Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I hope they don't your prob looking at your aging 2nd choice right back on 100k for 2yrs

If he wants a 3yr contract his money should stay the same

I think you're underestimating how difficult it will be to replace him tbh. It's a standard enough wage for a player of his ability imo. He'll be well able to play at this level for a few more seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating how difficult it will be to replace him tbh. It's a standard enough wage for a player of his ability imo. He'll be well able to play at this level for a few more seasons.

I think next year could be his last as a starter

The contract costs 15m and he is 31 I think?

For an extra 5m we would be looking at a class young RB on about the same wage

I just think we should be looking to replace now

I jut remember the Southampton game where a young and energetic Luke Shaw tore sagna a new one, and I feel his best years are behind him now

I would keep him on but more on our terms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its a cheap deal considering he's our 4th CB. Sign him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its a cheap deal considering he's our 4th CB. Sign him up.

I wouldn't sign him for 3 years though.
    At that money we could get a new and younger r/back like Coleman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Could we though?

Who knows if he wants to leave Everton.

If we paid 20 million and his wages it's a considerable bit of out budget, then maybe verm replacement, New striker and maybe midfield.

A lot easier if sagna stays so we can spend good on a striker and 3rd choice cb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think next year could be his last as a starter

The contract costs 15m and he is 31 I think?

For an extra 5m we would be looking at a class young RB on about the same wage

I just think we should be looking to replace now

I jut remember the Southampton game where a young and energetic Luke Shaw tore sagna a new one, and I feel his best years are behind him now

I would keep him on but more on our terms

The whole Arsenal team were asleep for that 1st half. Based on that performance alone, you'd get rid of the lot of them

greendom wrote: »
    The whole Arsenal team were asleep for that 1st half. Based on that performance alone, you'd get rid of the lot of them

Thought he got roasted all game, but your missing the point

I think we're better investing in younger RB like a luke shaw type, whose best years are ahead of him

Where sagnas best years are behind him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

We should be looking to reinforce and improve the current squad not find replacements. 100k a week is respectable for a player of his level and at 30 he easily has 2/3 years in the tank, if it was only two and the last year was rubber then its still a sound investment.

It also gives jenks 2 more years to develop, he can be horid at times but he has a lot of the characteristics needed to a full back, got to remember he had very littler experience before us and he did well for his age and experience when he got a run last year.

People calling for Coleman is a good call but he was every bit the liability defensively at Jenks age but has matured really well.

Sagna signing is a must for me.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see him stay

Would just rather a younger version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I like Sagna but i don't think his performances have warranted 100k a week. Coleman's already a better player and though we'd need to pay ~15m for him, his wages would still be lower.

• Advertisement

There's no way we'd spend that money on a RB. Sagna is only 31. Got at least another 2 years at full back, then maybe 2 more at CB. Seems like a decent deal to me.

There's no way we'd spend that money on a RB. Sagna is only 31. Got at least another 2 years at full back, then maybe 2 more at CB. Seems like a decent deal to me.

He will prob be starting only one of them seasons

So 100k for a second choice RB and 3/4 choice CB who is heading towards his mid 30s

That's a bit much for me

Thought he got roasted all game, but your missing the point

I think we're better investing in younger RB like a luke shaw type, whose best years are ahead of him

Where sagnas best years are behind him

Perhaps but Wenger has learned from the past when he refused to give extended contracts to players over 30. His experience is one of the reasons we have been so good defensively this season and his versatility is invaluable. Right back, left back, centre back. He does it all with aplomb.

He will prob be starting only one of them seasons

So 100k for a second choice RB and 3/4 choice CB who is heading towards his mid 30s

That's a bit much for me

Second choice RB to who? Jenkinson? We wont spend money on an established RB with Sagna and Jenkinson in the squad. If Sagna goes, Jenkinson wont be promoted to first choice RB next season as he's nowhere near ready. Then do we buy someone who'll be first choice? Whats that going to do to Jenkinson's confidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

AdamD wrote: »
    I like Sagna but i don't think his performances have warranted 100k a week. Coleman's already a better player and though we'd need to pay ~15m for him, his wages would still be lower.

Coleman is having a great season and is probably a better attacking option than Sagna. Sagna is definetly a better defender though.

Saying that, Coleman would be top of my list if Sagna leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

how many games has sagna played at CB? 0 i think

he played there against sunderland away after someone got sent off, did very well but it wasn't the type of threat/match he'd normally face, it was a lot of last ditch stuff, headers out from long balls, etc. + he would've been geared up for it being down to 10 men & what 15-20 on saturday against sunderland again

i wouldn't be counting on him as a CB just yet

Perhaps but Wenger has learned from the past when he refused to give extended contracts to players over 30. His experience is one of the reasons we have been so good defensively this season and his versatility is invaluable. Right back, left back, centre back. He does it all with aplomb.

I agree with that too would just rather a younger player there just my opinion though

+1

with the exception of the two obvious lapses the defense has been as good as it has been for years, why do people want to change it?

Sagna at 31 is nowhere near scrap heap material and 100k is not breaking the bank stuff, the other point is if he falls to second choice a PSG or Monaco would still buy him!

I recon Wenger is very convinced Jenks is the future so if Sagna goes thats what we will be left with and if you ask me thats a season or two too early

Second choice RB to who? Jenkinson? We wont spend money on an established RB with Sagna and Jenkinson in the squad. If Sagna goes, Jenkinson wont be promoted to first choice RB next season as he's nowhere near ready. Then do we buy someone who'll be first choice? Whats that going to do to Jenkinson's confidence?

I think were gonna have to buy I don't think Jenks will cut it not good enough on the ball for me
    Hopefully gets proved wrong though

So after next season I think we will be looking to buy a RB anyway

It has to be taken into account that Sagna in 2 years time will not be the same as Sagna now. Hes already losing his legs. The way we play combined with the general pace of the PL means we need full backs with good pace and stamina, I doubt we'd want a 33 year old Sagna to be first choice RB so 100k pw is just too much. I also think we could improve in that position right now, nevermind in 2 years time.

• Advertisement

I think were gonna have to buy I don't think Jenks will cut it not good enough on the ball for me
    Hopefully gets proved wrong though

So after next season I think we will be looking to buy a RB anyway

I would disagree, I believe Jenks will turn into a top level FB. He has all the skill set the only things he lack is decision making.

Theo had the problem and grew into it with age, so did Coleman, Sturrdige/Sterling are doing it at pool its correction is usually experience

It has to be taken into account that Sagna in 2 years time will not be the same as Sagna now. Hes already losing his legs. The way we play combined with the general pace of the PL means we need full backs with good pace and stamina, I doubt we'd want a 33 year old Sagna to be first choice RB so 100k pw is just too much. I also think we could improve in that position right now, nevermind in 2 years time.

Then he gets replaced then not now if he deteriorates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Sagna's already shown he's a capable back up centre half. Thankfully we've not had to utilise him there yet this season to the best of my knowledge.

He's experienced and is always 100% committed. I think if we're to view Carl Jenkinson as his eventual replacement then we have to keep him. Hopefully by the time he hits 33/34 it'll be Jenkinson and Bellerin duking it out for the RB slot.

As an aside; anyone know how the kids are doing? Any of them likely to make a breakthrough in the next year? Any potential Wilshere's on our hands?

Soups123 wrote: »
    Then he gets replaced then not now if he deteriorates.

Then you have a 100k pw player on the books sitting on the bench? Hardly great forward planning.
    cson wrote: »
    Sagna's already shown he's a capable back up centre half. Thankfully we've not had to utilise him there yet this season to the best of my knowledge.

He's experienced and is always 100% committed. I think if we're to view Carl Jenkinson as his eventual replacement then we have to keep him. Hopefully by the time he hits 33/34 it'll be Jenkinson and Bellerin duking it out for the RB slot.

As an aside; anyone know how the kids are doing? Any of them likely to make a breakthrough in the next year? Any potential Wilshere's on our hands?
    Zelalem and Crowley are CMs who look very good. Doubt either will be much use for at least 18 months though, given our options in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Does Coleman not play on the right of midfield more than right back these days?

Also, looks like his contract runs to 2018. He wouldnt come cheap.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Does Coleman not play on the right of midfield more than right back these days?

Also, looks like his contract runs to 2018. He wouldnt come cheap.
    Hes played RB for the last 2 seasons, not RM.

Then you have a 100k pw player on the books sitting on the bench? Hardly great forward planning.

The forward planning is Jenkinson? I am not Arsene but I suspect thats his plan.

As for selling him now because he will deteriorate in 2 years, that doesnt make sense. For next year and the year after he is more than capable of playing first choice and being as strong in his position as there is, for me his level warrants 100k.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think Bellerin might still be at he back of Wenger's mind yet too. I'd love to sign Coleman too, but there's no way he'd go for anything less than 25m imo and I can't see them spending that much on RB. If they buy a new RB it will be someone from La Liga for 10m tops I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

There is also stability to think of. At the moment our starting back 5 have a great understanding and are just now finding the right chemistry to defend well. A new RB would have us nearly starting again.

If jenks is the answer then we would still need cover in that area and for me that would move us backwards from where we are now.

I have no doubt that AW wants Sagna to stay but he probably sees someone else in that position over the next few years and no way wants a 100k player as backup as far away as 3 years.

I wonder would he take 100k for 2 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Joel Campbell starting for Olympiacos against United...would be sweet if he managed to score the winner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Seems Gibbs injury isn't too serious and could be back for Saturday.

Joel Campbell!

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

We should buy that Campbell lad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

So that's Joel Campbell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

And we kept Bendtner??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Welcome to London, Joel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Arsene sir get on that blower and get Campbell back to the Emirates asap :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

How did we not take 6 points off United ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

x PyRo wrote: »
    We should buy that Campbell lad...

His on loan and is an arsenal player :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Oh dear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Up until the goal Campbell was quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Pudders wrote: »
    How did we not take 6 points off United ffs?

because we lack conviction against them and they know it. we fear them. no one else does anymore but we still do.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Arsene sir get on that blower and get Campbell back to the Emirates asap :pac::pac:

He is probably less raw than Sanogo

bad2dabone wrote: »
    because we lack conviction against them and they know it. we fear them. no one else does anymore but we still do.

Missing Walcott for both matches didn't help.

Can't say I was overly impressed with him before the goal but it was very well taken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

wow how did arsenal not take 6 points off of united?

united are the worse team in the league never mind Europe. Jesus Christ has United fallen that badly?

Moyes for president. Hope he stays at united for another 6 years hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Up until the goal Campbell was quiet.

Which is true, nothing stood out really but great finish be a good squad player though.

Van Persie must be kicking himself now that he's now stuck in the same position now that he was with Arsenal for a few years. A team that's going through a rebuilding process, he thought he be winning medals non stop when joining Utd. Now he might not be getting CL football next season :p. Makes me smile. I know many will say he won a League medal but I can't see that Utd team winning anything for a few years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gnabry got a goal against Shakhtar for the under-19s too, a nice night for developing Arsenal talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Maire2009 wrote: »
    And we kept Bendtner??!!

Ah now. He's scored 1 goal and done little else. Not saying Bendtner's great but this proves little about Campbell's credentials.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement