Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

well they've given him a 6 year deal and he's already spent 65 million quid. so i'd say they'll trust him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

ronjo wrote: »
    With Evra and Ferdinand possibly gone to they will surely but investing heavily.
    Will the owners trust Moyes to do this?

The closer I get to this game the more confident I am. I hope its not misplaced.

Already 60milion gone from the kitty they surely will have to spend big on a CB now

That leaves them short in midfield again

If they don't get champions league how much money will the owners release

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If vidic is off from utd in the summer

They have some rebuilding job to do

Have to laugh at Fergie in all this, he really did leave them in the brown stuff. No midfield, players coming to the end of their contracts. Lots of work for Moyes in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

keano_afc wrote: »
    Have to laugh at Fergie in all this, he really did leave them in the brown stuff. No midfield, players coming to the end of their contracts. Lots of work for Moyes in the summer.

I suppose at least Moyes will be able to say its his team. After all he was quick enough to get rid of Fergie's back room staff. It won't be too long before all his players are gone too.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

United are loaded, they'll be fine.

Hopefully not for another season or two though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Just put in a hopeful estimate for the rest of our results, anyone want to do the same and see what ye come up with?

http://www.the-mustard.com/predictor.html

292751.jpg

Ye reckon 85 points would be enough to win the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Already 60milion gone from the kitty they surely will have to spend big on a CB now

That leaves them short in midfield again

If they don't get champions league how much money will the owners release

Also there's the risk of buying too many players, could take a season to get everybody geled.

Slow and steady would be their best option but to appease the fans they'll buy big and plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

L'prof wrote: »

If City get 85, then yes. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Folks, quick question. Anytime I have gone to an Arsenal game I usually tie it in with 3/4 nights in London and stay central. Opportunity of a ticket coming up and one night stay is all I have. Any hotel recommendations for near the ground/North London?

Cheers.

Try the Hilton Islington. I haven't stayed there, but the area is great.

If you fly into Heathrow, take the Piccadilly line to Kings Cross, then take the Nothern to Angel. It's five minutes from there.

It's about a 30 minute walk to the emirates.

It's on Upper St, which is a fantastic little area in itself. On match days, I love walking down it and running into other fans. Also, some of the restaurants along there are lovely.

See here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Dont like this quote at all from Gervinho
    "The difference between Roma and Arsenal? The Coach. Here my Coach, Rudi Garcia, gives me confidence."

Disrespectful towards Arsene and the difference is he is playing in a terrible slow league with a team in transition all be it a good team where he wont get slaughtered for making mistakes. Wasnt good enough at the top level unfortunately.

Sanogo starting for the under 21's now, going to try to get a look of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

L'prof wrote: »
    Just put in a hopeful estimate for the rest of our results, anyone want to do the same and see what ye come up with?

http://www.the-mustard.com/predictor.html

292751.jpg

I'm not sure L'prof, I just can't see City and Chelsea losing all their games to the end of the season.:P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

292772.png

Here's mine - was trying to be as realistic as i could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

9Ke6pwY.jpg

Cant get much closer than that!

I have a questionable Liverpool win over City, but everything I'd be happy enough with. Quite a few draws for Chelsea so they'll probably be closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Raf32 wrote: »
    Dont like this quote at all from Gervinho

Disrespectful towards Arsene and the difference is he is playing in a terrible slow league with a team in transition all be it a good team where he wont get slaughtered for making mistakes. Wasnt good enough at the top level unfortunately.

I don't see it as to disrespectful to be honest, it quite clear Gervinho needs an arm round him and is a real confidence player something he would never be given in the EPL or at Arsenal were you have players fighting for places in the first eleven.

Italian league is slower and affords more space so obviously he finds it easier there. He is still playing for a high quality side and just being honest it's not like he came out and said anything really disparaging about Wenger.

I wish him all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

Is there somewhere you can watch the under 21 game online? like through their website or anything?

Just saw it's behind closed doors. Nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just can't call tomorrow. Need to avoid defeat, a point at anfield would be very good, a win superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I'm not sure L'prof, I just can't see City and Chelsea losing all their games to the end of the season.:P

Well it seems to me Chelsea and City gonna go on strike due to unpaid wages as they are stuck on 25 games a piece....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Soups123 wrote: »
    Just can't call tomorrow. Need to avoid defeat, a point at anfield would be very good, a win superb.

To be honest I dont feel it would be very good.
    As of now I would call it just about acceptable much like the draw at Southampton (although Liverpool are better than Southampton).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

With Flannagan - Skrtel - Toure - Cissokho at the back, Arsenal should be able to win tomorrow.

• Advertisement

To be honest I dont feel it would be very good.
    As of now I would call it just about acceptable much like the draw at Southampton (although Liverpool are better than Southampton).

I think 4 points out of the next two games would be good going. I think any of the top sides that have similar fixtures would say the same. Most important thing is not to lose.

I remember after the Chelsea game we had a set of 7 fixtures before the Liverpool game and with Newcastle, West Ham, Aston Villa and Southampton in there we mostly said 18 or 19/21 would be a good return. We got 19/21 which was excellent going but I think what disappointed us was that we slipped up towards the end of the run against Southampton and this was exacerbated by Man City's excellent run until Chelsea. The more I look at it in hindsight that Chelsea result v City is more of a positive.

I think 4 points out of the next two would be great if we win the next 3 after that which is Sunderland, Stoke and Swansea.

If we start well, I'm sure we could get 3 points and No silly errors please.

I think 4 points out of the next two games would be good going. I think any of the top sides that have similar fixtures would say the same. Most important thing is not to lose.

I remember after the Chelsea game we had a set of 7 fixtures before the Liverpool game and with Newcastle, West Ham, Aston Villa and Southampton in there we mostly said 18 or 19/21 would be a good return. We got 19/21 which was excellent going but I think what disappointed us was that we slipped up towards the end of the run against Southampton and this was exacerbated by Man City's excellent run until Chelsea. The more I look at it in hindsight that Chelsea result is more of a positive.

I think 4 points out of the next two would be great if we win the next 3 after that which is Sunderland, Stoke and Swansea.

I would certainly take 4 points from the two games but I just personally have more confidence of the 3 coming tomorrow than Wednesday.

is that a joke about ribery missing the first leg against us?

is that s joke about ribery missing the first leg against us?

Linekar made some joke on twitter about him having an operation on his arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

He's had arse surgery and will miss the first leg.

It's on BBC too, apparently he had some surgery on his butt. Bayern haven't confirm yet whether he will miss the 1st leg or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's on BBC too, apparently he had some surgery on his butt. Bayern haven't confirm yet whether he will miss the 1st leg or not.

Think I saw a quote from Guardiola stating exactly that. (apart from the surgery on his butt bit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think they decided he needed surgery to remove his head, which was firmly rammed up his own ass, after his quotes about the ballon d'or.

greendom wrote: »
    Think I saw a quote from Guardiola stating exactly that. (apart from the surgery on his butt bit)

From BBC sport

"Bayern Munich winger Franck Ribery has been ruled out of the Bundesliga derby at Nuremberg on Saturday after undergoing surgery on a burst blood vessel in his buttock.
    Bayern says on its website the minor operation became necessary at short notice on Thursday "because bruising associated with the damage was affecting a nerve."
    Ribery will remain in hospital until Sunday, with medics carrying out an examination the following day to determine the length of his layoff.
    Bayern play Arsenal in the first leg of their Champions League round-of-16 tie on 19 February and Bayern coach Pep Guardiola said: ``Hopefully he'll be able to play in London.''

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I would certainly take 4 points from the two games but I just personally have more confidence of the 3 coming tomorrow than Wednesday.

I would be the exact opposite. . .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

This is a valid question and one in which i wont be surprised if the game gets called off.

Basically i just heard that There was a strike in London's whole Underground system and their is another one next week starting from Tuesday nigth until Friday morning.

I was planning to buy tickets to this game but like the other 60+k people, how the hell are we suppose to get to the match!

A few years ago, Arsenal vs West ham got canceled due to a similar issue where there was no underground transport. It was due to the weather and not a strike.

Any news about this?

i am Still in vietnam so dont clued up on all of this strike issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

This is a valid question and one in which i wont be surprised if the game gets called off.

Basically i just heard that There was a strike in London's whole Underground system and their is another one next week starting from Tuesday nigth until Friday morning.

I was planning to buy tickets to this game but like the other 60+k people, how the hell are we suppose to get to the match!

A few years ago, Arsenal vs West ham got canceled due to a similar issue where there was no underground transport. It was due to the weather and not a strike.

Any news about this?

i am Still in vietnam so dont clued up on all of this strike issues

Living in London and sharing season ticket at moment. Strike was last 2 days and was a lot of hassle, they are in negotations now again. At this stage I would be very suprised if it was called off, there was a partial service on some lines and the overground from highbury will be running.

Apprently bt paid a fortune for it so all sources saying it will go ahead. Tube strike caused chaos this week so I expect they will also try and avoid that again at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Living in London and sharing season ticket at moment. Strike was last 2 days and was a lot of hassle, they are in negotations now again. At this stage I would be very suprised if it was called off, there was a partial service on some lines and the overground from highbury will be running.

Apprently bt paid a fortune for it so all sources saying it will go ahead. Tube strike caused chaos this week so I expect they will also try and avoid that again at all costs.

But many wont be able to go to the match if no trains are running.

They will cancel the overgrund during match as there is no chance they will let 60k people use it!

i predict the stadium will be almost empty. Even i wouldnt be able to go!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

They will cancel the overgrund during match as there is no chance they will let 60k people use it!

The strike was only on the 4th and 5th, it's back running now, until the 11th and 12th.

This means that the Man United game is the only one affected.

Even then, while it's difficult to get around, it's not impossible. More buses were laid on, but traffic was still mental.

If you are going to go to the Man United game, I'd strongly recommend staying within walking distance of the stadium, perhaps fly into an airport that runs express trains to either Euston station or Kings Cross/St Pancras. Both of those stations less than an hour walk from the stadium, and plenty of bars on the way so you can wet your whistle.

If your flying in would you not get a hotel to stay in close to the stadium? When I went over for the Everton game stayed about 15 minute walk from the stadium so was handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

If we want to win the title ( AND I REALLY WANT TO WIN THE TITLE) we need to take 6 points this week I feel. WE have the toughest fixtures and with another tough run in march coming up we need to be in a good position.

I am also confident we can do it. Arteta to have a good game and cut off the supply to suarez and we will score. To be honest I am not too worried about sturridge. A good player who Suarez makes look better

Arsenal FC ‏@Arsenal 1m
    A statue of Dennis Bergkamp will be unveiled at Emirates Stadium on February 22. Full story: http://po.st/O0yEuW

About time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sanogo starting for the under 21's now, going to try to get a look of it!

How did he do?

• Advertisement

How did he do?

It was a closed match, so we don't know.

He was subbed after 60 mins in a NIL all draw.

EDIT: Nil all, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

1661906_280054172149313_1399474970_n.jpg

Wojciech Szczesny
    Giving my shirt to Bully on my 100th PL appearance. Just because I know he was there everytime!

Po moim setnym meczu w Premier League moja koszulke dostał Bully,bo jestem przekonany,że był on na każdym z tych meczów

A classy comment on a classy gesture.

You can't help but love that guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pellegrini makes a good point today.

Arsenal have been top for practically the entire season and held their nerve every week. This is a clear factor in our favour.

City were top for one week and put in their worst home performance of the year. I get that it was against Chelsea and were missing key players but they were quite poor.

I get why people are saying that City or Chelsea will win the league but everyone is consistently ignoring the mental side of things. The assumption is that neither team will blink when faced with title winning pressure.

All in all we're the only team that's been tested in that regard and we've done very very well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gosplan wrote: »
    Pellegrini makes a good point today.

Arsenal have been top for practically the entire season and held their nerve every week. This is a clear factor in our favour.

City were top for one week and put in their worst home performance of the year. I get that it was against Chelsea and were missing key players but they were quite poor.

I get why people are saying that City or Chelsea will win the league but everyone is consistently ignoring the mental side of things. The assumption is that neither team will blink when faced with title winning pressure.

All in all we're the only team that's been tested in that regard and we've done very very well.

It also kind of glosses over the fact we dropped points to chelsea, everton, united and city and stayed top by virtue of our record against lesser teams (plus two big wins against liverpool and Spurs of course).

We haven't been tested in the same situation yet that city were in on monday imo ie having to beat a direct title rival to get back on top.

We did crap when we had a tough run of fixtures over christmas and it's up to the team now to show they can do better. Our real resilience has been shown in how we have bounced back from bad results. These two matches are huge and they'll have an even tougher run next month. We'll know then if we can really pass the kind of test city failed on monday imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Mickeroo wrote: »

We did crap when we had a tough run of fixtures over christmas and it's up to the team now to show they can do better.

Seriously? Which Christmas was this?
    Between December 23rd and January 4th we played Chelsea, West Ham, Newcastle, Cardiff and Sp*rs. We won all those games bar the 0-0 draw with Chelsea.
    That was crap alright. Need to do better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

About time :)

And I'm going to that game. Excited :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Love this. Poldi has been at a few games.

David Price ‏@priceyd101

Look who was supporting the U21s this afternoon @Podolski10 @SergeGnabry @MesutOzil1088 pic.twitter.com/YNhX5O58UU

Bf5rMlCCEAE_gf8.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

G1032 wrote: »
    Seriously? Which Christmas was this?
    Between December 23rd and January 4th we played Chelsea, West Ham, Newcastle, Cardiff and Sp*rs. We won all those games bar the 0-0 draw with Chelsea.
    That was crap alright. Need to do better.

I'm referring to the Everton, City and Chelsea reults not the good results we got against the lesser teams. I was already on my holidays by then so it was christmas for me :pac:

I'm not looking to get people's backs up, just calling it the way I see it. I think the team has what it takes to win the title but I don't personally agree we've had a test as big as the one City had on monday night in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

The head on Ozil ha ha

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm referring to the Everton, City and Chelsea reults not the good results we got against the lesser teams. I was already on my holidays by then so it was christmas for me :pac:

I'm not looking to get people's backs up, just calling it the way I see it. I think the team has what it takes to win the title but I don't personally agree we've had a test as big as the one City had on monday night in the league.

I can't disagree with ya there. We have not won a big League game yet in my opinion either. I consider myself positive but in reality we need a big week this week in terms of results.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement