Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We couldn't beat west brom either.

You make out we should be winning all games as if it's that easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

You make out we should be winning all games as if it's that easy

No just meant west brom are hood at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It might be understandable for you but I don't understand it at all.
    We should have gone for the jugular from the start but the team selection had draw written all over it.
    No ambition from Wenger.
    A slow defensive selection in my opinion.
    It was like a team selected for an away fixture at an in-form United.

4 days before we had been heavily beaten. We were playing against a team that we regularly struggle against. Of course the team were always going to be psychologically fragile. I really struggle to see how that is difficult to understand.

greendom wrote: »
    4 days before we had been heavily beaten. We were playing against a team that we regularly struggle against. Of course the team were always going to be psychologically fragile. I really struggle to see how that is difficult to understand.

I can't get the thinking either

That game was more important not too loose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Had to wait a bit to cool down before I posted as I could of said a few things I regretted. First of all the first half we were sh1te (we were a bit better in the second half, showed a bit more urgency, and a special mention must go to Chesney who pulled an absolute save right out of the top drawer to keep us level), any time a team plays a pressing game against us we panic and give possession away needlessly. Secondly Arteta looked very pedestrian again tonight, he really isnt up to the requiredlevel against the top teams, we badly miss Ramsey and Flamini in the middle of the park, especially Ramsey who makes lovely runs into the box, exactly what weve been missing these past few games. People moan about Podolski not coming on but whats the point?? Hes no pace either and always looks for the ball to feet, hes basically a carbon copy of Giroud.

We just have no penetration in the final third, and its all down to not having any pace out wide or up top, look back to our greatest teams over the years, pace is one thing we had in abundance. The Walcott injury was a massive blow but what kills me is we could of went out and bought in January to fill the void he left!!

I would be even thinking of playing Gnabry or even Oxlade Chamberlain up front v Bayern, its the only way we will score against them or even threaten to.

So deflated over the last 2 games, even 4 points from them and we would be sitting at the top a few points clear with a few nice games coming up in the legue :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Its 5 points dropped in two games.
    A week ago people were talking about the minimum points we needed from the 2 games.
    Most said at least 4 points.
    Nobody said 1 point.

The reason we only got 1 point was because of poor play, poor team selection and poor management.
    No other reason.
    We lacked ambition clearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Its 5 points dropped in two games.
    A week ago people were talking about the minimum points we needed from the 2 games.
    Most said at least 4 points.
    Nobody said 1 point.

The reason we only got 1 point was because of poor play, poor team selection and poor management.
    No other reason.
    We lacked ambition clearly.

Not to mention, a lot of the lads out there look knackered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I can't get the thinking either

That game was more important not too loose

Were meant to be challenging for the title 3 points is all we should ever aim for, were not underdogs fighting relegation hoping to scrape a draw regardless of the previous result.

As tayto said before these two games everyone said we needed 4 pts not 1pt, 1 is not good enough.

Is it a case of groundhog day and us bottling it again when the chance of silverware is looming, I really hope not. I noticed as well tonight a few of our players falling over from the slightest of nudges, I think we have to man up a bit and show some more fight. What I would do to have a Vieira, Gilberto Silva and Henry in this side, we would walk this league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

Very disappointing. This was a real chance and it was blown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gringo180 wrote: »
    What I would do to have a Vieira, Gilberto Silva and Henry in this side, we would walk this league.

Even a Giles Grimaldi or a Ray Parlour would be welcome, someone who is prepared to really fight for it!

This makes me laugh every time I watch it!

Were meant to be challenging for the title 3 points is all we should ever aim for, were not underdogs fighting relegation hoping to scrape a draw regardless of the previous result.

As tayto said before these two games everyone said we needed 4 pts not 1pt, 1 is not good enough.

Were one point off top

So that's not challenging for the title?

gandalf wrote: »
    Even a Giles Grimaldi or a Ray Parlour would be welcome, someone who is prepared to really fight for it!

This makes me laugh every time I watch it!
    His face after he tackled him, cult hero :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I get the feeling that this team and management is happy to be actually just challenging for the title, not winning it!

Were one point off top

So that's not challenging for the title?

The last number of displays were certainly not going to challenge for any title.
    Wishy-washy from the manager too.

The last number of displays were certainly not going to challenge for any title.

Can't win them all tayto

Still there playing bad

What will happen if we actually play good??

Agree and its very worrying that we still can never seem to beat any of our title rivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Agree and its very worrying that we still can never seem to beat any of our title rivals.

We beat Liverpool this season

I remember this time last year we were 19 points off top people were moaning

Fast forward 12 months were one point off top, people are still moaning

I guess some people will never be happy

If that's how your way of supporting our club fair enough

I rather look at the positives and get some enjoyment out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Maybe so but I think it can be argued that the whole league this year is "wishy washy" every team is messing up. Chelsea have dropped points, Man City have dropped points. Feck it Liverpool are in the mix again.

For the neutral observer this is a great league and it will more than likely go to the final day of the season. We're still in that mix unlike last seasons champions who are definitely out of the running.

We are still fighting for silverware on 3 fronts. Every team has a bad run of results, we've had ours and we are still only 1 point off the top. Lets look forward to this weekend and support the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

We wouldn't have accepted 1 point from the last two matches before they were played but i think most would have been happy to be just 1 point off the lead after them. It's not all bad.

You're talking Shiite to be honest.

I said before this season even started we would challenge I still believe we will.

Does that mean we should be happy with the last two results? No. Does that mean 1pt from 6 is good enough? No. Does it mean we should be currently happy with recent performances? No.

Stop trying to play the higher than mighty supporter.

efb wrote: »
    We beat Liverpool this season

I wouldnt of considered them title challengers when we beat them, it seems that when we know were playing our main rivals for the league title we seem to freeze, look at our results against Utd, Chelsea and City over the past few seasons. It doesnt make for pretty reading.

You're talking Shiite to be honest.

I said before this season even started we would challenge I still believe we will.

Does that mean we should be happy with the last two results? No. Does that mean 1pt from 6 is good enough? No. Does it mean we should be currently happy with recent performances? No.

Stop trying to play the higher than mighty supporter.

How am I been higher than mighty???

I take the positives that were one point of the top playing poorly

I will leave you and rest wallow about is been ****e

People coming on constantly moaning is only ****e been talked on this thread

I would agree with this if we had of won a trophy or 2 in the last 8 years, but we havent and us fans are hungry for some success.

• Advertisement

I would agree with this if we had of won a trophy or 2 in the last 8 years, but we havent and us fans are hungry for some success.

See how happy this thread will be with the fa cup If we finish 5th

Can't win them all tayto

Still there playing bad

What will happen if we actually play good??

We can't continue to hope that other teams fcuk-up in order for us to succeed.
    It's a cowardly wishy-washy way to do business.
    Everyone would agree that you have to go out and win your home games yet Wenger selected a team which was clearly designed not to lose.
    So did Moyes.
    Two cowardly managers in my opinion. Just read the United thread from time to time.
    No excuse for that tonight. We had a chance to redeem ourselves after Saturday's debacle and we failed miserably. Manager and team.
    Please stop trying to justify the inexcusable.

See how happy this thread will be with the fa cup If we finish 5th

Why does it have to be 5th and a trophy? A club like Arsenal is good enough to win both Fa Cup and Prem Lge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Yes, we're one point of top, But we could've easily been 5-6 ahead of everyone. I mean this was the time to capitalise on the blip of our nearest rivals and when we get another round of tough games in March, we've a bit of cushion.

But more than anything else it's the performances which rile me...

We can't continue to hope that other teams fcuk-up in order for us to succeed.
    It's a cowardly wishy-washy way to do business.
    Everyone would agree that you have to go out and win your home games yet Wenger selected a team which was clearly designed not to lose.
    So did Moyes.
    Two cowardly managers in my opinion. Just read the United thread from time to time.
    No excuse for that tonight. We had a chance to redeem ourselves after Saturday's debacle and we failed miserably. Manager and team.
    Please stop trying to justify the inexcusable.

What team would you put out "to win" so

• Advertisement

How am I been higher than mighty???

I take the positives that were one point of the top playing poorly

I will leave you and rest wallow about is been ****e

People coming on constantly moaning is only ****e been talked on this thread

Just read your recent posts they reek of someone trying to sit up on a high horse.

Did you or did you not agree we needed 4pts from those two games? Do you think we should be happy with the last two results?

Yes were 1pt off and I still think we will challenge I think Giroud is our biggest obstacle on winning it but we still can.

Were 1pt off but were now back watching results below and above us were I think right now we should have been top and letting the rest watch our redults. Excuse me for having ambition.

What team would you put out "to win" so

Ah the usual question when somebody disagrees that we done good.

I would have played Gnabry and maybe Ox or Podolski maybe from the start or certainly when it was clear that things were not working. We had no speed in the team (after all we bought nobody to replace Walcott).
    I would have sent them out to battle from the start not just to prevent the other team from playing.

This team is missing Walcott big time, most of Girouds goals come from good wing play and balls getting played across goal for him to slot home. We are very very narrow and it is so easy to play against. Wenger surely must see this, does anybody think we are trying to accomadate to many central players into our starting XI??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Giroud has been piss poor in the last few games, imagine if that traitor had got the chances Giroud got today. He would've gleefully buried them.

Yep totally agree we're so narrow, it's so easy to defend against us. and when we've the ball we feckin try to pass it into the goal.

Just read your recent posts they reek of someone trying to sit up on a high horse.

Did you or did you not agree we needed 4pts from those two games? Do you think we should be happy with the last two results?

Yes were 1pt off and I still think we will challenge I think Giroud is our biggest obstacle on winning it but we still can.

Were 1pt off but were now back watching results below and above us were I think right now we should have been top and letting the rest watch our redults. Excuse me for having ambition.

Liverpool no, today not so bad

Were in a title race were playing poorly but were there only one of the top

I'm thinking what will happen if we start playing better if were still here in a slump

I agree with ya about giroud

I rather look forward 12 to go still ion the mix things could get better players coming back from injury

Instead of were crap the manger is crap the players are crap we won't win anything blah blah blah

Gets annoying when it's every post

Ah the usual question when somebody disagrees that we done good.

I would have played Gnabry and maybe Ox or Podolski maybe from the start or certainly when it was clear that things were not working. We had no speed in the team (after all we bought nobody to replace Walcott).
    I would have sent them out to battle from the start not just to prevent the other team from playing.

So pod who won't track back and is useless up front

I thought we put out an attacking team done out usual contain in the first half that we always do

And we created enough chances to win the game in the second half

Just lacked quailty

Performance wise I thought we were good

We had a better striker that game was in the bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

obviously very disappointed with the result. I wanted the win, regardless of the title race.

Also this thread is giving me a headache right now, so Good night and will talk to you tomorrow when most people will be less frustrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

The lack of goals is a concern, our GD is now well below most of the teams around us.

Ramsey was banging them in in the first 1/2 of the season, Walcott was beginning to score, without the 2 of them we have become frugal offensively.

Giroud/Ozil/Wilshere arent heavy scorers. Rosicky/Arteta less so.

The Ox could possibly step up, Gnabry isnt the answer looking for goals.

It's a worry.

Liverpool no, today not so bad

Were in a title race were playing poorly but were there only one of the top

I'm thinking what will happen if we start playing better if were still here in a slump

I agree with ya about giroud

I rather look forward 12 to go still ion the mix things could get better players coming back from injury

Instead of were crap the manger is crap the players are crap we won't win anything blah blah blah

Gets annoying when it's every post

But I think was just as bad if not worse for 2 reasons one we really needed to bounce back after the weekend and two we were playing a poor side at home the type of game we need to be winning.

Saturday was a shock tonight was more frustrating.

Glad we agree on Giroud :) he's been muck and not good enough ill be raging if we loose out on the title just short a proper CF goalscorer.

I know we have players coming back bit if we don't find form or goals soon it could be over by then plus were also going to be hoping relying on a young player just back from injury to hit the ground running and get is back on form which is really worrying.

I don't think most people are saying were crap manager crap etc just pointing put were we have been going wrong.

Completely unrelated am I right in thinking the Liverpool game Saturday is an early kick off? if so ill be missing it be on a flight to Poland.

Giroud has been piss poor in the last few games, imagine if that traitor had got the chances Giroud got today. He would've gleefully buried them.

Yep totally agree we're so narrow, it's so easy to defend against us. and when we've the ball we feckin try to pass it into the goal.

The traitor missed some glorious chances today too. Had he missed those chances for US in this fixture, we'd be crucifying him too.

• Advertisement

dorgasm wrote: »
    The traitor missed some glorious chances today too. Had he missed those chances for US in this fixture, we'd be crucifying him too.

Ha I was waiting for that to pop up, the difference is 9 times out 10 he will score them if we had a CF of that calibre I think we can all agree we would have more goals and points on the board.

9 timed out of 10 Giroud will miss chances and is offering little else to warrant a place in the team other than we have no one else Wenger trusts.

This team is missing Walcott big time, most of Girouds goals come from good wing play and balls getting played across goal for him to slot home. We are very very narrow and it is so easy to play against. Wenger surely must see this, does anybody think we are trying to accomadate to many central players into our starting XI??

Yep, either one of santi Jack or Ozil has to be dropped for good, can't have 3 number 10s all in the mid, just won't work.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Completely unrelated am I right in thinking the Liverpool game Saturday is an early kick off? if so ill be missing it be on a flight to Poland.

We're not playing them until sunday I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

except RVP had two goldenn opprtunities that were much easier then giruds chance

Ha I was waiting for that to pop up, the difference is 9 times out 10 he will score them if we had a CF of that calibre I think we can all agree we would have more goals and points on the board.

9 timed out of 10 Giroud will miss chances and is offering little else to warrant a place in the team other than we have no one else Wenger trusts.

Obviously what I said is a strawman, I knew it was when I wrote it. My point is that even a big player like traitor can miss in the big games. Giroud is not our only problem and of course I think we could do with some world class firepower, but I think our problems go beyond that. Our midfield has looked extremely flat lately compared to the start of the season. The Ramsey injury has had a massive impact on that, no doubt, but we have more than enough in Cazorla, Ozil, Rosicky, Wilshere, Pod, Ox etc etc, to make things happen but they just aren't happening!

I mentioned earlier in the thread that it looked like we were struggling/not getting out of second gear and could find it difficult to up the ante once the big games came. Others optimistically said that we were saving ourselves for those big games. I think we can see what was really going on during those games now. The scraped victories and tight games weren't an intentional means of saving ourselves, they were just a sign of a team lacking energy and perhaps ideas to an extent.

Anyway, miraculously still only a point from the top so we've it all to play for. I really don't think we should focus too much attention on the Champions League, as much as that pains me to say. Bayern will probably (hope I'm wrong) be too god for us and playing those games with full teams with a high intensity will be very taxing. A revenge drubbing at the weekend and re-establishing our top spot in the league MUST be top priority, in my opinion anyway.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Oh right for some reason I had it in my head it was Saturday, but either way ill miss it again if it's Sunday as ill be in Auschwitz but who knows come Sunday that could be more uplifting option if things go pear shaped again :pac

It feels like a defeat this morning.

Just can't help thinking were missing the best chance to win the league we will get for sometime.

Just a bad feeling about next season with players getting older, other teams improving, and us just stuck in dejavu season after season.

Plus have to wonder does Wenger want to sign if it's 9 years without a trophy, will he start doubting himself. I'd say he will wait to see how the season pans out before committing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »

Yes, it's Sunday, and I'm going to it! Hopefully they pull their socks up for it!

Watched the first half only last night, who was the better team in the second half?

Disappointed that we didn't get the three points, but as others have said, we are one point behind first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Where has this myth come from that if Podolski starts our defence will instantly capitulate?

I seem to recall him playing when we beat Liverpool 2-0 away last season. And his defensive work is more useful than Cazorla who attackers just breeze past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

(Not a troll honestly so seriously don't get knickers in a twist at this)

Just curious if any Arsenal fans would have liked a current form Adebayor back at the club. I know Giroud/Podolski aren't quite cutting it when you're going for the title and with Walcott injured aswell means striker wise it isn't too great.

Adebayor and Ozil might have worked quite well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement