Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Don't get this Giroud hate at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

I have only been posting on the Soccer Forum for the last year or so but have been following Arsenal almost 35 years.

Last night was a bit disappointing but you would think we lost again 5-1 the was some posters have carried on.
    We drew a game at home against last season champions (granted they are poor this year)
    Wenger started with an 11 that almost everybody here wanted.
    For me the key thing last night was not to lose.
    Chelsea drew their last game against West Brom and City drew their last game against Norwich.

I think Wenger was dead right to start the game cautiously as it could have gone horribly wrong if they had scored early.

Also in the last few mins if we are throwing men recklessly forward they have the players to get us on the break.
    Januzaj, Young, Rooney..... they are all bloody quick and Van Persie is no slouch.

We did create chances though and if Valencia wasnt on the line or Giroud had got his bloody toe on it or could heat straight we would all be happy. That didnt happen though and we are one point off the lead. Thats the big picture.

We are missing Walcott and Ramsey badly but we have three very winnable games now and hopefully will be back top after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Its a disappointing result. Cant complain too much, we probably didn't deserve to win.

We are lacking pace and runners in behind and its gonna cost us a league title this season no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

AdamD wrote: »
    Where has this myth come from that if Podolski starts our defence will instantly capitulate?

I seem to recall him playing when we beat Liverpool 2-0 away last season. And his defensive work is more useful than Cazorla who attackers just breeze past

Would you have him Over cazorla

I personally think he is pretty shiïte and won't be sad to see him go in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just to put last night in perspective.

We played the same two teams this week as mighty Fulham played and took the same number of points from them = 1.
    The only difference is that they scored 4 goals and we scored 1.
    They attacked and tried to win the games - we didn't.
    We were too careful and got punished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

We played the same two teams this week as mighty Fulham played and took the same number of points from them = 1.

We certainly weren't too careful against liverpool.

And I don't see how you can say the 11 we picked to start last night was a conservative line up. Wenger should have brought on more attacking subs alright but saying the starting lineup was set out for a draw is a bit revisionist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We certainly weren't too careful against liverpool.

And I don't see how you can say the 11 we picked to start last night was a conservative line up. Wenger should have brought on more attacking subs alright but saying the starting lineup was set out for a draw is a bit revisionist.

As soon as I saw the starting lineout I knew we were playing not to lose.
    Also we made one substitution, in the 75 th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Is that simply because we played Rosicky instead of Ox/Gnabry/Podolski? Because other than that I'm not sure we could have picked any more attacking options.

I dont get this though.
    Almost everyone who put starting line ups that they wanted had this.

Rosicky for Ox or possibly Jack
    Gibbs for Nacho.

I think he should have made at least one more sub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

AdamD wrote: »
    Where has this myth come from that if Podolski starts our defence will instantly capitulate?

I seem to recall him playing when we beat Liverpool 2-0 away last season. And his defensive work is more useful than Cazorla who attackers just breeze past

I'm too puzzled by this, people keep saying Santi chases back and Poldi doesn't. I think for me it's more an opposite have seen Poldi chasing back number of times, where as Cazorla is many a times slow to chase back and even though he has great ball retention skills, he can be knocked off easily.

Edit: I'm not against Santi, but for me Wenger should have brought on some fresh legs in the last quarter of the game. and as others pointed Poldi could've done that.

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »
    I have only been posting on the Soccer Forum for the last year or so but have been following Arsenal almost 35 years.

Last night was a bit disappointing but you would think we lost again 5-1 the was some posters have carried on.
    We drew a game at home against last season champions (granted they are poor this year)
    Wenger started with an 11 that almost everybody here wanted.
    For me the key thing last night was not to lose.
    Chelsea drew their last game against West Brom and City drew their last game against Norwich.

I think Wenger was dead right to start the game cautiously as it could have gone horribly wrong if they had scored early.

Also in the last few mins if we are throwing men recklessly forward they have the players to get us on the break.
    Januzaj, Young, Rooney..... they are all bloody quick and Van Persie is no slouch.

We did create chances though and if Valencia wasnt on the line or Giroud had got his bloody toe on it or could heat straight we would all be happy. That didnt happen though and we are one point off the lead. Thats the big picture.

We are missing Walcott and Ramsey badly but we have three very winnable games now and hopefully will be back top after them.

I agree that we shouldn't go gung-ho and push everybody up in the last few minutes but atleast they could have put some balls in the box instead of passing to each other and somebody lost it, lucky it was Cleverly who played it back to defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

gandalf wrote: »
    Giroud is a confidence player.

Absolutely hate that line. Was used last year in reference to Gervinho. It's just basically an excuse for a player not being good enough at the highest level.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Its a disappointing result. Cant complain too much, we probably didn't deserve to win.

We are lacking pace and runners in behind and its gonna cost us a league title this season no doubt.

The buck for that stops with wenger he new both Ramsey and Walcott were injured
    We had to buy in jan

I agree that we shouldn't go gung-ho and push everybody up in the last few minutes but atleast they could have put some balls in the box instead of passing to each other and somebody lost it, lucky it was Cleverly who played it back to defenders.

Yes thats true..... I have no idea what the hell happened there.
    That was really stupid and could have been costly.

efb wrote: »
    Don't get this Giroud hate at all

I don't hate him, but don't think he is a top striker. One thing I don't like about him is he tries to flick everything, he is a striker and the first instinct in a striker should be to shoot not try to flick the ball to somebody else. How many times have we seen him take a first time short.

I won't just blame him, our midfield never makes runs or effort for the 2nd ball either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The buck for that stops with wenger he new both Ramsey and Walcott were injured
    We had to buy in jan

Exactly, even a loan for a player with a bit of pace, doesn't have to be a world beater, just someone who can get behind defences, but we done nothing and now we can't buy a fecken goal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ironkiwi wrote: »
    Why would a part of you hope it blows up in Wengers face?

Sorry but I just think thats a strange comment because I think the majority of us here wouldn't dare wish it blowing in his face, we want success!

We all want success but as the saying goes fail to prepare, prepare to fail. Is the club seriously expected for Giroud to play every game now, league, CL and FA cup until the end of the season on his own? Is that a proper way to prepare for the run in where we were in such a great position?

Exactly, even a loan for a player with a bit of pace, doesn't have to be a world beater, just someone who can get behind defences, but we done nothing and now we can't buy a fecken goal.

Look at the goals both score we needed to somehow try replace that

But we signed an injured midfielder

Can't make sence of his thinking at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Has Giroud scored against a top team?

Can't think of any off the top of my head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I remember this time last year we were 19 points off top people were moaning

Fast forward 12 months were one point off top, people are still moaning

I guess some people will never be happy

If that's how your way of supporting our club fair enough

I rather look at the positives and get some enjoyment out of it

I think that is being unfair. What most fans want is effort and a performance matching the ability of the team and the drive of the manager. The last two games we were shown none of that. Last weekends result speaks for itself and the performance last night was very poor. If Arsenal lost the game but at least tried to win it, I would be a lot more forgiving. The performance last night was just terrible. Liverpool to come and then Munich…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

There are a few things that all us Arsenal fans need to realise - and I think most would agree with

1. Our squad isn't strong enough - or at least as strong in certain areas as we'd like
    2. Our failure to buy in January will probably hurt us this season
    3. The last 2 results were muck, plain and simple and not good enough for a team like Arsenal.
    4. We still love Arsenal, right?
    5. We have an outside chance of winning the league - better than what we thought pre-season but not favourites
    6. The last two results are probably amplified because they were back to back.
    7. The next 3 games (league) must result in 9 points
    8. Man Utd are Sh*t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Look at the goals both score we needed to somehow try replace that

But we signed an injured midfielder

Can't make sence of his thinking at all

I'm confused with your positive and negative attitude at the same time!

I'm confused with your positive and negative attitude at the same time!

It's not one or the other I can see were a point off and that's good going forward considering we're stuttering

I can also see we're not flawless and I can crictise too

jank wrote: »
    I think that is being unfair. What most fans want is effort and a performance matching the ability of the team and the drive of the manager. The last two games we were shown none of that. Last weekends result speaks for itself and the performance last night was very poor. If Arsenal lost the game but at least tried to win it, I would be a lot more forgiving. The performance last night was just terrible. Liverpool to come and then Munich…

Am I the only one that thought last nights performance was a typical arsenal performance

Tight first half created chances second half it's what we do all season

Thought the performance was grand

Am I the only one that thought last nights performance was a typical arsenal performance

I think you're in minority, for me United were there for taking if only we had upped ante a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I personally thought it was play safe and go for a draw result really like we did agaisn't Chelsea at home. It's a average performance, no desire or heart really.

I think you're in minority, for me United were there for taking if only we had upped ante a bit more.

Maybe we could have gone a bit harder

But we created 3/4 good chances second half that's enough to be winning these big games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That sort of stuff means absolutely nothing. Neither Utd or Liverpool thought Fulham would be competing, they're bottom, completely different mentality going into the game.

It's like saying we beat Spurs 2-0 and they beat Newcastle 4-0 so we should beat Newcastle 6-0, it doesn't work like that!

Maybe we could have gone a bit harder

But we created 3/4 good chances second half that's enough to be winning these big games

That's what other poster's are complaining, If we had put in a bit more effort we could've been top today. I thought come the second half we'll give it a real go, but nothing of those sorts happened. We had chances but we didn't put them under cosh for a sustained period.

As far as not taking chances, that's the exact reason I'm annoyed with Giroud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I just get the feeling we are going to lose Koscielny this summer if we dont win any silverware, he's coming to that age where he will be wanting away if he doesnt think we are capable of winning anything within the next few seasons. Yet again we are just one or two players short of really stamping our authority in English football (same the last few years) we really should of broke the bank in January and brought in a world class striker.

That's what other poster's are complaining, If we had put in a bit more effort we could've been top today. I thought come the second half we'll give it a real go, but nothing of those sorts happened. We had chances but we didn't put them under cosh for a sustained period.

As far as not taking chances, that's the exact reason I'm annoyed with Giroud.

I would be afraid we went gung-ho they would have picked us off they nearly did with rvp a header

We done enough and created enough second to win, just need that quailty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Thinking calmly about last night, I am still disappointed.
    I feel that it was very important for the team not to conceive a goal, because they probably thought it would be difficult to score twice.

My disappointment also is for the fact that Utd didn't seem to have a plan b. They played defensively, hoping they could get one in counter attack (which they almost did in one occasion).

On another note, I don't understand why Wenger didn't try more changes other than the predictable one he did. Last 10 minutes, it looked obvious to me that we would only score by chance, so it'd worth try something.

We miss Walcott and Ramsey. Do we know when Ramsey is back? (Although after such a long injury it might be a few games before he is back on top form).

Not worried at the moment about Liverpool and Spurs getting closer to us. Looking at the program, there are still quite a few big games and points will be lost all acroos the board. I might get a bit worried if we don't win the next 3 though. . .

I would be afraid we went gung-ho they would have picked us off they nearly did with rvp a header

We done enough and created enough second to win, just need that quailty

Even I'm against going gung-ho especially against United as that's how they picked us a part in the past. Just wanted a bit more from our players that's all.

Anyway it's done and dusted now, so I guess it's time to move on and hope they feckin play a bit more aggressively on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Irish Aris wrote: »

We miss Walcott and Ramsey. Do we know when Ramsey is back? (Although after such a long injury it might be a few games before he is back on top form)

Ramsey is out for another 4 weeks, perhaps closer to 3 sinc we are almost through this week thank f*ck.

Walcott is a huge huge loss. He is our Plan B. He has the pace to terrify teams plus his finishing can be very composed. terrfic player to have. but without him we have little pace in the midfield. so we look one dimensional imo.

Ya, I agree It was a typical Arsenal performance of the last few years against the big sides. The last few games have really showed how much we miss Walcott. Hes pivotal to the way we play, stretches the defences and provides great off the ball movement aswell as pace. The whole system seems to slow down without him. Ramseys energy aswell is majorly missed.

Tbh, I though we would win when the starting lineups were announced. I just though we would dominate the ball too much and expected Wilshere and Rosicky to provide more probing runs forward which just didnt happen. In hindsight, Ox or Podolski would have provided this option better.

Looking forward to the summer, a striker is clearly the most important position that has to be upgraded. As much as I like Giroud, Its clear as day hes not good enough to lead the line for us. Not enough pace or is no where near clinical enough in front of goal. Hes too easy to defend agaisnt imo, especially when there are no runners in behind.

The other major position I would upgrade is the deep lying midfielder. Chelsea look like they have signed a great player in Matic and I think Wenger should be looking for someone in that mould. Big, strong, athletic and can move the ball quickly and accurately.

Obviously this is hoping that Sagna signs a new contract and we dont lose any other players. Another wing forward would be great but I dont think its as big an issue as the two above.

• Advertisement

Looking ahead, team I think wenger picks for Sunday

Same back 5

Flamini/ ox
    Ganbry. Rosicky. Pod
    sanaogo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'm a big lover of our Lego Haired Spaniard but his legs are catching up with him sadly. Arteta is a key reason we got Champions League in the past two years and he has been one of our best signings ever in my opinion. But we have to look to replacing him in the summer.

I get the frustration in here about the summer and January. We did need to get a Walcott replacement in, and given the injury happened so early there was time to do that I feel so its a pretty criminal mistake. Griezmann could probably have been got I reckon, scored against Barcelona last night. But I do have sympathy with the club for how difficult it is to sign players in January but really we must starting getting our ducks in a row when it comes to transfers and have the barrel aimed and the gun cocked to fire when we need. If that means having 2/3 targets for every 'problem' position then that's what we need.

But lets take the positives; we've improved significantly from last year, we're one point off the top, the league is still in our hands and we're still in the big cup competitions. When have any team ever had the chance to exact tangible revenge in the way we have when Liverpool come to town this weekend? the players should be out to prove an almighty point on Sunday. It's all to play for yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

cson wrote: »
    I'm a big lover of our Lego Haired Spaniard but his legs are catching up with him sadly. Arteta is a key reason we got Champions League in the past two years and he has been one of our best signings ever in my opinion. But we have to look to replacing him in the summer.

I get the frustration in here about the summer and January. We did need to get a Walcott replacement in, and given the injury happened so early there was time to do that I feel so its a pretty criminal mistake. Griezmann could probably have been got I reckon, scored against Barcelona last night. But I do have sympathy with the club for how difficult it is to sign players in January but really we must starting getting our ducks in a row when it comes to transfers and have the barrel aimed and the gun cocked to fire when we need. If that means having 2/3 targets for every 'problem' position then that's what we need.

But lets take the positives; we've improved significantly from last year, we're one point off the top, the league is still in our hands and we're still in the big cup competitions. When have any team ever had the chance to exact tangible revenge in the way we have when Liverpool come to town this weekend? the players should be out to prove an almighty point on Sunday. It's all to play for yet!

Regarding transfers, we found ourselves in a similar position last January and no forward planning was made. This summer past should have been a very busy one, but it was another shambles. I dont trust this "transfer team" to get the job done, as they've done nothing to prove otherwise.

If we lose to Liverpool this week I fear that the wheel will come off. It will take a monumental effort to knock Bayern out of the Champions league and to get knocked out of 2 cups in 2 weeks aswell as our last 2 league results could well knock the confidence of this team. Its will be all too familiar really.

I am with you on this and posted it last night.
    Was probably the only one though.

To be honest if I was offered a half time score of nil all before the start I probably would have take it.

Was disappointed not to win it naturally but am happy we werent picked off like usual against them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

shano_88 wrote: »
    If we lose to Liverpool this week I fear that the wheel will come off. It will take a monumental effort to knock Bayern out of the Champions league and to get knocked out of 2 cups in 2 weeks aswell as our last 2 league results could well knock the confidence of this team. Its will be all too familiar really.

Yep, feel the same here. Need two big results in the next two games (2 wins essentially) or else we'll go to shite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So many Arsenal fans here seem to be chomping at the bit for us to drop out of contention so they can rehash all the 'mistakes' Wenger's made. All the obvious things they would have done differently, because after all we know best.

We're so so so far ahead of where we should be right now and no one gives a sh1t.

We're competing with teams that have spent half a billion on players in the last few years and no-one sees anything but the failure to not be clearly out ahead.

Poor form from a lot of Arsenal fans.

And before anyone gives me the 'oh so we can't question anything?' line. Of course you can but this thread is dominated by negative attitudes.

We are a fantastic football club run fantastically competing at the top level on our own resources dealing with serious injuries and still staying near the top.

Show a bit of appreciation along with the criticisims.

Yep, feel the same here. Need two big results in the next two games (2 wins essentially) or else we'll go to shite.

Against Liverpool and Munich

I'd rather win the next 3 league games

I honestly feel the Liverpool result is more important than the Bayern one. We will probably be second favs for the FA cup if we win aswell as some revenge for the hammering we took off them in the league. Everyone expects us to lose to Bayern anyway so I just hope the team play with no fear against them and really go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'd almost be happier if we lose at the weekend, the FA Cup is a distraction we could really do without. Would like to see:

Szcz
    Jenk
    Kosc----Verm*
    Monreal
    Arteta---Wilshere
    Gnabry
    Ox
    Podolski
    Bendtner

* Not sure if Verm is fit as I don't think we've actually been told why he has been missing recently, if he's not available then Mertesacker will have to play.

Would rest Rosicky, Ozil & Cazorla.

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd almost be happier if we lose at the weekend, the FA Cup is a distraction we could really do without. Would like to see:

Szcz
    Jenk
    Kosc----Verm*
    Monreal
    Arteta---Wilshere
    Gnabry
    Ox
    Podolski
    Bendtner

* Not sure if Verm is fit as I don't think we've actually been told why he has been missing recently, if he's not available then Mertesacker will have to play.

Would rest Rosicky, Ozil & Cazorla.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!

I want to win this game so badly.
    I want to win the FA CUP.

I want to win everything.

EVERYTHING!

Twice for good measure

gosplan wrote: »
    So many Arsenal fans here seem to be chomping at the bit for us to drop out of contention so they can rehash all the 'mistakes' Wenger's made. All the obvious things they would have done differently, because after all we know best.

We're so so so far ahead of where we should be right now and no one gives a sh1t.

We're competing with teams that have spent half a billion on players in the last few years and no-one sees anything but the failure to not be clearly out ahead.

Poor form from a lot of Arsenal fans.

And before anyone gives me the 'oh so we can't question anything?' line. Of course you can but this thread is dominated by negative attitudes.

We are a fantastic football club run fantastically competing at the top level on our own resources dealing with serious injuries and still staying near the top.

Show a bit of appreciation along with the criticisims.

I dont know if thats true, certainly not in my case. I have just seen this happen too often in the last few years and Im pessimistic about our chances in all 3 competitions. I dont think anyone can deny that we needed to strengthen in the attacking positions considering the news that Walcott was out for the season and Ramsey for at least another month. Who knows what went on in the back ground but the end result is that no one was brought in and its not good enough especially considering it could cost us a league title or a Fa cup.

No doubt there and there's nothing more I want to see than us winning trophies again under Wenger. Id hate to see the Club go the way of Man City or Chelsea. I mightnt like Liverpool or Man Utd but i at least respect the fact that they run within there means and haven't had some billionare throw bucket loads of money at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Have to agree I'd rather risk a hiding against Bayern and go for the jugular in the Cup. Nobody expects us to get past Bayern and it's admittedly unlikely, beat Liverpool and we'll be one of two top seeds left in the cup with a great chance along with the next couple of must win league games to keep the domestic season firing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement