Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ronjo wrote: »
    With Rosicky not starting yesterday also and say he is certain to come in.

I didnt see the game unfortunately but were Ox/Pod so good that Wenger might change his mind?

Ox more so than Pod, but one of them needs to start at least imo. The team look devoid of ideas going forward without them. They bring a directness to our play the others lack.

I expect Ox/Ozil/Santi to start behind Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think we should play Chamberlain on Wed.
    I have been saying for awhile now that we were not getting behind teams and making them face their own goal.
    That always creates chances and Chamberlain did just that for our second goal yesterday.
    The first time we scored a goal like that since Walcott got injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think we should play Chamberlain on Wed.
    I have been saying for awhile now that we were not getting behind teams and making them face their own goal.
    That always creates chances and Chamberlain did just that for our second goal yesterday.
    The first time we scored a goal like that since Walcott got injured.

Liverpool picked up 2 yellows from chopping him down on the break too, would have likely lead to goal scoring chances. Hes really hitting form now, most of us thought this would be his big year so its nice to see that it might still happen despite the injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Agreed Ox must play on Wednesday - he's the only fit player we have with true pace, who can worry and stretch defences. He's clever too, and chances are he willl make the most of any chances given. Getting back to match fitness after 5 months out, I think he's only going to get better too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Chamberlain must start on Wed night, not only will he be a threat going forward but he will also be a huge asset in defending against the threat of Bayerns full backs bombing forward especially Lahm. Would love to see Gnabry start also, I think this lad is going to be a real star and can really hurt Bayern with his runs in behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭ronjo

So Jack or Rosicky in the middle??

I think it must be Jack to keep possession.

I think Jack myself. He will be really fired up for this game and wont be bullied off the ball. Rosicky is a great asset to have coming off the bench for the last 25 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I'd go Rosicky he sets a great tempo, Jack has been off the boil a bit maybe he is carrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'd go Rosicky he sets a great tempo, Jack has been off the boil a bit maybe he is carrying

He's been playing with Arteta, which for me doesn't work. He's much better alongside Flamini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I really don't get why everyone has turned against Wilshere lately. He's been very good for the last while, although probably correct to say he doesn't work best with Arteta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

He has been poor the last few matches. Giving the ball away needlessly

I really don't get why everyone has turned against Wilshere lately. He's been very good for the last while, although probably correct to say he doesn't work best with Arteta.

I don't think people have turned on him , he just had a couple of poor games that's all. With the midfield options we have there is no one who is a guaranteed starter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Saying people are turning against him is a bit harsh

He is out of form and prob deserves to be dropped that happens every player at some stage of the season

He's been playing with Arteta, which for me doesn't work. He's much better alongside Flamini.

Quite possibly

Wilshere will definitely start on Wednesday night, that rest yesterday would of done him the world of good and he will be chomping at the bit for Bayern, Im expecting a big performance from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Wilshere is definetly starting in CM. Him and Flamini work very well together.

This is the team I would start
    Woj
    Sagna Mert Kos Gibbs
    Flamini Wilshere
    Ox Ozil Cazorla
    Giroud

I really think Rosicky will start instead of Ox though. Keeping a clean sheet is so crucial aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Wilshere has a bad game against Liverpool and suddenly he is 'out of form'.

He had a brilliant January. Along with our January player of the month Cazorla he was by far our most inspiring and consistent performer.

We badly missed him against Southampton when we drew 2-2. Had no link play that day.

Bad against Liverpool and so so against United and now he is almost viewed as a liability. Madness.

Same for Cazorla. Has been very good since Christmas and apparently he isnt on form either despite his goals and assists and general good play as our best attacking threat

I dont know what people expect at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

He had a brilliant January. Along with our January player of the month Cazorla he was by far our most inspiring and consistent performer.

We badly missed him against Southampton when we drew 2-2. Had no link play that day.

Bad against Liverpool and so so against United and now he is almost viewed as a liability. Madness.

Same for Cazorla. Has been very good since Christmas and apparently he isnt on form either despite his goals and assists and general good play as our best attacking threat

I'm a Wilshere fan and I agree with what you are saying but he was very poor this past week.

If he starts against Bayern and gives the ball away as cheaply as he did in those games we will be murdered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭lertsnim

HazDanz wrote: »
    I'm a Wilshere fan and I agree with what you are saying but he was very poor this past week.

If he starts against Bayern and gives the ball away as cheaply as he did in those games we will be murdered.

I think he will play much better with Flamini beside him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I've watched Bayern a lot this season and on the break there lethal!
    If we start Wilshere beside Arteta we're probably gonna struggle.

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Arteta is suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Hes suspended.

Anyone who has watched Bayern lately care to have a guess at their most likely line up?

shano_88 wrote: »
    Hes suspended.

Anyone who has watched Bayern lately care to have a guess at their most likely line up?

I'd say something like this.

936308_Champions_League_Team.jpg

xn6gir.png

That was there most recent game. They are still unbeaten in the league this year too.

Nobody has come close at all to calling him a liability. His last two games were poor that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Dante and Boateng are their weaklings at the back, If we turn up and play to our potential I'm sure we can give them a good game.

Dante and Boateng are their weaklings at the back, If we turn up and play to our potential I'm sure we can give them a good game.

I wouldn't call Dante and Boateng *weaklings* myself. Personally I think attacking the right flank would be our best bet. When Robben is still up top there's a good chance of a counter attack.

OK weaklings may be a bit strong, but they both are shaky players and under pressure they easily succumb to mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nah, weaklings is good.

Big Germanic treble-winning unbeaten weaklings.

• Advertisement

Everyone sure Giroud will play? Will his head be in the game?

Back 4
    Flamster Rosicky
    Oxo Ozil Cazorla/Pod
    Sanogo?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Everyone sure Giroud will play? Will his head be in the game?

Back 4
    Flamster Rosicky
    Oxo Ozil Cazorla/Pod
    Sanogo?!

No way I'd throw Sanogo out there against Bayern, he's nowhere near ready for that kind of game yet. Although I'd have him at first sub ahead of Bendtner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭Chris The Hacker

Haven't heard him do anything stupid recently, he might have grown up and if anyone can tame him, it's Wenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Who's this? I can only assume it's a autocorrect thing but can't figure it out!

[edit] Higuain? Doubt we'd get anywhere with that

Sorry fuzzy only seen this now, ha yeah meant higuan.

That ship has probably sailed alright. Interesting about balotelli, I'm sure Wenger wouldn't take a chance if he thought he might act up.

Not much choice of top class strikers around, could be worth the gamble.

Raf32 wrote: »

I really like Balotelli and he's not far off the sort of striker we need, but definitely not worth near 40m for all his baggage as you say.

• Advertisement

It'd be a gamble, but one I wouldn't mind taking. I'm not sure how else we'd get someone of his quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Same as. Like him from a far but I really can't see him being controversy free. His antics for City against us the year we beat them at the Emirates when they eventually won the League shows you can't depend on him in a pressure situation.

Only thing is I would take him if we can't do better and I really think we will struggle to get a top top striker in the summer.

Would love if we went back for Higuain but not realistic I guess.

Would take Balotelli in a heartbeat!
    Great player and if anyone could calm him down it'd be Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'd be very happy with Balotelli. He's a top class player, and he'd be our main man so I'd say there's less risk of him acting up.

He was very good at the confederations cup last summer. If Wenger thinks he can manage him, then I'll trust him on that.

Alternately, Mandzukic might want out of Bayern with Lewandowski arriving, would be an excellent option, and less risky.

I don't give much about antics, look at Suarez everybody was giving out about him, Liverpool stood with him and he is rewarding them where it matters.

but is Balotteli worth that much? That's the only question for me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Tbh we'd definitely get him for a lot less than that if we were actually interested. Don't think his goal record is actually that great when you take away pens though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

balotelli has great talent, not so great mentality. but i'd defo take him. without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭ronjo

I'd be very happy with Balotelli. He's a top class player, and he'd be our main man so I'd say there's less risk of him acting up.

He was very good at the confederations cup last summer. If Wenger thinks he can manage him, then I'll trust him on that.

Alternately, Mandzukic might want out of Bayern with Lewandowski arriving, would be an excellent option, and less risky.

Mandzukic would be a good option I reckon also.
    Himself and Draxler would be a decent pair of signings... Realistic too.

Mandzuckic is a bit too similar to Giroud for my liking, we need a pacey centre forward somebody in the Di Natale mould.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Mandzuckic is a bit too similar to Giroud for my liking, we need a pacey centre forward somebody in the Di Natale mould.

Having someone similar to Giroud isn't a bad thing imo. Giroud's problems are that he's just too slow and isn't clinical enough.

Mandžukić is the perfect mix of strength and speed. Id rather him over Balotelli.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I really like Balotelli and he's not far off the sort of striker we need, but definitely not worth near 40m for all his baggage as you say.

Not picking on you personally but that's what a lot of people said when we were linked to Suarez.

Probably more justifiable in this case though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I like the idea of balotelli.

He's exactly the type of striker we need. There's huge risk but given he's still only 23, there's a huge upside as well.

If we can't find a top level striker in the summer, then it'd be an obvious punt to take.

No way would he cost 40 million. He's leaving another club early and they only paid 20 for him.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not picking on you personally but that's what a lot of people said when we were linked to Suarez.

Probably more justifiable in this case though.

Yeah that's a good point but he's also not as good as him, yet anyway. I'd definitely take him for like 25m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I dont think Balotelli is that big of a risk. He is proven in England and seems to have calmed down a lot in recent years. Even when he was still a trouble maker it was usually off the pitch rather than on it.

A little old fashioned, perhaps but depicting a thing of beauty...

Bgp7xyeIIAAorcP.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement