Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

For the first time all season, MOTD gave Arsenal some decent credit. They singled Giroud out for special praise as well.

Gonna have to watch it now, watch the stream earlier, sky match choice at 8 and now MOTD from my sky planner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

For the first time all season, MOTD gave Arsenal some decent credit. They singled Giroud out for special praise as well.

They singled out his poor record against sides in the top 6 though. Hansen was keen to point to the 2 heavy defeats at the Ethiad and Anfield as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

greendom wrote: »
    They singled out his poor record against sides in the top 6 though. Hansen was keen to point to the 2 heavy defeats at the Ethiad and Anfield as well.

It is MOTD. Babysteps. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Anybody know what time MOTD goes up on the iplayer? Missed it and too impatient to wait until the repeat tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Next game is the "BIG ONE" now. Away to Stoke who are playing well. Many sides struggle to get points from them, even City at home yesterday.

Any word on our injured players and when Ramsey is back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Next game is the "BIG ONE" now. Away to Stoke who are playing well. Many sides struggle to get points from them, even City at home yesterday.

Any word on our injured players and when Ramsey is back?

Think it is around the Munich return leg. Hopefully he has a couple of run outs before Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I want sagna to stay the same way I want arteta to stay as good experienced squad players

I think both positions should be looked at in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I want sagna to stay the same way I want arteta to stay as good experienced squad players

I think both positions should be looked at in the summer

I do like Arteta, prefer Flamini in that role but if we look at one more there surely one of them would have to go no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I do like Arteta, prefer Flamini in that role but if we look at one more there surely one of them would have to go no?

Well we did have to sign kalstorm? No harm keeping both for the season while the new signing gets up to speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Well we did have to sign kalstorm? No harm keeping both for the season while the new signing gets up to speed

Very true plus I suppose Arteta could be used as a backup for a more advanced role as we know he is capable of playing in a more advanced role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Very true plus I suppose Arteta could be used as a backup for a more advanced role as we know he is capable of playing in a more advanced role.

Flamini can also cover in defense. They'd easily get enough playing time.

I like Arteta but he does give the ball away a lot.
    Flamini is better defensively I'd say.
    We need both as we suffer a lot of injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Spuds are looking fierce ****e today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Arteta is brilliant against teams like Sunderland who don't press him. Struggles against teams who press aggressively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

spuds lol

BhLU9gbIYAImKD3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

yess 4:1 and all because ozil wasnt playing :)

Ozil needs a reality check and needs to step up. Bench him or dont tell him to bother for the next 1-2 games as we dont need him and he needs time to recover and get his **** together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Raf32 wrote: »
    spuds lol

BhLU9gbIYAImKD3.jpg

They never had wheels to begin with...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

yess 4:1 and all because ozil wasnt playing :)

Ozil needs a reality check and needs to step up. Bench him or dont tell him to bother for the next 1-2 games as we dont need him and he needs time to recover and get his **** together

You're joking right?

Anyway nice to have a 9 point cushion over 4th in case things go tits up during our tough run in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Yup think top 4 is secure now, always the first aim in fairness now look at title and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

AdamD wrote: »
    You're joking right?

Anyway nice to have a 9 point cushion over 4th in case things go tits up during our tough run in March.

yes i am partialy joking. missing him wasnt why we won but he at the same time wasnt missed which is my point.

he needs to be dropped for 3-4 games for him to get his act together and show he can turn up against the top top teams and show his world class ability because right now he is not

• Advertisement

yes i am partialy joking. missing him wasnt why we won but he at the same time wasnt missed which is my point.

he needs to be dropped for 3-4 games for him to get his act together and show he can turn up against the top top teams and show his world class ability because right now he is not

Thats a bit excessive. I wouldnt start him against Stoke, they'll just try kick lumps out of him but I'd put him back in for Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lol we won that match yesterday 4 - 1 because Sunderland only decided to play in the second half not because Ozil wasn't there. We'll only see the best from Ozil when we have some real pace beside him and in front of him. At the moment its like having one of the best drivers in the world driving a F1 car with a Lada engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gandalf wrote: »
    Lol we won that match yesterday 4 - 1 because Sunderland only decided to play in the second half not because Ozil wasn't there. We'll only see the best from Ozil when we have some real pace beside him and in front of him. At the moment its like having one of the best drivers in the world driving a F1 car with a Lada engine.

Personally I think there was two factors that contributed to why we won the game.

1. Sunderland just didn't turn up. If it was nerves before next weekend, some players unable to handle the pressure when given a last chance to impress, etc I'm not sure why, but they didn't turn up, and they really shot themselves in the foot.

2. Giroud played as a striker. For the first time in quiet some time, Giroud stayed ahead of our midfield and was a genuine outlet for them. All too often in the past, he has dropped back to collect the ball and this has been bad for us, because when he gets it, we have nowhere to go only back, from an already deep position. This is fine, when we have 2/3 midfielders willing to bomb down the flanks and give him an outlet, but the chances of that happening are slim. He stayed up front yesterday, and got two goals from it. In the second half he started to drop back and became much less effective. This wasn't the sole reason, but was definitely a contributing factor.

gandalf wrote: »
    Surely an F1 driver would get more out of the Lada engine than a lesser driver ? Hate the knocking of Giroud as an excuse for Ozil's recent poor form.

Surely an F1 driver would get more out of the Lada engine than a lesser driver ? Hate the knocking of Giroud as an excuse for Ozil's recent poor firm

He's not knocking Giroud I believe.
    He's saying that Ozil's through balls suit someone with pace, like Walcott or Ox.
    Giroud is not the pacy type.

He's not knocking Giroud I believe.
    He's saying that Ozil's through balls suit someone with pace, like Walcott or Ox.
    Giroud is not the pacy type.

Yes I do get that. But surely a top no 10 (or driver) should be able to adapt his game to those around him ?

The 2 of them seemed to be forming a good understanding earlier in the season and hopefully that can work again when Ozil comes back. The break certainly seems to have done Giroud good.

Maybe this goes back to Quazzie's point about Giroud coming too deep recently ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Yes I do get that. But surely a top no 10 (or driver) should be able to adapt his game to those around him ?

Well I think Ozil has been. But if you want to see him shine you need runners in front of him.
    Thats why he worked so well with Ramsey.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Well I think Ozil has been. But if you want to see him shine you need runners in front of him.
    Thats why he worked so well with Ramsey.

I think Ozil's best game so far for Arsenal was the home Napoli tie. Giroud and he played brilliantly together that evening . And of course Ramsey is missed. The whole team is missing him, not just Ozil.

The 2 of them seemed to be forming a good understanding earlier in the season and hopefully that can work again when Ozil comes back. The break certainly seems to have done Giroud good.

Maybe this goes back to Quazzie's point about Giroud coming too deep recently ?

Unless there is someone making a run in behind Giroud then Ozil has nobody to play a killer ball to.
    Look at the lovely ball he played to Ox on the right wing last week.
    He needs runners. We are too static.

Unless there is someone making a run in behind Giroud then Ozil has nobody to play a killer ball to.
    Look at the lovely ball he played to Ox on the right wing last week.
    He needs runners. We are too static.
    Yes we've been lacking pace recently. But that's affected Giroud as much as Ozil. I don't see anyone giving Giroud a free pass

• Advertisement

Yes we've been lacking pace recently. But that's affected Giroud as much as Ozil. I don't see anyone giving Giroud a free pass

Giroud is one of my favourite players but he needs a different kind of service.
    Someone getting to the end-line and putting balls across to him is what he needs. He doesn't get that kind of service particularly since Walcott got injured.
    Even lacking that he is great at hold-up play and one twos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Surely an F1 driver would get more out of the Lada engine than a lesser driver ? Hate the knocking of Giroud as an excuse for Ozil's recent poor form.

Jaysus not knocking Giroud at all, what I am saying is we need pace to get the most out of Ozil. Giroud is a great asset to the team with his hold up play and combined with Ramsey and Ozil can create a shed load of goals for runners.

If Walcott hadn't of gotten injured then we probably would be praising Ozil at this stage of the season for his mountain of assists.

We need more pace in the team to get the best out of Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I ****ing hate Match Of The Day.

Bunch of bitter, cynical tabloid ****wads.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    I ****ing hate Match Of The Day.

Bunch of bitter, cynical tabloid ****wads.

What they say now?

Personally I think we are overly sensitive of what a few pundits and rags think of us. I don't see why we need their validation.

Furthermore unless we win this League Title most will be vindicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭G1032

Rosicky has agreed a deal to keep him at the club according to Arseblog.
    Great news I think. Class player. It's such a pity he has had so many injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Great news about Rosicky signing a new deal!

Not sure if it's been mentioned much either here or elsewhere, but after the goal he ran to one of the ball boys behind the goal and sort of celebrated with him. As soon as half time whistle went he ran down to that end of the pitch and gave the same ballboy his match jersey, legend! :) I've no idea what connection he had to the ballboy but it was an incredibly sound thing to do.

Szcz also gave his jersey to someone behind the same goal at the final whistle (couldn't see exactly from the upper tier). Serious credit to the BFG for spending about 10 mins applauding fans after the game as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Giroud 16 (12)
    Ramsey 13 (8)
    Cazorla 6 (4)
    Walcott 6 (5)
    Podolski 6 (3)
    Ozil 5 (4)
    Wilshere 5 (3)
    Oxlade-Chamberlain 3 (2)
    Arteta 2 (2)
    Mertesacker 2 (2)
    Bendtner 2 (2)
    Rosicky 2 (1)
    Koscielny 1 (1)

Flamini 1 (1)
    Gnabry 1 (1)
    Eisfeld 1 (0)
    Sagna 1 (1)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

So word is its a 3 horse race for the title.

Hopefully if we win a few more games we can break into the title battle. :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ronjo wrote: »
    So word is its a 3 horse race for the title.

Hopefully if we win a few more games we can break into the title battle. :D

Reading winners and losers on F365 and they mention some folks consider us 4th favourites, do Chelsea count as 2 teams now or what?

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Reading winners and losers on F365 and they mention some folks consider us 4th favourites, do Chelsea count as 2 teams now or what?

People seem to be wetting themselves over Liverpool more now that they are 4 points behind than when they are top less than 2 months ago.
    The same people that have us 4th favourites will be the ones slating Wenger if we dont win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Mickeroo wrote: »

Well they've been writing us off whole season, and probably it hurts them seeing us we're still there. May be that's why they've City, Chelsea and even Liverpool a head of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

in fairness liverpool do have a lot of momentum, and no other competitions, and the two most prolific strikers in the league.

dodgy defence aside.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    in fairness liverpool do have a lot of momentum, and no other competitions, and the two most prolific strikers in the league.

dodgy defence aside.

Thats true but you cant ignore that defence.
    They dont have a defensive midfielder and are almost like Ossies Spurs.

bad2dabone wrote: »

dodgy defence aside.

Ya I don't think it is any surprise that Liverpool are ahead of us in the betting.

They are unbeaten in the League this year, have won games they shouldn't have and have an easier run in.

They also have the most important asset of all -Momentum. Surely we remember from 98 how valuable that is.

Id be very and pleasantly surprised if we are ahead of Liverpool after our next 5 games.

Ya I don't think it is any surprise that Liverpool are ahead of us in the betting.

They are unbeaten in the League this year, have won games they shouldn't have and have an easier run in.

They also have the most important asset of all -Momentum. Surely we remember from 98 how valuable that is.

Id be very and pleasantly surprised if we are ahead of Liverpool after our next 5 games.

But look at the recent games they played.

1. An injury time penalty against the bottom team to win.
    2. losing to us in the cup
    3. Beating a team 4 3 that had a tough Europa League game a few days before when they had a week to prepare.
    7 goals conceded in those 3 games.

Yes, they are doing really well overall but I think they are being blown a bit too much up.

• Advertisement

Anyway this is Arsenal thread. Apologies for going off topic.

What a goal by Rosicky!!!!!!!!!

Better than Jacks earlier in the season?????

But look at the recent games they played.

1. An injury time penalty against the bottom team to win.
    2. losing to us in the cup
    3. Beating a team 4 3 that had a tough Europa League game a few days before when they had a week to prepare.
    7 goals conceded in those 3 games.

Yes, they are doing really well overall but I think they are being blown a bit too much up.

True Ronjo but the fact is they are winning them games. That builds belief. After Southampton next week they have 2 weeks off and only 10 games left in theseason. Huge advantage. Serious threat to us and possible title challengers.

True Ronjo but the fact is they are winning them games. That builds belief. After Southampton next week they have 2 weeks off and only 10 games left in theseason. Huge advantage. Serious threat to us and possible title challengers.

They lost last weekend :D

I know what you mean mate. One advantage of them back in the race is that City and Chelsea still have to go there which means all top 4 have to play 2 of the others............ And I am glad we dont have to play United again also.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Anyway this is Arsenal thread. Apologies for going off topic.

What a goal by Rosicky!!!!!!!!!

Better than Jacks earlier in the season?????

I think it's better than Jacks, but only because we needed a good 4 goal victory more now than we did back then. It will have certainly helped the confidence of the team to roll over a team so easily.

Dont agree with that part. On paper, we have the best run in. Liverpool have to play both Chelsea and City during the final games. After Everton (should be still six to play) we dont play any of the top teams.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement