Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

bad2dabone wrote: »
    the fact is we could have 200m in the bank but if arsene considers a player overpriced he won't spend it. willing to offer 30m for drax, not willing to go 37m. Willing to offer 25m for higuain, not to go 33m.

Draxler has a release clause this summer for 37m. Why pay that in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Draxler has a release clause this summer for 37m. Why pay that in January?

this weeks top 5

in at number 5. give him time to bed in.
    first charting in early december and still hanging on in there at number 4. he might've come in useful this season.
    a new entry at number 3. So no one else gets him.
    down one place at number 2. So no one else gets him
    and up sixteen places this week after the financial results to number 1. So no one else gets him by the club would've know these figures well in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

HazDanz wrote: »
    Mourinho is a fcking psycho in truth if he believes his own rubbish. He contradicts himself and hyperbolises everything.

He's like a sh*tty eastenders character coming back for a second stint.

Haha he's Dirty Den. What a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

So with the money coming in every season we can now sign a world class player every single transfer window and still have change afterwards?

Will we though? Nah, Özil is the last top class we we buy. Unless we bag a bergkamp or Henry from somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

They should print out those sentences from Mourinho and paste them up on the Arsenal dressing room wall in a huge font. It is up to the players at the end of the day to go out and win something…. lots of motivation there now to give it a crack. If the players anyway at all respect Wenger then they will be raging with those comments. If Arsenal limp away in the next few weeks, then serious questions has to be asked about senior players and Wenger. This could be the catalyst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So with the money coming in every season we can now sign a world class player every single transfer window and still have change afterwards?

Will we though? Nah, Özil is the last top class we we buy. Unless we bag a bergkamp or Henry from somewhere.

I can't handle such positivity early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Meh, the Jose stuff is all paper talk. We know he's classless scum, I mean the man gouged another person's eye at a football match. That's fairly low.

Mourinho loves the English media who lap his garbage up, usually transparent crap like the recent stuff about not winning the league despite Chelsea possessing a squad that cost a bomb to build. As opposed to the Spanish media who never took to him while Barcelona whipped his arse into submission, ageing the lad about 10 years in 2 or 3. That was great to see.

Regardless, for me Wenger absolutely has to win something this season. Its criminal that we have Giroud as our only striker and I have doubts about Arsene'e ability to get over the line anymore. I cant see a better chance than this season with all the upheaval and lack of a really great stand-out side in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Santi101 wrote: »
    Meh, the Jose stuff is all paper talk. We know he's classless scum, I mean the man gouged another person's eye at a football match. That's fairly low.

Mourinho loves the English media who lap his garbage up, usually transparent crap like the recent stuff about not winning the league despite Chelsea possessing a squad that cost a bomb to build. As opposed to the Spanish media who never took to him while Barcelona whipped his arse into submission, ageing the lad about 10 years in 2 or 3. That was great to see.

Regardless, for me Wenger absolutely has to win something this season. Its criminal that we have Giroud as our only striker and I have doubts about Arsene'e ability to get over the line anymore. I cant see a better chance than this season with all the upheaval and lack of a really great stand-out side in England.

I don't think he has to win something tbh. The team needs more players and experience competing at the top level.

This season was very much the first year of the new Arsenal IMO. The Emirates is finally becoming a fortress. We've a good squad and are going to sign a top class striker whenever we find one.

Trophies will come. Yeah it'll be a pisser if it's not this year but they'll come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

gosplan wrote: »
    I don't think he has to win something tbh. The team needs more players and experience competing at the top level.

This season was very much the first year of the new Arsenal IMO. The Emirates is finally becoming a fortress. We've a good squad and are going to sign a top class striker whenever we find one.

Trophies will come. Yeah it'll be a pisser if it's not this year but they'll come.

Completly agree. It's a transition year and we are doing great to be even in with a shout for titles. One striker for a season was always going to be a losing situation so fair play to the team for still being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Completly agree. It's a transition year and we are doing great to be even in with a shout for titles. One striker for a season was always going to be a losing situation so fair play to the team for still being there.

Another transition year??
    How many transition years will he get to win something?

This is like watching Lost with the waiting for something to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

gosplan wrote: »

I think this is a fair comment. It is the first year we are realistically competing in terms of finance, settled squad, etc. There might not be a trophy this season but I think there is an expectation in the next two seasons that we will deliver.

What do you mean another? This is the first real transition year. This is the first year in which we have gone from simply having to fight to stay involved, to actually challenging. The last six or seven seasons were simply about maintaining our position in the top four so we could challenge in due time. This is the first season where we have had a realistic shot of challenging for the title and so far we have done exactly that. If we are no closer this time next year, then questions will need to be asked but as of now, Wenger has done an amazing job in keeping us competitive while operating on a shoestring in terms of transfers and having to sell our best players year after year.

I challenge you to find another club who underwent as much financial pressure as we have and still remained there or thereabouts. 99% of cases, without a billionaire owner, results in one or the other. We did both.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Your posts are getting harder and harder to read every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

It pains me now that it's nearly 9 years since we have won silverware! I mean NINE years! When you think about it it's really depressing!!! :(

What do you mean another? This is the first real transition year. This is the first year in which we have gone from simply having to fight to stay involved, to actually challenging. The last six or seven seasons were simply about maintaining our position in the top four so we could challenge in due time. This is the first season where we have had a realistic shot of challenging for the title and so far we have done exactly that. If we are no closer this time next year, then questions will need to be asked but as of now, Wenger has done an amazing job in keeping us competitive while operating on a shoestring in terms of transfers and having to sell our best players year after year.

I challenge you to find another club who underwent as much financial pressure as we have and still remained there or thereabouts. 99% of cases, without a billionaire owner, results in one or the other. We did both.

Financial pressure?
    We are feckin loaded.
    The finances are always put before the team.

Your posts are getting harder and harder to read every day

I thought it was quite easy to read myself.

Financial pressure?
    We are feckin loaded.
    The finances are always put before the team.

Because of how tight we have been over the last ten years. We needed to be tight in order to ensure we could challenge when the time was right. I.E. the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I thought it was quite easy to read myself.

Moan moan moan moan moan moan moan

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thought last year was more of a transition year tbh. RVP gone, a good few new players to settle in, only scraped 4th. I would call what united are going through a transition year.

I think the squad is much too settled now to be calling this a transition year, not to mention how well they've done. The only short comings imo are a lack of variety in our play mainly due to the injuries to Theo and Ramsey (and reluctance to utilise Pod and Gnabry more maybe) as well as a decent alternative to Giroud up front.

The transition year thing has been trotted out for years now and I genuinely think this is the first time since maybe 08 that there isn't really an element of truth to it.

• Advertisement

Because of how tight we have been over the last ten years. We needed to be tight in order to ensure we could challenge when the time was right. I.E. the present.

But we also needed to provide cover in the team and even with the money we failed to do so. (except for one crock that we got for free).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think the financial planning has been largely exaggerated by the club. From looking at their situation a bit I see absolutely no reason why we couldn't have spent 40m in the summer of 2012, instead of breaking even and scraping over the line for top 4.

The club have been ultra-conservative rather than prudent and almost paid the price over the last 2 seasons. In theory the transfer budget should be ~70m per season now, but I seriously doubt that'll happen.

You can call me negative or whatever but its a point that needed to be addressed. This might have been the season they earmarked for big transfers but it could have easily been done a year or two ago. I also fail to see how losing 1 first teamer and adding 2 is a transition year. Not that I expect them to win the league this year, its probably too big an ask, but I'd love to see them focus on the FA cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Thought last year was more of a transition year tbh. RVP gone, a good few new players to settle in, only scraped 4th. I would call what united are going through a transition year.

I think the squad is much too settled now to be calling this a transition year, not to mention how well they've done. The only short comings imo are a lack of variety in our play mainly due to the injuries to Theo and Ramsey (and reluctance to utilise Pod and Gnabry more maybe) as well as a decent alternative to Giroud up front.

The transition year thing has been trotted out for years now and I genuinely think this is the first time since maybe 08 that there isn't really an element of truth to it.

I think the point being made is that this is the 1st year we are competing.

I agree the transition is over. But this is the 1st year we are competing and we are competing well. I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't win a trophy in the 1st year.

I think the point being made is that this is the 1st year we are competing.

I agree the transition is over. But this is the 1st year we are competing and we are competing well. I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't win a trophy in the 1st year.

I was of the opinion that we were competing every year. We have led the league many times over the last 9 years. I never heard Wenger or anyone else say "we are only here for the craic" either. We have been told very often over the years that we have had money to spend but we didn't bother spending it.

I was of the opinion that we were competing every year. We have led the league many times over the last 9 years. I never heard Wenger or anyone else say "we are only here for the craic" either. We have been told very often over the years that we have had money to spend but we didn't bother spending it.

Are you seriously suggesting that you think we had more than a very slim chance of winning the league in recent years? We were rank outsiders for a reason. It's only now that we are able to compete again.

What kind of manager would come out and say his side has no chance of winning? An incredibly bad one is the answer.

Are you seriously suggesting that you think we had more than a very slim chance of winning the league in recent years? We were rank outsiders for a reason. It's only now that we are able to compete again.

What kind of manager would come out and say his side has no chance of winning? An incredibly bad one is the answer.

Maybe but what kind of manager would have a pot of 70 million as we were often told and rarely use it even though we all knew there were gaping holes to be filled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Maybe but what kind of manager would have a pot of 70 million as we were often told and rarely use it even though we all knew there were gaping holes to be filled?

There are two elements in this.
    1."as we were often told". Not sure whether this is 100% true or PR/music to the fans ears by the board
    2.I think it is rather clear by now that Wenger is not the kind of manager that will break the bank every time. If the board knows that they can afford a 100m+ budget in the summer, maybe they should consider a new coach, cause it's not very likely that Arsene will go bananas buying players. And, just to clarify, I am not in favor of replacing Wenger.

I hope I am completely wrong on the above and, come summertime, we do have a big budget and Arsene goes bananas in the transfer market!!

As always as fans we don't have a clue exactly what the financial situation for the last number of years has been. It's been very tight it seems. I don't know where the funds needed to be pumped into from year to year but the club seem to know and it wasn't for players.

This year the club has basically said we are competing for the big signatures again, ready to focus on spending money and then we land Ozil. That's a change in tone/attitude and that's why this year is a transition year.

Before it was always chopping and selling players, now it is buy in and extend the squad.

This summer will show we mean business and I won't be surprised if we splash some cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Anyone know what this Kallstrom chap is likely to bring to our disposal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭ronjo

Off topic but wonderful commentary from Stuart Pearce on talksport Cardiff v Wigan

"They need to bring the crowd to the party to lift the players to lift the crowd"

Genius!

Anyone know what this Kallstrom chap is likely to bring to our disposal?

A bad back claim and an Abu Dhabi holiday brochure.

• Advertisement

Could have done with having the Liverpool game today

Bayern just won 4-0 and barely broke a sweat! Schweinsteiger came back as a second half substitute! Hope Flamini can help to break up their midfield play!

DenMan wrote: »
    Bayern just won 4-0 and barely broke a sweat! Schweinsteiger came back as a second half substitute! Hope Flamini can help to break up their midfield play!

Do we have a hope in hell of beating them?

I guess anything can happen but they seem even better this year than last.

ronjo wrote: »
    Do we have a hope in hell of beating them?

I guess anything can happen but they seem even better this year than last.

There's always a chance! We need to be very careful next week and try and not concede an away goal! The German winter break was great for them. Now they look even stronger and relaxed!

As long as we give it a lash and don't get beat by +4 goals I'll be happy.

It'll be nice to watch a match with no expectations at all.

So which do we prefer today?

A draw so there is a replay or City to batter them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So which do we prefer today?

A draw so there is a replay or City to batter them?

Draw best result for me.

TN3270_sebastien_squillaci.png

This gee bag still winds me up

TN3270_sebastien_squillaci.png

This gee bag still winds me up

Seriously ? He's long gone. Why ?

Since the gloves are off Jose, a few hamstring and groin injuries would ve nice.

Childish I know but if it were possible I want to win the league more now.

• Advertisement

How is Cahill playing today. If he'd been an Arsenal player he'd have been out for 3 weeks after the injury he picked up on Tuesday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Glad we didnt get jovetic so overrated!

Some people's opinions after he played 2 games for city.

greendom wrote: »
    How is Cahill playing today. If he'd been an Arsenal player he'd have been out for 3 weeks after the injury he picked up on Tuesday!

They covered his wounds in 50 pound notes. It's better than horse placenta supposedly.

You have had that post waiting for a while haven't you?

They covered his wounds in 50 pound notes. It's better than horse placenta supposedly.

Makes you wonder if any of their medical team have any connections with the TDF !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

You have had that post waiting for a while haven't you?

Not really just thought of it when he scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Glad we didn't because hes a complete crock.

AdamD wrote: »
    Glad we didn't because hes a complete crock.

He has looked pretty good tonight. Citys cash means they can carry him though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

DenMan wrote: »
    It pains me now that it's nearly 9 years since we have won silverware! I mean NINE years! When you think about it it's really depressing!!! :(

Try being a Newcastle fan, son.

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Try being a Newcastle fan, son.

Fair point.. but putting son at the end? Ffs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement