Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

:rolleyes: That former assist machine Robbie Savage currently slating Ozil on the MOTD2.

To be fair Ozil didnt look too good but sure the world player of the year doesnt bust a gut marking up or tracking back......of course he never played for Arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

:rolleyes: That former assist machine Robbie Savage currently slating Ozil on the MOTD2.

To be fair Ozil didnt look too good but sure the world player of the year doesnt bust a gut marking up or tracking back......of course he never played for Arsenal
    One bad game and the media and what seems like the entire football world slating him, MUPPETS!!

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    They've already fallen off.

Squad as always is too thin.

We are praying on a 33 year old Rosicky to come in and save ous.

It's back to the usual season of making sure we get 4th now.

Hope is a dangerous thing and once again we were filled with it.

Year after year we have that false hope.

Cheer up we're one point off the top ffs. Id agree the squad is far too thin alright but still we have a chance. Chelsea have no form striker and City have proven not to be invincible either. Wednesday night will tell if we got the kick up the arse we need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

To be fair, ozil has been poor for a while now, Savage wasn't too far out with his comments

Gringo180 wrote: »
    One bad game and the media and what seems like the entire football world slating him, MUPPETS!!

A mass orgasm all over the UK at 13.05 yesterday id bet and an even bigger one when they got their cheap photograph of Wenger later on. There was a time the BBC had some sort of broadcasting standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Really Gringo?

I don't like Robbie Savage don't get me wrong but he has had many bad games. He wasn't the reason we lost yesterday but was responsible for the 3rd and 4th goals so it's normal he is getting scrutiny.

Posters on here have left him out of the team for United.

He has had some terrible games and has had something like 2 assists inhis last 11/12 games and cost 42 million pounds. It's not an unreasonable point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Sure look what they did with Wilshere. One great game in a friendly for England against Brazil and they bigged him up no end as the future of English football.
    Then he gets injured and struggles to find form and all of a sudden he's overrated and everything whats wrong with English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Cheer up we're one point off the top ffs. Id agree the squad is far too thin alright but still we have a chance. Chelsea have no striker and City have proven not to be invincible either

The game against utd is huge, mentally the team need to respond, anything less than the three points will be a massive blow

Give the chap time for jaysus sake, hes only 5 months into his first season in the league he needs time to find his feet and adjust. 32 apps, 13 assists and 5 goals, I cant wait to see him when he starts coming good.

Form is temporary, class is permanent!!

• Advertisement

A mass orgasm all over the UK at 13.05 yesterday id bet and an even bigger one when they got their cheap photograph of Wenger later on. There was a time the BBC had some sort of broadcasting standards.

Why are we the club everybody loves to hate. Yet they fawn over a classless club like Chelsea, madness.

Give the chap time for jaysus sake, hes only 5 months into his first season in the league he needs time to find his feet and adjust. 32 apps, 13 assists and 5 goals, I cant wait to see him when he starts coming good.

Form is temporary, class is permanent!!

He has been poor and hasn't had any impact in the big games thus far. We can bury our heads in the sand all we like but that's the reality.

My point is that Savage's comments are not unfounded. I don't doubt his class or ability but I doubt his effort, application and effect so far.

42 million pounds brings that kind of pressure whether we like it or not.

Why are we the club everybody loves to hate. Yet they fawn over a classless club like Chelsea, madness.

Cos we are boring and well run. Muppets fawning to Mourinho like classless idiots and being duped to create headlines.

The man that has spent over €120 million since he arrived and you'd swear he has the funds of Peterborough United the way he has convinced the media and their fans about their position.

Saw on the Chelsea thread a fella post a table with them top and asking am I dreaming?? As if they were Cardiff and were top at this stage and it was so unbelievable! Sad and delusional stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

FFS I cannot believe people are writing Ozil off, as others have already said eloquently this is his first season with us and his first season in the Premiership of course he is going to take time to bed in. I expect him to shine next season. Again as said before Pires needed a season to bed in as well.

As for the game on Wednesday if the team can get over this mental block we seem to have about playing United I can see a very big reaction against them. If we click I believe we can really hurt them.

We're going to find out if they really have the character that Wenger talks about after all those games we scraped through this season already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Tbh i feel for united and their situation. they try to run the club in a decent way like ourselves and always held great respect for them after our years of rivalry. Teams like City and Chelsea are ruining the great sport that rivalry's like the one between ourselves and united helped us all fall in love with the sport. probably in the minority here but would love to see them get the top 4 however unlikely it seems.

Fair enough but I still think hes been fantastic in some games, id also love to know how many times he has played in his natural position in the centre instead of out wide. As I said already if we had a pacey centre forward making decent runs in behind he would flourish alot more than he already is.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    Tbh i feel for united and their situation. they try to run the club in a decent way like ourselves and always held great respect for them after our years of rivalry. Teams like City and Chelsea are ruining the great sport that rivalry's like the one between ourselves and united helped us all fall in love with the sport. probably in the minority here but would love to see them get the top 4 however unlikely it seems.

Ha I completely agree with you 100% but was too afraid to say it on here!

Resent them for their success etc but bottom line is respect. Don't have that for the oil clubs. Never can never will even if I admire Pellegrini.

gandalf wrote: »
    FFS I cannot believe people are writing Ozil off, as others have already said eloquently this is his first season with us and his first season in the Premiership of course he is going to take time to bed in. I expect him to shine next season. Again as said before Pires needed a season to bed in as well.

As for the game on Wednesday if the team can get over this mental block we seem to have about playing United I can see a very big reaction against them. If we click I believe we can really hurt them.

We're going to find out if they really have the character that Wenger talks about after all those games we scraped through this season already!

Ok but Pires cost 6 million from Marseille. Ozil cost 42 million from Real Madrid. There is a difference in expectations.

Not so long ago there were people in this thread mocking Bale for not settling in in his fist 5 games for Real Madrid due to his transfer fee before he suddenly turned on the style. We can't be hypocrites.

My issue is that apart from a spurt against Southampton we have rarely seen Ozil show us anything very exciting and as I say has delivered 2 assists in over 10 games and the big issue most are hiding behind is - he is not applying himself, not trying 100% and is aloof.

dvemail wrote: »
    Sure look what they did with Wilshere. One great game in a friendly for England against Brazil and they bigged him up no end as the future of English football.
    Then he gets injured and struggles to find form and all of a sudden he's overrated and everything whats wrong with English football.

I wouldn't say Wilshere is overrated but judging by his performances and his body language and his continuous mouthing at the ref i would think Jack is guilty of believing his own hype like the many English players before him have fallen into this trap.

Add the fact he was very lucky to stay on the field yesterday and the fact he is guilty of strolling around the field this season when one of his main competitors for a starting place Ramsey is making runs into the box then i would say any criticism Jack is getting is justified.

He mightn't be capable of what he is hyped up to be but he is better then what we are getting as well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    I'm serious.

If we lose against United that's how it will pan out.

Anyone really think we are going to beat Bayern?

I hope the team realise there's no real consequences at stake in the Bayern game as most people have written it off as a formality for the german team. That way they can play with absolutely no pressure and it will be all the more enjoyable when we put them out.

Ok but Pires cost 6 million from Marseille. Ozil cost 42 million from Real Madrid. There is a difference in expectations.

Not so long ago there were people in this thread mocking Bale for not settling in in his fist 5 games for Real Madrid due to his transfer fee before he suddenly turned on the style. We can't be hypocrites.

My issue is that apart from a spurt against Southampton we have rarely seen Ozil show us anything very exciting and as I say has delivered 2 assists in over 1o games and the bid issue most are hiding behind is - he is not applying himself, not trying 100% and is aloof.

Having seen tonight's highlights id accept that tbf but the transfer price might be unfair considering World cup and European Championship winner Robert Pires was bought in an pre-inflated market whereas Ozil seems to have gone for somewhat of a going rate today when you consider his 18 year old compatriot Draxler was valued at 37m.

I just dont like Robbie Savage who kicked more players then balls in his day making disparging comments about one of the worlds best midfielders....matter of fact i just dont like Robbie Savage fullstop

• Advertisement

Having seen tonight's highlights id accept that tbf but the transfer price might be unfair considering World cup and European Championship winner Robert Pires was bought in an pre-inflated market whereas Ozil seems to have gone for somewhat of a going rate today when you consider his 18 year old compatriot Draxler was valued at 37m.

I just dont like Robbie Savage who kicked more players then balls in his day making disparging comments about one of the worlds best midfielders....matter of fact i just dont like Robbie Savage fullstop

Agree with a lot of that!

Also I found myself thinking about the Draxler thing yesterday at 4 goals down. That young lad could have done absolutely nothing for us yesterday! In fact he would have been another lad outside the box looking for possession and not the run in behind.

We need pace in the summer. Pace, pace pace. Cos we have enough ball players.

I went to school with a lot of United supporters who thought because they jumped on the United bandwagon that they nullified everyone else's opinion on soccer.

There even seems to be this consensus amongst them that United were protagonists in a world of bad guy football teams when in fact the club benefited from plenty of unfair decisions on the field in their day. I do admire the club and feel sorry for a good man David Moyes and the club as a whole (even Fergie) but i hope them cnuts im describing are enjoying this season :D

Pires joined us in the year 2000, I reckon that 6 million would translate to a lot more today. Also you may expect more but they are just men and they will take varying amounts of time to adjust to a game. This isn't FIFA'14 you know ;)

So a small minority were slagging Bale, which I wasn't part of and you label us all hypocrites!
    My issue is that apart from a spurt against Southampton we have rarely seen Ozil show us anything very exciting and as I say has delivered 2 assists in over 1o games and the bid issue most are hiding behind is - he is not applying himself, not trying 100% and is aloof.

You seem to think that Ozil is going to repeat what he did in Real Madrid exactly. Unfortunately if you look at our team while they are good they are lacking in comparison to those who were in the RM team with Ozil.

I didn't see yesterdays match and tbh I didn't even bother to watch the highlights but I have seen a fair few of the games we have played recently and Ozil did have periods where he played well. I think he is still getting used to the different pace of game in the Premiership and I believe the number of games over the Christmas period has taken its toll on his sharpness.

Again I believe it is totally unfair to make a rash decision on him this season. If he was a transfer who had already played in the Premiership then I might have agreed with you.

We need pace in the summer. Pace, pace pace. Cos we have enough ball players.

This is the key. Look back to Wengers successful teams, we had pace n abundance and could turn defence into attack in an instant and really hurt teams. Weve too many ball players in our team if that makes sense, they just want to pass pass pass instead of make those runs that will hurt the oppostion.

Ozil made a great assist for Walcott against City and left on the goal away to Dortmund the night lest we not forget. I think the lad has the calmness and the attitude to ride this storm. I for one think he is top notch even after yesterdays forgetful performance.

This is the key. Look back to Wengers successful teams, we had pace n abundance and could turn defence into attack in an instance and really hurt teams. Weve too many ball players in our team if that makes sense, they just want to pass pass pass instead of make those runs that will hurt the oppostion.

Ya, you're spot on. Just thinking - Anelka, Overmars, Henry, Wiltord, Pires, Ljunberg, Reyes. Aw to have just one available now!

Ozil made a great assist for Walcott against City and left on the goal away to Dortmund the night lest we not forget. I think the lad has the calmness and the attitude to ride this storm. I for one think he is top notch even after yesterdays forgetful performance.

The one where he passed the ball across the 18 yard box and Theo shanked it in?? Seriously?? Are we really calling that a genuine great assist??? A pass our players make about 40 times a game??

Not surprised at all about Fabianski but did hope that Sagna would sign a deal. He has been excellent this season and I hope they come back and make an improved offer for him.

I hope Sagna at least does a Vidic on it and goes abroad. I can understand Fabianski leaving. I think he will do well at another club like Mannone and Almunia to a lesser degree.

Please god we'll go for Coleman.

• Advertisement

Pires joined us in the year 2000, I reckon that 6 million would translate to a lot more today. Also you may expect more but they are just men and they will take varying amounts of time to adjust to a game. This isn't FIFA'14 you know ;)

So a small minority were slagging Bale, which I wasn't part of and you label us all hypocrites!

You seem to think that Ozil is going to repeat what he did in Real Madrid exactly. Unfortunately if you look at our team while they are good they are lacking in comparison to those who were in the RM team with Ozil.

I didn't see yesterdays match and tbh I didn't even bother to watch the highlights but I have seen a fair few of the games we have played recently and Ozil did have periods where he played well. I think he is still getting used to the different pace of game in the Premiership and I believe the number of games over the Christmas period has taken its toll on his sharpness.

Again I believe it is totally unfair to make a rash decision on him this season. If he was a transfer who had already played in the Premiership then I might have agreed with you.

First off I didn't label us all hypocrites.

I think he is brilliant and will come good. My bottom line is I expected more and I think we all did. He has been poor-his attitude has been poor and I am disappointed with his overall impact and I think his last 12 or so games back it up. We need to be honest about this. We can't be afraid to criticize.

First off I didn't label us all hypocrites.

Fair enough, apologies I read it that way. The dangers of the written word ;)
    I think he is brilliant and will come good. My bottom line is I expected more and I think we all did. He has been poor-his attitude has been poor and I am disappointed with his overall impact and I think his last 12 or so games back it up. We need to be honest about this. We can't be afraid to criticize.

I think he is tired now. The Spanish game wouldn't be as frantic as that in the Premiership so he is having to adjust to it.

That's why I hoped that we were going to sign Draxler during the window that just closed. We could have eased him into the Premiership for the rest of this season and hopefully he would be up to speed come the start of next season.

Fair enough, apologies I read it that way. The dangers of the written word ;)

I think he is tired now. The Spanish game wouldn't be as frantic as that in the Premiership so he is having to adjust to it.

That's why I hoped that we were going to sign Draxler during the window that just closed. We could have eased him into the Premiership for the rest of this season and hopefully he would be up to speed come the start of next season.

No bother! Ya I think he is struggling with the physicality and I genuinely believe he will adjust well next year and settle in.

I just want him to want it more if that doesn't sound ridiculous?

The one where he passed the ball across the 18 yard box and Theo shanked it in?? Seriously?? Are we really calling that a genuine great assist??? A pass our players make about 40 times a game??

TBH on first view i thought Walcott was coming in on Ozil's blindside and it was great awareness but having looked at it again i only noticed Walcott calling for it. Still think though that ball across wasnt bad.

Was there rumours a few weeks back that City were sniffing around Sagna?? Be sick if he goes there.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I hope Sagna at least does a Vidic on it and goes abroad. I can understand Fabianski leaving. I think he will do well at another club like Mannone and Almunia to a lesser degree.

Please god we'll go for Coleman.

Really don't think we'll go for Coleman, I'd love it but Everton will want 20+ for him and I just cant see us shelling out that on a right back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We're looking at a fairly big upheaval in the summer hope it don't affect goes settling next season

Out maybe

Vivano
    Fabianski
    Sagna
    Verm
    Ryo
    Podolski
    Bendy boots
    Park

A big turn over from the first team squad

Hmmm as an aside I hope the BFG has ordered a neck brace and icepacks for after the match because I think he is going to be using his head a lot on Wednesday!!!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Really don't think we'll go for Coleman, I'd love it but Everton will want 20+ for him and I just cant see us shelling out that on a right back.

Probably the going rate though. Apparently Wenger has had him watched alot. Slightly north of 20m wouldnt be bad tbh but i suppose to validate your point this is Arsenal were talking about so id imagine it will be no more then £20m + £1

• Advertisement

sebastian jung being touted for rb, looks very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    United lost?

It was one nil when I posted, hence I said being beaten.

So were gonna need

2 keepers
    RB
    2 CBS
    1CM
    1 striker

Busy busy Summer

We're looking at a fairly big upheaval in the summer hope it don't affect goes settling next season

Out maybe

Vivano
    Fabianski
    Sagna
    Verm
    Ryo
    Podolski
    Bendy boots
    Park

A big turn over from the first team squad

Not that big tbh I'd class Sagna and Verm to be the only critical ones. We'll have to spend to replace them.

I don't believe Podi will go.

Vivano was always short term cover (I thought he was going back to Italy in Jan?)

Fabianski is not a surprise he is too good to be playing 2nd string.

We've been trying to get rid of Ryo, Nic and Park for at least a season now at this stage.

So were gonna need

2 keepers
    RB
    2 CBS
    1CM
    1 striker

Busy busy Summer

I can see the meltdown already, not a chance in hell of us signing that many players.

Was there rumours a few weeks back that City were sniffing around Sagna?? Be sick if he goes there.

Jesus the thoughts of that.:mad:

• Advertisement

Not that big tbh I'd class Sagna and Verm to be the only critical ones. We'll have to spend to replace them.

I don't believe Podi will go.

Vivano was always short term cover (I thought he was going back to Italy in Jan?)

Fabianski is not a surprise he is too good to be playing 2nd string.

We've been trying to get rid of Ryo, Nic and Park for at least a season now at this stage.

I think wenger will well podi

And yeah no big impact on the team just a big turnover in personell is all

Here's my ridiculous summer wish list:

Seamus Coleman
    Winston Reid

Lars Bender

Kevin Mirallis/Pedro

Cavani/Pacy Striker

I believe we can keep Sagna as well. We just have to make him a decent offer, unless of course we already have a replacement lined up!

sebastian jung being touted for rb, looks very good.

We're gone German mad if we buy him. At this stage we'll have to don a liederhosen themed away kit soon :D

Tbh i just think get in Coleman who has Premier League experience. Its not as if we cant afford him. We've done business with Everton before. I suppose Jung might be cheaper and would settle in with the German contingent but i just think Coleman is so well suited to us it would be a shame not to splash out on him.

Here's my ridiculous summer wish list:

Seamus Coleman
    Winston Reid

Lars Bender

Kevin Mirallis/Pedro

Cavani/Pacy Striker

At first i seen Winston and nearly had a heart attack i thought it was Bogarde you were hoping for :D ha ha ha

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement