Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Here's my ridiculous summer wish list:

Seamus Coleman
    Winston Reid

Lars Bender

Kevin Mirallis/Pedro

Cavani/Pacy Striker

Perfect and a decent #2 maybe Cesar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

At first i seen Winston and nearly had a heart attack i thought it was Bogarde you were hoping for :D ha ha ha

And maybe Michael Reizeger aswell!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm undecided a lout sagna. Still think he has a bit to offer

Bit if we can sign a brillant young right back I'm up for going for it and leaving h off

We're gone German mad if we buy him. At this stage we'll have to don a liederhosen themed away kit soon :D

Tbh i just think get in Coleman who has Premier League experience. Its not as if we cant afford him. We've done business with Everton before. I suppose Jung might be cheaper and would settle in with the German contingent but i just think Coleman is so well suited to us it would be a shame not to splash out on him.

Coleman is perfect for this team and what we are trying to do but we know Arsene, Jung can be got for around 6 million :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gandalf wrote: »
    I believe we can keep Sagna as well. We just have to make him a decent offer, unless of course we already have a replacement lined up!

Its probably the one year contract we seem to offer players over 30. Never understood that, hes been a great servant, offer him a 2 or 3 year deal ffs.

And maybe Michael Reizeger aswell!:D

Why not. Artur Numan also. Sure we've had Overmars, Bergkamp and Van Bronckhorst as well as Robin van littleBoyfullabullshít later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Raf32 wrote: »

Definitely a decent backup alright. On loan to Toronto at the moment too, jesus how the mighty have fallen!

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Its probably the one year contract we seem to offer players over 30. Never understood that, hes been a great servant, offer him a 2 or 3 year deal ffs.

According to the article it was a two year deal he was offered. Given defenders are at their best in their early 30's and Sagna can cover CB quite well also I would have definitely offered him a three year deal.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Coleman's versatility would be a great asset too, he'd be able to adequately cover right midfield as well as being first choice RB.

Good call. Watch us get get none of those!

• Advertisement

Coleman is perfect for this team and what we are trying to do but we know Arsene, Jung can be got for around 6 million :D

Wenger can speak fluent German but his Donegal not too good...

"Aylllll keep yar ayyyydea on Foillle.......in a Foiling Cobinnet!!!!!" :D

Good call. Watch us get get none of those!

Unless they have a fractured spine.....:pac:

Realistically will happen:

Sign some unknown GK on a loan
    Gareth Barry on a free
    Some unknown young french striker

Gotta love Arsene he is a stubborn one :D

I would love to have an Irish player back in the first team. The reason I started to support Arsenal back in 1981 was because we had Jennings, O'Leary, Nelson and Stapleton in the first team.

Gareth Barry on a free
    Some unknown injury prone young french striker

Fixed that for ya!:D

Gareth Barry on a free
    Some unknown young french striker

Make Kim Kallstroms deal permanent after he fractures his tibula (disclaimer NOT wishful thinking)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ok but Pires cost 6 million from Marseille. Ozil cost 42 million from Real Madrid. There is a difference in expectations.

Not so long ago there were people in this thread mocking Bale for not settling in in his fist 5 games for Real Madrid due to his transfer fee before he suddenly turned on the style. We can't be hypocrites.

Pires arrived at a very different time in terms of money in football but even then Pires arrived under a lot of fanfair after we had beaten Real Madrid in a hard fought battle for his signature. There were lots of expectations on Pires fans sometimes have very selective memories.

If Pires was to be signed today amid a battle with Real Madrid you can bet your ass it be more than 6 million.

Also I think most people who mocked Bale were doing so tongue in cheek as in poking fun at Spurs etc which is completely different to our own fans dismissing Ozil much like a lot did Ramsey and Sczez.

Pires arrived at a very different time in terms of money in football but even then Pires arrived under a lot of fanfair after we had beaten Real Madrid in a hard fought battle for his signature. There were lots of expectations on Pires fans sometimes have very selective memories.

If Pires was to be signed today amid a battle with Real Madrid you can bet your ass it be more than 6 million.

Also I think most people who mocked Bale were doing so tongue in cheek as in poking fun at Spurs etc which is completely different to our own fans dismissing Ozil much like a lot did Ramsey and Sczez.

I agree it's definitely different times but equally Ozil did come with an elite reputation. Just go back to the reaction on here for example.

Secondly to point out - I may be one of the rare ones but was never critical of Ramsey or Sczez.

Also dismissing is harsh. It's merely a critical observation. I am confident he will come good but I feel perfectly justified in saying he has not reached the heights I thought he would so far, I believe the statistics bear it out and I believe many supporters on here feel the same.

Again I think below from GunnerBlog as posted before sums it up sometimes:

We’re allowed to criticise Mesut Ozil…

Sometimes it feels as if we’re so eager for our record signing to do well that anything approaching criticism of his performance is deemed a kind of blasphemy. Equally, the tiniest contribution is hailed as a game-changer. I half expect someone to suggest that Santi Cazorla was afforded the room to score his second goal against Fulham due to a particularly well-timed Ozil fart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I agree it's definitely different times but equally Ozil did come with an elite reputation. Just go back to the reaction on here for example.

Secondly to point out - I may be one of the rare ones but was never critical of Ramsey or Sczez.

Also dismissing is harsh. It's merely a critical observation. I am confident he will come good but I feel perfectly justified in saying he has not reached the heights I thought he would so far, I believe the statistics bear it out and I believe many supporters on here feel the same.

Again I think below from GunnerBlog as posted before sums it up sometimes:

We’re allowed to criticise Mesut Ozil…

Sometimes it feels as if we’re so eager for our record signing to do well that anything approaching criticism of his performance is deemed a kind of blasphemy. Equally, the tiniest contribution is hailed as a game-changer. I half expect someone to suggest that Santi Cazorla was afforded the room to score his second goal against Fulham due to a particularly well-timed Ozil fart.

He sure did and much like Pires who arrived under a lot of hype it may take us a season to see the best off him which you discounted because he only arrived for 6 million ;).

A lot were and I think it does bear a striking resemblance to the criticism both Ramsey Sczez recieved from times by our own fans.

I disagree I think the write up Arseblog done on Ozil was much more on the money sadly I'm to lazy to go find the link as I'm up for work in just over 4 hours :pac:.

Also the opposite could be said for the Ozil move as much as some like to say fans are way to forgiving given the money and hype surrounding his move one could easily twist it and say some fans are to eager for him to fail dying to jump all over him given the hype and money involved :).

• Advertisement

He sure did and much like Pires who arrived under a lot of hype it may take us a season to see the best off him which you discounted because he only arrived for 6 million ;).

A lot were and I think it does bear a striking resemblance to the criticism both Ramsey Sczez recieved from times by our own fans.

I disagree I think the write up Arseblog done on Ozil was much more on the money sadly I'm to lazy to go find the link as I'm up for work in just over 4 hours :pac:.

Also the opposite could be said for the Ozil move as much as some like to say fans are way to forgiving given the money and hype surrounding his move one could easily twist it and say some fans are to eager for him to fail dying to jump all over him given the hype and money involved :).

Why would any Arsenal fan be eager for this???:confused::confused:

How did I discount it?

Ok put it like this - has Ozil lived up to your expectations this season so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Forget the price tag. Ozil was a well liked member of the Real Madrid first team, he's probably the first player to sign for Wenger who has actually taken a step down when joining Arsenal. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect him to hit the ground running, maybe not player of the year type stuff but he needs to be contributing. He's been poor for a few months now, no point in denying that. There's some kind of reverse price tag snobbery going on here, if he'd arrived for €10m from Schalke I doubt anyone would have a problem calling him out on some poor performances.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Joel Campbell is trying to make his Olympiakos move permanent apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

So we bounced back well after the other 3 league defeats so lets hope Wednesday will be the same.

Would love to gave Flamini tearing into tackles in the first minute but we will have him for the cup.
    Rosicky absolutely 100% must come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well having taking 2 days off this forum I can say Saturday wasn't very good.

Let's hope for a big game against united.

Drop ozil for Rosiky

• Advertisement

I think some posters are getting upset about ozil

It's ok to say he is playing bad but also think he will come good

It's ok to want him dropped for a few games, all players should be picked on current form not on price tag

I have actually changed my mind and want him playing on Wednesday

I'm sure he knows he was terrible on Saturday and he will want to right that so hopefully we get the ozil that played against Napoli pure majestic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well having taking 2 days off this forum I can say Saturday wasn't very good.

Let's hope for a big game against united.

Drop ozil for Rosiky

Try meeting up with two liverpudlians down the pub...but being a half an hour late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I think some posters are getting upset about ozil

It's ok to say he is playing bad but also think he will come good

It's ok to want him dropped for a few games, all players should be picked on current form not on price tag

I have actually changed my mind and want him playing on Wednesday

I'm sure he knows he was terrible on Saturday and he will want to right that so hopefully we get the ozil that played against Napoli pure majestic
    The risk in carrying him though when Rosicky will run his socks off is massive, especially when it'll take until around 60mins for Wenger to even think about hauling him off. Tough decision but I'd start Rosicky, I can easily see why you would want Ozil though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Forget the price tag. Ozil was a well liked member of the Real Madrid first team, he's probably the first player to sign for Wenger who has actually taken a step down when joining lArsenal. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to expect him to hit the ground running, maybe not player of the year type stuff but he needs to be contributing. He's been poor for a few months now, no point in denying that. There's some kind of reverse price tag snobbery going on here, if he'd arrived for €10m from Schalke I doubt anyone would have a problem calling him out on some poor performances.

I expected more from him.

I love the way he controls a ball and he exudes class, but I think he should be able to do more with all that ability at his disposal. We've seen it in flashes, that wonderful volley against Napoli the run and shot at Southampton etc, but all too infrequently for my liking.

I've not been harsh on him as we have been top of the table and the team has been performing well in the main. I still think that this is partly due to the Ozil effect. The general lift his purchase gave the club and players and the freedom his presence gives to his team mates as he receieves more attention from opposition players. I'm expecting more now though and now we need his contribution more than ever.

So who is absolutely 100% certain to start (unless they have picked up a niggle)

Szcz

Sagna Mert Kos

Arteta Cazorla

Giroud.

Leaves 4 places up for grabs.

Nacho/Gibbs
    3 from Ozil/Rosicky/Wilshere/Gnabry/Ox

I would prefer Gibbs plus the first 3 probably but leaves us very short of pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Don't worry lads, Ozil has a great opportunity to shine on Wednesday and score a couple. Along with anyone else in the Arsenal squad who feels like scoring. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'd like to see Gibbs come back into the starting line up for Wednesday.

Thought Ox and Wilshere were the least bad on Saturday so I'd go with them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Özil - I think Saturday has been his only genuinely poor game. He started at Arsenal brilliantly, had a great first few matches and has been solid, but unspectacular since then really - with exception of the Southampton match, I think he was excellent then.

Has been missing Wally and Ramsey I think, they make an awful lot of runs trying to get in behind that noone else seems to do. Noticed it on Sat, everyone was getting away from their markers and showing for the ball, but noone trying to get in behind and it just resulted in a lot of square balls and build up going nowhere - whereas Suarez/Sturridge/Sterling were constantly trying (and succeeding) to get in behind.

I'd like to see Gibbs come back into the starting line up for Wednesday.

Thought Ox and Wilshere were the least bad on Saturday so I'd go with them too.

With Ozil or Rosciky??

Of course there is always the chance he will leave Santi on the bench if he plays Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Joel Campbell is trying to make his Olympiakos move permanent apparently.

Good. He's sh1te

TheGunns wrote: »
    The risk in carrying him though when Rosicky will run his socks off is massive, especially when it'll take until around 60mins for Wenger to even think about hauling him off. Tough decision but I'd start Rosicky, I can easily see why you would want Ozil though

Rosicky def starts for me too but instead of the ox

Ox and gnabry and podi to come off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Morning lads, hope you's all OK after that horror show on Sat... We need a feckin huge response from them on Wednesday and need to make a statement the Anfield Horror show was a one-off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Does anyone else think Liverpool have the whole Spurs from last season going on? dependent on one player, making a few more look decent. If they dont get top 4 they are in massive trouble imo he will be gone and the rest of the team is average bar Sturridge.

When i click into the thread on phone, it brings me back to the last post I viewed which was from a few days ago.

LOL ROFL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

ronjo wrote: »
    With Ozil or Rosciky??

I don't really mind either way. Ozil had a bad game the other day but I'd be confident he'll be looking to show much more, whereas I'm a fan of the energy Rosicky brings so could be good to start him and then introduce Ozil later to find gaps.

• Advertisement

Rosicky def starts for me too but instead of the ox

Ox and gnabry and podi to come off the bench

Its probably what I would go with too.
    Am afraid of the lack of pace though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Give the chap time for jaysus sake, hes only 5 months into his first season in the league he needs time to find his feet and adjust. 32 apps, 13 assists and 5 goals, I cant wait to see him when he starts coming good.

Form is temporary, class is permanent!!

I agree with you and I like Ozil.
    Think he will be great when he adapts to the EPL.

However when he loses the ball he could really bother his hole and show he cares by tracking back and trying to get the ball back. That is something you do without settling in.

Seen this tweet made think

On Ozil: Mourinho loves him, and he doesn't accept low work-rate. He must have it in him somewhere. #afc

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Well with the news that Fabianski is leaving URL="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9159412/transfer-news-keeper-lukasz-fabianski-reveals-new-arsenal-contract-rejected"]source[/URL and the gossip that Sagna has turned down our latest offer (he certainly played like someone that was off on Saturday) should we now be trying to integrate replacements into the squad, i.e. Viviano and Jenks?

I'm a great fan of Sagna and I do hope he gets the contract that he deserves but if it isn't to be and a has another couple of stinkers like Saturday should Jenks come in sooner rather than later.

On another note, I really wish we had a DM like Khedira or someone of his ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Seen this tweet made think

On Ozil: Mourinho loves him, and he doesn't accept low work-rate. He must have it in him somewhere. #afc

I would have Ozil on the bench. He not cutting it at the minute. I think the pressure has got to him a bit. Wilshere like a loose cannon and in danger of being a liability to play. Hope for the best against united on Wednesday. With bottom of the league Fulham holding and almost beating man utd, we have to equal or better that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

At least Wilshere always turns up, not afraid of anyone. Probably our best player on Saturday too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I think the pressure has got to him a bit

I dont think its pressure. I just think he's not in his best form but for no specific reason. He done wonderfully well at Real where the pressure to perform is huge compared to the Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

AdamD wrote: »
    At least Wilshere always turns up, not afraid of anyone. Probably our best player on Saturday too..

Yeah but he needs to calm down a bit, the way he was acting on Saturday I thought he'll be getting marching orders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

niallo27 wrote: »
    Still house around the corner from brown Thomas is a good football pub. It's a liverpool pub but always a good mix.

Im glad I didn't make it to that pub then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Roaster wrote: »
    Well with the news that Fabianski is leaving URL="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11670/9159412/transfer-news-keeper-lukasz-fabianski-reveals-new-arsenal-contract-rejected"]source[/URL and the gossip that Sagna has turned down our latest offer (he certainly played like someone that was off on Saturday) should we now be trying to integrate replacements into the squad, i.e. Viviano and Jenks?

I'm a great fan of Sagna and I do hope he gets the contract that he deserves but if it isn't to be and a has another couple of stinkers like Saturday should Jenks come in sooner rather than later.

On another note, I really wish we had a DM like Khedira or someone of his ilk.

Isnt Viviano only on loan? Plus, he looks too much like Almunia for my liking :pac:

Jenkinson isnt ready to be first choice. He's in the perfect spot right now but wouldnt be ready to make the step up on a full time basis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement