Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Isnt Viviano only on loan? Plus, he looks too much like Almunia for my liking :pac:

Jenkinson isnt ready to be first choice. He's in the perfect spot right now but wouldnt be ready to make the step up on a full time basis.

Yes he's on loan but I think there's an option to buy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just to lighten the mood :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

when is the last time we beat man utd in the league?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

1-0 about 4 seasons ago, Ramsey scored. Could be wrong but thats the last one I can remember.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keano_afc wrote: »
    1-0 about 4 seasons ago, Ramsey scored. Could be wrong but thats the last one I can remember.

Yep, and last time in old trafford was in 06 when Adebayor scored in a 1-0 win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Craig Bellamy to face F.A. charge for incident in the Cardiff v Swansea game.
    Yaya Toure not to face F.A. charge for incident in the Norwich v Man City game.

Feckin double standards in favour of the big team.
    If Yaya played for Arsenal you can bet your life he'd face a charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

City seem to have got away with murder this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Love Toure as a player but it seems so do the officials and it lets them cloud their judgement.

Wilshere gets two games for a crowd gesture. Toure blatantly kicks out at another player and its overlooked.

Furthermore he put in a terrible tackle on Giroud in the game before Christmas and not a word about it never mind a yellow.

Bit of good news I guess.

Ribery confirmed to miss the game at the Emirates:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26122611

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Tancredi Palmeri ‏@tancredipalmeri 4h
    AN UNBELIEVABLE NEWS FOR ARSENAL FANS! I had to promise embargo until friday. IT IS HUGE!
    Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand

Apparently this guy called the van Persie move! Has got a lot wrong but sure we might as well live in hope for a few days ... could just be Wenger's new deal.... or nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hes incredibly unreliable, an absolute cretin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

blingrhino wrote: »
    when is the last time we beat man utd in the league?

Liverpool were saying the same thing Saturday morning.

AdamD wrote: »

A bit like the rest of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Not sure why people take the word of random twitterer's (is that a word?) to mean anything. 99% know as much as you and I do.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Not sure why people take the word of random twitterer's (is that a word?) to mean anything. 99% know as much as you and I do.

I don't - only ever believe anything until it's on Arsenal.com. I didn't believe Ozil was even remotely going to happen until it was actually announced. I'm just trying to forget the Liverpool saga - today was a loooooooooooooong day at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

He's an idiot. He blocked me immediately for calling him out for basically just repeating news from Sky Italy all year long

Fulham have released this statement for their game tomorrow:
    Following a number of enquiries regarding how the potential London Underground strike action may affect Wednesday evening’s fixture against Liverpool, the Club can confirm that it is currently proceeding on the basis that the game will go ahead.

However, the Club has concerns over the potential impact that the strike may have on the ability of its safety staff to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers to ensure that it is able to open the ground and effectively operate it, from the time that the gates are open to the public until the departure of all supporters.

After consulting with the Local Authority and the Metropolitan Police, it has been decided that if the proposed action is still undetermined at 3pm tomorrow (Tuesday), and the Club cannot guarantee enough staff are available to attend the ground in sufficient time and numbers, then as a consequence the Club would not be able to comply with the terms of its safety certificate and the fixture would be postponed and rescheduled for a future date.

A further statement will be released at 3pm on Tuesday to confirm whether the game will go ahead or be postponed.

We really need our game to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Maire2009 wrote: »

We really need our game to go ahead.

yes we do considering i just dropped £128 for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's ridiculous that Fulham are deciding about the game at this late stage after having known about the strike for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

TheCoolWay wrote: »
    He's an idiot. He blocked me immediately for calling him out for basically just repeating news from Sky Italy all year long

blocked me for the same, worst itk out there :pac:

• Advertisement

At least Wilshere always turns up, not afraid of anyone. Probably our best player on Saturday too..

I think the English media seem to be pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. All Wilshere was doing was whingeing at the ref and he was lucky to stay on the field. If Wilshere was German and Ozil was English id bet the criticism would be the other way round. Dont get me wrong, Ozil was dirt but im not seeing what Jack is bringing to the table at the moment.

It's ridiculous that Fulham are deciding about the game at this late stage after having known about the strike for weeks.

Seems to be a ploy according to a few. They had 120 minutes in the Cup against Sheff United last week and then the drain of the United game. Be interesting to see if they are pulled on it.

I think the English media seem to be pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. All Wilshere was doing was whingeing at the ref and he was lucky to stay on the field. If Wilshere was German and Ozil was English id bet the criticism would be the other way round. Dont get me wrong, Ozil was dirt but im not seeing what Jack is bringing to the table at the moment.

Apart from Oox he seems to be the only player that can run forwards and go by a player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Couldn't disagree any more, he was our best player. Wish people would use more than his nationality to rate him too. The old English are over-rated spiel has made some English players under-rated if anything.

Couldn't disagree any more, he was our best player. Wish people would use more than his nationality to rate him too. The old English are over-rated spiel has made some English players under-rated if anything.

Wasnt a hard task to pick our best player on Saturday. I personally believed the subs that came on offered alot more in terms of directness then the lads on the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

You seem to have taken issue with his attitude?

I know sometimes Wilshere can be a hothead so can a lot of players but I'd much rather see a player from Arsenal when loosing getting annoyed and worked up anyday over a player who shrugs there shoulders and doesn't care.

Players like that don't come along to often players like Roy Keane and Rooney who give there all and Wilshere is one of them players to never a bad thing to have in a team and great from a fans perspective to see it, Bergkamp was prone to the odd cloud of red mist as well amongst others a lot of great players have it. Beckham did, Zidane did it's there competitiveness that drives them to improve and to help there team.

You seem to have taken issue with his attitude?

I know sometimes Wilshere can be a hothead so can a lot of players but I'd much rather see a player from Arsenal when loosing getting annoyed and worked up anyday over a player who shrugs there shoulders and doesn't care.

Players like that don't come along to often players like Roy Keane and Rooney who give there all and Wilshere is one of them players to never a bad thing to have in a team and great from a fans perspective to see it, Bergkamp was prone to the odd cloud of red mist as well amongst others a lot of great players have it. Beckham did, Zidane did it's there competitiveness that drives them to improve and to help there team.

But that's all he seems to be offering tbh. You would identify the presence of the likes of Keane and Bergkamp on the field but i just couldn't mention Jack in the same breath as them.

Id consider Ramsey a far better player then him. Just think Jack is gone down a notch and is a far cry from the player Xavi and Iniesta wanted to swap shirts with or the player who gave a tour de force against Brazil last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Love watching Wilshere ,feel he's becoming quite hated by most other fans though but what's new with Arsenal players. Plays with his heart and you can feel his passion even though a little hotheaded.

Only other player I can recall recently is Frimpong. Wish injuries hadn't taken his chance (maybe not good enough anyways) but he was someone I always looked at as a player with a real passion for the club and a player who cared on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

But that's all he seems to be offering tbh. You would identify the presence of the likes of Keane and Bergkamp on the field but i just couldn't mention Jack in the same breath as them.

Id consider Ramsey a far better player then him. Just think Jack is gone down a notch and is a far cry from the player Xavi and Iniesta wanted to swap shirts with or the player who gave a tour de force against Brazil last year.

I will agree his form has been patchy this year but hes young and has suffered a serious of injuries much like Ramsey it will take him time to get back to his best, but there have been quite a few games this season were he has been our best player on the pitch.

Of coarse he is not at the same level of Bergkamp or Keane yet but time is on his side and I fully believe he will reach top level consistently people need to remember he is still young and learning.

Much like Ramey last year and Ozil this year fans need to be patient.

He certainly hasn't been as bad as your making him out to be he has some brilliant performances and that temper of his and ambition he shows is what will drive him back to his best, and until then I still want to see him show that passion and chase everything.

• Advertisement

I will agree his form has been patchy this year but hes young and has suffered a serious of injuries much like Ramsey it will take him time to get back to his best, but there have been quite a few games this season were he has been our best player on the pitch.

Of coarse he is not at the same level of Bergkamp or Keane yet but time is on his side and I fully believe he will reach top level consistently people need to remember he is still young and learning.

Much like Ramey last year and Ozil this year fans need to be patient.

He certainly hasn't been as bad as your making him out to be he has some brilliant performances and that temper of his and ambition he shows is what will drive him back to his best, and until then I still want to see him show that passion and chase everything.

Ya I think he has shown some good 2014 form. Particularly against Cardiff, Aston Villa and Fulham. Tries to get the tempo going. Will probably take more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Wonder will Arsene mix it up on Wednesday?

Giroud was rubbish(I know almost everyone was..), but he had a good chance early on in the game when it was only 1-0, only to take a bad touch and lose it doing a stupid dribble and the way he lost it after receiving it from Wilshere was very bad also, he looks tired to me. I wouldnt be against seeing Bendtner getting a start.

Gibbs and Rosicky surely will have to come in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's very frustrating with Wilshere. He builds up a head of steam and becomes more and more influential in games, then he gets injured. He comes back rusty but improves game on game and then gets injured again. At least this time he was only out a short while and hopefully will find his best form again shortly. If only he could stay uninjured for 20 games +.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

TheCoolWay wrote: »

Hopefully Ches doesn't take it personally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hopefully Ches doesn't take it personally!

revenge for Lewandoski

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    revenge for Lewandoski

Ha good spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Totally off topic lads but just wondering how many players in our current squad would get into our invincibles team?? I can only think of 1 or 2 to be honest.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Totally off topic lads but just wondering how many players in our current squad would get into our invincibles team?? I can only think of 1 or 2 to be honest.

I'd have Mert or Koscielny over Kolo Toure, probably Cashley over Gibbs and Sagna over Lauren. I think any of our current midfielders are more than likely better than Edu.

Squad wise the defence has to have the most prospects? Look at some of the back up for the Invincibles and it's scarce.

Theo is under rated by many but in my opinion is an excellent player for us who consistently delivers.

Getting into the team is different to the squad though.

Sagna v Lauren?

Toure v Koscielny/Mertesacker?

After that is there much debate?

I'd have Mert or Koscielny over Kolo Toure, probably Cashley over Gibbs and Sagna over Lauren. I think any of our current midfielders are more than likely better than Edu.

I would have Lauren over Sagna myself, he was hard as nails a very under rated payer in that team. Edu was a squad member im talking about getting into the starting 11 :) Koscielny for me instead of Toure and maybe Ozil for Ljungberg.

• Advertisement

I would have Lauren over Sagna myself, he was hard as nails a very under rated payer in that team. Edu was a squad member im talking about getting into the starting 11 :) Koscielny for me instead of Toure and maybe Ozil for Ljundberg.

Id just give it to Sagna over Lauren and maybe Kos over Kolo too.

And Gringo I think you are gone barking mad if you would have Ozil in any best Arsenal 11 on his play for the Club so far ahead of Theo Walcott or even Santi for that matter!:P

Id just give it to Sagna over Lauren and maybe Kos over Kolo too.

And Gringo I think you are gone barking mad if you would have Ozil in any best Arsenal 11 on his play for the Club so far ahead of Theo Walcott or even Santi for that matter!:P
    I just wanna see how he fairs with a pacey centre forward like Henry making runs along with Bobby Pires :D

I would have Lauren over Sagna myself, he was hard as nails a very under rated payer in that team. Edu was a squad member im talking about getting into the starting 11 :) Koscielny for me instead of Toure and maybe Ozil for Ljungberg.

Edu started quite a few games and Wenger more or less went to 4-5-1 with Henry up top but overall i get what your saying so scrap that.

Wouldnt have anyone over Gilberto who was a super engine in that midfield although his passing could be wayward on occasion. I understand what your saying re Lauren. I still just think Sagna offers slightly more defensively. Id probably go with Koc too because his pace would make up for Sols lack of.

I just wanna see how he fairs with a pacey centre forward like Henry making runs along with Bobby Pires :D

I get ya. It's a good question though - just shows how good that team was.

I would set a very high criteria to get into that team not only in terms of quality and reputation but application, effort, bravery, will to win, etc.

Id love a lot of them back now but as Tipp Gunner pointed out Gilberto was a great player. Would love his equivalent now too outside the other obvious attacking options we could do with.

I get ya. It's a good question though - just shows how good that team was.

I would set a very high criteria to get into that team not only in terms of quality and reputation but application, effort, bravery, will to win, etc.

Id love a lot of them back now but as Tipp Gunner pointed out Gilberto was a great player. Would love his equivalent now too outside the other obvious attacking options we could do with.

The only one that could push Gilberto in terms of box to box dynamism is Flamster really. If Arteta was younger like in his Everton days then perhaps he could challenge for a spot also but otherwise id see no reason to take Gilberto out of the team.
    There is plenty of our squad today who could challenge our squad players of back then like Podolski for Wiltord, Rosicky for Romford Pele, etc but most of our first 11 and Bergkamp are untouchable.

Gilberto Silva signed for us for pittance too, World Cup winner and we only paid around 4 million. What a player, he was a machine.

Gilberto Silva signed for us for pittance too, World Cup winner and we only paid around 4 million. What a player, he was a machine.

When you think how quick he settled in and then consider what Spurs paid for Paulinho last summer for example....football really has changed since the new money came flooding in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The only one that could push Gilberto in terms of box to box dynamism is Flamster really. If Arteta was younger like in his Everton days then perhaps he could challenge for a spot also but otherwise id see no reason to take Gilberto out of the team.
    There is plenty of our squad today who could challenge our squad players of back then like Podolski for Wiltord, Rosicky for Romford Pele, etc but most of our first 11 and Bergkamp are untouchable.

Ramsey no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Didn't he play a few games with a broken back? beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Didn't he play a few games with a broken back? beast!

Suddenly the signing of Kallstrom makes sense....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement