Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's easy to forget it's not even been a fortnight since Chelsea couldn't beat West Ham. West Brom are no push overs in their own ground as we well know.

Long long way to go yet.

Knex. wrote: »
    Only just watched the MOTD highlights a few mins ago. Found it pretty pathetic of BBC to close up the Liverpool - Arsenal segment by showing a picture of Wenger when he fell.

As you say, this is a 64 year old man. Complete lack of respect and not at all something they should be promoting.

I was quite disappointed with them.

And i can guarantee if it was Fergie that fell they would probably pull out a picture of the Queen falling before they would of Fergie.

What made me even more sick was Lineker interviewing Mourinho. His wife Danielle Bux must have been very jealous if she seen it.

This is the second incident with Lineker on MOTD. I used think he was decent but now it would seem he is just like all of the other meat head pundits on English tv

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's easy to forget it's not even been a fortnight since Chelsea couldn't beat West Ham. West Brom are no push overs in their own ground as we well know.

Long long way to go yet.

Every long way to go that was freak result, with Liverpool been sensational

Lots of twists and turns yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Wrote a complaint to the BBC last night over the Wenger incident, lets hope there was enough complaints to warrant an apology to Arsene

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I fancy a dull 1-1 draw

Tbh I would take a draw. It would prove as good as win to regain confidence and belief.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Just got back and went through a big part of the posts the last 10-11 hours. Nothing that I wouldn't expect and most of the comments on a right track.
    My 2 cents' worth of opinion:
    1.We conceived 4 goals in 20 minutes. 2 of them by Martin Skrtel. I mean. . . FFS. Has he ever scored 2 goals in the same game before?
    2.Midfield was really bad today, Ozil (as much as I like him) the worst. I reckon that in these games Rosicky should start. He has more passion than any other midfielder in the team.
    3.Bad day for the defense as well, they were all over the place. Flamini is another one we missed today.
    4.Norwich did us a favour, but we still need to get results in the big games away from Emirates. Not sure how we will do that but one can only hope.
    5.Absolutely critical to win Utd on Wednesday.

Not in the opposition goal anyway no :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Raf32 wrote: »
    Wrote a complaint to the BBC last night over the Wenger incident, lets hope there was enough complaints to warrant an apology to Arsene

Fair play. It was ridiculous.

Its one thing showing him struggling with his coat zipper, another completely showing the man in a heap on the ground.

What type of person do you have to be, that when you see an old guy fall, your first instinct is to pull out the camera instead of going over to help him up.

Disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Fair play. Completely unnecessary to show that only other than for a laugh. And it's not like a referee slipping on the field, as ye say it's a 64 year old man.

Just put myself through the first half there again and I feel better than I thought I would after it.

We were blown away in 20 minutes where absolutely nothing went right. Someone posted about Sagna gone missing and it's true he was pushed way up too early.

What I found really surprising was the way we lost the ball practically every time after kick off on conceding and put ourselves under terrible pressure straight away again! That's not normal - we seemed completely shell shocked and at sea.

The one thing I take out of this is there are no more excuses for slow starts. If we concede early again we need to shut up shop for a while. We played into their hands yesterday.

Re Man United I think it's like this - if we beat Man United I think this result becomes irrelevant confidence wise and also almost a positive in terms of a lesson we learn about starting well, naivety, etc. Beating United will give them a supreme lift.

Draw keeps us within 3 points of top but I am afraid we will be outsiders then in terms of belief, confidence, etc.

Lose......I think we all know what is likely then...

Would love to have Kevin Mirallas in our squad.

Would Jenkinson be a better option than Sagna right back against Liverpool next week because of his pace? Also it's a cup game so it's an excuse to rest Sagna?

Gibbs in for Monreal too? Surely be more protected.

Is Flamini back on Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I think we were in for him but he picked Everton cos he was guaranteed a starting place.

Was just going to say that, would have been the perfect winger come backup to giroud as a different option.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I think we were in for him but he picked Everton cos he was guaranteed a starting place.

Pity - would have a great option up front when needed and on the right in Theo's absence.

He went for 2m which is an unbelievable snip really. Apparently we had agreed a fee but Mirallas opted to join Everton due to the fear he'd only be a squad player at Arsenal. Such a shame. He would have really livened up our midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Would Jenkinson be a better option than Sagna right back against Liverpool next week because of his pace? Also it's a cup game so it's an excuse to rest Sagna?

Not jenkinson, or monreal ..... Keep sagna and get Gibbs in.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Not jenkinson, or monreal ..... Keep sagna and get Gibbs in.

Would Jenkinson not be much better equipped for Sterling though? Horses for courses type game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mickeroo wrote: »

Long long way to go yet.

I think it was the manner of the defeat. Toothless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Sagna was a disgrace yesterday.
    I watched the game again last night and he wasn't even in the picture for any of the goals.
    He was jogging back across the half-way line.
    No urgency at all and he can't cross his legs lately either.
    There were many poor displays but his stuck out as he was the only defender not in the picture when the goals were scored.

I think it was the manner of the defeat. Toothless.

These triangles were playing are all well and good but at times they remind me of that Simpsons episode 'Mexico v Portugal'. Very slow, frustrating to watch and cumbersome. The invincibles were moving off the ball all of the time. They were like the Red Arrows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I really think Coleman would be the perfect RB signing

AdamD wrote: »

We'l take their whole right hand side!

Sagna was a disgrace yesterday.
    I watched the game again last night and he wasn't even in the picture for any of the goals.
    He was jogging back across the half-way line.
    No urgency at all and he can't cross his legs lately either.
    There were many poor displays but his stuck out as he was the only defender not in the picture when the goals were scored.

He uncharacteristically had a poor game. I do wonder though was the exposure more of a result of not getting enough support from the wide players? Monreal very good at going forward but goes missing when teams hit us on the break. His big doppleganger Peter Crouch would nearly be better tracking back.

Arsene seems to have an allergy to signing us Irish....that said he wrote to Karl Lacey congratulating him on the 2012 All Ireland win so maybe he has a soft spot for the good old hills of Donegal ;) So long as he doesnt hear Daniel O'donnell sing now we might just be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Arsene seems to have an allergy to signing us Irish....that said he wrote to Karl Lacey congratulating him on the 2012 All Ireland win so maybe he has a soft spot for the good old hills of Donegal ;) So long as he doesnt hear Daniel O'donnell sing now we might just be ok

Who in the last 15 years world you have liked him to sign up?

Quazzie wrote: »

I'd have said Shay Given in his prime but not a whole lot after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Roy Keane
    Dennis Irwin
    Damien Duff
    Robbie Keane
    Seamus Coleman

All could have done a job at Arsenal ;), not that I really care whether or not there are any Irish players at Arsenal.

Edit: I would have taken Shay Given as well

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

Hopefully it's a sincere one showing a picture of a senile 64 year old pensioner isn't acceptable in society so why should it be any different just because he's a football manager..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Roy Keane
    Dennis Irwin
    Damien Duff
    Robbie Keane
    Seamus Coleman

All could have done a job at Arsenal ;), not that I really care whether or not there are any Irish players at Arsenal.

Edit: I would have taken Shay Given as well

Ah now, Robbie Keane and Duff?

Keane especially would never have improved us, and would've been far too expensive to have as a backup.

I sort of made that post in a joking spirit but in all honesty I would have thought perhaps one or two might have came through the youths. sure look if they are not good enough then fair enough. Shay Given had probably the most likelihood of all the players mentioned and maybe Richard Dunne back around 08/09 (although he is not your centre half that can play from the back). The likes of Keane and Irwin and all were unattainable so hardly an issue. It would be nice to see Irish players playing for us again but id accept the current situation is more a reflection of Ireland then Arsenal. I mean arguably Ireland's greatest ever footballer was head of our academy and there wasnt an awful lot there either so its Irelands fault that no players are making it at the big clubs and not Arsenals.

Did Conor Henderson even get a club yet or is he buggered?

How much do you think we'd be paying to get him? Just North of 15m id say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ah now, Robbie Keane and Duff?

Keane especially would never have improved us, and would've been far too expensive to have as a backup.

Well look at it this way Robbie Keane of 4 to 6 years ago would arguably get in ahead of Giroud, but I do agree he would have been too expensive at the time especially as back up.

Duff hands down was terrific at Blackburn and could have nearly walked into any team in the EPL then he was still brilliant at Chelsea just Mourinho changed his game a bit but he certainly would have been a welcome addition to Arsenal.

But the question was what Irish players could have played for Arsenal and both were good enough to be in the Arsenal first team squad ;).

But we have a very healthy bank balance.
    That's far more important.

I must stress its not the signing of Kallstrom himself im against but the fact that we signed him knowing he was injured when there is probably a good few players equally as good that could have came in and done a job right away.

The gas thing about Arsenal is they never seem to see the potential losses from such a calamity. How much revenue would a league win bring for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

How much revenue would a league win bring for example?

Here is some details around Premier League prize money.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2013/05/21/where-the-money-went-premier-league-prize-and-tv-payments-for-2012-13-210501/

symbolic wrote: »

Not so much the prize money im referring to but in terms of reinforcing Arsenal as a business around the world a league win would be a massive shot in the arm in terms of gaining support and selling merchandise.

Did Conor Henderson even get a club yet or is he buggered?

He's with Hull I think

Maire2009 wrote: »
    He's with Hull I think

Your right. Apparently Steve Bould made a case to Hull for him fair play to him.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/soccer/henderson-grateful-for-bould-hull-call-245361.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Not so much the prize money im referring to but in terms of reinforcing Arsenal as a business around the world a league win would be a massive shot in the arm in terms of gaining support and selling merchandise.

Oh I get ya yeah, some jersey sales figures here:

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2012/10/08/exclusive-manchester-united-and-real-madrid-top-global-shirt-sale-charts-081001/

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yurt

The first 20 minutes of the game in 720p HD,No need to thank me lads

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bk2c8_l4-vs-afc-first-20-minutes_creation

Yurt wrote: »

Liverpool are the biggest sing when your winning fans out there, not a peek out of them for years before this season :pac:

Anyone think Spurs could crack the top 4? only 3 points behind and have played City, United and Everton twice. Good squad depth too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Liverpool are the biggest sing when your winning fans out there, not a peek out of them for years before this season :pac:

Meh, it's not often they get to crow.

Yesterday and today people think they're the better team. Tomorrow or the day after we'll get back to judging it by the league table again.

It has been and will be a long time since they've been able to crow about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

gosplan wrote: »
    Meh, it's not often they get to crow.

Yesterday and today people think they're the better team. Tomorrow or the day after we'll get back to judging it by the league table again.

It has been and will be a long time since they've been able to crow about that.

Are ye still a bit sore after the bit of craic in here yesterday? Get it over it fellas, Arsenal lost 5-1 to Liverpool, that doesn't happen often so ye should be expecting to take a bit of stick..

Anyway, its over now, a new round of games during the week and Arsenal are still well in the hunt for the title! Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Spuds will have to get something at Anfield... will be tough for them i think. And they have a clown in charge. They may have won today but they were pretty pants. I also think they could slip up at Newcastle in their next league game.

Yurt wrote: »

Worth watchin lads. Go to 16;30 in for the replay of Sterling's first goal. Look at the position of Sagna and the gap.

Then look at Sturridge's goal and the replay in the 19th minute. You will see he does the same again but Sterling isn't played in.

Love Sagna and this doesn't make him a bad player. Just a discipline thing that maybe Wenger is more responsible for than anyone else!

Anyone think Spurs could crack the top 4? only 3 points behind and have played City, United and Everton twice. Good squad depth too.

I don't think so Raf on the basis of what I watched today. They are wide open and naively so at times. Everton should have been 2 up today at halftime. I am more confident going there than I was after seeing them under Sherwood. They really didn't deserve anything today never mind 3 points. They will get caught a few times.

Ramsey I think is the man that makes this team thick

His energy and tackles gets the lot going no even including his goal scoring

We new him back ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

aramush wrote: »
    Are ye still a bit sore after the bit of craic in here yesterday? Get it over it fellas, Arsenal lost 5-1 to Liverpool, that doesn't happen often so ye should be expecting to take a bit of stick..

Anyway, its over now, a new round of games during the week and Arsenal are still well in the hunt for the title! Good luck!

Not at all, just explaining your behaviour or the behaviour of those still coming in here posting about it.

Well done. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

United losing at home to Fulham. We just have to beat them on Wednesday, nothing else will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If we can't put this United side away on Wednesday we don't deserve anything. They are appalling.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    If we can't put this United side away on Wednesday we don't deserve anything. They are appalling.

They will be a different animal at our place though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement