Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Its funny that the two teams with the biggest goal difference are 3rd and 4th.

Large wins only get you 3 points. Large defeats still only get you nothing. As City have shown its the stupid dropped points that hurt your points total.

Today was interesting for a few reasons.

Chelsea cant hide in the shadows any more - little horse or not.
    City aren't that great under pressure.
    Liverpool still think they can win the title and have enough big games to decide where the trophy will go
    Arsenal seem to have an air of luck about them. Lose 5-1 and still stay in second, only one point behind.

The way things are going we could come out of these difficult fixtures not having played well and still be only a few points off the top. After all of the four tough matches in a row - including this one - only two were league. The three after that should set us up nicely for the run in and we'll see where we are then.

Hear hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

"Sorry guys, this was a poor game of the whole team. But we have to stand together in this defeat. We have to get our heads sorted now and get ready for the next very important games again."

BFG

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

A dreadfully disappointing game, but not the end of our season, plenty of games left in which to gain and lose points.

First on the list of things to sort would be our poor starts recently.

After that comes the full game form of some of our players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Its not on excuse though... Ozil doesn't have a good enough striker ahead of him.

You stick a fast Striker ahead of him and he'll shine. Giroud plays like he's got stone boots on.
    Imo Ozil looked best when Walcott was playing.
    Nonsense. Hazard hasn't had a decent striker ahead of him all season and he's tearing up the league. Ozil has been poor since mid December after a decent start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Pighead wrote: »
    Nonsense. Hazard hasn't had a decent striker ahead of him all season and he's tearing up the league. Ozil has been poor since mid December after a decent start.

Nonsense. Hazard is a very different player to Ozil :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

To be fair he's had a season to adjust to the league whereas Ozil hasn't.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i hope people are right about ozil because he's starting to remind me of arshavin

Ah here i think thats harsh. He needs time to adjust to the English game. I think we expected too much just by mere virtue of paying 42m for a player. He is in a new country, exposed to a whole new language and culture and many other different aspects of life to adjust to. Jonny Sexton only said last week that even the simplest things like going shopping can be tough in a new country.

Robert Pires needed a second season to bed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Completely different players, comparing them is nonsense

thread is moving so quick I never saw the other replies before I posted :o

Gringo180 wrote: »
    To be fair he's had a season to adjust to the league whereas Ozil hasn't.

It wasnt all rosy for Hazard last season either. Ozil will come good trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Ah here i think thats harsh. He needs time to adjust to the English game. I think we expected too much just by mere virtue of paying 42m for a player. He is in a new country, exposed to a whole new language and culture and many other different aspects of life to adjust to. Jonny Sexton only said last week that even the simplest things like going shopping can be tough in a new country.

Ya completely different to Hazard. I just felt he would adapt quicker as he has played in both Germany and Spain. Maybe Cazorla's ability to adapt so quick makes us judge him harsher.

A big thing for me though is his attitude. It's lazy, it's seems he doesn't wanna be here which he said himself about leaving Madrid and it just feels like he is not trying his best. And that's not good enough IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

City only drawing at Norwich. Not bad. Silver lining and all that

TheGunns wrote: »
    Completely different players, comparing them is nonsense

thread is moving so quick I never saw the other replies before I posted :o
    They're not completely different. Don't be silly. They are both attacking playmakers playing in the final third of the pitch. There are obviously subtle differences between the two ie Hazard is way better at running at defenders but to say they are completely different is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

They're not completely different. Don't be silly. They are both attacking playmakers playing in the final third of the pitch. There are obviously subtle differences between the two ie Hazard is way better at running at defenders but to say they are completely different is wrong.

They are completely different if Ozil was to play in Chelsea's team he would play in the position Oscar occupies.

Hazard would be more similar to Walcott he likes to run at players and cut in from out wide he's not a number 10.

Ya completely different to Hazard. I just felt he would adapt quicker as he has played in both Germany and Spain. Maybe Cazorla's ability to adapt so quick makes us judge him harsher.

A big thing for me though is his attitude. It's lazy, it's seems he doesn't wanna be here which he said himself about leaving Madrid and it just feels like he is not trying his best. And that's not good enough IMO.

Cazorla has varied in form too though. He was muck for a part this season. I think the general play needs to be faster. We're far too easy to defend against. Our build up play is so tediously slow at times it gives the opposition loads of time to get back in numbers. There is just no urgency. We cant have one poster boy for today's shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i hope people are right about ozil because he's starting to remind me of arshavin

Maybe the reason Real madrid let Ozil go.?

Don't get me wrong as i think Ozil is a world class player.
    Next season will prove the if's and buts about Ozil, but i'd have him in a Liverpool shirt in a heartbeat, assist machine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

IF we beat Man U, I thoroughly believe it'll be as important as Bayern away last year.

You'll easily beat United on Wednesday, I wouldn't be using that as a barometer for the rest of the season by any means. Much bigger games over the next month.

They are completely different if Ozil was to play in Chelsea's team he would play in the position Oscar occupies.

Hazard would be more similar to Walcott he likes to run at players and cut in from out wide he's not a number 10.
    Disagree. We haven't seen much of it with Arsenal but when he was at Madrid he often drifted out to the wing before cutting inside and playing a killer pass to a teammate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I don't get all the Ozil bashing, yes he was poor but is his performance really the biggest concern people have after we just conceded 5 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think the management were hugely at fault today for not having the team pull everyone behind the ball at two nil to let everyone get their heads right and at least go in at half time with a chance of a draw. We kept pushing up and getting caught out for pace at the back. Awful tactics played right into their hands. Players were ****e today but so was Wenger, as much as I love the guy. United on Wednesday is massive massive now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

Hansen and his mates will have a field day with this tonight on MOTD.

Iago wrote: »
    You'll easily beat United on Wednesday, I wouldn't be using that as a barometer for the rest of the season by any means. Much bigger games over the next month.

Not for us. Huge game. Massive mental test. Arsenal will take a lot out of a win. Much more than three points to be played for imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Not for us. Huge game. Massive mental test. Arsenal will take a lot out of a win. Much more than three points to be played for imo.

Fully agree with this.
    Win on Wednesday and confidence can come back ahead of revenge attempt on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

I think our biggest problem is the lack of pace in our team. When we get the chance to counter attack its done at a fairly pedestrian pace which gives the opposition a chance to get organised. The January window was a missed opportunity especially with the loss of Walcott and Ramsey. Wenger needed to invest to freshen the team up and to be fair he made a balls of it. Now we go into the united game on the back of a hammering and confidence very low and if we lose this one we can forget the title. On the ozil debate I think he needs a striker with pace who he can play balls in to and we just dont have one. Think ozil will be great if we get the right striker in the summer but god only knows what wenger will do. All and all a bad day at the office but now is the time for the players to show their character and bounce back with a win against utd. Keep the faith everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

yeah it probably is harsh but that's what he comes across to me like, pretty much what Spanish Johnny says about him below

and maybe he has trouble shopping or getting petrol but he's no bother getting a kebab :pac:

YayaBanana wrote: »
    I don't get all the Ozil bashing, yes he was poor but is his performance really the biggest concern people have after we just conceded 5 goals.

no one is blaming him solely for today.

but he hasn't just been underwhelming today, it isn't the exception it's the rule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The lack of fight in these tough away games really annoys me and is a big part of the problem.
    Rather than get stuck in and battle some of our players choose to hide.

I have seen us lose plenty of games over the years but we usually fought for the honour of the club and the jersey.
    That seems to be the exception rather than the rule when we play away to the big clubs now.

Could you imagine Keown, Storey, Graham, Adams, Bould or Bergkamp being prepared to hide rather than fight to get back into a game.
    Lack of backbone is a big part of the problem.
    Its no good being a nice clever and stylish footballer if you're not prepared to get stuck in. We need a few hard men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The liverpool fans in the matchday thread are so snipey it's unbelievable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

It's a long road that has no turning.

The one thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner.
    Not all like that in fairness.

ronjo wrote: »

I rarely post in the soccer forum tbh and reading some of the posts by the pool fans earlier is even more offputting haha

Whats all this .. Banter maybe?

Liverpool fans been happy with an outstanding result against a team fighting for the title, no.

• Advertisement

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Whats all this .. Banter maybe?

Liverpool fans been happy with an outstanding result against a team fighting for the title.

No problem at all with that.
    Did you read what I wrote?
    I haven't seen what he was talking about but my comment was an in general comment that I am sure most can agree with.

Just to add the only thing I wrote on the match thread was congratulations to Liverpool.

No problem at all with that.
    Did you read what I wrote?
    I haven't seen what he was talking about but my comment was an in general comment that I am sure most can agree with.

Just to add the only thing I wrote on the match thread was congratulations to Liverpool.

Just banter as all fans do the same when there team wins.

Hope Arsenal go and beat man u on wednesday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Disaster but we are still right up there. We need to wake the fcuk up in matches and play from the start. We've been awful slow lately and its caught up with us. Fair play to Liverpool but lets just move on. Beat United next and then we stuff liverpool in the cup :) and we are back on track but we need to put the effort in.

jamaamaj wrote: »
    Just banter as all fans do the same when there team wins.

Hope Arsenal go and beat man u on wednesday :)

"Arsenal always pure dirt away to the big sides. **** the pants again today. **** off"

It was this particular comment that stuck out for me among other comments, nothing like banter in my eyes, just a general air of snipeyness in that thread

But yep I really hope we can beat united, it'd be a huge win for us no matter where they are in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Saw the pictures of Wenger after falling somewhere today.

I nearly cried :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

A loss we move on all to play for still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

"Arsenal always pure dirt away to the big sides. **** the pants again today. **** off"

It was this particular comment that stuck out for me among other comments, nothing like banter in my eyes, just a general air of snipeyness in that thread

But yep I really hope we can beat united, it'd be a huge win for us no matter where they are in the league

That was a probably an Arsenal fan. Why are arsenal so upset about a few Liverpool fans. What you expect after that result.

niallo27 wrote: »
    That was a probably an Arsenal fan. Why are arsenal so upset about a few Liverpool fans. What you expect after that result.

Nobodies upset, I'm just saying it's painful to read a liverpool matchday thread when they're having a good day, the fans really do milk it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Just wanna clear up that was one of your own fans genius. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Just wanna clear up that was one of your own fans genius. :pac:

Thanks for clearing that up but we'd prefer if you came into the Arsenal forum to talk real football.

Otherwise, you're just like the trolling Arsenal fans that you complain about in your own thread. Your views on football are actually quite decent so I'd prefer to see that side of you here.

• Advertisement

So what changes for Wednesday?

Gibbs for Nacho and Rosicky for ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nobodies upset, I'm just saying it's painful to read a liverpool matchday thread when they're having a good day, the fans really do milk it

A liverpool matchday thread attracts every kind of poster though especially on a bad day.

So what changes for Wednesday?

Gibbs for Nacho and Rosicky for ??

Gibbs in
    Rosicky in

Nacho out
    Ozil out

Don't like the arteta/wilshere midfield either

But nothing we can do about that

Gibbs in
    Rosicky in

Nacho out
    Ozil out

Big call. Hard to argue but don't think it will happen.

Agreed on that. Can't see him putting Ox in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Yeah did not work at all today.
    Though i thought Wilshere played well when he had the ball. We really do miss that Arteta / Ramsey axis.

Big call. Hard to argue but don't think it will happen.

Agreed on that. Can't see him putting Ox in there.

We need to start this game high tempo and defensive we can't afford to concede an early goal

Just think ozil needs a kick up the hole id drop him straight

Did Yaya do something controversial today?

I think I noticed somewhere that he was lucky to stay on.

dvemail wrote: »
    Yeah did not work at all today.
    Though i thought Wilshere played well when he had the ball. We really do miss that Arteta / Ramsey axis.

Arteta/Ramsey is out best partnership

I'm starting to think arteta is finished, when Ramsey is not there to do his running he looks well off the pace

It's an area of the field we need to strengthen in the summer I feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Arteta/Ramsey is out best partnership

I'm starting to think arteta is finished, when Ramsey is not there to do his running he looks well off the pace

It's an area of the field we need to strengthen in the summer I feel

It's all the tackles Ramsey makes as well that helped make up for Artetas faults. Such a shame we don't have him kicking about for this stretch were on.
    Definitely a new DM is needed in the summer. Arteta should be used more on a part time basis alá Rosicky to get the most out of him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement