Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

AdamD wrote: »
    Literally just read that minutes ago, somebody must have retweeted. Hes obviously thought about it a lot but I think its so far wide off the mark. Hes basically blaming Wilshere for Arteta's massive deficiencies and our wing backs having horror shows. You can't over simplify things like that at all. He also came to the conclusion that Jack's best position in this team is RW, that makes my brain melt. He was our best player through the Newcastle/Cardiff/Spurs/Villa/Fulham period of games, I find it hard to see him getting the blame when Arteta's looked incredibly inept for over a month. Just because Ramsey has the attributes to make Arteta look good doesn't mean we should expect the rest of our CMs to do so.

Actually the more I read that the more it annoys me. Hes completely ignored the role of our wingers in the defending. Wilshere's positioning made it easy for them to double up on our full backs? God forbid the wingers help out there.

Or maybe I'm just the universal defender of all things Jack Wilshere.

Nope I agree with you Wilshere has had an up and down season sometimes brilliant sometimes terrible but that article is a load of bollocks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Literally just read that minutes ago, somebody must have retweeted. Hes obviously thought about it a lot but I think its so far wide off the mark. Hes basically blaming Wilshere for Arteta's massive deficiencies and our wing backs having horror shows. You can't over simplify things like that at all. He also came to the conclusion that Jack's best position in this team is RW, that makes my brain melt. He was our best player through the Newcastle/Cardiff/Spurs/Villa/Fulham period of games, I find it hard to see him getting the blame when Arteta's looked incredibly inept for over a month. Just because Ramsey has the attributes to make Arteta look good doesn't mean we should expect the rest of our CMs to do so.

Actually the more I read that the more it annoys me. Hes completely ignored the role of our wingers in the defending. Wilshere's positioning made it easy for them to double up on our full backs? God forbid the wingers help out there.

Exactly - some good points there.

We lose one game in a hammering and suddenly Jack Wilshere is the source of the teams 'woes'.

He didn't play against Southampton and we drew and played badly.

We won the previous 5/6 games he played in where he made significant impact.

Lazy and reactionary IMO too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I think in the summer we should really looking at two main positions. A center forward and a replacement for Arteta.

Arteta has been very good for us over the past 2 and a half years and he can still play a part over the next year or 2 but he is not a world class deep lying midfielder and he is never going to be given his age, lack of engine and pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

We lose one game in a hammering and suddenly Jack Wilshere is the source of the teams 'woes'.

I'm just going to say you can't blame any arsenal player for what happened on Saturday . It was a case of Liverpool being awesome and arsenal having a bad game . So you can't blame it on one player . If wilshere was for sale in the morning I would like Liverpool to put a bid in for him because he is a good / great player .

shano_88 wrote: »
    I think in the summer we should really looking at two main positions. A center forward and a replacement for Arteta.

Arteta has been very good for us over the past 2 and a half years and he can still play a part over the next year or 2 but he is not a world class deep lying midfielder and he is never going to be given his age, lack of engine and pace.

Wouldn't disagree with ya there. Not writing off Arteta or Flamini yet - huge roles to play but we do need to be looking at the 23/24 year old enforcer there like Chelsea have acquired in Matic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Good post

I don't take everything he writes as true but intend to agree with jacks positioning and how is hardly ever available for the ball when were building he is always way to far up the field

I also agree against the weaker team jack can play centrally but against the big teams he is bit of a liability at the moment

I think having to play arteta and jack in midfield were playing two players who are not playing very well at moment and that's a recipe for disaster

Wouldn't disagree with ya there. Not writing off Arteta or Flamini yet - huge roles to play but we do need to be looking at the 23/24 year old enforcer there like Chelsea have acquired in Matic.

We were looking at Bender during the summer so maybe we will go back in for him again this summer.

A the moment I certainly prefer Flamini in there over Arteta shame he's not back for the game tomorrow.

Agree said it here last week, buy the next best thing bed him in next year while also utilising arteta/flamini

Good post

I don't take everything he writes as true but intend to agree with jacks positioning and how is hardly ever available for the ball when were building he is always way to far up the field

I also agree against the weaker team jack can play centrally but against the big teams he is bit of a liability at the moment

I think having to play arteta and jack in midfield were playing two players who are not playing very well at moment and that's a recipe for disaster

There could be a case for playing Rosicky and Arteta in cm agaisnt United and have Wilshere further forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As I posted earlier Jack wasn't great against Man U, but he always seems to take a while to get back to his normal game after injury. He was only out for a short while so I'm hopeful he'll be back to his best tomorrow.

What really annoyed me though was why he stayed on after he received that nasty knock in the Coventry game. The game was won at that point and he should have been subsituted. Had he been, he might not have missed the Southampton game and then performed below par at Anfield

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I would like a flying left winger too.
    When Walcott returns we'll be ok on the right.
    We are not getting in behind defenders and are easy to play against at the moment.

There could be a case for playing Rosicky and Arteta in cm agaisnt United and have Wilshere further forward.

With what ozil and cazorla either side of him

I like it but it's very very attacking

I don't know think that would be a bit to flat would rather Pod, Ox or Gnabry on at least one of the wings to offer us something a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Win or nothing - let's be honest - this is the worst Utd set-up in years. We produced nothing at Old Trafford and were beaten - had we put in that performance against City or Liverpool we would have been beaten 6-3 or 5-1. Even with Mata Utd are in mid table form. If we don't take three points and kill them off once and for all we can forget winning a Premiership. They have two or three good players - after that they are ordinary with an ordinary manager. No reason to fear them - only RvP, Rooney and Mata. We have better midfield players and defenders and Giroud should fancy playing against their defence. Get out and kill them like we did against Napoli or Liverpool (at home).

Last Saturday was just one of those days when everything went right for Liverpool and nothing went right for us. But we have only ourselves and the manager to blame for that. Why he didn't start Rosicky and Arteta in Midfield is a mystery. After that it would have been Jack and Santi or Ozil with an instruction to Ox to lie on Gerard and not to give him time. We sent out a "home team" in a tough away game to a ground where the home teams record was excellent !!!

Any way I think we all expected to lose at least one game before the season's end and probably a draw or two as well. My hope is that the Liverpool game is the game we lose and we'll get a point off Chelsea and beat City at home. I think City and Chelsea could also lose/drop points to Liverpool - Utd could damage City further and the S***s could damage Chelsea. But all will count for nowt unless we beat Utd. I'd take a 1-0 but I'd prefer to beat them 2-0 or 3-1. We are due a good game against them but if we go out and give them a sniff they'll get confident and dig in for a win. I think Arsene needs to tell our guys - you're playing for places in next years squad - players are coming in the summer - no pussyfooting - these are players on huge money being watched by fans paying huge ticket prices. Hope you're reading this Ozil, Giroud and Santi - International players up against a has been Utd defence and a poor midfield.

COYG - restore the pride and show everyone we are genuine contenders.

And for the record I not writing off jack

He is not as his best but I'm sure he will turn out to be world class

He just needs some time

Getting at them down their left hand side is our best option even without Theo. Would like Ox or Gnabry.

Posted here on Sunday evening about Evra's positioning and Vidic is playing left centre back. Will be lots of chances for us to get in behind there and expose Vidic's lack of pace and Evra's indiscipline.

I have a feeling wenger will throw gnabry in at the deep end

We need a threat in behind could be like what he did the the ox a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ill be devastated if we dont win 2moro night, it will feel like another case of deja vu for us in that when theres the possibility of some silverware up for grabs at the back end of the season we implode. People moan on here about pundits not taking us seriously, but can we blame them with our track record they past 6 or 7 seasons?? Its a must win game but my heart says a 0-0 draw with us having plenty of the ball but unable to break them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I have a feeling wenger will throw gnabry in at the deep end

We need a threat in behind could be like what he did the the ox a few years ago
    My only issue with Gnabry, who is very very impressive, is that he never runs in behind. I think the Ox might provide more of that and even then they are a far cry from the Theo/Freddie mold. I watched a few Arsenal compilations last night and its just depressing to see how much Theo had been stretching defences before his injuries :(

Hoping to see Gibbs tomorrow night too, definitely above Nacho for me and adds in some badly needed pace.

• Advertisement

My only issue with Gnabry, who is very very impressive, is that he never runs in behind. I think the Ox might provide more of that and even then they are a far cry from the Theo/Freddie mold. I watched a few Arsenal compilations last night and its just depressing to see how much Theo had been stretching defences before his injuries :(

Hoping to see Gibbs tomorrow night too, definitely above Nacho for me and adds in some badly needed pace.

I agree I'm hoping in time Gnabry will do this more though it took Theo years to get good at it. Hopefully it won't take Gnabry as long for me he is ahead of were Theo was at that age.

Ox I'm hoping can start making them runs as well but I guess that depends more on were Wenger sees him playing in the future more centrally or out on the wing.

Yup. It is very attacking but we dont have many options really.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Yeah i mentioned that myself a few weeks back. Its just ive seen a few Arsenal websites this morning raving about him been back fit as if he was an important player in our squad.

I used to use the Arsenal forum on Soccer 24-7 but it appeared that there was full of 5 yr olds on it given the limited vocabulary in their posts. The final straw came when one poster was encouraging us to sign Julian Faubert who was at Bordeaux at the time by virtue of the fact he was supposedly an Arsenal fan

The problem with Ozil and Cazorla is that while good going forward they are not prepared to tackle or track back when losing possession. That has been left to our other midfielders unfortunately.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think I would be tempted to go

=======Arteta===============
    ================Ox=========
    ===Ozil===Rosicky===Carzola====
    ===========Giroud===========

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The problem with Ozil and Cazorla is that while good going forward they are not prepared to tackle or track back when losing possession. That has been left to our other midfielders unfortunately.

in his defence Santi is getting better at this.

Mesut though, he's not interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

I miss Aaron

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'd have to disagree. Cazorla has been very good at tracking back this season and I've seen him fill in for Gibbs at left back on a few occasions.

I know that this isn't the most reliable stat to back up my point but Cazorla started everyone of our Premier League clean sheets this season.

I think Wenger loves playing him because he does help that balance, as opposed to Ozil and Poldi.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree. Cazorla has been very good at tracking back this season and I've seen him fill in for Gibbs at left back on a few occasions.

I know that this isn't the most reliable stat to back up my point but Cazorla started everyone of our Premier League clean sheets this season.

I think Wenger loves playing him because he does help that balance, as opposed to Ozil and Poldi.

I have seen him on many occasions losing the ball and just standing there with hands on hips. Although he did chase back on Saturday after we went 2 down.
    Ozil didn't bother but then maybe that's the kind of player he is or maybe he was told to stay forward and not track back.

Podolski in a little tribute to Michael Schumacher, the boots he plans on wearing against Uinted

BgL-XOoIEAAskxV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Fcuk fcuk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Podolski in a little tribute to Michael Schumacher, the boots he plans on wearing against Uinted

BgL-XOoIEAAskxV.jpg

hope he scores a couple with them

West Brom have just missed 3 really good chances.

Can still get something here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

OH YES!

• Moderators Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Woohoo! Now hold on.

Anichebe you beauty!!!! Now hold on or better still get a winner!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

6 minutes ffs

Mickeroo wrote: »
    6 minutes ffs

Just as there was at Stamford when Jose's unbeaten record SHOULD HAVE ended

ronjo wrote: »
    West Brom have just missed 3 really good chances.

Can still get something here.

Yesssssssssssss...... What did I say? What did I fcuking say??

Jasus no one wants to stay on top of the league these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Win tomorrow and we are back on top. Chelsea showing their character as usual. We are still well in this race

• Advertisement

Feckin well done WB :D:D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Puts losing to Liverpool into perspective.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Boom! come on boys, a win tomorrow might and that crap last saturday morning will mean nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Win tomorrow and we are back on top.

COYG.

COYG!!! Win tomorrow night and shove it down those pundits throats!!

Chelsea dropping points tonight is great but still counts for feck all unless we beat United tomorrow.

The game tomorrow is 3 points and more importantly getting over our mental block.

Jasus no one wants to stay on top of the league these days.

All this shíte about us we've been on top more gameweeks then anyone this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

At this rate, Liverpool might start thinking they have a chance!
    So, win tomorrow and we are back on top.

Could someone go and help them with the mental block they have against Utd?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Guardian

Full-time: West Brom 1-1 Chelsea: A great point for Chelsea, one that consolidates their position in the top four.

• Advertisement

Guardian

:confused:..........:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement