Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My predictions for the summer:

Viviano stays as backup gk
    We buy a RB for < 10m if Sagna goes, no RB if he stays.
    Possibly a young CB, definitely if Verm goes.
    We get a left winger, Draxler maybe. With Gnabry a year older he becomes Walcott's backup.
    Ox begins to play in the CM more, no new CM signings. (A Dm is justifiable but we've so many options there really and eventually Ox/Ramsey/Wilshere have to be capable of playing without Flamini or Arteta.
    We sign a striker, with either the striker or the left winger (Draxler) being the big money move.
    Podolski to leave, maybe Vermaelen too.

So 2/3 first team signings I'd guess. Leaving the following

GKs: Woj, Viviano, Martinez
    RBs: Sagna (Jung), Jenkinson, Bellerin.
    CBs: Mertesacker, Koscienly, Vermaelen, Young CB.
    LBs: Gibbs, Monreal.
    CMs: Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta, Flamini, Ox, Zelalem.
    LWs: Cazorla, New LW, Ox.
    RWs: Walcott, Gnabry, Ox.
    Strikers: New St, Giroud, Sanogo.

Don't think there will be, or needs to be as many signings as some are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

2nd Goalkeeper

Seamus Coleman
    Winston Reid
    Another centre half

Lars Bender

Pedro/Kevin Mirrallis

Top Striker with pace a la Cavani.

That's all I want.:o

I'm sure we'll see some of our youngsters more next season.

Bellerin - right back
    Hayden - DM
    Gnabry/Eisfeld - RW
    Zelalam - CM
    Sanogo - CF

So we won't be seeing 5-6 signings probably 1 or 2 max 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I don't think anyone wants to get on Ozil's back but equally some posters on here are hyper sensitive to any justified criticisms people have too. I have posted the below before and it is relevant:

We’re allowed to criticise Mesut Ozil…
    Sometimes it feels as if we’re so eager for our record signing to do well that anything approaching criticism of his performance is deemed a kind of blasphemy. Equally, the tiniest contribution is hailed as a game-changer.

I don't think anyone should slate him or judge him too early but people are entitled to point out some things that frustrate them and can back it up.

I saw him in the flesh against Man United and I could see how much he needs more pace around him. I thought he played well enough lately actually. I don't think he was horrific last night as maybe some have said. Hopefully he gets a rest now and comes back firing again soon with Ramsey, Ox and Sanogo to give him more options.

There is no harm in some criticism but there is on unfair criticism that the huge difference he got slated after Liverpool were there not more **** players on the pitch with him that day? He got slated last night for being lazy but when that was disproven and shown he covered more ground than any Bayern player people then tried to move the goalposts to suit there argument shove more criticism his way.

Some of it has been ridiculous to be honest, Ramsey got the same treatment by a lot of so called fans as well. If we do sign Draxler and pay a huge fee you just know the same so called fans will be all over his back if he dares to take anytime to adjust or perform, how much pressure and criticism did Walcott recieve as well from his own fans until recently.

A lot of fans are a to quick to judge and to harsh on there judgement of players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Loads of people match his definition of 'world class'.

When I read this first
    paulegend wrote:
    world class players are players that in 20 years time you think back and say "oh f#ck, do you remember when (enter players name) did (enter really out of this world moment here)"

I thought of this...

I mean, that fits perfectly.

What doesn't fit though is if in 20 years time you think back and say something like 'fcuk, do you remember when (Xavi Hernandez) did (quietly run the Barca midfield, retain possession and control games for about a decade)

So this definition is totally at odds with the bit where you say that world class is about consistency and longevity.

Then that in turn is contradicted by the idea that Messi and Ronaldo were 'world class' very quickly.

So really none of it holds together.

The truth is that 'world class' is just a stupid pundit way of saying 'outstanding' and as such it's open to interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

There is no harm in some criticism but there is on unfair criticism that the huge difference he got slated after Liverpool were there not more **** players on the pitch with him that day? He got slated last night for being lazy but when that was disproven and shown he covered more ground than any Bayern player people then tried to move the goalposts to suit there argument shove more criticism his way.

Some of it has been ridiculous to be honest, Ramsey got the same treatment by a lot of so called fans as well. If we do sign Draxler and pay a huge fee you just know the same so called fans will be all over his back if he dares to take anytime to adjust or perform, how much pressure and criticism did Walcott recieve as well from his own fans until recently.

A lot of fans are a to quick to judge and to harsh on there judgement of players.

Exactly that's one thing I learned from the Ramsey situation.

I was too quick to write him off and it was unfair.

That's why I think Ozil needs more time to be judged. I won't be so quick to judge in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

I certainly agree with all that Marty and anyone writing him off is crazy. I too expect him to be much improved next year given that he will be much more used of the League and should also have more to work with. I just feel that he should not be immune from criticism at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,483 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wasnt aware we were not allowed call players on areas they need to improve just because they are big names. Henry was often called on his habit of drifting out wide. Didnt do him any harm.

Be positive FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Following Soldado's shocking miss this evening, do we expect to see headlines and articles tomorrow on how big a waste of money he is or is that just reserved for Ozil?

Can I just add to the Oxil debate that the players that most hit the ground running were Arshavin & Reyes but they never really adapted, did they?

The truth is that none of us have an insight to it but I'd hope that Ozil is going through an adaptive period rather than think we've bought a poor player or one who can't cut it in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Just to be clear, I'm delighted to have Özil in the team as are many others. But that doesnt change the fact that he isnt much use when we are stuck on the defense for most of the match. In the second half against Bayern we apparently had 12% possession. Özil is useless in that situation because he isnt that type of player and it showed. We needed someone who is more capable of doing the defensive work in situations like that. Thats why he is getting so much criticism. He had a job to do and he wasnt up to it.

• Advertisement

I certainly agree with all that Marty and anyone writing him off is crazy. I too expect him to be much improved next year given that he will be much more used of the League and should also have more to work with. I just feel that he should not be immune from criticism at times.

I have no problem with people criticizing a player but I do have a problem when a lot of people including our own fans criticize a player wrongly like last night or like they did when he was singled out against Liverpool despite the fact pretty much every Arsenal player on the pitch was woeful.

Yes some of his performances haven't reached the heights we would like but I have faith they will and until it does there is no reason for the media or our own fans to go into over drive anytime he sends a wayward pass or looks a bit lost out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Just to be clear, I'm delighted to have Özil in the team as are many others. But that doesnt change the fact that he isnt much use when we are stuck on the defense for most of the match. In the second half against Bayern we apparently had 12% possession. Özil is useless in that situation because he isnt that type of player and it showed. We needed someone who is more capable of doing the defensive work in situations like that. Thats why he is getting so much criticism. He had a job to do and he wasnt up to it.

But if your saying he isn't that type of player then surely the fault was Arsenes

You don't ask a butcher to do a surgeons job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Soups123 wrote: »
    But if your saying he isn't that type of player then surely the fault was Arsenes

You don't ask a butcher to do a surgeons job

Özil should have come off instead of Cazorla in my mind.

He looks very lost and depressed at the moment.

It could spiral very quickly. He needs the fans support mote than ever now.

Just reading no one at bayern knows why Wenger didn't shake Peps hand.

Is this true?

Yet somehow he wasn't at fault for either of the goals but other players were but get off scott free from the criticism ;).

Now that's not a criticism of on any of the players last night they had to work there ass of but just an example of the narrow minded single minded unfair criticism Ozil has come in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Özil should have come off instead of Cazorla in my mind.

In fairness neither are ideal in a backs to the wall situation but at 0-0 Wenger maybe thought Ozil could work a moment if magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Good spot. I seen him in the offside position but didnt see the block. Just seen he wasnt involved with the ball so paid no more attention to it.

You cant really blame the official for not seeing that either. He was rightly focused on the ball. Linesman might have not been able to see it either.

If only there was an official closer. Maybe somewhere like just beside the goals where they can see it all.

Why doesn't Wenger like Podolski? It's nearly like the IT Crowd gag. 1.Did you see that Ludicrous display last night (still applies) 2. Change 'whats Wenger doing bringing Walcott on that early?' to why doesn't Wenger bring Podolski on? 3. Thing bout Arsenal is they always try walk it in (still applies)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He looks very lost and depressed at the moment.

It could spiral very quickly. He needs the fans support mote than ever now.

Just reading no one at bayern knows why Wenger didn't shake Peps hand.

Is this true?

Or maybe Pepe didn't shake Arsene's hand ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

When is Ramsey back for you lads/ladies?

Is the drop is Ozil's form in anyway tied into Ramsey being out injured?

From the bits I seen of you earlier in the season they seemed to have a great chemistry so maybe it's just taking Ozil time to gel with the other players?

Plus the fact that you have such a strong set of midfield players that perhaps the chopping and changing of starters is affecting him also?

Just an observation/question, probably way off though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

When is Ramsey back for you lads/ladies?

Is the drop is Ozil's form in anyway tied into Ramsey being out injured?

From the bits I seen of you earlier in the season they seemed to have a great chemistry so maybe it's just taking Ozil time to gel with the other players?

Plus the fact that you have such a strong set of midfield players that perhaps the chopping and changing of starters is affecting him also?

Just an observation/question, probably way off though!!

Probably not that much way off.
    Not just Ramsey, any player with a decent pace complements Özil's abilities. Ramsey is one such player this year. Walcott is the obvious one, and I still feel we miss him dearly. Ox would fit this category as well, Gnabry to a certain extend, and I would put Podolski in this category. Sanogo too, more than Giroud (although his overall level is not as high-or at least as tested as Giroud's).
    With many teams playing quite defensively against Arsenal, I think it's worth for Arsene to try something different, shake things up a bit. With Mesut (preferably) or without him. But think more about the opposition we have against us and put in the most suited players.
    I can't wait for Ramsey to come back, it's almost sure he will give a breather to Mesut's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Come on Mesut.

Some of ous still have alot of faith of you.

I don't know what people expected of him.

Abuse he is getting is ridiculous.

He's like Hleb with a bit more of a goal threat.Zidane used to get the same abuse in his early Juve days.

Anyone that has watched him over the years, can't be worried about his current form.

He's not Ronaldo or Bale, he's not going to get the ball at the half way and leave defenders for dead.

We are a good team, but attacking talent wise, we are pretty ordinary.

In the current squad only Theo possesses the attacking talent to create a goal out of nothing with skill/pace, he is still not consistent at it.

Years ago we had Thierry, Pires, Freddie, RVP, Reyes who all had the talent and skill to take the game to someone.

We have no one now besides Theo now that can do it.

Ozil was playing with the likes of Ronaldo, Kaka, Di Maria, Benzema, Higuain, all match winners.

It's unreal stuff that Arsene has ous 2nd in the league.

City, Chelsea, even Liverpool are miles better than ous attacking wise.

Put Ozil with Suarez and Sturidge and he would be devastating, we won't even talk about City.

If Arsene doesn't bring at least 2 brillant attacking players we are in trouble.

Giroud isn't worth a carrot, same with Bender, Sanogo is just a kid.

We need idea's and below man has them.

I really love podolski.

What a man. Looking after mesut at the moment.

Pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ozil is having a bad time at the moment, and a lot of people think that he has lost what he had at Real, and they're right... kinda.

What he had at Real was someone who was moving into space in front of him, someone who could finish what he started, someone who would move and make space for him to work with. He had Ronaldo. What he has with us is Giroud. Giroud is a player who drops deep, when we need an outlet, a player who comes running out of the area towards you when you are on a promising counter attack instead of trying to find space, and give you an option.

I really don't know what has happened to Giroud. He used to be good at making this darting runs to the front post, where he'd get his beautiful head on a cross and score from a well placed header. Now he seems to want to play as a 6th midfielder he drops back that far at times. I all for an attacker who offers something when defending, but not if it means he offers very little when attacking. For me, Giroud has really regressed, and that is what has been having an effect on the whole team.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Ozil is having a bad time at the moment, and a lot of people think that he has lost what he had at Real, and they're right... kinda.

What he had at Real was someone who was moving into space in front of him, someone who could finish what he started, someone who would move and make space for him to work with. He had Ronaldo. What he has with us is Giroud. Giroud is a player who drops deep, when we need an outlet, a player who comes running out of the area towards you when you are on a promising counter attack instead of trying to find space, and give you an option.

I really don't know what has happened to Giroud. He used to be good at making this darting runs to the front post, where he'd get his beautiful head on a cross and score from a well placed header. Now he seems to want to play as a 6th midfielder he drops back that far at times. I all for an attacker who offers something when defending, but not if it means he offers very little when attacking. For me, Giroud has really regressed, and that is what has been having an effect on the whole team.

Theos injury really messed us up.

I actually believe Theo could be the pacey striker were missing and think we should be looking for in the summer.

But his injuries, so frustrating.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

I think nearly all those balls came from Walcott or Pod.

No-one's getting in an advanced wide position these days. Maybe Sagna gives the odd delivery but Giroud has nothing else to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I changed my mind I want ozil to start on Saturday I want the fans to get behind him and let him play

Theos injury really messed us up.

I actually believe Theo could be the pacey striker were missing and think we should be looking for in the summer.

But his injuries, so frustrating.

Such a shame that Theo missed so much of the season and a shame that he wasn't out at the very beginning of the season as I'm sure Remy would have been brought in. His pace and finishing would have made Theo's loss much easier to bear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

I changed my mind I want ozil to start on Saturday I want the fans to get behind him and let him play

This was going through my mind too when I saw all the discussion about him.

Just dont let him near a penalty if we get one :)

Read an interesting point about Ozil and his time at Madrid.

He would get subbed a lot at around the 70 minute mark, which everyone is aware of.

But was it to keep him fresh? He clearly is exhausted, I know as a footballer there should be no excuses about playing for 90 minutes.

Just seems he isn't used to this much playing time.

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »
    This was going through my mind too when I saw all the discussion about him.

Just dont let him near a penalty if we get one :)

Ozil has stated that he wants to keep taking them. Fair play to him. Good attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

haha, Wenger
    Wenger: "You have to let Ozil recover. I had examples- Bergkamp in '99, he didn't want to take 1 after. incidentally he gets a statue today"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Some info from the press conference.

Gibbs is definitely out tomorrow.
    Giroud will play some part, resting him was part of a refreshment plan.
    Arsene thinks the players are mentally okay with losing to Bayern because they know they put in a good display

gosplan wrote: »
    I think nearly all those balls came from Walcott or Pod.

No-one's getting in an advanced wide position these days. Maybe Sagna gives the odd delivery but Giroud has nothing else to go on.

Giroud's goal in the ill fated Villa game came from an Ox cross. More of that tomorrow please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Well thats a lie 'resting him as part of a refreshment plan' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

cson wrote: »
    Well thats a lie 'resting him as part of a refreshment plan' :pac:

I guess its better than "I dropped him because he is a dirty whore who cant keep it zipped up.................. just like my jacket"

Posters need to forget Ozil's display and get behind the team.
    The lad will come good.
    When I look back on Wed's performance and the playing of Sanogo I think Wenger would prefer we go for the league than the CL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

schzney
    Sagna Mert Kos Monreal
    Wilshere Arteta
    Ox Cazorla Podolski
    Giroud

My guess at a team for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Very much doubt Ozil will be dropped.

Didnt Wenger hint at resting Ozil in his press conference this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

shano_88 wrote: »
    Didnt Wenger hint at resting Ozil in his press conference this morning?

Yep we need to let him recover he said

Posters need to forget Ozil's display and get behind the team.
    The lad will come good.
    When I look back on Wed's performance and the playing of Sanogo I think Wenger would prefer we go for the league than the CL.

Yet we played some of our best football this season during that first 20 minutes.

Think I read somewhere (maybe even Arsene said it) that he's the only midfielder who's played in all of our last 4 matches

greendom wrote: »
    Yet we played some of our best football this season during that first 20 minutes.

Yes the team did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Box seat in the bag for the Everton cup tie. A chance to see how the other half live.

I hope all the champagne we're quaffing and gourmet nibbling doesn't take too much from the matchday experience.

LOL.

Recommendations for a pub near the Emirates to watch the Chelsea-Everton match tomorrow?

Im going to go to the Statue unveiling of Denis Bergkamp so want somewhere close enough.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Recommendations for a pub near the Emirates to watch the Chelsea-Everton match tomorrow?

Im going to go to the Statue unveiling of Denis Bergkamp so want somewhere close enough.

Rocket.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

What chances do folks give Everton of nabbing a result tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Mickeroo wrote: »

I can see them getting a draw.
    It all depends on how Mourinho sets Chelsea up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Mickeroo wrote: »

After what Liverpool did to Everton I can only see one result tomorrow. Easy win for Chelsea. Hope I'm wrong though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement