Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

jesus seeing united getting beaten at home, at old trafford, after spending 70 million quid, with a team who were comfortably champions last year, getting beaten by fulham - contenders for worst team in the league - well, well it warms the cockles of my heart.

which is nice. I don't see them holding the lead though.

anyway, liverpool fans are entitled to be happy but i think coming into our thread to rub it in is a bit crass. however i still would like to see them in the CL, rodgers deserves it. he talks some ****e but hes doing the business for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They will be a different animal at our place though

We continue to show them too much respect.
    Lets get stuck into them and beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

keano_afc wrote: »
    If we can't put this United side away on Wednesday we don't deserve anything. They are appalling.

absolutely 100% nailed on true. if we don't beat these guys we should hang our heads.

All the shame which the players feel for the pool result needs to be focussed and unleashed against the worst united side in 25 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

bad2dabone wrote: »
    absolutely 100% nailed on true. if we don't beat these guys we should hang our heads.

All the shame which the players feel for the pool result needs to be focussed and unleashed against the worst united side in 25 years.

They still have better forward players.

Rooney and Van Persie are way better than any of our lot.

Mata on current form is better than Ozil too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So Van Persie sold his soul to the Red Devils in exchange for a title winners medal. But now he is damned for ever in mid-table mediocrity. Was it worth it Robin ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

United - A great bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    They still have better forward players.

Rooney and Van Persie are way better than any of our lot.

Mata on current form is better than Ozil too.

Mata current form

Really????

We continue to show them too much respect.
    Lets get stuck into them and beat them.

I fully agree

And if we did I reckon we would tear them a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

We have to be ruthless on Wednesday. All this talk of mental strength and team unity well now its time for the team to step up and be counted. If we are serious about winning the league then United have to be shown no respect and put to the sword!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ye should wrap up Mertersacker in cotton wool (or just keep him away from Sanogo!) till your next game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Ye should wrap up Mertersacker in cotton wool (or just keep him away from Sanogo!) till your next game.

LOL and some said that Sanogo wouldn't make his mark at Arsenal. However I didn't expect it to be as a prospective middleweight boxer ;)

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

He prob injured himself throwing the headbutt anyway

United put in 81 crosses today, that's pratically 1 a minute!! Hope Merts and Kos don't get concussion on Weds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

greendom wrote: »
    United put in 81 crosses today, that's pratically 1 a minute!! Hope Merts and Kos don't get concussion on Weds
    Yet have just spent a fortune on a player whose forte is playing though the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Mata current form

Really????

Well Mata certainly isnt playing worse than him.

Two teams with low confidence coming together. We have more behind us though. Have to squeeze through.

Arsenal really need to place emphasis on movement and speed in this game. If they continue to persist with the dawdling on the ball that they have been guilty of this season then United could batter us. We have to really turn the screw good and early. Run them ragged. We're effectively a less mobile version of this old video game at the moment

Well Mata certainly isnt playing worse than him.

Two teams with low confidence coming together. We have more behind us though. Have to squeeze through.

I'm not defending ozil at all there not sure if he is the next coming of bergkamp or the next coming of arshavin yet

I'm not defending ozil at all there not sure if he is the next coming of bergkamp or the next coming of arshavin yet

Far to early to tell yet. Ive a feeling he'll crank it up a notch before the season is out. I believe that all players need at least 1 season to settle in.

Far to early to tell yet. Ive a feeling he'll crank it up a notch before the season is out. I believe that all players need at least 1 season to settle in.

We will see for sure next season

Remember pires pure shît first season after that the rest is history :)

We will see for sure next season

Remember pires pure shît first season after that the rest is history :)

Absolutely. These guys are moving wives or girlfriends, maybe even kids over to a strange country and there is definitely a period of adjustment to the different way of life. New schools, different language, different food, etc

Dont forget Ozil hadnt the summer to settle in either. The winter break is a big factor to take into account too. English football is a hectic period over Christmas and early new year whereas Spain, Germany, etc, stop for two weeks or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

bad2dabone wrote: »
    jesus seeing united getting beaten at home, at old trafford, after spending 70 million quid, with a team who were comfortably champions last year, getting beaten by fulham - contenders for worst team in the league - well, well it warms the cockles of my heart.

which is nice. I don't see them holding the lead though.

anyway, liverpool fans are entitled to be happy but i think coming into our thread to rub it in is a bit crass. however i still would like to see them in the CL, rodgers deserves it. he talks some ****e but hes doing the business for them.

United lost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,416 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    United lost?

No drew 2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Even though they're in shocking form I've a feeling United will do us on Wednesday. We just can't beat them anymore.

I think we'll beat Liverpool in the cup though; there'll be a point to be proved there.

Ugh just generally do not have a good feeling about the next few games after Saturdays debacle notwithstanding we've been excellent this season that and the City game aside.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

i'm hoping yesterday will have a similar effect to the NLD last season for our league form. The team have shown time and time again they are well able to bounce back from poor results. What better way to bounce back than beating united on our own turf.

The last 2 seasons the team have pulled themselves together, went on a run and did what they needed to do. That's all they have to do this season too except they're aiming for first not fourth, and it's Chelsea and City not Spurs and Liverpool they have to pip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cson wrote: »
    Even though they're in shocking form I've a feeling United will do us on Wednesday. We just can't beat them anymore.

I think we'll beat Liverpool in the cup though; there'll be a point to be proved there.

Ugh just generally do not have a good feeling about the next few games after Saturdays debacle notwithstanding we've been excellent this season that and the City game aside.

Yeah I'd agree with that. We just can't seem to work out what to do against then and get picked off pretty easily.

I'm after taking the night off work

All I want is a performance with no fear or no respect given

Give me that I will be happy and the result will take care of itself

I'm after taking the night off work

All I want is a performance with no fear or no respect given

Give me that I will be happy and the result will take care of itself

Id take a 1-0 win now due to the lads ability to make life difficult for themselves but personally i think Wenger should rethink his approach and send them out all guns blazing. United's confidence is brittle. If we can get a quick goal and keep the pressure on they'll succumb. Unfortunately i fear our lads will approach the game as if Saturday never happened, lose the ball and get battered on the break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

We drew with Man Utd last season against a much better Utd side.
    I see us winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭king Henry 14

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree with that. We just can't seem to work out what to do against then and get picked off pretty easily.

This also seems to be the case to me. Therefore the question I have is why Wenger never seems to vary tactics. Regardless of who we play we go with the same formation which means that any coach worth his salt will eventually figure out a way of stopping us and beating us. I think wengers stubbornness is hurting us and if he's one of the greatest coaches in the game he should mix formations to confuse the opposition and give us the advantage. All just a bit to predictable for me at the moment.

• Advertisement

Id take a 1-0 win now due to the lads ability to make life difficult for themselves but personally i think Wenger should rethink his approach and send them out all guns blazing. United's confidence is brittle. If we can get a quick goal and keep the pressure on they'll succumb. Unfortunately i fear our lads will approach the game as if Saturday never happened, lose the ball and get battered on the break.

There gonna sit Rooney on arteta we know this already, we better have a plan around this

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    We drew with Man Utd last season against a much better Utd side.
    I see us winning.

We went about that game in the right way though and Walcott who is unavailable was on fire last year. If we start this narrow static tippy-tappy shít then it could be another hard 90 minutes. Id start Gnabry, Pod and Rosicky in midfield. More urgency and vibrancy in their play.

Stretch the play and run at the United defence rather then leaving them catch up and surround us in numbers. We're making life too difficult on ourselves. People say were trying to emulate the Barca way of playing but Xavi and Iniesta passed it around like they were arms on a pinball machine. We think we are the same but were almost the opposite. We're far too slow.

Watched the coverage of United game there. United have a superb attack and are low on confidence. RVP because of the history and Januzaj are the two I fear most. United had over 50 something crosses today. That is there only game plan. It's crazy.

Looked at the average position of their players today. Vidic is playing left centre back. Evra beside him. Evra is consistently positioned past the oppositions half way line with Vidic left isolated. Richardson skinned him for pace today. Wenger needs to get tactical. We have to hammer them that side and I think Gnabry is actually our best option there. Need to keep defences honest.

Realistically we need to win this game...

There gonna sit Rooney on arteta we know this already, we better have a plan around this

Definately need an extra man back there alongside Arteta. Who though? Kallstrom injured, Diaby injured, Flamini suspended, Ramsey injured so it leaves probably Mozart as the only one who can slot in there.

Id go
    Scsz

Sagna Mert Koc Gibbs
    Arteta Rosicky

Ox/Gnabry Cazorla Pod

Giroud

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Beating United on Wednesday could be the opportunity to end Uniteds domestic season and knock them out of the running for the CL for next year…
    The game is huge now, two teams desperate for a win. Arsenal have a rubbish record against them lately, but to be honest its all mental. They just need play like they did against Napoli earlier in the season. Play like that and they will win.
    I have a feeling it will be a usual uninspiring limp 0-0 but if we don't get a reaction from the players after a 5-1 drubbing then serious questionshas to be asked of the management and senior players.

jank wrote: »
    Beating United on Wednesday could be the opportunity to end Uniteds domestic season and knock them out of the running for the CL for next year…
    The game is huge now, two teams desperate for a win. Arsenal have a rubbish record against them lately, but to be honest its all mental. They just need play like they did against Napoli earlier in the season. Play like that and they will win.
    I have a feeling it will be a usual uninspiring limp 0-0 but if we don't get a reaction from the players after a 5-1 drubbing then serious questionshas to be asked of the management and senior players.

There is huge pressure on Wenger here. He made a ****e of the Kallstrom signing and was at the end of a drubbing (5-1 flattered us at full time it could have been 7 or 8-0 after 15 minutes)

If he continues down the arrogant route and send his men out with the same carefree approach then he deserves his ridicule.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jank wrote: »

Would love to see them play again like they did against Napoli. Don't think they've repeated it since, they'd have beaten anyone that night.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Would love to see them play again like they did against Napoli. Don't think they've repeated it since, they'd have beaten anyone that night.

Be nice if the Ozil who was playing that night could return

Definately need an extra man back there alongside Arteta. Who though? Kallstrom injured, Diaby injured, Flamini suspended, Ramsey injured so it leaves probably Mozart as the only one who can slot in there.

Id go
    Scsz

Sagna Mert Koc Gibbs
    Arteta Rosicky

Ox/Gnabry Cazorla Pod

Giroud

I'd go
    Scez
    Sagna. Mert. Kos. Gibbs
    Arteta. Wilshere
    Rosicky. Ozil. Cazorla
    Giroud

We need the three behind giroud to be on there game

Rocky to drop deep to collect the ball when arteta is been pressed hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

salmocab wrote: »
    No drew 2-2

Read the quote on my last post :p

I'd go
    Scez
    Sagna. Mert. Kos. Gibbs
    Arteta. Wilshere
    Rosicky. Ozil. Cazorla
    Giroud

We need the three behind giroud to be on there game

Rocky to drop deep to collect the ball when arteta is been pressed hard

No pace in behind again though.

I would like to see Rosicky as you say but we need either Ox/Gnabry or both in this team. We need pace and an ability to get in behind.

• Advertisement

No pace in behind again though.

I would like to see Rosicky as you say but we need either Ox/Gnabry or both in this team. We need pace and an ability to get in behind.

We need not to concede in the first half work into the game

Second half unleash the pace

I feel we concede an early goal here the wheels will come falling off

We need not to concede in the first half work into the game

Second half unleash the pace

Yes, first goal crucial. I think they are more brittle than us though and we are at home.

Furthermore there attack is their best asset. They have no platform. Surely we have to dominate them from midfield up. If we go conservative we invite them on to their best players and don't punish their weak areas??

Have to be defensively organised, etc but we need a big attacking impetus.

They've already fallen off.

Squad as always is too thin.

We are praying on a 33 year old Rosicky to come in and save ous.

It's back to the usual season of making sure we get 4th now.

Hope is a dangerous thing and once again we were filled with it.

Year after year we have that false hope.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    They've already fallen off.

Squad as always is too thin.

We are praying on a 33 year old Rosicky to come in and save ous.

It's back to the usual season of making sure we get 4th now.

Hope is a dangerous thing and once again we were filled with it.

Year after year we have that false hope.

Presuming this is tongue in cheek?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

the last time i've seen Arsenal play with any sort of freedom was against the spuds in the cup we could have won that by 5 or 6 , In the league we just look hamstrung by pressure , And i've seen this happen with us before the year of the gallas strop we looked amazing in the 1st half of the season and when we got top we just looked like the world was on our shoulders , We need to beat United ...and Liverpool saturday

I'm serious.

If we lose against United that's how it will pan out.

Anyone really think we are going to beat Bayern?

Wouldn't even reply to that post

I think we will get a reaction anyway this team has it in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I have to say I will be extremely frustrated if we lose on Wednesday. Mental block or whatever, Utd couldn't even beat the last team of the PL. Before that they lost at Stoke.
    If we can't win them now, we might as well call the whole thing off.

(I am thinking whether I should stay away from the thread until the game. I have a feeling it might be surreal in here the next couple of days)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

the last time i've seen Arsenal play with any sort of freedom was against the spuds in the cup we could have won that by 5 or 6 , In the league we just look hamstrung by pressure , And i've seen this happen with us before the year of the gallas strop we looked amazing in the 1st half of the season and when we got top we just looked like the world was on our shoulders , We need to beat United ...and Liverpool saturday

True but we had great pace in the team that day with Theo and Gnabry and don't forget Spurs played into our hands with a 4-4-2 with a slow defence and a young CM in Bentaleb.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement