Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ronjo wrote: »
    Anyway this is Arsenal thread. Apologies for going off topic.

What a goal by Rosicky!!!!!!!!!

Better than Jacks earlier in the season?????

Yes it was better than Wilsheres. For me, its the best goal I've seen this season. I'd be surprised if I see a better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I still preferred Wilshere's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I still preferred Wilshere's.

I think Wilshere's was slightly lucky so I'd prefer Rosickys, both great goals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

They lost last weekend :D

I know what you mean mate. One advantage of them back in the race is that City and Chelsea still have to go there which means all top 4 have to play 2 of the others............ And I am glad we dont have to play United again also.

For the next 11 games, I've 7 wins and 4 draws (City, Chelsea, THFC, Everton) which would give us 84 points. A win out of those 4 draws would give us a decent chance I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Dont agree with that part. On paper, we have the best run in. Liverpool have to play both Chelsea and City during the final games. After Everton (should be still six to play) we dont play any of the top teams.

We have Chelsea and City too? Irrespective of when we play them its a harder run especially as only one is at home. I would much rather Liverpool or Chelsea's fixtures.

Our next 5 games:

Stoke (A)
    Spurs (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    Man City (H)
    Everton (A)

To put it in perspective we got 2/15 from these fixtures last year.

In our first run of bad fixtures this year we got 2/9 against Everton/City/Chelsea. Throw Napoli in there and we got 2/12.

In our last set of tough 4 we got the equivalent of 4/12 if you turn the Cup games into points.

We should bear this in mind when looking at points prospects for next few games.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

For the next 11 games, I've 7 wins and 4 draws (City, Chelsea, THFC, Everton) which would give us 84 points. A win out of those 4 draws would give us a decent chance I reckon.

Should be fairly doable to beat both Tottenham and Everton imo, though in no way guaranteed. A draw against City and Chelsea and we'd be there or there abouts come the end. If the team keep the consistency against the smaller teams they've shown all season we're in with a great chance.

Hope they approach the bigger games the way they went at Bayern during the week, it's unlikely they'll be so unlucky again as they were Wednesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

But look at the recent games they played.

1. An injury time penalty against the bottom team to win.
    2. losing to us in the cup
    3. Beating a team 4 3 that had a tough Europa League game a few days before when they had a week to prepare.
    7 goals conceded in those 3 games.

Yes, they are doing really well overall but I think they are being blown a bit too much up.

And let's not forget, despite being off-form, castigated by some of his own supporters, marital problems and being dropped and replaced by a rookie, Giroud has been more prolific than Suarez in February :eek:

Unfortunately, Liverpool have Sturridge to ensure that an off-form Surarez is barely noticed.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Should be fairly doable to beat both Tottenham and Everton imo, though in no way guaranteed. A draw against City and Chelsea and we'd be there or there abouts come the end. If the team keep the consistency against the smaller teams they've shown all season we're in with a great chance.

Hope they approach the bigger games the way they went at Bayern during the week, it's unlikely they'll be so unlucky again as they were Wednesday night.

I would bite your hand off for 8 points against the 4 teams in top 7 we have left to play.

That would leave us right in the mix and our two hardest fixtures would then be Hull and Norwich Away given their situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

We have Chelsea and City too? Irrespective of when we play them its a harder run especially as only one is at home. I would much rather Liverpool or Chelsea's fixtures.

Our next 5 games:

Stoke (A)
    Spurs (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    Man City (H)
    Everton (A)

In our first run of bad fixtures this year we got 2/9 against Everton/City/Chelsea. Throw Napoli in there and we got 2/12.

In our last set of tough 4 we got the equivalent of 4/12 if you turn the Cup games into points.

We should bear this in mind when looking at points prospects for next few games.

Anything between 7-9 would be a decent return from those 5 fixtures.
    and we'll be there or thereabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Our next 5 games:

Stoke (A)
    Spurs (A)
    Chelsea (A)
    Man City (H)
    Everton (A)

I consider the run in to be the last five or six games. After Everton, we dont play another top team whereas Liverpool play both Chelsea and City in that period. We have our toughest games done earlier than any of the others.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    And let's not forget, despite being off-form, castigated by some of his own supporters, marital problems and being dropped and replaced by a rookie, Giroud has been more prolific than Suarez in February :eek:

Unfortunately, Liverpool have Sturridge to ensure that an off-form Surarez is barely noticed.

I wouldnt for a second call Suarez off form. He has been sublime. He has been played on the left/right rather than through the middle and he is creating loads for them, winning penalties and generally been a level above anyone else despite not bagging a few recently.

In fact this drought has me worried as he will probably put it all right in next few games.

I wouldnt for a second call Suarez off form. He has been sublime. He has been played on the left/right rather than through the middle and he is creating loads for them, winning penalties and generally been a level above anyone else despite not bagging a few recently.

In fact this drought has me worried as he will probably put it all right in next few games.

I'm hoping that frustration gets the better of him. and he gets himself another 10 game ban :D

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I consider the run in to be the last five or six games. After Everton, we dont play another top team whereas Liverpool play both Chelsea and City in that period. We have our toughest games done earlier than any of the others.

True but if we come out of the next 5 games similar to last years ones or indeed with only 6/7 points then there will be no run in for us. It will be 4th.

True but if we come out of the next 5 games similar to last years ones or indeed with only 6/7 points then there will be no run in for us. It will be 4th.

WE really need Ramsey back and hope he can get back to speed reasonably quickly. He'll have a huge impact on the run-in.

I'm confidant of beating Stoke, spurs and Everton. City at home so think we can get a draw from that one. Chelsea can go either way. That's 10 for me, and we should be able for 18 from the remaining six, but let's say 15 to allow for a slip up. It'll take some going for anyone else to beat that total. City or Chelsea would have to be almost perfect to get more points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

After all Mourinhos' mouthing off this season Id fcuking love it if we ended his record at stamford bridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jonny666 wrote: »
    After all Mourinhos' mouthing off this season Id fcuking love it if we ended his record at stamford bridge

Jasus you just went and done a Keegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I know it's a cliche but we can't look beyond Stoke away.

It's not an easy game at all.

Just win that and then see where we are for the next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gosplan wrote: »

Massive game. Stoke have taken points of most of the big teams at home already.
    We have to be at our best from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The league betting is strange one alright. Liverpool are bigger favourites to win the league but arsenal are way shorter for a top 3 or top 2 finish. Bookies seem to think it's all or nothing for liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Pretty sure that's just down to way more Liverpool fans getting on the "this could be our year" train and backing them to win it than Arsenal fans do. We've ben bitten too many times before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Pretty sure that's just down to way more Liverpool fans getting on the "this could be our year" train and backing them to win it than Arsenal fans do. We've ben bitten too many times before!

Perhaps. They are both big outsiders. 8/1 about arsenal has a bit of value about it although I do think you will come up short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Chelseas to lose tbh, ahead now and very good fixtures bar for Liverpool away but thats at the end so they could have the points they need by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Still think the title will go to either Chelsea or city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I hate that we're losing hope, still feel myself that we'll come back into this. I'll just wave my little flag on my own, after all many in here laughed off finishing 4th at one stage last year so I won't be swayed to change my views this time either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I feel we have a great chance.

We usually implode by now but we haven't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

If we are within 4 points of the top come the end of March Ill be happy enough all things considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

gosplan wrote: »

stoke away is worrying me, they really hate us and its a **** place to play. Will be a tough one, we need to come out strong.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    stoke away is worrying me, they really hate us and its a **** place to play. Will be a tough one, we need to come out strong.

If Koscielny is back, Im confident we will win.

shano_88 wrote: »
    If Koscielny is back, Im confident we will win.

i think we'll get the win, it's the butchers bill at the end i'm concerned about :)

• Advertisement

i think we'll get the win, it's the butchers bill at the end i'm concerned about :)

Thats always the worry with going to Stoke!

I think he's worth it, considering how much it would cost to find someone of his quiality.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfer-news-bacary-sagna-3179746

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Wish we had 10 (Szczesny is a bit mad so he'd be fine) Flamini's to send out on Saturday - put those Orcs back in their box... or blind them! Whatever he fancies. Nasty little club.

cheap to keep a player of his class, ability and usefulness. 15m. done.

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Wish we had 10 (Szczesny is a bit mad so he'd be fine) Flamini's to send out on Saturday - put those Orcs back in their box... or blind them! Whatever he fancies. Nasty little club.

Send Flamini out to stamp on a few toes early on. Let them know we wont be pushed around and it will be an easy three points.

Theres a good chance Flamini will be playing left back if Monreal doesnt recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Arsenal love slaying Orcs. This week should be no different. They will be worried after we cut the head of the former Orc general earlier in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

What a pack of horrid cnuts they really are
    ramseystoke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

ramseystoke.jpg

I don't think that is real - Orcs can't type!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Good chance to see joel campbell up close tomorrow so looking forward to that

• Advertisement

If we do come through this one with 3 points it would be a massive boost facing the upcoming games.

When looking ahead at the upcoming games I don't mean to be pessimistic and I don't think no wins in 4 would exactly be an implosion or 'same ol recent Arsenal'. I do think we are a different animal but still a growing and developing one. If we don't win the League I think we will lose it in the next 5 games not in the last 6. That would be evidence that we just aren't good enough yet rather than bottling it.

I am very positive about this current side but I remain to be convinced in the big games. Chelsea and Man City fit that bill and I believe Spurs away is too given it's a derby and all that goes with it. Everton are always tough.

As Gosplan regularly states we have shown an ability to stay at the top and lead it and are comfortable playing lesser opposition whereas City and Chelsea don't appear to be. I appreciate that and I genuinely would be gutted if we came out of the next 5 games only 3 points off the top and didn't win the Title. Yet at this moment in time I wouldn't be gutted if we lost the title from here as I kind of expect it if that makes any sense?

So for me the next 5 League games will decide where it is at for Arsenal in the league and that begins on Saturday with a huge obstacle.

Lads I wouldn't give sagna 3yrs at 100k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Lads I wouldn't give sagna 3yrs at 100k a week

neither will wenger/the club. don't worry about it :pac:

batistuta9 wrote: »
    neither will wenger/the club. don't worry about it :pac:

I hope they don't your prob looking at your aging 2nd choice right back on 100k for 2yrs

If he wants a 3yr contract his money should stay the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I hope they don't your prob looking at your aging 2nd choice right back on 100k for 2yrs

I still think he has a good bit to offer for another few years.

He as been brilliant this season. Maybe 80 a week or something.

Our defence looks great for the first time in years, we need to keep it together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i wouldn't mind him staying at the club, he still one of the best RBs' in the league and is versatile too - though i'm not sure is that as good a thing as made out, only 3 CBs' at the club all season, is that because of sagna? Their versatility should be an added bonus not a reason to gamble on no long term injuries/suspensions etc.

here's another story on it, believe it or whatever
    A source close to Sagna said: “He will leave 100 per cent for sure unless Arsenal wake up in the next couple of months and offer him new good terms.

“It would have to be in the region of £6m a season on a three to four year contract, plus a signing-on fee of around £6m.

“He wants to finish his career at Arsenal as long as the board give him the right deal.”
    http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/366846/EXCLUSIVE-Arsenal-s-Bacary-Sagna-wants-24m-deal-to-stay-at-the-Emirates

Another thing worth noting is we will be 5 points clear of City if we win this weekend. I know they will have games in hand but points on the table are clearly more valuable and will certainly put the pressure on them.

Sagnas versatility is invaluable. He played RB, LB, and CB against Sunderland. I really hope he gets a new contract and I really couldn't care what money he is on I just want him to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

shano_88 wrote: »
    Sagnas versatility is invaluable. He played RB, LB, and CB against Sunderland. I really hope he gets a new contract and I really couldn't care what money he is on I just want him to stay.

He can in time be a valuable centre back. Anytime he has played there he has been decent. If he losses his pace with old age his tackling/heading will make up for it through the middle.

I think it's madness getting rid of him.

The only way it would be acceptable is if they had an equal replacement for him which I doubt they have lined up as Sagna is top drawer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

ramseystoke.jpg

All the funnier that he won't be playing there until next year at the earliest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement