaking about the back 4 and the two midfielders that may sit in front of them possibly being Lucas and Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Jeez telling ya there's so many knit-pickers here. I know we live in world of technology but a little bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss.

Everton had 60% possession and got 19 shots off, they just couldn't manage Suarez or Sturridge, that's why they got hammered. Arteta crucial

Seen someone tweet that

If that's true I think we will win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I think it's quite obvious he is speaking about the back 4 and the two midfielders that may sit in front of them possibly being Lucas and Allen.

Yep true then. Full back 4 plus Lucas out. It's Arsenal's to lose really. Pool haven't beaten them at Anfield in the league since the last year they were in a Champions League final.

I'm putting a small bit on Arsenal -1 and a lot more on Arsenal draw-no-bet

They may be missing a back 4 but surely Skrtel has played more games than any other defender over last few years.

Johnson and Enrique get some amount of stick when they play on boards.

That said I think Kolo is a massive liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Liverpool always have a chance with Suarez and Sturridge.

Arteta is key to this game. If we can cut out any service to the front men they'll have to drop deep and that's where you want them; as far from Wojciech Sczcsneys goal as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Ugh im gonna be watching the match with two liverpudlians who are very sore losers and even sorer winners! Gonna be painful either way.

Noo wrote: »
    Ugh im gonna be watching the match with two liverpudlians who are very sore losers and even sorer winners! Gonna be painful either way.

So just your average Liverpool supporters then :).

• Advertisement

So just your average Liverpool supporters then :).

Extremely average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Jeez telling ya there's so many knit-pickers here. I know we live in world of technology but a little bit of common sense wouldn't go a miss.

It's 'nit-pickers' actually!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Anybody know anywhere good in Limerick city to watch the auld sports this weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In the 14 meetings starting with the Crouchygoal inspired 4-1 Liverpool have got something in 9 of the league meetings

30/01/13 Arsenal 2 - 2 Liverpool
    20/08/11 Arsenal 0 - 2 Liverpool
    17/04/11 Arsenal 1 - 1 Liverpool
    15/08/10 Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal
    21/04/09 Liverpool 4 - 4 Arsenal
    21/12/08 Arsenal 1 - 1 Liverpool
    05/04/08 Arsenal 1 - 1 Liverpool
    28/10/07 Liverpool 1 - 1 Arsenal
    31/03/07 Liverpool 4 - 1 Arsenal

So the Gunners record is not quite as overwhelming as both peeps here and on the Liverpool board seem to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anybody know anywhere good in Limerick city to watch the auld sports this weekend?

Still house around the corner from brown Thomas is a good football pub. It's a liverpool pub but always a good mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

mike65 wrote: »
    In the 14 meetings starting with the Crouchygoal inspired 4-1 Liverpool have got something in 9 of the league meetings

So the Gunners record is not quite as overwhelming as both peeps here and on the Liverpool board seem to think.

Or Arsenal have got something from 12 of the 14. Depends how you spin it.

• Advertisement

Ah come on

"Peeps"

Really???

Both are true.

stavros.jpg

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's 'nit-pickers' actually!;)

See told ya....:D

Somebody conveniently omitted the 2012/2009 results, I believe Arsenal won 2-0 on both occasions at Anfield in 2012 and they also won 2-1 home/away in 2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Somebody conveniently omitted the 2012/2009 results, I believe Arsenal won 2-0 on both occasions at Anfield in 2012 and they also won 2-1 home/away in 2009

your setting yourself up for nit-picking again :pac:

• Advertisement

You appear to have missed the point of the list. Have a think about what the results show, what I wrote about the list and all shall become clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Past results mean nothing. Now, stop whinging like a pack of Spurs fans missing out of the Top 4 yet again.

You appear to have missed the point of the list. Have a think about what the results show, what I wrote about the list and all shall become clear.

Have to say I took your post in a wrong way, but still Arsenal's record is Overwhelming if you pick the matches from 2009/10 season or even go back to start of last decade 2001/02...

And what about this seasons win too? Whats the point of list again?

Edit: sorry reread the guys original post explanation

Folks, quick question. Anytime I have gone to an Arsenal game I usually tie it in with 3/4 nights in London and stay central. Opportunity of a ticket coming up and one night stay is all I have. Any hotel recommendations for near the ground/North London?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Also have a question for Dublin Arsenal fans. I'll be in Dublin with buddy for the Ireland match this Saturday. He's a Liverpool fan so I'd like to take him to an Arsenal pub for the match just to upset him! Where would be best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

dorgasm wrote: »
    Also have a question for Dublin Arsenal fans. I'll be in Dublin with buddy for the Ireland match this Saturday. He's a Liverpool fan so I'd like to take him to an Arsenal pub for the match just to upset him! Where would be best?

The Mercantile on Dame Street. It's always packed out with Arsenal fans.

If vidic is off from utd in the summer

They have some rebuilding job to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

lads my cousin wants tickets for a match at the emirates with his child, where is the best place to source them??

If vidic is off from utd in the summer

They have some rebuilding job to do

With Evra and Ferdinand possibly gone too they will surely but investing heavily.
    Will the owners trust Moyes to do this?

The closer I get to this game the more confident I am. I hope its not misplaced.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement