Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

efb wrote: »
    My seat

Even from that top, it's a good view of the whole pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Even from that top, it's a good view of the whole pitch.

I know €104

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I wont fault any Arsenal player for their performance on that field tonight. They gave everything and believe me im not giving up on this tie.

The criticism of players is ridiculous considering we went down to ten men early enough.

So ozil has been playing brilliantly these past 3 games?

djPSB wrote: »
    Berbatov used to accrue similar stats for United.

There's no point jogging around just for the sake of it, it has to be done with purpose.

There's was times when he had the chance to close Bayern players down last night and instead of sprinting he strolled towards them.

exactly. stats dont show how many attempted blocks or tackes or passes/players he beat tells you so dont wave around teh distance he had covered because all it tells us is he loves jogging around.

He was completely useless all last night.

One of our worse players.

everytime Ox got the ball he took on players and looked like a threat. Ozil diddnt

How can anyone defend this guy is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So ozil has been playing brilliantly these past 3 games?

You're polarising it a bit.

Can he not be in between brilliant and rubbish?

I think he's fcuked right now and needs to stop playing 180 mins per week.

He also needs some structure and continuity in front of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

exactly. stats dont show how many attempted blocks or tackes or passes/players he beat tells you so dont wave around teh distance he had covered because all it tells us is he loves jogging around.

He was completely useless all last night.

One of our worse players.

everytime Ox got the ball he took on players and looked like a threat. Ozil diddnt

How can anyone defend this guy is beyond me.

Wenger did say Ox was carrying a niggle at half time.
    We were down to one sub at that stage so it could have gone even more wrong if.
    1) Ozil went off and Ox had to also shortly after.
    2) Ozil went off and Ox stayed on aggravating the injury leading to further time on the treatment table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I think I'm over the disappointment of last nite, yep there were a few poor performances but overall we did very well and I think the team should be commended for it, I'm sure a lot of us would have been raving about the whole team, had that 2nd goal not got in.

I think it's time to move on and support the boys whether it is Chesny or Ozil.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

On a more positive note:

PertinentAbsoluteIndianglassfish.gif

Kid has serious potential, a real handful. I expect Giroud to start against Sunderland though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

AdamD wrote: »
    On a more positive note:

PertinentAbsoluteIndianglassfish.gif

Kid has serious potential, a real handful. I expect Giroud to start against Sunderland though.

Yep, Sanogo seems to be a prospect. Strikes me as a very intelligent footballer, just lacking some finesse and the decision making that comes with experience. Not afraid to get stuck in either which is good. If he can improve technically and put on some bulk he has the look of a Drogba type.

gosplan wrote: »
    You're polarising it a bit.

Can he not be in between brilliant and rubbish?

I think he's fcuked right now and needs to stop playing 180 mins per week.

He also needs some structure and continuity in front of him.

im not. i think you are giving Ozil too much respect.

Their was no inbetween. he had a poor game not an average ok game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ox is really pushing on this year, great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm relieved that Ox is putting up some top performances, good replacement for Walcott just when need that oomph and pace to our game.

I'm excited for the weekend, hopefully we can get this steam enginge sped up, final destination-Premier league baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

As regards Mesut; as I said in the match thread he strikes me as mentally fragile as prodigiously talented as he is. I think he's feeling the pressure of people looking to him to be our talisman due to his price tag. You can say he should be too after what we paid but the guy is still a human being and experiences the same emotions we do. He's not a machine. The more I think about it the more I'm uncomfortable with the public rebukes he's got off Mertesacker and Flamini. The guy seems to be very much a confidence player who would respond better to an arm around the shoulder rather than the bollockings he's getting. He needs stronger characters and better players around him to thrive.

I think if you saw a front 4 for us with better players around Mesut, he'd shine. a fit Walcott, maybe a Draxler and a better striker than Giroud and you'd see a completely different player - he wouldn't be under the same pressure to perform.

These guys get paid astronomical amounts of money; but tell me another job where every minute of your job is analysed, every mistake no matter how small critiqued, you ship abuse from fans, from the press - the mental toughness you'd need to play at the highest level is huge.

I'm relieved that Ox is putting up some top performances, good replacement for Walcott just when need that oomph and pace to our game.

I'm excited for the weekend, hopefully we can get this steam enginge sped up, final destination-Premier league baby.

Welcome to boards Dunphy. Didnt realise you were a gooner? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

im not. i think you are giving Ozil too much respect.

Their was no inbetween. he had a poor game not an average ok game.

Yeah but your retort is 'oh so you think he was brilliant'.

I don't think anyone is saying that.

Your opinion is totally valid and could be the right one.

I do think that stuff is conspiring against him. We're ignoring the side of the game he's good at and exposing his weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I think because Suarez publicly stated he wanted to join us they are still a bit sore.

Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Source?

suarez.jpg

Raf32 wrote: »
    suarez.jpg

misleading headline shocker or did he actually say that in the interview?

You got a link to the piece?

I'm being genuine here btw, I just don't remember him ever saying "I want to sign for Arsenal."

Do we want to go down this conversation path again?

It could bring them in their droves...

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »

I ain't looking to drag this back up but I just wanted to see the interview where Suarez said "I want to sign for Arsenal."

I am probably wrong here and I have no problem admitting that but I just don't remember him saying that at all throughout the saga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post:

As posted in the Liverpool thread, I do not want to see any cross thread baiting.

Genuine discussion and banter is fine, but anyone trying to wind up people from other threads or trying to bait will be getting carded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Ere has Sanogo had a shot on target yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Very poor penalty from ozil to be fair didnt he miss one before this year too?
    To be honest id put ozil on the bench for a few weeks let him rest get his head together.
    Maybe we dont suit hhim the premiership doesnt suit him or he has personal problems but he is performing under par and you can argue hes human give him a chance all u want but this is Football at the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Does the one that hit Gerrard before Ox scored count? Probably not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yeah he had one yesterday, and I'm not sure if blocked shots count but if so, the assist for Ox against Liverpool.

• Advertisement

I ain't looking to drag this back up but I just wanted to see the interview where Suarez said "I want to sign for Arsenal."

I am probably wrong here and I have no problem admitting that but I just don't remember him saying that at all throughout the saga.

Thats fair enough. I dont remember him saying it either.
    Its just not a big discussion I would like to have on boards today when it will just sink to petty jibes (which I will admit to doing too).

Nearly scored last night just before the peno. Neuer made a great save from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I think the lads for the most part did themselves proud last night. The game turned against them in the sending off and the Gibbs injury and you can't have those kind of things go against you against a team like that.

Ozil's pen was disappointing, he clearly shouldn't be taking another one, but I think criticism of him here is harsh. Monreal watched Robben run right by him for their pen, and what Flamini was doing for the two goals I'll never know. If you're gonna give Ozil grief for not winning us the game surely the players who are supposed to keep them out deserve to be told when they've f**ked up.

I'd criticize Kos for doing a Vermaelen for the second one but in my book it's against the law to criticize Kos so he gets a pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I feel Ozil is been made a scapegoat by many, he isn't the type of player that will always be involved for 90 minutes, but when he does get involved with the right players around him he will be deadly, that left peg of his is one of the best I have ever seen he could put the ball on the head of a needle. Feel sorry for the lad.

Thats fair enough. I dont remember him saying it either.
    Its just not a big discussion I would like to take him the board today when it will just sink to petty jibes (which I will admit to doing too).

Fair enough, I just read that article linked to the image just posted and it seemed to me that he was reaching out again to Madrid.

I am not saying he didn't want to sign for you as I think he would've if the chance came but I was just asking the poster to back up his claim that Suarez publicly said he wanted to join Arsenal, as I don't remember him ever saying it.

Anyway we shall move on.

Regarding the FA Cup 1/4 finals, I hope you bounce off The Ev.

They are much more hated than you lot. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

2-0 is what I'd have expected. What I didn't expect was for Arsenal to make a real go of it when it was 11 v 11. Bayern or Barca are the last teams you'd want to go a man down against, with all the possession they have it will completely wear the team out going into the closing stages of the game. Arsenal actually defended pretty well and Bayern didn't have a huge number of clear cut chances, although I think they were well worth their 2-0 win. Kos was a bit stupid to go running up the pitch in the closing stages that lead to the second goal.

That red card/penalty rule needs to change too, I've been saying it for years. When somebody is blatantly hacked down from behind when through in on goal then fair enough it makes sense. But there are plenty of situations like last night where the defender/goalkeeper needs to make an attempt to get the ball, and if they get it wrong it's a red card and penalty. Szczesny couldn't just sit on his line waiting for Robben to score, he had to come for it. As for denying a goal scoring opportunity, a penalty is a pretty good goal scoring opportunity in my book. Given the angle and the fact Robben knocked the ball away from goal you could probably argue that the resulting penalty was actually a better goal scoring opportunity than the one that was deined. For non cynical fouls inside the box it's just far too harsh a punishment. I wouldn't expect this to change anytime soon though given how FIFA are usually completely unwilling to admit they've got something wrong.

Ozil should never be let near a penalty again, I was worried when he stepped up. Surely Cazorla would have been a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I hope somebody in the club goes out and buys a load of Mirror newspapers and wallpapers our dressing room with that "failure" headline :mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Loving the way the ox has emerged only 20 too only gonna get better and better

All our top performers this year are young and will only improve

I'm genuinely excited about the next few years at this club

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I hope somebody in the club goes out and buys a load of Mirror newspapers and wallpapers our dressing room with that "failure" headline :mad::mad:

Sure Wenger issues fines for bringing papers into the dressing room/training ground :)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

He's actually missed the ball when swinging for it on at least 4 occasions already in the last 2 matches.

Lets hope Giroud sorts his head out. And lets hope Arsene spends big on a striker during the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Sure Wenger issues fines for bringing papers into the dressing room/training ground :)

The big dog will have some job collecting all those fines!

There isnt really much to talk about.

Should be a handy enough 2 or 3 nil home win and then move on to Saturday.

Bayern were at home last night werent they?

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Loving the way the ox has emerged only 20 too only gonna get better and better

All our top performers this year are young and will only improve

I'm genuinely excited about the next few years at this club

Do you worry about losing them like has happened in the past?

No, because we have cash now.... Loads of it.
    And a brand spanking new stadium
    And we are only one point off the top of the league
    And we are in quarterfinals of FA Cup
    And we are still in Champions League although just about.

So NO, thanks for asking.

No more, I imagine, than fans of most other clubs worry about losing up and coming young players.

• Advertisement

No, because we have cash now.... Loads of it.
    And a brand spanking new stadium
    And we are only one point off the top of the league
    And we are in quarterfinals of FA Cup
    And we are still in Champions League although just about.

So NO, thanks for asking.

Jesus Christ, it was a simple question. What is your problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Why should we be? Are you worried about losing Raheem Sterling?

In fact, why are you even here throwing random comments about?

Jesus Christ, it was a simple question. What is your problem?

Absolutely no problem at all.
    I am over last night.
    Kids will stay with their grandparents tonight.
    On a promise with the mrs ;)

So all is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Offensively, we're short a top class pacey striker and missing the injured duo of Walcott and Ramsey which severly restricts the options for the abundance of creative players.
    Defensively, Cazola and Ozil offer very little and are a liability when under pressure, so basically defending without those two plus striker. To compound this, if we win the ball back we lack the dynamic players to take the ball up the field excepting the Ox.
    So,the key to the future in my opinion is finding the correct balance to the team. Not the eleven best players or as many number 10's as possible.
    The difference between success and failure is very small at this level.
    The confidence one trophy would bring may lead to another glorious chapter in the history of the club.

Why should we be? Are you worried about losing Raheem Sterling?

In fact, why are you even here throwing random comments about?

It's a discussion forum isn't it?

Mod post: There is a very clear mod warning in this thread, in fact it is only 26 posts back and is referenced in the thread title.

Two yellows have now been given out. More will follow if people don't cop on with their baiting and telling people where they can or cannot post.

Offensively, we're short a top class pacey striker and missing the injured duo of Walcott and Ramsey which severly restricts the options for the abundance of creative players.
    Defensively, Cazola and Ozil offer very little and are a liability when under pressure, so basically defending without those two plus striker. To compound this, if we win the ball back we lack the dynamic players to take the ball up the field excepting the Ox.
    So,the key to the future in my opinion is finding the correct balance to the team. Not the eleven best players or as many number 10's as possible.
    The difference between success and failure is very small at this level.
    The confidence one trophy would bring may lead to another glorious chapter in the history of the club.

Yes Walcott and Ramsey offer creativity and goals but both in different ways and both different to the likes of Ozil, Cazorla, Rosicky and Jack.
    Hopefully Ramsey will be back sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Sanogo looks better than Giroud (in his current form) so I would not be against seeing more of Sanogo, think Giroud has been poor for a number of weeks.

TheGunns wrote: »
    Sanogo looks better than Giroud (in his current form) so I would not be against seeing more of Sanogo, think Giroud has been poor for a number of weeks.

I think I would bring back Giroud at the weekend for a couple of reasons.

1. tough for Sanogo to play 3 games in a week when just breaking into the team and after injury.
    2. Assuming Girouds head is alright maybe a few games on the bench has made him realise he is not always guaranteed a start and will spur him on.

• Advertisement

So are genuine questions based on past history not allowed on here? I had no interest in an argument or anything like that and didn't mean to get any knickers in a twist. I'll leave this thread now for fear of upsetting the regulars with questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement