Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    There is only one player associated with that term in my mind. It's not one I'd be interested in (re-)signing either.

#letsbringbackfrannyjefferscampaign #gettweetingfolks ;)

No on a serious note the biggest fox in the box we have had since Wright was probably Eduardo until he was cruelly chopped down in his prime with that awful tackle. Suker might have been another if we got him earlier and he had stayed longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

1604837_734280446602332_1275258841_n.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Bild reporting that Draxler will stay with Schalke 'till the Summer, unless a huge bid of 50 - 60 million is launched...

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/nachgehakt/draxler-bleibt-auf-schalke-hacken-dran-34421360.bild.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

greendom wrote: »
    Bild reporting that Draxler will stay with Schalke 'till the Summer, unless a huge bid of 50 - 60 million is launched...

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/nachgehakt/draxler-bleibt-auf-schalke-hacken-dran-34421360.bild.html

Does he not have a release clause of 37 million or does that just kick in for summer perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Does he not have a release clause of 37 million or does that just kick in for summer perhaps?

His 45.5 mil Euro clause can only be triggered between seasons (i.e. summer break). Let him play a good WC, and there might be a hunt for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Well ****...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Felt nothing was going to happen during this window all along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I guess that it doesn't really make a difference.

He's for the future anyway. Chances are he won't play a lot in the WC so we'll just pick him up then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

On the other hand the Bild is not that reliable and there is still plenty of time for things to change

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It's one newspaper report I wouldn't write it off yet. Let's see where we are at this time next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

greendom wrote: »
    On the other hand the Bild is not that reliable and there is still plenty of time for things to change

True but I just can't see Arsenal, Schalke or Draxler himself rushing this transfer along as it serves no one. WC year does he really need or want to take that risk so close, Svhalke will be loosing there best playe Only way I see it happening is if we offer silly money which we never do.

Big transfers rarely happen in January. The Mata one to United is the exception to the rule were you had a world class player itching for game time and a manager who had no desire to play or keep him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Doesn't seem very consistent with the reports up until now, would be more inclined to believe they want 5m more than we're offering.

If we do not sign somebody this window who adds to the first team/squad meaningfully we are basically conceding the race for the title. There's no way we can get to the end of the season with the run of games we have in feb/march with our current squad and expect to be coming out on top. Too demanding.

HazDanz wrote: »
    If we do not sign somebody this window who adds to the first team/squad meaningfully we are basically conceding the race for the title. There's no way we can get to the end of the season with the run of games we have in feb/march with our current squad and expect to be coming out on top. Too demanding.

Didn't we hear the same thing said about November/ December? We came out on top then to ;)

Didn't we hear the same thing said about November/ December? We came out on top then to ;)

I don't know, December... Everton/City/Chelsea we didn't pick up 7 points from a possible 9. I don't think we can repeat a blip like that this time. We have no cushion anymore and City are looking stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It was our worst run of form all season but had the luxury of a 5 or 6 point cushion going into it. Unless city and Chelsea have a drastic dip in form soon we won't have that much margin for error this time.

Having said that, I fully believe the team are good enough to do well against the big boys even without signings, whether they actually will or not is the worry though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

that away kit that was posted is a 'shopped dortmund kit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Great touch by Olsson to set up Afobe for U21s 1-0 away win over Chelsea in the Premier League Cup.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It was our worst run of form all season but had the luxury of a 5 or 6 point cushion going into it. Unless city and Chelsea have a drastic dip in form soon we won't have that much margin for error this time.

Having said that, I fully believe the team are good enough to do well against the big boys even without signings, whether they actually will or not is the worry though.

Absolutely, we are a match for any of the boys. What I would be worried about is the rapid succession of games and freshness of players for the intensity required against the opposition.

In addition if Giroud gets injured at all or mert/kos get knocked for even a wee while, we'll be putting ourselves under pressure.

We are not talking about breaking the bank, just one or two experienced players who could do a job if asked to come in.

A Draxler would be great but filler would be nice too just to keep us tipping along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

As tayto has said a few times it's a mental thing with United and a Mourinho Chelsea. We are better then both this season but lost due to us not really showin up. Especially at United. We are more then capable of beating either of them. City will be tough but, if the defence keep it tight City will always give up a chance or two. Everton played out of their skin against us last time ad will want to be at their very very best to get another good result.

Really hope we bring in some sort of striker. Giroud is going to be injured at some point and if it hits at a bad time our title challenge could be over

• Advertisement

I'm not saying we will win the league or that I wouldnt like a player or two to come in.

But we have been hearing all season long, wait till Arsenal play this or that team, wait till November, wait till December yet here we are end of January still top and still fighting.

With or without additions we have as much chance as Chelsea or City to win the title. Yea we will drop points but you can be sure they will to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Or they could subsidise some tickets for fans instead of increasing the already ludicrous prices!

tim payton ‏@timpayton 10 mins
    Getting ready to go on @talkSPORT just after 11pm to talk FA Cup, ticket prices & better deals for all fans as commercial & tv income rises

wonder what he'll have to say on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭DenMan

Vela scored a beauty today.

Crazy how much he's come along since joining Real Sociedad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Vela scored a beauty today.

Crazy how much he's come along since joining Real Sociedad.

He was always decent but I don't think he was suited to the Prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

New home kit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Maybe I am turning into a 40 something year old grouch but I really could not give a flying fcuk what the new jersey is like as long as its bringing in the cash for transfers.

So whats the team tonight??

Szcz
    Sagna BFG Kos Nacho
    Flam Ramsey Ozil
    Gnab Giroud Santi

Would prefer Pod to start instead of Gnabry but not sure if he would move Santi to the right?
    Gibbs, Arteta, Rosicky and Pod obviously could all justify their places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

ronjo wrote: »
    Maybe I am turning into a 40 something year old grouch but I really could not give a flying fcuk what the new jersey is like as long as its bringing in the cash for transfers.

So whats the team tonight??

Szcz
    Sagna BFG Kos Nacho
    Flam Ramsey Ozil
    Gnab Giroud Santi

Would prefer Pod to start instead of Gnabry but not sure if he would move Santi to the right?
    Gibbs, Arteta, Rosicky and Pod obviously could all justify their places

Good problems

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

More PUMA apparel from Arseblog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

http://www.givemesport.com/424606-arsenal-agree-contract-extension-with-bacary-sagna?tg=/football

Don't know how reliable this is but made me happy a while ago and hopefully its true!

• Advertisement

Sagna is my favourite RB for Arsenal ever. If he leaves I might just cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

HazDanz wrote: »
    Sagna is my favourite RB for Arsenal ever. If he leaves I might just cry.

I know we would probably get a replacement but I think Sagna is unbelievable, few of his crosses leave a lot to be desired but he is up and down the line all day and solid in defense which is the most important thing, don't want to be harsh on Jenks but he is not the answer for right back at this high level

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ironkiwi wrote: »
    http://www.givemesport.com/424606-arsenal-agree-contract-extension-with-bacary-sagna?tg=/football

Don't know how reliable this is but made me happy a while ago and hopefully its true!

ITV are running with the same report from France. Would love it to be true.

See here.

ironkiwi wrote: »
    I know we would probably get a replacement but I think Sagna is unbelievable, few of his crosses leave a lot to be desired but he is up and down the line all day and solid in defense which is the most important thing, don't want to be harsh on Jenks but he is not the answer for right back at this high level

Not only that he also stands up when our backs our against the wall when heading up sh*t creek.

His goal against Sp*rs two seasons ago when we were two nil down against them is burnt into my memory!

Also against Cardiff this season he just started throwing himself into the box trying to get a goal as no one else looked likely and his determination resulted in us getting that bendtner goal.

Hugh respect for the man.

We would be losing a huge target for Szcz's goal kicks too if Sanga left. Nearly all of his long kick outs go to Sanga and more often then not he wins the header. Its a fairly simple thing but it can help us out a lot when the pressure is on.

No-one would prefer Coleman?

I find that surprising tbh.

Sagna's been a great servant to the club, but at 30 and Jenks his understudy, I would have thought now was the perfect time to sell and buy his replacement in Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Sagna's been a great servant to the club, but at 30 and Jenks his understudy, I would have thought now was the perfect time to sell and buy his replacement in Coleman.

There's always a risk that Coleman could go badly, you won't get that with Sagna for a few years yet.

Everton would surely be looking at north of 15million for Coleman. I'm still unsure of him. Especially for that price.

I would love an Irish guy in the team tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

30 is not the time to sell it's the time to use, it's mid peak for a full back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hasn't Coleman mostly being playing as a right midfielder this season?
    Bak is a pro, Mr. Consistant which is what I like from my defenders. A 3 year deal for him is great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I know what ya mean but I think there are two great seasons left in Sagna. I think if we lost him now he would be a huge loss to this teams development at a critical stage. He may seem quiet but with Per and Flamini I think he a huge leader in the squad and on the field. I don't think you can replace that easily.

No need to break up the great unit we have either. When he starts to drop a little in a couple of years I think he will remain a great backup centre back.

Also while he gets critiscised a lot for his crossing I think it's been exceptional lately. He puts in some brilliant balls to Giroud this season and Bendtner against United.

In fact I have been convinced for a while now that we are going to see an exquisite Sagna cross being the source of a vital vital goal in one of the big games coming up!

We've the best back four we've had in a very long time, arguably the best we've had under Wenger. Would be madness not to keep them together for as long as we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I think Sagna is quite convincingly a better defender than Coleman.

Sagna provides a lot when defending corners and he has a sublime strength that is rare in full backs these days.

Also, Sagna is perfectly capable of playing as a centre back. We've been fortunate this season but we really are due an injury to Koscielny and Mertesacker in the next 12 months, and we may end up needing Sagna to step in.
    We've the best back four we've had in a very long time, arguably the best we've had under Wenger. Would be madness not to keep them together for as long as we can.

Sums it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

A lot of talk that draxler is having a medical, and news be announced at 6.

Source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

OOOOOH Big Call !!!

97/98

Dixon Adams Bould Winterburn (Bould played a few more games than Keown)

33 goals conceded in league

03/04

Lauren Campbell Toure Cole

26 goals conceded in league

Between this year and invincibles and perhaps you are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What is with people not posting any sources whatsoever, especially with sensational news like that.

What is with people not posting any sources whatsoever, especially with sensational news like that.

Twitter culture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10601900/Arsenal-have-reached-their-Promised-Land-Why-2014-is-such-a-big-year-for-Arsene-Wenger-and-the-Gunners.html

Over 70m more revenue from next year onwards. Get out the marquees boys

also people need to choose their twitter followings more carefully, I haven't seen anything about a Draxler medical.

SOURCE GOD DAMMIT!!!! :mad:

Don't toy with my emotions!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement