Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

keano_afc wrote: »
    And to think we refused to pay the money for Higuain. What a joke.

we needed a striker pace really. I don't think Higuain is blessed with it either.
    But it's clear Giroud isn't good enough when it comes to the bigger games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

I would love to know what the issue is with Podolski, He gives width, he comes inside and offers a huge threat, he scores a fair few crackers, he can change a game in the blink of an eye...... he stays on the bench for the whole game when in the last twenty mins he is exactly what we needed!
    Very frustrating night against a very average Utd team. Wilshere was astonishingly casual when receiving the ball in midfield, it was suicidal at times and nearly cost us the game near the end. Better from Ozil in the second half and Cazorla tried to get things going. Gibbs was good and needs to be first choice left back, he is better than Monreal! Didn't take our chance to get back top and we won't have to many more chances so we need to sort out our casual play very quickly because I cant see City and Chelsea slipping up too many more times in the business end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Who? Rosicky? Pod belongs on the left, should have been on instead of oxo, he offers nothing as a lone striker.

Giroud offers very little, well he he hasn't offered anything in the last 2 months. His hold up play has either been found out or has just gone to crap. Even Bendtner would have made a bigger impact in that game.

Tactically I thought that was all wrong, we need at least 1 winger in the 3 behind Giroud, Ox or Gnabry. Far too predictable otherwise. Am I right in saying we haven't won a big game in which Ramsey hasn't played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Random points in random order.

1: It was more important not to lose tonight rather than to win IMO. As defensive as I've ever seen Wenger go.

2: WTF is Giroud supposed to do? All we do is play the ball to his feet and expect miracles from him. I think it's really really unfair that he gets hung out to dry cause he's not on Ozil's wavelength when they're trying to play little one-two's around players. He's a big handsome french lump of a forward FFS and we're using him like he's Suarez.

3: Nice to see Ozil have a decent game.

4: Nice to see Kos and Mert be solid.

5: Wilshire is a liability in that advanced role. I think he needs a Ramsey like spell on the wing till he learns to stop giving it away.

6: 1 point against Utd this year is really dissapointing

7: I want a questionable decision like the Giroud penalty appeal go our way. Have we had a single one this year? City have had millions, Chelsea have had loads too. Like i know they've had them go against them too but i can't remember one we've had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Who? Rosicky? Pod belongs on the left, should have been on instead of oxo, he offers nothing as a lone striker.

He's only been tried once or twice up front Giroud tonight up front was atrocious if we had a decent CF on the pitch tonight we would have won imo Giroud can't head, has no pace and doesn't make enough runs needs the ball to his feet.

Ozil was decent tonight looked our most dangerous player always trying to find something.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Why Wenger picks Santi to play on the left when you have Podolski there ready and waiting is strange. He will not be there next season anyway which is a pity as I always liked him and always had an eye for goal. We need two strikers in the summer. Giourd is ****ed. Utter madness to not to get someone in. A part of me hopes in blows up in Wengers face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I thought Ozil was good tonight - he got stuck in and made a few runs. What's he meant to do though when he has no-one and literally NO-ONE making runs for him?! Is Gnabry injured? Was he on the bench? We're too one-dimensional without Theo, so bloody give Gnabry a go, or let the Ox roam a bit and let Ozil find him. Grow a set of balls Wenger, drawing games against mid-table sides isn't worth a sh1t to us at this stage in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

jank wrote: »
    Mentally were are ****ed for the rest of the season and Wenger knows it. Its the same story all the time. When there is no pressure and people write Arsenal off they go and do well, when the pressure is one usually this time of year, they crumple. The issue is with Wenger tbh, it must rub off the players.
    This time next week we will probably be out of the running in all competitions……again.

I am not having that. Huge pressure on those games away at west ham and Newcastle at Christmas. Dug in to get that late winner home to Cardiff. Tough battle with Palace.
    We were on top playing those games when everyone expected us to screw up.
    In fact, we are the only team who have done well when on top.
    Liverpool didn't , city didn't , Chelsea didn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Pool 3 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Very big opportunity missed tonight. Giroud should have finished at least one of his chances but the issue that concerns me more is our severe lack of pace and movement. We have no outlet or threat at all. At least with Walcott the defenders were worried if they left him with too much space he'd skin them. We are to indirect, we need to simplify our attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

gosplan wrote: »

1: It was more important not to lose tonight rather than to win IMO. As defensive as I've ever seen Wenger go.

2: WTF is Giroud supposed to do? All we do is play the ball to his feet and expect miracles from him. I think it's really really unfair that he gets hung out to dry cause he's not on Ozil's wavelength when they're trying to play little one-two's around players. He's a big handsome french lump of a forward FFS and we're using him like he's Suarez.

5: Wilshire is a liability in that advanced role. I think he needs a Ramsey like spell on the wing till he learns to stop giving it away.

7: I want a questionable decision like the Giroud penalty appeal go our way. Have we had a single one this year? City have had millions, Chelsea have had loads too. Like i know they've had them go against them too but i can't remember one we've had.

Completely disagree about giroud

Big games ya don't get many chances he had two and didn't even work the keeper

A part of me hopes in blows up in Wengers face.

Silly talk. Who wants their team to blow it just to prove a point.
    He made a serious mistake did Wenger but hoping it means we lose the league over it makes me angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Missed 4 headers tonight alone, what strengths are they supposed to play to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Giroud should have been on the score sheet tonight. Very very poor finishing.

I counted ozil breaking 4 times tonight and had to come back cause no one ahead of him

We lack pace and a works class striker

Wilshere was the worst player on the pitch pure brutal

Completely disagree about giroud

Big games ya don't get many chances he had two and didn't even work the keeper

Giroud is good when you are playing Cardiff or West Ham at home but we need a striker who gets one chance and buries it. Giroud isn't that striker, Wenger is to blame for that. It's all very one dimensional with Giroud in our side.

Last point.

I think tonight was a lot about confidence and Wenger really didn't want to lose this one. We need to improve and go on a run and that's about more than just committing numbers forward in this game.

The last time we were torn apart in the league before Liverpool was against City. the very next match was against Chelsea and it was a super cagey 0-0

Then we won five or six on the spin. We need to do that now.

our next league matches are Sunderland, Stoke, Swansea, Spurs,

Win those four and I'm imagine we'd be top going into the Chelsea game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Why Wenger picks Santi to play on the left when you have Podolski there ready and waiting is strange. He will not be there next season anyway which is a pity as I always liked him and always had an eye for goal. We need two strikers in the summer. Giourd is ****ed. Utter madness to not to get someone in. A part of me hopes in blows up in Wengers face.

Why would a part of you hope it blows up in Wengers face?

Sorry but I just think thats a strange comment because I think the majority of us here wouldn't dare wish it blowing in his face, we want success!

I guess after the Liverpool drugging last weekend a point against Utd isn't too bad.

United got 4 points from us this season.

Embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Personally i think it was a mistake not to start the Ox.

He's been in good form since coming back and offered what Arsenal badly missed - a bit of pace and power.

For all the pretty football, there's nobody really barring the full backs with any zip.

It would have given United a different headache with pace to worry about. It's not as if Uniteds midfield is filled with Speedy Gonzalez's! Carrick.....Cleverly....

I've defended Giroud all season but he should have taken one.

All things being equal not a disaster. An opportunity lost but still a point off top and comparitively a better point than Chelsea got. Plus a break coming at the right time now to rest up and come back refreshed and ready to rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

So can we all make the point to not doubt Ozils ability again. Best player on the pitch for us today.
    But mother of god we are such a slow team on the break. The fact that we don't have a direct replacement for Theo could cost us the title when all is said and done.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I guess after the Liverpool drugging last weekend a point against Utd isn't too bad.

I'd probably be ok with it if Liverpool hadn't nabbed a winner tonight. Tightest table in a very long time.

Mentally were are ****ed for the rest of the season and Wenger knows it. Its the same story all the time. When there is no pressure and people write Arsenal off they go and do well, when the pressure is one usually this time of year, they crumple. The issue is with Wenger tbh, it must rub off the players.
    This time next week we will probably be out of the running in all competitions……again.

You are the greatest supporter in the history of sport.

Seriously though, we've been great at run-ins for a while now.

Also we're just a point behind Chelsea and will be this time next week.

I still think a draw tonight is OK. A loss would have destroyed the confidence. We played not to lose and achieved that result. That builds the team, not the other way around.

Tightest table in a very long time.

From the very top to the bottom.

ronjo wrote: »
    I am not having that. Huge pressure on those games away at west ham and Newcastle at Christmas. Dug in to get that late winner home to Cardiff. Tough battle with Palace.
    We were on top playing those games when everyone expected us to screw up.
    In fact, we are the only team who have done well when on top.
    Liverpool didn't , city didn't , Chelsea didn't

Yet, today was an chance for Arsenal to go top, have some balls and go out and win a game, against a demoralised and over the hill untied side. When was the last time we beat United? It must be a few years at this stage. Did we do well against Chelsea? Man City? Liverpool last week? The players should have been firing and raging after last weekends debacle, instead we got a defence first mentality, a team more afraid of losing than of winning. A team like that will never anything I am afraid. Best we can hope for in my opinion is 3rd and an FA cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Marie speaks sence, about 90 minutes when we should have been attacking Ozil made a pass back to Mert and got a bollicking for it, he threw his hands up and pointed out he has NOBODY to pass the ball to!

We've made a right mess of it, buying Ozil is a huge step forward but with the way we've been picking up injuries particularly Walcott and not buying sensibly in January has pretty much ended our chances. The man has nobody making runs for him. Must be incredibly frustrating for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This result doesn't just keep us off the top. It drops us to third. It leaves us back battling with an in form Liverpool for 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Thinking about this further given the devastation racked on us last weekend by Liverpool this is not a bad result. The team lacked confidence, Giroud lacks confidence. Ozil reacted well to the criticism leveled at him and played very well at times tonight but at times he was isolated with no one giving him a passing option.

Sunderland next in the League we need to get a big win there to get back on track!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Liverpool right up us now after us being 8 clear. Spurs within 6 now. Season could collapse in a few weeks. The need for a quality striker was highlighted tonight.

Giroud just isn't good enough and Wengers insistance on giving him 90 mins is baffling.

I think if ourselves or Chelsea had a top class CF both would be a few points clear at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

We've looked uninspired for a few games now. I'd like to some changes made for the next game. Losing Flamini in the midfield has been a massive loss imo.

Want to see Pod startas a wing forward for the next game, with the Ox starting too.Think Giroud should be benched and put Bendtner up top. Giroud has been severely lacking form as of late.

We can still do it though, if Ramsey makes it back for the start of March Madness and we have picked ourselves up in the meantime, we could still be in contention.

Disappointed but there's hope yet.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Quazzie wrote: »
    This result doesn't just keep us off the top. It drops us to third. It leaves us back battling with an in form Liverpool for 4th.

Bit of perspective. We're in second, City have to actually win that game in hand. We're not in a battle for 4th, as of tonight it's a 4 way battle for the title imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

The way I look at it we have dropped five points over the last two games.

I expected us to play to a standard that could suggest we deserve to be title contenders but all I have seen is one dimensional football with no drive.

There is no excuse for professional footballers at Arsenal not having a first touch and passing accurate balls in centre midfield. It wasn't there tonight or Saturday for long periods.

The worst thing about tonight/Saturday is that for the first time this season i'm thinking that maybe we are not good enough to win the league with the team as it is.

That's the thing, we have been playing poor for 2 months now, but scraping results, but that will only last so long.

We so poor and void of ideas.

Can't see it getting better.

• Advertisement

You are the greatest supporter in the history of sport.

Seriously though, we've been great at run-ins for a while now.

Also we're just a point behind Chelsea and will be this time next week.

I still think a draw tonight is OK. A loss would have destroyed the confidence. We played not to lose and achieved that result. That builds the team, not the other way around.

Run ins where we are fighting for 4th, when was the last time we had a serious serious run in for the league? 2007-2008 and we all know what happened there…

United were happy with the draw, I cannot for the life of me think that Arsenal would be happy with a draw against a mid table team. Chelsea beat them at home, City destroyed them, Liverpool beat them, Spurs did them at their place. Total lack of ambition I think. The Wenger of old would have gone for the juggler.

I am just angry at the mentality of the team after being beaten by such a fashion by Liverpool. No confidence there tonight to finish United off, never mind the debacle of the transfer window. It is like one step forwards, two steps back for Wenger the last few years. Is anyone actually serious that Arsenal are going to be in the running come April/May? Hand on heart? I think even Wenger does not believe it and that is the core of the problem.

There's nothing more to say on tonights game. Im numb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Jesus it's miserable in here. What would it have been like had that Van Persie header gone in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Wenger stated not so long ago that Podolski is our most clinical finisher and yet when we're crying out for a goal and some cutting edge, he doesn't bring him on. Am I missing something or what the fcuk is the rationale behind that? Why persist with Giroud for the full 90 instead of bringing on fresh legs against two United centre-backs with a combined age of 67? The lack of pace and a plan b up front will continue to be our undoing against the bigger teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Giroud just isn't good enough and Wengers insistance on giving him 90 mins is baffling.

I think if ourselves or Chelsea had a top class CF both would be a few points clear at the top.

Definitely. I think even with a back up striker for variation/Giroud resting it would be a similar situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think the caution was understandable after what happened on Saturday.

Wenger stated not so long ago that Podolski is our most clinical finisher and yet when we're crying out for a goal and some cutting edge, he doesn't bring him on. Am I missing something or what the fcuk is the rationale behind that? Why persist with Giroud for the full 90 instead of bringing on fresh legs against two United centre-backs with a combined age of 67? The lack of pace and a plan b up front will continue to be our undoing against the bigger teams.

We were kore like to loose that game than win it with podolski on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Run ins where we are fighting for 4th, when was the last time we had a serious serious run in for the league? 2007-2008 and we all know what happened there…

United were happy with the draw, I cannot for the life of me think that Arsenal would be happy with a draw against a mid table team. Chelsea beat them at home, City destroyed them, Liverpool beat them, Spurs did them at their place. Total lack of ambition I think. The Wenger of old would have gone for the juggler.

I am just angry at the mentality of the team after being beaten by such a fashion by Liverpool. No confidence there tonight to finish United off, never mind the debacle of the transfer window. It is like one step forwards, two steps back for Wenger the last few years. Is anyone actually serious that Arsenal are going to be in the running come April/May? Hand on heart? I think even Wenger does not believe it and that is the core of the problem.
    Cop the **** on. One step forward, two back? We were in a better position this time last year, were we?

That was a dire performance. But we're two points off top at worst. Anyone who says they wouldn't have taken that last summer is a liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Plenty of optimism guys! A point and a clean sheet is always welcome, especially against Utd. Moyes had them defensively top notch tonight! Ozil and Cazorla did play well as did Sagna and Gibbs. It's obvious that this team lacks pace as we can't stretch teams when breaking. Wenger will have to address that in the summer (hopefully with Draxler). We need real quality wingers that can hurt teams! Ramsey back next month is encouraging! A defeat tonight would have been demoralizing but we didn't lose! Sunderland, Stoke and Swansea are all must win games! COYG

Yet, today was an chance for Arsenal to go top, have some balls and go out and win a game, against a demoralised and over the hill untied side. When was the last time we beat United? It must be a few years at this stage. Did we do well against Chelsea? Man City? Liverpool last week? The players should have been firing and raging after last weekends debacle, instead we got a defence first mentality, a team more afraid of losing than of winning. A team like that will never anything I am afraid. Best we can hope for in my opinion is 3rd and an FA cup.

Thanks for totally ignoring everything I wrote.
    Imagine that, we have done rubbish against the other teams at the top.
    We must be ten points off the lead. Oh right, we are one ****ing point off the lead.
    How is this possible?

I'm fuming after tonight's game the Liverpool result was a freak but tonight was poor and a game I hoped would restore belief tonight a lot of fans hoping Wenger would bring on Bendtner for Giroud which says it all really.

Still think this season could end great or terrible for me terrible is 4th right now its in the balance its that tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Arsenal were drugged on Saturday. It all makes sense now :pac:

Cop the **** on. One step forward, two back? We were in a better position this time last year, were we?

That was a dire performance. But we're two points off top at worst. Anyone who says they wouldn't have taken that last summer is a liar.

One point mate.

Quazzie wrote: »

Quazzie, nothing personal intended but your interpretation above is about as negative as you can put a spin on it.

the result keeps us in second. City have a game in hand, they are not top.

And given it's one point up to Chelsea and three back to Liverpool, it leaves everyone battling with an-in form Liverpool. The advantage is the other two teams involved still have to play them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Before you guys go to sleep tonight just have one thought

1 point off the top.

Not 11 off 4th.

From a PL perspective we have winnable games coming up and the others have some tough games - not to mention City who will have a bit of a fixture congestion.

1 off the top.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement