Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That has to be a massive boost for the lads playing to see them watching. You'd be desperate to impress them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That has to be a massive boost for the lads playing to see them watching. You'd be desperate to impress them.

All out in those vintage Wenger jackets to boot.
    Seems that some of the first team do turn up to watch some of their games. Wonder are they asked to attend or are they just curious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Our under-age teams don't seem to be doing very well compared to a few years ago. A few stand-out players and a few very average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Our under-age teams don't seem to be doing very well compared to a few years ago. A few stand-out players and a few very average.

Hasnt that always been the case though? Most players who come through arent good enough for Arsenal but manage to go on and have good careers in mid table sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hasnt that always been the case though? Most players who come through arent good enough for Arsenal but manage to go on and have good careers in mid table sides.

Yes but a few years ago they were winning or at least challenging for their leagues. Does not seem to be the case of late unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

The last time they won something of note was the 2009 FA Cup and only Wilshere from that team is in our first team squad.
    Here is that team.

1 James Shea
    2 Craig Eastmond
    3 Thomas Cruise
    4 Kyle Bartley
    5 Emmanuel Frimpong
    6 Luke Ayling
    7 Henri Lansbury
    8 Francis Coquelin
    9 Gilles Sunu
    10 Jack Wilshere
    11 Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (c)
    Substitutes:
    12 Rhys Murphy
    13 Charlie Mann
    14 Sanchez Watt
    15 Conor Henderson
    16 Cedric Evina

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

I can't disagree with ya there. We have not won a big League game yet in my opinion either. I consider myself positive but in reality we need a big week this week in terms of results.

We won a big champions LEAGUE game in Dortmund :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nice article on Giroud to set the scene before the big game tomorrow. Alan Smith has interviewed him for the Telegraph, and he comes across very nicely in it.
    I said something earlier in the season to a French newspaper and they made a big thing of it with the headline 'Legend!' I didn’t mean I wanted to become a legend at Arsenal, more that I want to make a mark in Arsenal’s history. I don’t want to come across as arrogant, saying I want to be the best ever. I just want to be remembered here.

EDIT: Here's the link, forgot to include it the last time. See here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I can't disagree with ya there. We have not won a big League game yet in my opinion either. I consider myself positive but in reality we need a big week this week in terms of results.

So Everton counts as a bad draw but Spurs and Liverpool don't count as decent wins.

I love that people are having a pop at Arsenal's record over my post.

What I'm trying to say is that the assumption is that when City and Chelsea get their noses in front, the pressure won't have any impact and they'll just continue to churn out decent results.

Though people want to have a go over any points dropped, Arsensl have been top of this league for 16 or 17 weeks. Yes they've picked up the occasional draw or loss (how dare they!) but they haven't bottled the top spot.

Look at last week vrs CP FFS. A match against a tricky oppenent to go top with a hugely weakened midfield. Massive pressure on the players. Bang, routine victory, composed performance and top again.

Will the other teams be able to do the same when asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

gosplan wrote: »
    So Everton counts as a bad draw but Spurs and Liverpool don't count as decent wins.

What I'm trying to say is that the assumption is that when City and Chelsea get their noses in front, the pressure won't have any impact and they'll just continue to churn out decent results.

Though people want to have a go over any points dropped, Arsensl have been top of this league for 16 or 17 weeks. Yes they've picked up the occasional draw or loss (how dare they!) but they haven't bottled the top spot.

Look at last week vrs CP FFS. A match against a tricky oppenent to go top with a hugely weakened midfield. Massive pressure on the players. Bang, routine victory, composed performance and top again.

Can you please point out to me where I said any of that? I think you need to take a step back and relax a minute before you go on a rant that completely misquotes and misinterprets people.

I never commented once on any specific game but for what it is worth I don't class the home wins v Liverpool or Spurs as big big league results for the reason that we achieve them so regularly.

We haven't beaten Manchester United in 3 years and that was a meaningless game for them. We have beaten them something like twice in our last 15 games.

We last beat City 2 years ago. We last beat Chelsea 2 and a half years ago or twice in the past 12 games.

That's where we need to see the change. I certainly wasn't knocking Arsenal this year as anyone can see from all my posts but I won't stick my head in the sand either and pretend we have passed a challenge yet that we haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I didn't say we haven't had any big results, I specifically singled out the Tottenham and Liverpool results as big wins.

I'm also not saying there was no pressure on the team in the likes of the CP match either but I refuse to equate it with having to beat someone like Chelsea to go top again, which is what City were faced with and failed to do.

I'm not saying Arsenal haven't been tested, I'm saying they haven't been tested in the way City were on Monday night (Chelsea were tested too obviously but City were the ones coming into the weekend on top and needing a win to regain that spot).

I really don't think I'm being unfair on the team at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

If your flying in would you not get a hotel to stay in close to the stadium? When I went over for the Everton game stayed about 15 minute walk from the stadium so was handy enough.

I don't fly mate I live in London but north East London. I could drive but where to park? Don't forget the buses need to cope with the rush hour of people trying to get back home. This is a mid week kick off!

Won't be a full house in the stadium that's for sure.

Can you please point out to me where I said any of that? I think you need to take a step back and relax a minute before you go on a rant that completely misquotes and misinterprets people.

How about here...
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    We did crap when we had a tough run of fixtures over christmas
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm referring to the Everton, City and Chelsea reults.
    I can't disagree with ya there. We have not won a big League game yet in my opinion either.

So can you tell me how I've misquoted or misinterpreted you now? Everton included in a list of crap results that you agree with and then you say we haven't had a big win yet.

So now your turn. Explain please.

And the thing about all of this is that I'm not talking about big teams and big games. I'm talking about the pressure of being top of the league in every game we play.

Most people seem to understand that. However some really seem to believe that every victory we've had has been routine, the bare minimum expected, and every dropped points an abject failure.

If you want to argue that Arsenal have never passed a test then that's up to you. My point is that there's a pressure that comes with being at the top of the table and they've coped well with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

Yes but a few years ago they were winning or at least challenging for their leagues. Does not seem to be the case of late unfortunately.

They let 27 players go last summer and they weren't replaced for the most part. Squads are supposed to be very thin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Was looking forward to watching match today so checked tv guide on sky and its on bloody bt sports. Its gone to the dogs lately with matches shared between bt and sky sports.
    Sky is dear enough as it is and im not paying another 20 a month for bt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Was looking forward to watching match today so checked tv guide on sky and its on bloody bt sports. Its gone to the dogs lately with matches shared between bt and sky sports.
    Sky is dear enough as it is and im not paying another 20 a month for bt.

Sky box F5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

niallo27 wrote: »
    Sky box F5

Donedeal, there's 100's.

How about here...

So can you tell me how I've misquoted or misinterpreted you now? Everton included in a list of crap results that you agree with and then you say we haven't had a big win yet.

So now your turn. Explain please.

Ha again misquoting and picking out select quotes! I agreed with this part of the post below as you could easily discern if you read it in a calm fashion.

{I'm not looking to get people's backs up, just calling it the way I see it. I think the team has what it takes to win the title but I don't personally agree we've had a test as big as the one City had on monday night in the league.}

This is what I agreed with and again no where did I mention the Everton draw or run down the Spurs or Liverpool result. In fact if you read over the Everton game thread period I thought that was a good result that day and I made clear that the Liverpool and Spurs wins were good ones but not big results IMO.

Furthermore as to your point below about doing well against the lesser teams I completely agree as pointed out in my posts about two pages back and the superb run we put together post Chelsea and how the Southampton result should not be judged negatively especially due to Man City's excellent form pre Monday night.

For the record he big games for me for the rest of the year in the League in terms of us showing a big time mentality are:

Man United
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

For the record he big games for me for the rest of the year in the League in terms of us showing a big time mentality are:

Man United
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Liverpool

Maybe we should put the away games at Spurs and Everton as well? Well, at least Spurs because of the mindset behind the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

What about Dortmund and Napoli?

Or do they not count when arguing we have a weak mentality against big teams ;).

For the record I do think we have a mental block against United but we are top and have been top for most this season I think it's time we started showing and having some confidence in the team. We may not win the league but this is a brilliant team who will be there or there abouts City and Chelsea aren't going to whitewash the league as lots would have you believe.

Or do they not count when arguing we have a weak mentality against big teams ;).

I think Spanish Johnny was talking about the PL.
    But yeah, I'd agree, the away win to Dortmund was probably the most important we had all year, especially after losing to them at the Emirates.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I think Spanish Johnny was talking about the PL.
    But yeah, I'd agree, the away win to Dortmund was probably the most important we had all year, especially after losing to them at the Emirates.

I know but you can't claim we have lost to big teams and then discount the Champions League were we have beaten some of the best teams in Europe to suit a debate ;).

The two games against Dortmund were great games imo really tight games and games were we showed what we can do imo :),

Maybe we should put the away games at Spurs and Everton as well? Well, at least Spurs because of the mindset behind the game.

Sorry yes of course. I meant to rank them in order and those two are certainly next. Can't remember a win in Goodison for a while?

For the record I do think we have a mental block against United but we are top and have been top for most this season I think it's time we started showing and having some confidence in the team. We may not win the league but this is a brilliant team who will be there or there abouts City and Chelsea aren't going to whitewash the league as lots would have you believe.

I agree Marty. I was just talking in a League context. That Dortmund game was a brilliant result. I think we will go very close against Bayern too.

The United thing really is a huge block. It seems to constantly unnerve us, fans, team alike. Be such a huge block to get over. That's why I personally rank it as the most important.

I do have belief in this team - I think my posts show that and I am extremely positive about them. I don't think we will get over the line this year simply due to the fact we may not be strong enough overall. I am fine with that as I think we are developing really well. It won't be because we bottle it. We have genuinely hard teams to play and we are missing our best goalscorer.

If we all get to 30 games within 3 points of each other would this be the most exciting finish yet given its the rare event of a 3 team title race?

• Advertisement

I have to say, I will be very disappointed if we don't beat United on Wednesday.
    If not now, then when?

I have to say, I will be very disappointed if we don't beat United on Wednesday.
    If not now, then when?

Ya you would have to wonder! Any risk this game is not played with the Tube strike?

The fact we have only beaten them a couple of times since 2006 in the League is shameful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ya you would have to wonder! Any risk this game is not played with the Tube strike?

The fact we have only beaten them a couple of times since 2006 in the League is shameful.

Liverpool have a similar enough record against us and its not stopping their fans being confident so we should be too on wednesday. 1st vs 7th!

Calm fella is our Olivier Giroud!

"I understand that Arsenal fans want a big name, but I try to stay calm, to take it easy and concentrate on my job, train well, and repay the confidence of the boss. I know I’m not a player on the same level as someone like Suarez – because he’s been amazing this season – but I know I can improve again. That’s why I’m quite confident of my future here. you’ve always got to believe in your quality and remember that people trust you. I feel really good here and I really want to win something with this club."

I agree Marty. I was just talking in a League context. That Dortmund game was a brilliant result. I think we will go very close against Bayern too.

The United thing really is a huge block. It seems to constantly unnerve us, fans, team alike. Be such a huge block to get over. That's why I personally rank it as the most important.

I do have belief in this team - I think my posts show that and I am extremely positive about them. I don't think we will get over the line this year simply due to the fact we may not be strong enough overall. I am fine with that as I think we are developing really well. It won't be because we bottle it. We have genuinely hard teams to play and we are missing our best goalscorer.

If we all get to 30 games within 3 points of each other would this be the most exciting finish yet given its the rare event of a 3 team title race?

I really do think we are good enough to beat any of the teams in this league. I believed this team would challenge for the league before the season and as the season has gone on my confidence has grown.

I prseume you mean Walcott? I do agree but he has barely played this season to be fair and we have coped fine without him. I think Ramsey in his form is a bigger loss than Walcott at the moment. Really hope giroud can up his game the next few weeks and start getting some crucial goals.

If not now, then when?

I will be to I was raging over the game in Old Trafford they were muck and there for the taking but we really do seem to have some sort of block against them to the point were I'm more confident of taking 3 points against Liverpool in Anfield than I am of taking 3 point against United in the Emirates.

It willl probably end up the other way around :o.

Dying for today's game.

• Advertisement

I really do think we are good enough to beat any of the teams in this league. I believed this team would challenge for the league before the season and as the season has gone on my confidence has grown.

I prseume you mean Walcott? I do agree but he has barely played this season to be fair and we have coped fine without him. I think Ramsey in his form is a bigger loss than Walcott at the moment. Really hope giroud can up his game the next few weeks and start getting some crucial goals.

I will be to I was raging over the game in Old Trafford they were muck and there for the taking but we really do seem to have some sort of block against them to the point were I'm more confident of taking 3 points against Liverpool in Anfield than I am of taking 3 point against United in the Emirates.

It willl probably end up the other way around :o.

Dying for today's game.

True but I posted a thing about Walcott's record against the top 8 the other day and his record is amazing. Real big day contributor in form of goals. As Arseblog said in his column - an inkling about Ozil today.

Ah it all comes down to semantics on boards, doesn't it.

Apologies if I misinterpret things such as 'we haven't had any big wins yet' to mean that our wins to date were not big.

What a rant I was on.

Apologies if I misinterpret things such as 'we haven't had any big wins yet' to mean that our wins to date were not big.

What a rant I was on.

In fairness I love a good well thought out rant whether I agree or not :).

Now the ones colonialboy used to come out with on the other hand or the transfer window posters who re appear and disappear on the other hand are a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Sorry yes of course. I meant to rank them in order and those two are certainly next. Can't remember a win in Goodison for a while?

only two years ago, 1-0 win Vermalean scored I believe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

History suggests that if it was going to be cancelled, we would have heard about it yesterday. I'd say if there's no confirmation of a change by the end of today, then it's a cert to be played.

She wore also has an article on it(where I got the Friday info from) that says the best case scenario if it is changed is the end of February, start of March.

See here.

Here's hoping for a bit of this today

What a rant I was on.

It does! I just don't like being equated with knocking this side when the complete opposite is true and that's backed up by my posts in general I think.

Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Wilshere, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Ozil, Giroud

subs: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Rosicky, Gnabry, Podolski, Bendtner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I'm surprised to hear some of our fans saying they would be happy enough with a draw here today. I think nothing less than a win will do to keep our title hopes alive, these are the type of games we must win like the ones away to Spurs and Everton to keep on top of City and Chelsea. Not only will a win here keep us top, but it will give the squad the belief and boost that they need coming into these massive run of games.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Szczesny, Sagna, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Wilshere, Arteta, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Cazorla, Ozil, Giroud

subs: Fabianski, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Rosicky, Gnabry, Podolski, Bendtner

Love the attacking side of it - prefer Gibbs over Monreal especially against Sterling. Maybe Gibbs is still not 100%.

• Advertisement

2r61mbk.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I'm surprised to hear some of our fans saying they would be happy enough with a draw here today. I think nothing less than a win will do to keep our title hopes alive, these are the type of games we must win like the ones away to Spurs and Everton to keep on top of City and Chelsea. Not only will a win here keep us top, but it will give the squad the belief and boost that they need coming into these massive run of games.

yeah i'd agree with there.

I think arsenal can only afford to drop around 7 more points if they want to win the league.
    the further they go without dropping them the better too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

keep Suarez and Gerrard quiet, then we will win. Liverpool are beatable, they ain't city or Chelsea.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ffs.

seriously????

Theres always next season.

I don't know what to say:(

This time of year again when we bottle it, no wonder the pundits slate us and dont take us seriously!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Wheels.
    Off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement