Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Against Liverpool and Munich

I'd rather win the next 3 league games

I wouldn't be overly bothered if we are knocked out of CL. I don't think we are (for now) at the level to go all the way and win it.

But I want the FA cup. It is a title, t can only do good for the team moral, a sign that Arsenal is back at winning titles.
    And I think, regardless of the urgency of the League and the players we miss, we can handle BPL and FA Cup at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'd almost be happier if we lose at the weekend, the FA Cup is a distraction we could really do without. Would like to see:

Szcz
    Jenk
    Kosc----Verm*
    Monreal
    Arteta---Wilshere
    Gnabry
    Ox
    Podolski
    Bendtner

* Not sure if Verm is fit as I don't think we've actually been told why he has been missing recently, if he's not available then Mertesacker will have to play.

Would rest Rosicky, Ozil & Cazorla.

Get another beating from Liverpool..... no thanks. I don't think the FA Cup is a distraction because its not like we have 10 more rounds to go, win a few more matches and we win a cup! Easier said than done of course. Bayern in Champions League is more of a distraction as its midweek and we will have to travel over there and it could take a lot out of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

2ndcoming wrote: »
    That sort of stuff means absolutely nothing. Neither Utd or Liverpool thought Fulham would be competing, they're bottom, completely different mentality going into the game.

It's like saying we beat Spurs 2-0 and they beat Newcastle 4-0 so we should beat Newcastle 6-0, it doesn't work like that!

My post refers to the effort put into the games by both teams.
    One tried to win and one tried to contain.
    Fulham created far more chances against United than we did and they lead twice against Pool.
    Our performance against United was in my opinion all about saving the manager's blushes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Fulham created far more chances against United than we did and they lead twice against Pool.
    Our performance against United was in my opinion all about saving the manager's blushes.

I don't think these are directly comparable.
    Against Fulham, Utd was mostly on the attack, therefore more open spaces for Fulham to explore. Against us they were counting on counter-attacks, most of the time they were back defending, no spaces at all.

Not sure what you mean by "saving the manager's blushes". Judging from what you said after the match, I reckon you mean the conservative approach. Won't argue (although I think the chosen team wasn't bad), just thinking the scenario: us going all out for it and not succeeding and Utd heating on counter attack. . . This thread would have a complete meltdown. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I competely disagree with that

But that's your opinion, I was watching the same game but came away with a different outcome

That's why we love football I guess

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I don't think these are directly comparable.
    Against Fulham, Utd was mostly on the attack, therefore more open spaces for Fulham to explore. Against us they were counting on counter-attacks, most of the time they were back defending, no spaces at all.

Not sure what you mean by "saving the manager's blushes". Judging from what you said after the match, I reckon you mean the conservative approach. Won't argue (although I think the chosen team wasn't bad), just thinking the scenario: us going all out for it and not succeeding and Utd heating on counter attack. . . This thread would have a complete meltdown. . .

I have always said that I like attacking football where the team gives its all.
    Win, lose or draw i'm happy. Wenger always talks of Arsenal's "philosophy of trying to win every game".
    If we attacked and gave our all i'd would have been actually happy with a defeat and just said that we weren't good enough on the night.

We played for a draw last night.

You die with your boots on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gosplan wrote: »
    So many Arsenal fans here seem to be chomping at the bit for us to drop out of contention so they can rehash all the 'mistakes' Wenger's made. All the obvious things they would have done differently, because after all we know best.

We're so so so far ahead of where we should be right now and no one gives a sh1t.

We're competing with teams that have spent half a billion on players in the last few years and no-one sees anything but the failure to not be clearly out ahead.

Poor form from a lot of Arsenal fans.

And before anyone gives me the 'oh so we can't question anything?' line. Of course you can but this thread is dominated by negative attitudes.

We are a fantastic football club run fantastically competing at the top level on our own resources dealing with serious injuries and still staying near the top.

Show a bit of appreciation along with the criticisims.
    Agree with everything there but we are frustrated that yet again were 1 player short of winning a trophy this season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ronjo wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
    NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO!!!!!!!!!!

I want to win this game so badly.
    I want to win the FA CUP.

I'll be at the game on Sunday, so I'm desperate to win it!!

I'll also be at the game on Wednesday! I'm desperate to win that too!

And also desperate to win the league.

Guess I'm just desperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Agree with everything there but we are frustrated that yet again were 1 player short of winning a trophy this season.

We'll never know if we're only one player short. We could have signed a £40m striker and he could blow cold for a season. We'd be criticising other parts of the team then. That being said, I do think we need a world class £40m striker :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

dorgasm wrote: »
    We'll never know if we're only one player short. We could have signed a £40m striker and he could blow cold for a season. We'd be criticising other parts of the team then. That being said, I do think we need a world class £40m striker :p

Higuain was that player we should of got and are missing. A highly intellegent predator that giving half a chance in the box will punish you, hes the type of forward that terrifies the living daylights out of defenders, have watched him quite alot for Napoli this season and his movement is second to none, dragging defenders all over the place and creating space for others. 19 goals and 10 assists in 33 apps this season he has for Napoli.

As much as I like Giroud he doesnt put that fear into the oppositions defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Higuain was that player we should of got and are missing. A highly intellegent predator that giving half a chance in the box will punish you, hes the type of forward that terrifies the living daylights out of defenders, have watched him quite alot for Napoli this season and his movement is second to none, dragging defenders all over the place and creating space for others. 19 goals and 10 assists in 33 apps this season he has for Napoli.

As much as I like Giroud he doesnt put that fear into the oppositions defence.

Agree completely. I was absolutely gutted when he went to Napoli. Would have come at the right price too so it's a pity we didn't fork out. Like I said though, we'll never know if he would have hit the ground running and made a real impact this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sad thing is I think this season was our best chance to win the league in years and a lot said it before the season as well.

United are a shambles even more so than most thought but this summer they will spend.

Chelsea are lacking a CF and Mourinho is slowly building his own team so they to will be a stronger outfit next summer.

City are City they are a bit of an enigma brilliant one week shocking the next.

Liverpool also a team slowly building and as long they keep Suarez will improve again next season.

We came into this season as the form team with a settled manager and a good settled squad all we needed really was a top class CF we failed in the summer to get one, come January with Walcott out and Ramsey out we knew our goals were drying up as Giroud just can't cut the mustard yet we failed again to bring in someone anyone who could at least get us out of a hole

Now we all love Arsenal and support them no matter what but it's just so damn frustrating that if we do loose this title our best chance in years it will be because we fcuked up our transfers and failed to get the goalscorer we needed.

I know we miss Walcott and Ramsey because they make runs but kinda like how Ramsey helps and covers up Arteta's weaknesses them two were doing the exact same for Giroud really he is the one who should be making the runs, getting in good positions finishing the chances off imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I wouldnt call myself a doom merchant but this season was undoubtedly our best chance to win the league and if we lose out due to inactivity on transfers it will be a real pity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

haven't lost it yet.

The squad is the squad, like it or not, until the Summer.

Nothing left but to support the team no matter what and see what's what at the end of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Got to say that Giroud is very frustrating and I've been a big fan of his since he came. Not cutting it even remotely recently, even passing is off. I'd almost say that I'd want bendtner to get a decent chance to play up front if I wasn't so scared that he'd be a mess :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Sad thing is I think this season was our best chance to win the league in years and a lot said it before the season as well.

United are a shambles even more so than most thought but this summer they will spend.

Chelsea are lacking a CF and Mourinho is slowly building his own team so they to will be a stronger outfit next summer.

City are City they are a bit of an enigma brilliant one week shocking the next.

Liverpool also a team slowly building and as long they keep Suarez will improve again next season.

We came into this season as the form team with a settled manager and a good settled squad all we needed really was a top class CF we failed in the summer to get one, come January with Walcott out and Ramsey out we knew our goals were drying up as Giroud just can't cut the mustard yet we failed again to bring in someone anyone who could at least get us out of a hole

Now we all love Arsenal and support them no matter what but it's just so damn frustrating that if we do loose this title our best chance in years it will be because we fcuked up our transfers and failed to get the goalscorer we needed.

I know we miss Walcott and Ramsey because they make runs but kinda like how Ramsey helps and covers up Arteta's weaknesses them two were doing the exact same for Giroud really he is the one who should be making the runs, getting in good positions finishing the chances off imo.

whos to say that teh CF 40m striker we magically bought last summer would have hit the ground running or get injured like walcott?

my point is we cant blame our fails on a single missed signing. blame our failures on the players on the pitch. they have let the club down.

All us fans expect is them to try and make a good effort. Fine if we had lost to liverpool 5:1 due to 5 wonder goals that we could not do a single thing then fair enough, or if we played a epic match against united, with soo many attempts on tarket with amazing saves from the united GK to finish off the game scoreless then fine. But no!

That is not what happened.

we showed lack of effort, character and drive and that is unacceptable when you are earning big money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Well folks, only glanced through the thread briefly and I don't think being at the game gave much more of an insight only more frustrating.

From chatting to supporters there the common phrases are 'predictable, one dimensional and lack pace.' Again nothing we haven't been saying already.

I believe humility is important and I will say one thing, while I have been critical of Ozil he does not have a lot to work with. We do need that pace and threat in behind. Jeez we are bad to watch. It's so predictable now:

Sagna or Gibbs gets it. Kick ball at Giroud who will be running to front post.

Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky, Wilshere etc gets it. Play ball short to Giroud who has to come away from goal to get it:

A) Try fancy flick. B) Hold it up til we try part A) again. Repeat 100 times.

Because of lack of pace and five No. 10's there seems to be a gravitational pull about 25 yards from the opposition goal that sucks our players including Giroud into it. It's like the Bermuda triangle as the ball goes missing.

That said Giroud offers plenty. While people are right to be critical it should be acknowledged how much better he and the whole team are when Walcott is there as we can mix it up. So he is a great option if paired right.

I have to say I am pessimistic about our silverware chances because we will struggle to score regular. I wouldn't be at all pessimistic about the future of the team but think we will be short this year. I think we are in a race for the title no doubt but I believe we are also in a fight for 4th too whether we like it or not.

Finally United are really in trouble and I that's not trying to be controversial. The one thing I took out of last night watching them was the body language of Rooney and RVP. I don't know if Moyes can get them playing for him. They look bereft of belief, confidence and bar the last chance never put any fear in us like they are so capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't get the 'yet again' bit.

Unless you're saying 'boo, this is just like 08 when we had that totally different squad'

This is the first time this Arsenal team have competed.

We've been miles short of everything for years.

whos to say that teh CF 40m striker we magically bought last summer would have hit the ground running or get injured like walcott?

my point is we cant blame our fails on a single missed signing. blame our failures on the players on the pitch. they have let the club down.

All us fans expect is them to try and make a good effort. Fine if we had lost to liverpool 5:1 due to 5 wonder goals that we could not do a single thing then fair enough, or if we played a epic match against united, with soo many attempts on tarket with amazing saves from the united GK to finish off the game scoreless then fine. But no!

That is not what happened.

we showed lack of effort, character and drive and that is unacceptable when you are earning big money

I don't agree with that. I felt they showed plenty of that last night but just in a controlled manner. If the came out like they did against Liverpool and attacked with full backs high up the pitch we would have been caught again.

I thought the effort was there but with some understandable caution.

What summed it up for me was the crowd getting restless near the end when we kept possession in our own half. Everyone was roaring to get it up front. There was very little on unless we played a risky pass given United's good defensive organisation.

Then what happened? Under crowd pressure Wilshere loses the ball trying to do too much and RVP nearly destroys us. We can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I don't agree with that. I felt they showed plenty of that last night but just in a controlled manner. If the came out like they did against Liverpool and attacked with full backs high up the pitch we would have been caught again.

What summed it up for me was the crowd getting restless near the end when we kept possession in our own half. Everyone was roaring to get it up front. There was very little on unless we played a risky pass given United's good defensive organisation.

Then what happened? Under crowd pressure Wilshere loses the ball trying to do too much and RVP nearly destroys us. We can't have it both ways.

In fairness, there was one minute to go and Mert passed it to Kosc (x2) then to Areteta then back to Mert to Kosc. I can understand the crowd getting restless here. I was screaming for them to hit the ball long to Giroud and hope to get a flick on or lay off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Haven't posted here since before the Liverpool game.

Deflated obviously at first but in the cold light of day, we are one point off the leaders, have restored our defence to normal following a shock at Liverpool, just like the 0-0 at Chelsea after Manchester City.

You know everyone starts the season on the basis that if you win all your games you will win the league. Only ourselves, City and Chelsea can say that now.

Still a long way to go and while the team is looking tired, I think a win on Sunday could kick-start us again.

shano_88 wrote: »
    In fairness, there was one minute to go and Mert passed it to Kosc (x2) then to Areteta then back to Mert to Kosc. I can understand the crowd getting restless here. I was screaming for them to hit the ball long to Giroud and hope to get a flick on or lay off.

Ya I was too I won't lie. I guess they were sick of seeing Vidic gobble up 90% of the balls played up though too!

We had our point at that stage.

We had our point at that stage.

We nearly didnt when Wilshere lost it on the halfway line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Him and Arteta lost the ball good few times last night. We try our I pass to you - you pass to me silly passes and then under pressure loose the ball and get caught

I was feckin raging about that last night, couldn't believe that in the last minute at home with 0-0 we doing that.

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'll be at the game on Sunday, so I'm desperate to win it!!

I'll also be at the game on Wednesday! I'm desperate to win that too!

And also desperate to win the league.

Guess I'm just desperate.

Hope you have a great day and that we win but after last night i really can't see it.
    If you are not up for the big games like United at home then when are you up?
    Wenger's tactics for these games are poor as the records show.
    The players promised a response after the Liverpool game but we didn't get it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hope you have a great day and that we win but after last night i really can't see it.
    If you are not up for the big games like United at home then when are you up?
    Wenger's tactics for these games are poor as the records show.
    The players promised a response after the Liverpool game but we didn't get it.

I think we've played more with the brakes off in the cup tbh, the performance against Spurs is the only performance I would call "good" since before christmas. Hopefully there's a similar approach on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think we've played more with the brakes off in the cup tbh, the performance against Spurs is the only performance I would call "good" since before christmas. Hopefully there's a similar approach on Sunday.

Gnabry is going to tear Cissoko a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Theo was on fire that night, made a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3853/Stages/7794/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2013-2014

So this is the statistics of goals scored from set pieces. We are 3rd last.

This really is abysmal, and 3 of the top 4 teams are in the top 3 in the league.

Really good opportunities to score are been wasted, can't remember when we scored a free kick from outside the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wonder if we could have a negative free day on the thread where only positive stuff can be mentioned. Feeling weighed down with all the negativity around.

I'm afraid I'm not able to help much with the news that Santi is out of Friday's match. He's ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

greendom wrote: »
    Wonder if we could have a negative free day on the thread where only positive stuff can be mentioned. Feeling weighed down with all the negativity around.

I'm afraid I'm not able to help much with the news that Santi is out of Friday's match. He's ill.

We play Sunday

Flaminis back!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

We're closer to the top of the league than anyone could have imagined at the end of last season.

We are still in the FA Cup.

We are still in the Champions League.

Our goalkeeper and back 4 have been tremendous bar 2 away games that we won't mention.

We signed Ozil. We actually spent a lot of cash on him.

Ramsey has blossomed and is coming back soon.

Morning folks... with Flamini back and Wenger resting a few I would start with

...........Fab..........

jenk...Kos...Verm...Gibbs

....Flaminini...Rosicky...

gnabry...OX......Poldi....

........Bendy.......

with the like of adriano, Nacho, Zelalam,Arteta,Wilshre,Ozil, sanogo on the bench...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

...........Fab..........

........Bendy.......

with the like of adriano, Nacho, Zelalam,Arteta,Wilshre,Ozil, sanogo on the bench...

Who the hell is adriano?

Sorry my bad...It's Viviano, for some reason I had Adriano in my head... :D

Im pretty sure Vermaelen is injured aswell. Id probably go with a similar team. I think id start Ozil though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We really shouldn't be resting players in the competition we're most likely to break our trophy drought in

• Advertisement

It is not negative to point out faults and mistakes.
    It is negative to allow things to continue unabated.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

...........Fab..........

........Bendy.......

I think that team would find it hard against Liverpool.

I'd go with the back 5 from the Utd game, replace Arteta with Flamini and start Ox instead of Wilshere. Maybe give Poldolski a chance ahead of Rosicky

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I think that team would find it hard against Liverpool.

I'd go with the back 5 from the Utd game, replace Arteta with Flamini and start Ox instead of Wilshere. Maybe give Poldolski a chance ahead of Rosicky

Im guessing Podolski will be in ahead of Cazorla whos ill. Flamini for Arteta. Ox for Wilshere and Jenks for Sagna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Bendy boots is starting this weekend.

Herself vs kolo is going to be hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It is not negative to point out faults and mistakes.
    It is negative to allow things to continue unabated.

I don't mind negativity - far from it and I'm not averse to it at all. It's just that the thread is currently drowning in a sea of misery atm and it was becoming a chore to visit.

And I don't think Arsene or any of his team come to boards for any nuggets they can find to help with team selection or tactical expertise

I think Podolski is a shoe-in now with Santi ill and I would play Rosicky in the middle. for me he speeds up everything...

as some suggested we could go with this alternate line up..

.....................Fab....................

Jenko.......Mert......Kos.......Gibbs....

...................Flamster...................

OX.......Wilshre.......Rosicky.....Poldi.

..............Bendy............................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

What station is the game on?

I cant see it on BBC or ITV..... am I missing something?

Im guessing Podolski will be in ahead of Cazorla whos ill. Flamini for Arteta. Ox for Wilshere and Jenks for Sagna.

Jenkinson would be cannon fodder for those Liverpool attackers.
    Sagna was bad enough last Sat but Jenks would be worse for this game.

I think Podolski is a shoe-in now with Santi ill and I would play Rosicky in the middle. for me he speeds up everything...

as some suggested we could go with this alternate line up..

.....................Viviano....................

Jenko.......Mert......Kos.......Gibbs....

...................Flamster...................

OX.......Wilshre.......Rosicky.....Poldi.

..............Bendy............................

I would keep Szcz in goal and probably agree with the rest.
    Am always worried when Jenkinson plays but probably agree to start him there as long as no other messing with back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

ronjo wrote: »
    What station is the game on?

I cant see it on BBC or ITV..... am I missing something?

BT......again!

Raf32 wrote: »
    BT......again!

Aha, ok thanks Raf, so stream for me.

I usually get FA Cup on one of my local channels being on foreign soils but the Olympics is on instead.
    I was hoping then to watch on FilmON but BT wont be there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement